Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Warcraft Logs gets exploited as well.

Rank 1 DPS H Nazgrim. Spriest, 1.6m DPS. 75% damage to healing tide totem, 14% to Warshaman, 7% to Nazgrim.
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...pe=damage-done

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Warcraft Logs gets exploited as well.

Rank 1 DPS H Nazgrim. Spriest, 1.6m DPS. 75% damage to healing tide totem, 14% to Warshaman, 7% to Nazgrim.
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...pe=damage-done
    That's just people pulling that shaman trash pack into nazgrims room and AoE'ing it for parses, not an exploit of the log. Happens all the time, use boss DPS or select relevant targets for Nazgrim.

Of course they cheese the system and exploit it's nature for rankings, that is why rankings are meaningless and should never be taken seriously by ANYONE.

If everyone just played by the rules, would be all fine and dandy, but the reality is you have to cheese it to get the best rankings. Some of my team's DPS rank routinely on all fights and they are constantly begging the raid leader to change our strategies and do stupid shit just so they can get better rankings. A good example is only having the one person who wants to rank DPS all the adds on Galakras and no one else being allowed to dps them at all, because if everyone does what they're supposed to, the adds die in seconds and we spend 80% of the fight sitting around doing nothing waiting for new adds to spawn.

The whole system is a complete joke and honestly I want to puke everytime people mention ranks or treat them like they are meaningful in any way.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    You missed the reason most people use logs. Self improvement.

Post less, think more!
    Not really anymore.
    Last edited by mmocf94708a214; 2014-03-12 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    World of Logs has nothing to do with WoW, why do you care about it so much? You can see how much DPS you do with a simple addon, do you need the self-satisfaction of knowing you did better than someone else you've never met?

This comment just blew my mind...what? If you honestly believe you can do the same thing with WoL as you can with recount or skada you may be the most oblivious person on WoW...

Logging as an analysis/help tool: Fantastic, usually much to be gleaned from a single night's worth of raid logs
    Logging for top rankings: Not worth taking seriously, promotes non-team play in a team game and is just e-peen
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2014-03-12 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    Not really anymore.
    Huh? For every 1 person fapping off over a ranking log theres 20 checking their buff uptimes to see if they are heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    If everyone just played by the rules
    What rules ?
    Anyways rankings are fine you have to know how to make use of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    promotes non-team play in a team game and is just e-peen
    Please most rankings these days probably take more team effort than actually just farming the boss for the 9283479283749823th time.

Just for the record:

Padding bosses didn't start in SoO lads.

Huh? For every 1 person fapping off over a ranking log theres 20 checking their buff uptimes to see if they are heading in the right direction.
    Citation needed.

OT: Logs are a good way to keep competing throughout the boring farm phase. I know I wouldn't be going in tonight to kill H Garrosh for the 23rd time if I didn't have a chance to compete for rankings.

Another problem I have with WoL, and I have no idea if it's our person recording the logs that is messing up or WoL but some of our fights randomly count as normal kills when we are doing heroics..

Quote Originally Posted by ZerkkD View Post
    Another problem I have with WoL, and I have no idea if it's our person recording the logs that is messing up or WoL but some of our fights randomly count as normal kills when we are doing heroics..
    Bug with WoL that still hasn't been fixed. It happens with the last three bosses and sometimes Immerseus.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Just for the record:

Padding bosses didn't start in SoO lads.
    This right here, couldnt be more spot on. People (myself too) have padded where its possible to pad for years. Epeen Value > alllllll other things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesa View Post
    Citation needed.
    The fact that gazillions of raids upload logs when the majority of them will never, ever rank is a good indicator.

My raid and several of its sister raids in the raiding alliance we're part of have uploaded logs religiously since Burning Crusade. For the most part, we are not the kind of players who rank. We use them for troubleshooting and identifying areas where improvement needs to happen and they have been invaluable for that purpose. I have probably looked at the ranking pages less than ten times the entire life of using WoL, and it was probably only then because some bug made someone rank on accident. I don't even know if the sites we used before WoL even had ranking. I don't know if WarcraftLogs does. I don't know if AMR's new tool will either. And I don't care except to say if that's what they need to include to win people over, then they should implement it.

While the latter is anecdotal person experience, the former is not. Ranking is really only relevant to top players and those who want to spend the time figuring out ways to exploit the system to inflate numbers. The vast majority of raids are neither.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Ranking is really only relevant to top players and those who want to spend the time figuring out ways to exploit the system to inflate numbers.
    Haha! My new favourite mod!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Haha! My new favourite mod!
    I'm not sure why that's funny! I don't think it's crazy to say that the majority of guilds, of approximately average skill and average progression, find ranking to be completely irrelevant to why they upload parses. Even if they stood a shot by doing something crazy like pulling a ton of trash into a boss' room to AoE it down for padding, the raid is probably uninterested in fucking around with that just so some dude can flex his interweb muscles.

Am I missing something? :P

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I'm not sure why that's funny! I don't think it's crazy to say that the majority of guilds, of approximately average skill and average progression, find ranking to be completely irrelevant to why they upload parses. Even if they stood a shot by doing something crazy like pulling a ton of trash into a boss' room to AoE it down for padding, the raid is probably uninterested in fucking around with that just so some dude can flex his interweb muscles.

Am I missing something? :P
    Nope, just made me chuckle when you said that, thinking back to the times my guild would say things like "EVERYONE ROLL, okay you won, only you're aloud to AoE on this fight", "get the anguish into melee so we can cleave off it", "everyone except warlocks and mages stop dps", etc.