Thread: Hate atonment

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hate atonment

I hope in the new expansion they nerf atonment.

I like the idea of the spell and i dont want it to go, i would way rather it heal for 50%+ less then what it does.
    Make penance just a heal again..

Most people probably fight me on this because smiting the boss a large portion of the time makes the game fun for them, but this new atonment is boring to me.
    I also hate spirit shell... They dont want us to spam bubbles so they give spirit shell that we can spam.. almost the same thing sept with spirit shell i get to be more lazy.

What i miss is a bit more of a challenge,
    Atonment only to 5 to have your archangel ready for when you needed it.
    knowing damage is coming out so you pre bubble to mitigate some of the damage,
    prayer of healing was one of your biggest heals.
    Greater heal was better to cast on a tank then any atonment spell...

I dont know, could be an old priest just miss the days it was fun for him to heal on his char..
    But now disc is easy i find. made me lose interest in the game.

Though healing in this game at the moment is boring... shamans 3 top heals usually are healing rain healing tide and healing stream... saw one do 80% of his healing as those three.. just dont see how thats fun.

I hope they destroy smart heals...

Deleted
    I liked how it was back in cata (pre-DS at least) when it was really a choice and replaced Heal in your triage.

That said, I think they have sort of let the cat out of the bag already.

As a fulltime shadow priest I utterly dislike healing in any of the healing specs, it is simply depressingly boring to me.. atonement is the closest thing to a bearable healing mechanic in the game, and while I agree it should NEVER be as viable or as high hps as a disc priest utilizing the full arsenal of his healing/defense spells, Atonement dps is a fantastic alternative for mainspec dps players who are occasionally forced into the healing role (by RL demand for example).

Deleted
    I agree atonement needs to be redesigned/changed. But playing a disc priest is easy, really understand and performing 100% takes alot more out of it. I think healing gets fun when you really push yourself in diffrent ways and try diffrent things. If u just follow some main priority system, you will get bored really fast (at least i did). It is also diffrent if you play lfr/flex/normal or heroics 10 or 25. If u want more challenge, try holy priest.
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2014-03-07 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbout View Post
    I agree atonement needs to be redesigned/changed. But playing a disc priest is easy, really understand and performing 100% takes alot more out of it. I think healing gets fun when you really push yourself in diffrent ways and try diffrent things. If u just follow some main priority system, you will get bored really fast (at least i did). It is also diffrent if you play lfr/flex/normal or heroics 10 or 25. If u want more challenge, try holy priest.
    Honestly, most bad Disc priests I see are the ones who are not DPS'ing enough. They use their healing spells too much, like casting Renew/Greater Heal/Prayer of Healing and preemptively shield/SS people with no damage incoming. They don't understand that what you usually just use on CD are your lvl 90 talent, Inner Focus and Prayer of Mending and PW:S to get Rapture procs. Playing a Disc Priest close to optimally, at least to 90% of max performance, is mostly about neglecting your healing spells and let your Atonement carry your healing outside of when you need to click the "oh shit big damage is incoming" buttons and spam the raid with absorbs (which even that you neglect many times because you have big DA absorbs on the entire raid).

Deleted
    I don't think Atonement needs to be redesigned. I think it is considerably more fun and more engaging than other forms of healing that I've tried over the period of time from TBC to now. The numbers could do with being balanced a little more and perhaps "Atonement" should be listed as the spells that are actually contributing to healing, so that people don't vomit out nonsense about equivalence with Healing Rain and Efflorescence (which do need to be redesigned and fixed). The same could be done with DA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Honestly, most bad Disc priests I see are the ones who are not DPS'ing enough. They use their healing spells too much, like casting Renew/Greater Heal/Prayer of Healing and preemptively shield/SS people with no damage incoming. They don't understand that what you usually just use on CD are your lvl 90 talent, Inner Focus and Prayer of Mending and PW:S to get Rapture procs. Playing a Disc Priest close to optimally, at least to 90% of max performance, is mostly about neglecting your healing spells and let your Atonement carry your healing outside of when you need to click the "oh shit big damage is incoming" buttons and spam the raid with absorbs (which even that you neglect many times because you have big DA absorbs on the entire raid).
    You just described what is wrong with disc pretty nicely right there. Ignoring healing spells and using dps spells instead because you do more healing that way shouldn't even happen in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    You just described what is wrong with disc pretty nicely right there. Ignoring healing spells and using dps spells instead because you do more healing that way shouldn't even happen in the first place.
    Unless that is how the healer is designed. Like Discipline. There is nothing inherently wrong with healing to DPS and in my opinion it adds to the game. What shouldn't happen is for this to be the only really viable way for a class to heal as is currently the case due to the position of Holy. Hopefully that will be fixed come WoD so that people who want to execute a simple DPS rotation to heal and people that would rather play Whack-A-Mole on health bars can live happily together.

