Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I'm starting to question if you even played back then because it was just as common, if not more common, than it is now...
    Also, if you have an issue with it, bring it up with Blizzard as they're the ones who see it as a legitimate PvP tactic.
    Not sure where did you get in my post that corpse camping never occurred in vanilla?

I said that people who do corpse camping today and call it "World PvP" have definitely NOT played the Southshore/Crossroads battles of Vanilla.

Whoever did fight in the fun and "organic" big world PvP battles during Vanilla would NEVER call corpse camping "the World PvP"
    , since it is an absolute insult to the (long dead) memories of true World PvP.

p.s.
    Before you start to question other people, make sure you read their posts properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Not sure where did you get in my post that corpse camping never occurred in vanilla?

I said that people who do corpse camping today and call it "World PvP" have definitely NOT played the Southshore/Crossroads battles of Vanilla.

Whoever did fight in the fun and "organic" big world PvP battles during Vanilla would NEVER call corpse camping "the World PvP"
    , since it is an absolute insult to the (long dead) memories of true World PvP.

p.s.
    Before you start to question other people, make sure you read their posts properly.
    I read your post perfectly fine, here's the part that was directed at:

Corpse campers have never seen the good old fights of vanilla southshore and crossroads...
    If corpse campers were around back then, then they would remember those events. It's not like those were rare events or anything.

I'm pretty sure I never accused you of saying that. Man, the irony of you telling me to read posts...

But lets get more on to your point:
    I did and I still refer to corpse camping as World PvP and more importantly Blizzard was (obviously) around back then and they still refer to it as World PvP. So that statement is completely false as I just provided 2 sources that say otherwise.

Your opinion can be whatever you want it to be, bud. Just don't try to pass it off as fact especially when the Devs state otherwise.

Developers call corpse camping a form of world pvp because it is pvp happening in the outside world - it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

During vanilla there was awesome world pvp in certain places which died out during TBC - it all got replaced by fly mount gank groups (5v1) and corpse camping.

Obviously ALL OF THAT is technically classified as World PvP (pvp happening in the outside world) - but no gamer that has played THE AWESOME vanilla world pvp will ever piss on the good fun of hillsbrad/crossroads by referring to corpse camping as World PvP, regardless of how it is today classified.

Not sure are you just trying to be illogical, ignorant or just wanna troll - if you can not understand these simple sentences after my 3rd post, then just stop bothering to read and post...

10+ Year Old Account
    Developers call corpse camping a form of world pvp because it is pvp happening in the outside world - it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

During vanilla there was awesome world pvp in certain places which died out during TBC - it all got replaced by fly mount gank groups (5v1) and corpse camping.

Obviously ALL OF THAT is technically classified as World PvP (pvp happening in the outside world) - but no gamer that has played THE AWESOME vanilla world pvp will ever piss on the good fun of hillsbrad/crossroads by referring to corpse camping as World PvP, regardless of how it is today classified.

Not sure are you just trying to be illogical, ignorant or just wanna troll - if you can not understand these simple sentences after my 3rd post, then just stop bothering to read and post...
    Except I do refer to it as World PvP nonetheless.

Was the Southshore stuff way more fun? Imo, yeah I agree it was more fun, but like I said, I still see Corpse camping as World PvP.

As you said, World PvP is defined by "pvp happening in the outside world", not by whether or not it was fun or not. And despite me and you enjoying it more than corpse camping, I'm sure there is someone out there who has played back then who still enjoys corpse camping more. It illogical to ignore that possibility.

This got blown out of proportion. My issue was with you saying that everyone who played back then doesn't view corpse camping as wPvP, which is quite simply false. Just kinda irked me.

Regardless, I'm dropping this mini-argument. Your point is apparently: "Southshore PvP was way better than corpse camping" which like I said, I agree with.

Guys,lets be honest here wpvp was only real when BGs didnt exist,and the wpvp that existed was a mess people that say that wpvp was a big real thing back then probably didnt play or are just nostalgic,its the same thing when people say that pvp in vanilla took more skill than nowadays,its just nostalgia the best example are the warriors in vanilla that had mortal strike and overpower to press and that was it

My realm has some really competitive WPvP going, as in we will constantly raid each other's town and capital cities. It's quite a bit of fun actually, and I will sometimes find myself organizing a small raid to attack cross-roads and get some WPvP flowing.

