Thread: Race elitism

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bllets View Post
    Have you ever spent 2 hours figuring out if a choice between A or B was the best option?

Now I've spent about 6 hours finding out if A, B or C was the best option in WoW and it is by far one of my best experiences I've had doing something alone in WoW. Theorycrafting, min/max, etc. are FUN for some people.

Getting the 300 food instead of the 250 food takes quite a lot more gold/farming, but I would still say it is worth it.
    If you like doing that sort of thing, all the more power to you. But essentially forcing other people into such habits is nonsense. I usually just go with what makes sense, or seems the most aesthetically pleasing for the race/class/spec I'm going to be choosing. I have transmogs picked out for characters before they even leave the starting zones, which can often alter the choices regarding potential questing zones. I'm an altoholic and a transmog junky, not a min/maxer. Granted, some of my characters are some of the best combos you can get, IE:Orc Hunter/Troll Priest, and others were just sort of formulated without much thought other than what they will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    If you like doing that sort of thing, all the more power to you. But essentially forcing other people into such habits is nonsense. I usually just go with what makes sense, or seems the most aesthetically pleasing for the race/class/spec I'm going to be choosing. I have transmogs picked out for characters before they even leave the starting zones, which can often alter the choices regarding potential questing zones. I'm an altoholic and a transmog junky, not a min/maxer. Granted, some of my characters are some of the best combos you can get, IE:Orc Hunter/Troll Priest, and others were just sort of formulated without much thought other than what they will look like.
    Then this thread isn't aimed at you. It's really just aimed at the people who want to perform in the top echelon and that excludes me.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you make a raiding guild aiming to be the best you take 1% from anywhere you can get it. Your 17 dps doing 1% more damage that is 17% more total damage you add to your raid team. 17% is a massive difference between a kill or not.
    Aye mate

So much this.. At least we have CL to stay important!
    Unfortunately that is likely only true for normal raiding guilds my guild has been through around 6 warlocks so far and only 2 have passed their trial and 1 just barely all of the ones that joined were 570ish or even higher.

The point is that you pretty much expect this kinda of behavour in some guilds. If you join a guild that raids 6 days a week, you should expect that there will be some requirements for this. Race chance is most likely very low on the list for most or not on the list at all. But for some guilds a 0.06% can make the difference.

Furthermore if you join this type of guild, you really should want to do this by yourself without there being requirements for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    Unfortunately that is likely only true for normal raiding guilds my guild has been through around 6 warlocks so far and only 2 have passed their trial and 1 just barely all of the ones that joined were 570ish or even higher.
    Well the class requires people to play it as well, but you can't deny that warlocks are a very desired DPS class right now. Top DPS, unique utility, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Your 17 dps doing 1% more damage that is 17% more total damage you add to your raid team. 17% is a massive difference between a kill or not.
    Re-think about that statement

Furthermore if you join this type of guild, you really should want to do this by yourself without there being requirements for this.
    Eurgh they ask me to get professions and gem/enchant my gear aswell... fucking elitists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tseng View Post
    Your 17 dps doing 1% more damage that is 17% more total damage you add to your raid team.
    Re-think about that statement
    Was gonna mention it aswell, but no-one like's a Math Nazi.

MATH NAZI!!!
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-03-04 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindahuge View Post
    Awww sum1 gawt his feeewings huwt.
    Elitist. /morechars

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you make a raiding guild aiming to be the best you take 1% from anywhere you can get it. Your 17 dps doing 1% more damage that is 17% more total damage you add to your raid team. 17% is a massive difference between a kill or not.
    you're hurting my brain

I think if people take the game so seriously that they behave like this, they need to find another hobby. No sense in making a fun activity a job.
    If you're in one of those guilds that compete to reach world first kills, I think it kind of is a job, in that it requires similiar dedication to professional sportsmen - including things like most optimal spec, professions, maybe even race, yes (I recall hearing about those guilds changing to Horde, because of racials).

