Gemming At higher ilvls FDK

Just curious what other FDKS (DW) are gemming at higher ilvls? Im currently 570, and wonder if people notice much difference in gemming straight mastery over mas+ str say or Bold Str in Prismatics, and if breaking some gem bonuses for more mastery is viable?

Should I even bother with 320 mastery gems and just stick to the other 2?

What are your opinions and/or do yourself?

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on stat weeights. Read guide in signature and follow. Find out how to do it and do it!

You should definitely be gemming straight mastery at that ilvl as DW.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first thing you should always try to do, instead of asking what everyone else does, is use Simcraft to get your own stat weights. That will help you figure out whether you should be gemming mastery. At 570, I would say almost without question you should, but it's really good to get into the habit of figuring things out for yourself using the wealth of information that's out there. Learning to do that will help you in more situations than just this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamperouqe View Post
    You should definitely be gemming straight mastery at that ilvl as DW.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but after running sims for my toon (577 ilvl), it was not worth losing Strength socket bonuses.

I do not understand the new simulationcraft tool. It might be buggy...

profile http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Jayde/advanced

Frost two hand.

stat weight given by simulationcraft with 50 000 iteration:
    tool version 5.4.7-1 https://code.google.com/p/simulation...Downloads?tm=2

15.07 wdps
    7.27 hit
    6.87 exp
    6.05 str

4.84 Haste
    3.93 crit
    3.18 Mastery

The consensus was that for frost 2 hand, crit > haste > mastery

So why is it giving me haste so far ahead of crit????

EDIT:
    just found a version 5.4.7-2, re-running tests.
    Last edited by psyquest; 2014-03-09 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    The consensus was that for frost 2 hand, crit > haste > mastery

So why is it giving me haste so far ahead of crit????
    simcraft usually has really low ams soaking thus giving more weight to haste

Quote Originally Posted by Coal View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but after running sims for my toon (577 ilvl), it was not worth losing Strength socket bonuses.
    you usually always get socket bonuses

You may want to skip socket bonuses and go straight mastery if it's a stat you're capped at (exp) or just of lesser weight (those +60 haste/crit socket bonuses).

When talking about what stat to gem for in general you never take socket bonuses into account since those are situational and different on every item. Take my gear for example, I have a lot of 80 str 160 mastery gems just because the socket bonuses are worth going for and there are so few yellow sockets in SoO gear, but it doesn't make the 80 str 160 mastery gem better than the 320 mastery one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamperouqe View Post
    When talking about what stat to gem for in general you never take socket bonuses into account since those are situational and different on every item. Take my gear for example, I have a lot of 80 str 160 mastery gems just because the socket bonuses are worth going for and there are so few yellow sockets in SoO gear, but it doesn't make the 80 str 160 mastery gem better than the 320 mastery one.
    From the context of the OP's question, I assumed he was asking specifically about breaking socket bonuses.

From the context of the OP's question, I assumed he was asking specifically about breaking socket bonuses.
    Well his first question is about which gem to go for in prismatics, but yeah to answer the second question socket bonuses are not worth breaking unless the bonus is only 60 crit/haste or 60 hit/exp and it would put you over the cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got similar results at 575