TI is a perfect example of WoW PvP done without structure or support.

When you throw in sandbox elements where players claim interactive objects / resources, boosted by faction NPCs, then it becomes more than just a run of the mill gank fest. Yes, you've seen some pretty terrible demonstrations of what world PvP can devolve into, but that has no bearing for what heights it could soar towards. To make it truly and honestly work, you need a dedicated world pvp development team pouring their time and effort into providing structure and support elements and crafting a comprehensive system from the ground up. The game world needs to revolve around such a feature, not just pass it off as a cheap trick.

I'm sorry that TI has become WoW's idea of world PvP. That certainly isn't the dream we players thought of when we chose a PvP server those many years ago.

Deleted
    Based on the attitudes displayed in these threads Blizzard should replace the label of "PVP server" with something more appropriate like;

"player vs vindictive little sociopaths who didn't get enough hugs as kids".

Because it seems very clear to me that few people are interested in differentiating between constructive, fun world pvp and just trying to make other people miserable because "lulz who cares it's just a video game XD". Really it just demonstrates the disgusting attitudes displayed by the modern generations; Give these people even the smallest opportunity to act like an antisocial scrote and they're all too happy to oblige.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's just for fun, that's it. You shouldn't think that peoples actions in-game are who they are IRL, or that it may show what their personality is like. We're playing a game. Nothing more. Don't be so serious.
    And this is the problem; You have obviously been exposed or involved in so much anti-social behavior that you are desensitized to it. You have lost that basic ability to empathize with the other player because the other player is no longer a human in your eyes but a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification is never acceptable behavior. The fact that this is a game makes this kind of attitude and behavior LESS acceptable, not MORE acceptable. Would you go around in your daily life intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification? If the answer is yes then congratulations you're probably a sociopath. If the answer is no then you need to ask yourself why does it suddenly become OK to be a dickhole to someone on the internet when it's not OK to be a dickhole in person.
    Last edited by mmoceb57a9265c; 2014-03-10 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkus View Post
    And this is the problem; You have obviously been exposed or involved in so much anti-social behavior that you are desensitized to it. You have lost that basic ability to empathize with the other player because the other player is no longer a human in your eyes but a bunch of pixels on a monitor. Intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification is never acceptable behavior. The fact that this is a game makes this kind of attitude and behavior LESS acceptable, not MORE acceptable. Would you go around in your daily life intentionally making other people miserable for your own gratification? If the answer is yes then congratulations you're probably a sociopath. If the answer is no then you need to ask yourself why does it suddenly become OK to be a dickhole to someone on the internet when it's not OK to be a dickhole in person.
    Can I see your psychology degree please? I mean, you seem to think that you know what you're talking about, so I'm sure you have something to backup this otherwise armchair psychology.

Deleted
    Obviously I am not making a professional diagnosis, however you don't need to be a professional to spot textbook sociopathic behavior.

Deleted
    The only fun in WPVP i have in Vanilla.It was massive 24/7 ppl from your faction comes to help ya when you ask in channels which lead to bigger fighting eachothers groups
    Now is just bored you will encounter a group of ppl who will smash you down and chance to get help from your faction ppl is close to zero no mater what balance realm have

If the answer is no then you need to ask yourself why does it suddenly become OK to be a dickhole to someone on the internet when it's not OK to be a dickhole in person.
    Uh, that's pretty obvious. It's called 'lack of consequences'. As it's not happening in the real world where everyone can see your behavior, most especially the one on the recieving end, and people will never know that KillaDeffGawd187 is really Paul Grady, mild-mannered office drone, then you get away with it. And IMO nothing of any real import was lost or harmed. Long as Paul Grady never gets it in his head to start imitating this behavior in his RL, all is fine and good.

Never, ever forget the GIFT.