Heck, to a smaller degree it even functions in less "hardcore" guilds - back in Cataclysm, I used to be in fairly relaxed guild (serious about raiding, but not too hardcore - like, be enchanted, gemmed, have flasks and know tactics, but fairly relaxed, pretty standard stuff I guess) - when we were progressing through Firelands, I was playing a hunter, with Survival as my preferred spec (I just like it the most). For Shannox, as we needed hard hitting abilities to interrupt one of the dog adds' (Rageface? I think) ability, they asked me to offspec into Marksmanship for Chimera Shot (as SRV didn't have anything, that'd hit hard enough), or maybe I volunteered myself, can't remember - either way, I did.

Sure, it's hardly as a big deal as race changing - but I also wasn't in world firsts' level guild (and I wouldn't want to be in one, even if I was good enough - that'd require more dedication, than I'm willing to put into video game) - for them, who often do the fights first (no videos to watch etc.), and without having time to farm gear for weeks, every little bit probably matters much more.

Deleted
    By refusing to race change to the superior race for your class, you are basically saying you don't care enough about your character to do what is needed to put out maximum output.

I die a little inside when I see blood elf dps caster who call themselves "hardcore" raiders.

Deleted
    Anyone saying "play what you want" or "don't be forced to play X because it has Y" probably haven't raided at even semi-hardcore, so I doubt it makes sense to these people. However when guilds are going for good ranks, top 20 in the world... It's just something you PRESUME someone would do.

Like, T14, why would anyone play a Dwarf Warrior as Fury in the top 20 guilds in the world? It's a presumption that you'll choose the best race just as much as you won't choose herbalism as a talent for a Warrior because you're among the 'elite' and therefore you don't make stupid decisions.

Plus there's always tmorph

Deleted
    Forced race changes is not elitism, its min-maxing. Big difference. Min-maxing is trying to be the best you can be, elitist is thinking you are better than you are.

The point is that you pretty much expect this kinda of behavour in some guilds. If you join a guild that raids 6 days a week, you should expect that there will be some requirements for this. Race chance is most likely very low on the list for most or not on the list at all. But for some guilds a 0.06% can make the difference.

Well the class requires people to play it as well, but you can't deny that warlocks are a very desired DPS class right now. Top DPS, unique utility, etc.
    They are an excellent and very powerful class at the moment unfortunately once you reach the higher tier of content it somewhat balances out a bit, though warlocks tend to still see the top 5 on every fight I wouldn't go so far as to say every warlock is insta-accept Of course if you find a good affliction warlock snatch him up cause Affliction is broken as fuck.

unfortunately once you reach the higher tier of content it somewhat balances out a bit
    Still waiting for this point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    The abuse would be expecting a top-end guild to tolerate your trivial preferences.
    If top end guilds want to treat game like a job, they can but it is stupid. I play my games to relax and since i am paying for it, no offense but i will be choosing what is right way to play a game and not some jerks,

My few cents here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangz View Post
    Forced race changes is not elitism, its min-maxing. Big difference. Min-maxing is trying to be the best you can be, elitist is thinking you are better than you are.
    Elitist is thinking everyone that can't/doesn't do the stuff you do are horrible, not necessarily thinking you are better than you are.

Deleted
    Elitist is thinking everyone that can't/doesn't do the stuff you do are horrible, not necessarily thinking you are better than you are.
    Yeah, this is also correct, still doesnt make min-maxing and elitism the same thing though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Male Blood Elf Retribution Paladin? Decline!
    Male Draenei Hunter? Decline!
    A Warlock of any Race/Profession combo? Insta-Accept!
    What makes blood elf paladins worse then warlocks ?

It all depends on skill of the player and the gear he have.

Since Blood elf paladins is good with the lore, which i am into, i started to be into wacraft lore ever since warcraft 3 came out

It's probably a bit broader than that, generally it's just the belief that certain people deserve higher or better treatment based on superfluous factors to the treatment such as intellect or wealth.

It's easy to see why it's a faulty line of reasoning, just because you're smarter than someone doesn't mean you deserve to be treated better than them, for example.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh