Thread: Druid tanking?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Druid tanking?

Hey

I have been thinking about leveling a druid to 60 and using the level 90 boost and was wondering what and how the druids tank in endgame is it hard to figure out and is it viable in endgame content?

Deleted
    Idk about other people's opinions, but I find it extremely boring. (I'm not a hardcore raider tho)

Druid tanks are honestly my favorite tanks. The have received significant buffs over the expansion and are now perfectly fine for end game. I played a Feral (Bear) Tank for 5 years before Mists.

Deleted
    Okay do you guys think it will be the same in WOD

Quote Originally Posted by fc0712 View Post
    Okay do you guys think it will be the same in WOD
    From what I've seen, they're trying to redeem themselves with this expansion in every aspect.

So yes, I'm sure druid tanking will be solid in WoD, but no one can say for sure.

Deleted
    Okay then i think i will rolling a druid

- - - Updated - - -

How is it about tanking in low levels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Low lvl tanking is very tricky. 15-21, you only have 1 abilities that deal damage, Mangle and Maul. At 22, you get Swipe for a bit of AoE threat, but then you don't get anything until Thrash, which is much higher lvl. You will have a harder time with a druid in low lvl dungeons then any other tank.

End game is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Okay then i think i will rolling a druid

- - - Updated - - -

How is it about tanking in low levels?
    Still boring in my opinion, and lackluster at low levels Swipe at level 22 and with cooldown, no real "spam" key.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Low lvl tanking is very tricky. 15-21, you only have 1 abilities that deal damage, Mangle and Maul. At 22, you get Swipe for a bit of AoE threat, but then you don't get anything until Thrash, which is much higher lvl. You will have a harder time with a druid in low lvl dungeons then any other tank.

End game is fine.
    Trash is level 28, so not much to go after Swipe .

OT: Bears have 1 bad weakness and that is they have no way to reduce physical damage taken without CDs.

All other tanks have some way to reduce damage intake from physical hits(Blood Shield, ShotR, Shield Block, Stagger(OP!)) while bears have only Dodge, and some abilities(such as Nazgrim Execute) can't be dodged. Here lies the reason for Bear Form health buff going from 5.3 to 5.4, many Bear tanks in PTR were complaining that Execute can't be dodged, Bears wouldn't have any way to reliably survive it without using CDs or Externals.

Bears however are excellent at tanking magic damage fights due to their self healing and increased health pool. Frenzied Regen scales phenomenally and during Berserk you can keep yourself alive by your own pretty much with high Vengeance.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    Still boring in my opinion, and lackluster at low levels Swipe at level 22 and with cooldown, no real "spam" key.
    We haven't really had a spam key since Wrath, and spamming swipe non stop was really silly although mind numbingly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    OT: Bears have 1 bad weakness and that is they have no way to reduce physical damage taken without CDs.
    Yes, but we can heal our selves to full just as fast while the other tanks can not do this. Really this "weakness" only affects Guardian tanks on certain boss fights.
    Last edited by rated; 2014-03-03 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    Yes, but we can heal our selves to full just as fast while the other tanks can not do this. Really this "weakness" only affects Guardian tanks on certain boss fights.
    There are just certain things that can't be healed, AKA one shots. That's why Bears are kind of weak, no way to prevent one shots other than use stamina trinkets where other tanks just use their active mitigation.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go for it, I have never experienced boring tanking, In my opinion, anyone getting bored with it, either are not playing it properly, or are just bored in general:P I love druids, I have 3at 90 and a 6 twink, And they are great, So much utility aswell, and at the moment great cooldowns, I always outDPS the DPS when I blow cooldowns in HCs/Scenarios, raiding they're great for tanking with aswell, I would suggest going for it^^ Enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

There are just certain things that can't be healed, AKA one shots. That's why Bears are kind of weak, no way to prevent one shots other than use stamina trinkets where other tanks just use their active mitigation.
    Well if there is a one shot mechanic you use cooldowns, We have Barkskin and survival instincts, the latter being very good, and will avoid most of these situations, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Deleted
    Thank you

I will wait to decide if i I'm gonna play a druid it depends on the changes for the different classes in WOD

15+ Year Old Account
    the game will be balanced, so any tank will be fine (apart from shaman tanks), so it comes down to what rotation / abilites you like.
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Thank you

I will wait to decide if i I'm gonna play a druid it depends on the changes for the different classes in WOD
    Good idea! Lots of changes coming down the line for everyone, so making predictions about balance and viability cannot be made yet for WoD. From the lvl 100 talents that were released, it's clear that Blizz knows the weakness of Guardians and plans to address them, regardless if the talents remain or not.

Pretty confident that Guardians will be just as viable as any other class of tank, and I don't think we'll be seeing any major changes to how we'd actual execute a tanking rotation. Pretty confident != fact, we'll just sit tight for now.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2014-03-03 at 05:35 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post

Well if there is a one shot mechanic you use cooldowns, We have Barkskin and survival instincts, the latter being very good, and will avoid most of these situations, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.
    Thing is, Paladins don't have to use anything but their Shield of the Righteous, 45-50% damage reduction just like that, BAM. Monks don't even have to press a button.

Deleted
    There is not a single ability a druid tank can't take in SoO hc. I admit a paladin might have the edge on reducing physical damage but guardian has lots more armor and can insta heal him back up after a big hit.
    If the 100 talents stay as they are (prob aren't) druids will get the option to an absorb and thus have more abilities to reduce relative damage.

Druids currently do really good damage with little/no vengeance which also helps a lot.

Deleted
    Are you serious?

Bears have the highest armor value in game, and if they want, can go upto 85% PHYSICAL damage reduction with reforging and gemming. Saying they have no way to reduce physical damage without a cd is dumb, since they generally eat physical damage for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebonj View Post
    Are you serious?

Bears have the highest armor value in game, and if they want, can go upto 85% PHYSICAL damage reduction with reforging and gemming. Saying they have no way to reduce physical damage without a cd is dumb, since they generally eat physical damage for breakfast.
    "I heard things somewhere and never checked if they were remotely accurate, and they say bears are OP!"
    (330k armor is not something you're reaching without rune + delicate vial, definitely not getting anywhere close with reforging and gemming.)

And yes, that is serious. It doesn't really come up as often since they band-aid buffed our stamina and Barkskin, but it's been a pain for most of the expansion. Not really relevant for next expansion because we have no idea how we'll work next expansion, but slightly relevant for what little remains of this expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebonj View Post
    Are you serious?

While as said before it is possible, its defenatly not optimal. My toon bear has 75% Armor (character sheet) and is pretty much in full bis gear (not counting wf items and still missing an amp trinket). 85% would sacrifice so much crit and its not really worth it since there is no boss ability that one shots you that you can't have a CD for.