Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Mage] WoD Minor Talents - guessing game

Hey y'all

So I imagined this thread to be a fun passtime while we get more information, to get our heads out of the gutter and depression caused by talking about the big talents.

We know that the Water Elemental's new spell will be a minor talent for Frost. What other fun stuff can you think about that could be fun? Do you think some old set bonuses could be used as new minor talents? For example, I'd really love to see the Arcane T16 set bonuses as minor talents for Arcane and I think it could easily happen.

If someone doesn't know - minor talents are the spec perks we will be getting from level 91 to 99.

Comment with your ideas, wishes, thoughts and suggestions and discuss. Just try to make it fun

Oh and I'll also do my best to keep track of all ideas in this post so at the end we can check what we got right and what was just ridiculous.
    ________

Current ideas:

General:
    - Improved Blink (Imnick)

Arcane:
    - T16 set bonuses (Shang)

Frost:
    - Water Elemental extra spell (Blizzard - confirmed for now)
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2014-03-03 at 10:55 PM.
    My magic will tear you apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minor talents seem interesting, but I'm not really sure how they work :S

Will you have like a second talent tree with options to choose from that affect yours gameplay a little bit? If so, I would like the option to remove Icicles from firing when you use Ice Lance and instead have them launch when you use Fire Blast ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there will be no choice. It is Blizzard's way to make us feel like we are becoming more powerful with every level up. So every spec will get passive buffs or abilities at levels 91-99.
    My magic will tear you apart.

I'd certainly be pleased with the earlier suggestion of a return of Improved Blink.

Fireball has a new icon

But yeah. Am not really sure. Maybe Invis gets upped to greater Invis(if it's not a talent anymore). Poly gets a breaking protection or dot removal on landing. Counterspell gets the cast while channeling by base. Take ur pick am really bad at this though.

Arcane
    91 - broken sheep stuns for 3 sec
    92 - you become invisible for 2 seconds after Blink
    93 - Arcane Barrage has no cooldown
    94 - Counterspell can be cast while channeling
    95 - upon finishing Evocation heals you for 40% max life (assuming 2 min cd on Evo)
    96 - upon receiving fatal damage, treats your mana as life extension
    97 - invisibility no longer has 3 sec fade out
    98 - Arcane Power becomes Archon - increase damage by x% and decrese incoming damage by y% for 15 seconds, 3 min cd
    99 - you take less damage the more mana you have (up to 15% mitigation at 100%)

PS Had to actually work, so didn't have time for Fire and Frost. =)

You're not getting an immediate target break/aggro drop on a 15 second cooldown, plus it would make Blink completely impossible to use while Soloing because you'd reset the mobs every time you cast it
    You're not getting Arcane Barrage without a cooldown because Blizzard said they want to make Ranged worse at casting on the move, not better
    At a three minute cooldown, Archon sounds completely inferior to Arcane Power even if it gives three times the damage bonus (and no class wants to be balanced around doing 60% additional damage every three minutes, your spells would hit like wet paper the rest of the time)

1) Blink doesn't need to lose threat, similar to Shadowmeld, but you have a point about soloing. The idea is to emphasize the disorientation a Blink can provide for your enemy. A Mirror Image (which looks in a random direction) can stand still and fade out for these 2 seconds or until the next spell is cast, which cancels the invisibility. A fun Arcane-only trick imo.
    2) A general rule of less instants doesn't automatically make any exceptions impossible. Having in mind the exceptional immobility of Arcane and possible loss of Fireblast and/or Ice Lance, the weak instant without any utility isn't hard to imagine. However it'll let Arcane do at least something while moving. Arcane Missiles on the move would've been appropriate here, but looks like it's off the table.
    3) The numbers don't matter. 3 minutes, 1.5 minutes - whatever. The general idea is making AP a little more interesting while also letting the spec be playable in PVP without heavy support squad. However I didn't mean for the buff to be 60%, more like 20-30%.
    Last edited by Nightfall; 2014-03-04 at 06:59 PM.

Would it be more interesting with a longer cooldown and more of a damage bonus?
    I mean... you just seem to have made it stronger, and removed the "interesting" part which was that you had to think about when to use it a little bit (but not really).

