Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Holy Nova (new Discipline-only version)

Just when I thought Blizzards favoritism of Disc couldn't get any worse. I Imagine this will be yet another utility that disc gets over Holy. Already it is not looking good for Holy to make a comeback in PVE. Only time will tell but I personally feel Holy Nova is a Holy spell.
    Last edited by Nightstorm; 2014-03-07 at 06:23 PM.

Deleted
    Did you not read any of the other changes in that blog? The plethora of alterations which are designed with nixing the efficacy of discipline in mind? Things such as dumb smart heals and absorbs being toned down? Perhaps that is why discipline is being given a new AoE heal.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they called it discipline explosion would you feel better? I fail to see how you can get mad at a spell for favoritism when you literally know nothing about it except its name and what spec will use it.

Disc needs all the AOE help it can get.

Disc needs no help in getting a raid spot. I haven't seen the changes yet but Holy priest in MoP consistently throughout the xpac sat at 0.6% representation of guilds that had downed at least 6 heroic bosses. I fought tooth and nail to get a raid spot in any guild 11/14 heroic after my guild broke up. No one wanted a Holy priest in pve in MoP. So when I see new stuff that disc gets, yes, it hurts to think WoD might be MoP 2.0.

Deleted
    If things are that problematic as Holy, perhaps you should switch to Discipline? Priests actually have the luxury to do that. This isn't SWP and while Holy representation is low, things aren't so dire that you would need to level up a completely different character, as happened in the past. You are a priest, you are not exclusively a holy priest.

Now, we know that discipline needs no help in getting a raid spot currently. However, discipline isn't being given (a hopefully useful) Holy Nova just now. It is being given it in the climate of WoD which we have now been told seeks to cut down on the power of smart heals (there goes Atonement), deeply diminishes the power of absorbs (there goes Spirit Shell and Power Word: Shield) and seeks to sort out the power inflation that allowed Discipline to become strong (there goes Divine Aegis).

So perhaps, just when Blizzard started to take a stock of the impact of the above changes in addition to a push towards triage healing and an inflated health pool they realised that Discipline might actually just need an AoE heal (which they have done for a while now). Might as well scrape out the mechanically bust AoE heal from previous expansions then and hope that it can be worked into something usable this time!

If anything the changes which have been penned so far suggest that things will be closer to Cataclysm 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    Just when I thought Blizzards favoritism of Disc couldn't get any worse. I Imagine this will be yet another utility that disc gets over Holy. Already it is not looking good for Holy to make a comeback in PVE. Only time will tell but I personally feel Holy Nova is a Holy spell.
    Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions here? We don't even have a Beta yet. With reduction in efficiency of atonement, it's likely they felt that Disc needed something else. Remember that they're also reducing absorbs, which will have a big impact on Disc's raid utility.

TLDR: Wait for the Beta to start "the sky is falling for holy".
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

I'm a bit worried about Holy Nova Mk 25 to be honest.

Why did CoH need a 6 second cooldown, while the new Holy Nova won't?
    Why is it that the new Holy Nova can heal for "a decent amount", while the old HN absolutely cannot under any circumstance be allowed to nudge HP bars?

And what has changed here since early MoP when they tried just this, and eended up scrapping it?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Because in beta MoP they removed PoH from disc (when it still was 100% aegis application) and were planning to make holy nova disc only but everyone cried so hard about the lack of PoH so they had to revert that instantly, maybe 2nd time is the charm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just wait, it will not be instant!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

i am pretty sure before GC left blizzard he said disc was the worse healing spec when it came to priests.
    so far the changes look to be making it worse.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    Disc needs no help in getting a raid spot.
    With the new expansion that can change in a heartbeat. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    In Cata I used to keybind Holy Nova "just in case". I was happy when I removed the keybind, since it was hardly useful.

Now, for WoD, they announced that some spells would be removed so to make more room in action bars and in keybinds. I thought "Good. I feel as I have a bit too many keybinds now on my disc priest."

Then they said "too many instant spells, we are removing some of these too". I could understand the issue.

I would have never imagined that they would have added a useless and instant cast spell Holy Nova back... It looks exactly as the kind spell they should start removing!

Let's see however how long Holy Nova remains during beta. Last time they tried it, they found it quite hard to balance. If it remains a cheap, no CD, point blank instant AoE... I can't see how to make it useful but not OP

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Why did CoH need a 6 second cooldown, while the new Holy Nova won't?
    That at least is simple enough - CoH needs a cooldown because it's a long range smart heal. Holy Nova doesn't because it's neither smart nor long range. HN was quite useful back in Wrath, but it's hardly like it would ever replace CoH on a holy priests bars back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike View Post
    That at least is simple enough - CoH needs a cooldown because it's a long range smart heal. Holy Nova doesn't because it's neither smart nor long range. HN was quite useful back in Wrath, but it's hardly like it would ever replace CoH on a holy priests bars back then.
    HN will be smart. Not long range though.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

I kinda feel like HN will act similar to Holy Radiance as opposed to CoH.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to speculate about Holy Nova for disc atm, Celestalon tweeted that they want atonement to be less than actual heals (sorry I don't have the link atm) but provide decent damage when you use it. Perhaps they want it to be more akin to a monk's eminence output, if this is the case then disc could potentially use an AoE heal since atonement won't be able to necessarily fill that gap anymore. So say in a 5 man, if everyone needs a bit of healing but not enough to justify PoH due to it's mana cost, you can HN to hit them all rather than single target. With it hitting 6 targets it sounds like it's meant to be analogous to CoH and in exchange for the CD we have to deal with the positional requirement of it. Which seems not exactly a fair trade off for Holy but, they say they're still iterating on giving it a cast time as well, so we'll have to wait for more.

My guess is that the reason they did this is because at least chakra effects the damage of mind sear. So Holy nova probably replaces sear for disc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmorgrim View Post
    My guess is that the reason they did this is because at least chakra effects the damage of mind sear. So Holy nova probably replaces sear for disc.
    Nah not at all, they specified it was for healing and that the damage it did was going to be basically trivial.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fainth View Post
    Disc needs all the AOE help it can get.

Disc
    -----
    Prayer of Healing
    Spirit Shell Prayer of Healing
    Prayer of Mending
    Offensive Penance (3 Medium Smart Heals 40 yards)
    Lvl 90
    New Disc Stronger Holy Nova (Moves with raid, aka Spinning Crane Kick)

Holy
    -----
    Prayer of Healing
    Prayer of Mending
    Circle of Healing (5-6 Smaller Smart Heals 20 yards)
    Lvl 90
    Holy Word: Sanctuary (Weakest AE heal stuck in 1 spot for 1 min, considered pointless to cast outside T16)

You really think Disc has weak AoE? Holy actually has less now, which is probably why they had to make the talent that turns Greater Heal into an AoE, but now Holy Priests have to lose a talent for competitive AoE or go Disc.