The biggest problem is obviously that Disc provides both great HPS and DPS, making the spec as a whole superior to all other healer specs (as long as the healing doesn't start falling behind too much). They need to lower either the healing or damage or just both if this spec design is going to stay. Blizzard have tried this expansion, but just like for Warlocks their bandaid fixes don't help when the gear scaling is insane. (Now that the devs can't see this is beyond me since it should be easy to balance gear scaling instead of just modify a few spells here and there, but that's a different topic.)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbacca View Post

I hope they destroy smart heals...
    They are, they have said that they are a few times. Blue posts months ago, hell before Blizzcon said that Disc needed a grand change, but not until the xpac is over. Unless there is a very serious issue blizz won't redesign a class between xpacs. Huge amount of time to balance and if you do it for one then every other class wants their's updated as well.

Have no fear:

can you shed any light on the intention for atonement healing? Intended only as filler or can it still be my main healing?
    atonement will not be as much healing throughput as normal healing. Does significant damage when you don't need as much healing.
    https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...14030601809920
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, the downscaling will fix any boring aspect of healing. Lets just hope you haven't gotten used to overhealing because you'll rarely get to do that next expansion. People will stay between 40-70% health and that'll be typical... very rarely will someone be fully capped off, aside from the tanks that is.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Don't worry, the downscaling will fix any boring aspect of healing. Lets just hope you haven't gotten used to overhealing because you'll rarely get to do that next expansion. People will stay between 40-70% health and that'll be typical... very rarely will someone be fully capped off, aside from the tanks that is.
    Lies, all lies. The ONLY way they can prevent healers from keeping people at 100% is to make us oom and they already said they don't want to do that. This new way of healing may last through one patch, maybe two, but just like in Cata we will be spamming heals on people and if damage isn't significant enough people will be back at 100%. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid on this one, I need to see it last a whole xpac to believe it.
    Last edited by Darkener; 2014-03-08 at 03:48 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    Lies, all lies. The ONLY way they can prevent healers from keeping people at 100% is to make us oom and they already said they don't want to do that. This new way of healing may last through one patch, maybe two, but just like in Cata we will be spamming heals on people and if damage isn't significant enough people will be back at 100%. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid on this one, I need to see it last a whole xpac to believe it.
    Yeah, there's actually no way to keep hp bars not full.
    Either people will be topped off or they won't be able to keep up and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    Yeah, there's actually no way to keep hp bars not full.
    Either people will be topped off or they won't be able to keep up and die.
    It's difficult to speculate this since this is entirely based on boss damage patterns, which they said they are changing.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    It's difficult to speculate this since this is entirely based on boss damage patterns, which they said they are changing.
    The only fight where keeping peoples hp not full is possible without dying is Anub due to a mechanic that makes you WANT to keep them low.
    If you can't keep up with the damage then people will die, if you can keep up then they'll be full or marginally worse/better healers will totally change how a fight plays out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    The only fight where keeping peoples hp not full is possible without dying is Anub due to a mechanic that makes you WANT to keep them low.
    If you can't keep up with the damage then people will die, if you can keep up then they'll be full or marginally worse/better healers will totally change how a fight plays out.
    Don't forgot Chimaeron!

But it entirely depends on damage patterns as Mazi said. They mentioned that they are going to try and use our regen as our throttle for the later tiers, giving us more access to regen via gear and trinkets and stuff I'm assuming in the earlier tiers and less options for this in the later tiers to compensate for our higher throughput. However, it's hard to say what they've got planned right now for patches far in the future regarding encounters and such, especially since they'll probably learn a lot from the first WoD tier. From the sounds of it they want us to be able to be more liberal with our mana in the earlier tiers and slowly lose our regen as we gain stronger heals, kind of keeping us baseline throughout the expansion. Whether this works or not, only time will tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbacca View Post
    I hope in the new expansion they nerf atonment.
    I like the current atonement because it differs so greatly from other healers.

Deleted
    I have never once liked the Attonement model. Especially not since it became so strong it was almost the most efficient way of healing.

Keep it in for it's iconic value to the Disc spec, but reduce it's effectiveness by a signifigant amount.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Keep it in for it's iconic value to the Disc spec, but reduce it's effectiveness by a signifigant amount.
    That looks to be what is happening. Lower throughput, significant DPS. By significant I am hoping that it is at least 50% of a DPS spec, especially since we won't be able to heal efficiently with it any more. 60 to 75% would be more ideal.