Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it okay for Blizz to change the language of a realm without offering transfers?

Because this is what is happening to the Horde on Burning Blade EU. BB is being connected to Drak-Thul. BB Alliance and Drak-Thul Horde are well known Czech servers. (See guild descriptions at http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/eu/drak-thul). But the underpopulated sides are English speaking.

Blizz have paired these realms because they know they are Czech speaking. Its fine with me to have a Czech realm, but Blizz have completely ignored the English speaking factions in this connection. The English speaking BB Horde and DT Alliance are going to lose the ability to communicate with others on the server. The right thing to do would be to allow the English speaking players to free transfer.

Is it okay for Blizz to ignore us? The MVPs on the official forums certainly believe so. Paid transfers or stick to only talking in your guild.
    Last edited by Mammoth; 2014-03-06 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    If they are both Czech realms, then they are not changing the language of the realm, so yes it is perfectly fine.

Let me clarify. Burning Blade Horde and Drak Alliance are English speaking. The realms are listed as English speaking, and the fact the opposite faction is Czech has never affected us before, because there is no cross faction communication.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand your problem. Nothing's changing, other than you're receiving more Czech players, and possibly a few more English players too. It's not as if you're suddenly losing all your English-speaking friends to the Twisting Nether during the transfer. You'll simply be able to PuG H.Scenarios with random Czech players now.

so if there is no cross faction communication, why does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    so if there is no cross faction communication, why does it matter?
    It's like this : 5% english horde will be merged with 95% czech horde
    5% english alliance will be merged with 95% czech alliance

(Forget about the % - I dont know the correct % - I just clarified what I understood from the OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Bombadrol View Post
    alright, so those players there are going to be a minority in a server that was already dying to begin with.

Exactly. If my guild falls apart, or say we need to convert a 10man guild to 20, we're in trouble. Or even selling items on trade.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard isn't ignoring you.
    They're waiting for you to pay to transfer away from the server. I had to do the same once, they won't give free transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    alright, so those players there are going to be a minority in a server that was already dying to begin with.
    So they are not really fixing the problem for that minority... seems a bit unfair to me.

But to answer the OP; No I don't think it is ok, but if you think Blizzard will suddenly start to put ethics over money, you're going to have a bad time.

My honest advice, eventhough I don't like it, would be to transfer to a full server... my WoW experience has become so much better since I moved from a dead realm to a full one.
    Last edited by mbrmbr; 2014-03-06 at 10:13 PM.

Seems like all you english speaking people should gtfo Czech servers.

No I don't think it is ok, but if you think Blizzard will suddenly start to put ethics over money, you're going to have a bad time.
    FCMs don't cost Blizz anything, so they're going to be gambling that they're going to make more money from transfers than lost subs.

I don't know which side of the equation I'm on atm, but either way I'm going to lose some characters, which makes me sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Seems like all you english speaking people should gtfo Czech servers.
    I was happy letting the Czech having their half of the server. Its the masses being connected to the English half that hurts me.
    Source

How does blizzard allow only you english speaking people to transfer and not the czech speking people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    I swear, if vanilla was released right now with updated graphics, it would be the laughing stock of the decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This whole thread explains in a pretty nice manner how can Beliebers exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are they officially czech servers or just picked by czech player?

If it is the 1st then no it isn't ok. If it is the 2nd then it is really an English speaking server so it is fine.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    How does blizzard allow only you english speaking people to transfer and not the czech speking people?
    I imagine the Czech speaking people are where they want to be. That's why they grouped together.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Exactly. If my guild falls apart, or say we need to convert a 10man guild to 20, we're in trouble. Or even selling items on trade.
    You're not losing any players though, unless they DO transfer off, which is a separate issue entirely. You might even be gaining a few English-speaking players, if there're a few scattered amongst the overwhelmingly vast Czech majority.

Oh, and people still sell items in trade? A very, very minor downside - the AH exists for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    FCMs don't cost Blizz anything, so they're going to be gambling that they're going to make more money from transfers than lost subs.
    They are definitely not going to give FCM to full servers anyway, but maybe you can get lucky and get FCM to some other low pop server... don't know... either way I wish you good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Aven Ballantyne View Post
    If they are both Czech realms, then they are not changing the language of the realm, so yes it is perfectly fine.
    There are no Czech realms. We have English, German, French, Spanish and Russian realms on the EU client.

It's an "english realm" that happens to have a high population of czech speaking players on the opposite faction to the OP. Blizz has decided to merge another English realm that also actually speaks Czech but this time it's a high Czech population for his faction and so his own faction will now end up with a lot of Czech being spoken. The problem will get worse over time as it's where all the Czech speaking players will naturally migrate and then gradually English speakers start to leave the realm when they can't communicate... Vicious circle for the English speakers.

The problem is there for those who chose that realm because it was an English speaking realm in the 1st place and then gradually over time it has / will cease to be an English speaking realm... Blizz is making the problem worse for these people by merging it with another English realm which has ended up being a Czech speaking realm.

As this problem is a direct result of Blizzards decision they should offer free migrations of that realm to realms where English is the main language used. I don't expect they will though. They only seem to open free migration to get people off over populated realms.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-03-06 at 10:30 PM.

I doubt you'll get a free transfer off the server. If they do offer this they will wait a long time giving people a chance to pay the transfer costs before stepping in.

Blizzard aren't stupid, they want your money.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    As this problem is a direct result of Blizzards decision they should offer free migrations of that realm to realms where English is the main language used.
    This is my feeling exactly. This is not the action of players, but Blizz, and Blizz know these are Czech speaking realms.

I have too many characters to transfer.

I'm currently talking to an English player on the Czech DT Horde, who is telling me "it is big issues, CZ/SK people don't accept any other language "
    Source