Yeah, the mana thing isn't really relevant. But the bigger this damage bonus gets, the more important Archon phase will become. Thus any misplay or unfortunate rng will screw all your efforts.

level 95: Polymorph sheep gets an updated model

In light of recent events with Chaos Wave and Divine Star there's a small chance we'll see Arcane Barrage or Arcane Missiles or some new Arcane spell do divine damage (Arcane+Holy). The reasoning is being heavily punished for being locked from Arcane school and possible cut of spells (Fireblast, Ice Lance, Frostfire bolt).

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    In light of recent events with Chaos Wave and Divine Star there's a small chance we'll see Arcane Barrage or Arcane Missiles or some new Arcane spell do divine damage (Arcane+Holy). The reasoning is being heavily punished for being locked from Arcane school and possible cut of spells (Fireblast, Ice Lance, Frostfire bolt).
    No. First, Mages have nothing to do with Holy, second, for this case devs could always return some Frost of Fire spell. Oh, wait, they already have, Arcane can use Frosfire Bolt when locked out of Arcane!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    I don't think we'll get a spell that deals 'Divine' damage, but maybe they'll give us a spell that deals, I don't know, 'Chromatic' damage which would be Arcane, Fire and Frost all together (or maybe another spell that deals Frostfire damage or Arcanefire/Arcanefrost).

Anyway, here are my minor talent ideas (I don't know if they'll have names, but I added them for fun):

Arcane

Relentless Power: You always have an Arcane charge active which regenerates over 6 seconds after being used.

Dampen Magic: You take 20% less damage from spells.

Overwhelming Explosions: The radius of your Arcane Explosion spell is increased by 200% and its damage is increased by 50%. In addition, Arcane Explosion reduces the movement speed of all affected targets by 10%. Stacks up to 4 times.

Illusion Mastery: Your Mirror Image spell generates 5 additional copies of yourself, but their overall damage remains the same. In addition, your mirror images mimic all of your actions. (This would be fun but I'm not sure if the Mirror Image spell will remain in our spellbook or become a talent in the grid.)

Torment the Weak: Whenever you use Arcane Barrage, you launch a second, free Arcane Barrage that deals 50% of its normal damage.

Fire

Sunstrider's Fury: Your Fireball and Pyroblast now explode upon impact, dealing additional damage to the target and to nearby enemies.

Frost

Frostbite: Enemies hit by Frost Nova have their damage reduced by 45% and their healing reduced by 10% for 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Alexand3r; 2014-03-05 at 09:09 AM.

I'd like Illusion Mastery but I'm thinking that's far more likely to be a glyph than a levelling bonus, entirely cosmetic stuff is probably not the idea :P
    Also have a feeling it's unlikely all ten of our talents would be this interesting (one of the examples was "more fireball damage", though that was an early example and unlikely to make it live) but we can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    No. First, Mages have nothing to do with Holy, second, for this case devs could always return some Frost of Fire spell. Oh, wait, they already have, Arcane can use Frosfire Bolt when locked out of Arcane!
    - First, Priests have nothing to do with Arcane, yet their Divine Star does Divine damage now (Arcane+Holy).
    - Second, please read what I actually wrote about spell lock and Frostfire bolt.
    - Third, can you be less smug with "oh, wait - X!" commentaries? The forums are for discussion, not for mocking any idea you personally dislike.

Chromatic bolt is an idea that's been floating around for quite some time. I've always liked this concept.
    Last edited by Nightfall; 2014-03-05 at 10:30 AM.

Deleted
    or we can get Magic Missile with arcane-fire-frost-holy-shadow-nature dmg
    Last edited by mmocec88429560; 2014-03-06 at 09:10 AM.

Level 93 - Arcane Missiles become Disintegrate. Disintegrate pierces everyone in front of you, range 40 yards
    Screw those other classes who think Disintegrate is too bright and blocks half of their screens. It's great!

Fireball: +35% Damage

^ Not confirmed, but shown at Blizzcon, and I wouldn't put it past them to make Fireball useful as a "minor talent".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetesh View Post
    or we can get Magic Missile with arcane-fire-frost-holy-shadow-nature dmg
    There's already a type for that: Chaos, except it also includes Physical (but never uses it because Armor lulz)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Your pyroblast, arcane missiles, and frostfire bolt refresh the duration of magebomb. (Makes it so you dont always have to waste a global to refresh it, but rather use procs to refresh. Hardcasting these spells (pyro and frostfire) do not refresh, so you could not POM refresh.