Deleted
    Again, it's a GAME. Someone's actions (not verbal) in a game in no way reflects who they are as a person IRL.
    It reflects that you are someone who has extremely "flexible" morals, a person who only avoids doing wrong as long as doing wrong has immediate consequences. As soon as there are no immediate consequences to your actions you're acting in a way that would be utterly unacceptable in daily life and I think that speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. The fact that you think it's MORE justifiable to act in an antisocial manner in a activity designed for fun and leisure also speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.

Uh, that's pretty obvious. It's called 'lack of consequences'. As it's not happening in the real world where everyone can see your behavior, most especially the one on the recieving end, and people will never know that KillaDeffGawd187 is really Paul Grady, mild-mannered office drone, then you get away with it.
    I know it's pretty obvious, I just wanted to see if I could get them to admit this themselves.

And IMO nothing of any real import was lost or harmed. Long as Paul Grady never gets it in his head to start imitating this behavior in his RL, all is fine and good.
    I would have to disagree with this. Again it follows the rather unsavory line of thinking that being antisocial is acceptable as long as there are no direct consequences, by which I mean consequences that affect YOU. It's a very selfish line of thinking and it's quite depressing that it seems to have become the modus operandi of a lot of people who play online games today.

It's a game in which you can find pleasure in the suffering of others, that you yourself are causing, without real world consequences

Breaking news..shocking revelation.. People hiding out in video games fulfill their fantasies of being a criminal and getting away with it!

Ban video games

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Why, just why? Don't roll on pvp if you can't take being ganked.

When my lvl50 gets ganked 3 times in the row by the same guy 90 in 5minutes I get mildly upset and start to think that said ganker has a small penis. Still it doesn't mean that the system is broken.
    All of this

Deleted
    I gank, camp, and go into groups on TI killing people for my coins. I'm not what you described above, so your point has been proven wrong.
    You have proven nothing other than how deep you are willing to bury your head in the sand while repeating the mantra "it's just a game".

I sit down to play a game of Monopoly with a group of people. Half way into the game I start flicking other player's pieces off the board, because it's "fun". They ask me to stop, I tell them to stop complaining because it's "Just a game". They tell me I'm being antisocial, I tell them that I'm having fun and no one is forcing them to play with me. They call me an arsehole but I tell them the way I act while playing Monopoly doesn't reflect how I act in the rest of my daily life. They all stand up and walk away and I congratulate myself on another successful game of Monopoly.

Is this something you would do? After all Monopoly is just a game. If not, is it because you feel it's fundamentally wrong to act that way, or is it because you simply wouldn't want to face the direct consequences of your actions?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Snip

Give me a game like GTAV and I will go on a rampage and kill everything in sight.

IRL I say please and thank you, and hold doors for people.

Don't try to diagnose people from an online game. It doesn't work.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Porkus if how we act inside fantasy worlds is an extension of our true selves.. why haven't the majority of us that can tell the difference between fantasy and reality done any of this shit IRL?

Deleted
    Porkus if how we act inside fantasy worlds is an extension of our true selves.. why haven't the majority of us that can tell the difference between fantasy and reality done any of this shit IRL?
    That's the question I'm asking. What is stopping people from being antisocial in "real life"? Is it because they have a belief that acting that way is fundamentally wrong and unacceptable, or is it because there are more immediate consequences for doing so? If the answer is that only consequences prevent their actions then that's quite disturbing. If they know that acting a certain way is fundamentally wrong, then why do they still do it online? It seems Winter Blossom doesn't want to answer this question, possibly because s/he does not like the answer?

Also while WoW may be a "fantasy" world it is inhabited by "real" people.

In the game of monopoly, your goal is to fuck over your friends so you can control the board and get their money.
    So is that how you view Monopoly? Do you often view "competitive" games as opportunities to "fuck over" the other player? The game can certainly be played in an extremely aggressive cut-throat manner if you chose to, and technically there is nothing in the rules which says you can't flick other player's pieces off the board. Just as world PVP gives you the opportunity to grief players that are half your level and camp graveyards; it does not necessarily mean these things are the GOAL of world PVP.