Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    You remind me that guy from today's LFR, "Does the horde come here to kill Garrosh too? doesn't make sense".

I hate pandas and i pretend they're other races when i walk by, but MoP is not an expansion for kids. It is if your kid standards are a tyrant enslaving a nation through lightning and a red orc ripping a heart with a haunted axe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Yeah, so ogres should be the next race. Come on...fucking Ogres!

Also, after playing to level 87 in Mists of Pansies, I am not liking the tone. Too cutesy, its harshing my mellow. I feel as a warrior that I should be a bad mofo in a bad place, not running through a field and shooting rainbows out me arse. Does the vibe get any darker at all? Man. Does this get any better later on? I feel this expansion has been designed and taken over by a 12 year old girl.

I have just started playing MOP after un-subbing just before MOP came out, after 8 years straight of raiding. I quit because I thought MOp would suck and so far, well its not looking good for me. I have not got to end game yet so maybe that will be the saving grace. I really hope the tone darkens though, I can feel myself switching teams and getting all feminine and shit, thats right...I am afraid I might turn Alliance.

You know, part of it is I have never liked Monkeys, I just don't trust them and MOP has too many damn monkeys. Those little bastards spread diseases, throw feces and are known lying bastards. Never liked them or trusted them at all.

So in short:

I want to be an ogre and this game needs a little ( alot) more darkness.

Edit** and I hate monkeys
    Wait until you get to Townlong and especially Dread Wastes. The latter is one of my favourite zones ever, the raid there being one of my favourite raids ever. The mantid are flat out evil, they are predators, they are alien - and you help them. Let's put this into perspective: the mantid historically raid Pandaren settlements to EAT THEM.

So yes, it gets significantly darker. Jade Forest and Valley of Four Winds are mostly setup to show you the harmonious lifestyle and relative peace and quiet the Pandaren enjoy, the later zones show you what threatens all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    MoP has always been dark but your selective perception may not make you understand.
    When people see entire zones dedicated to farming, it's a bit more than selective perception.

As far as straight personal darkness MoP is probably the darkest one around. This is really well told through many of the scenarios like Dagger in the Dark.

Also you can really strongly see the influence of the Diablo art and story direction having influenced MoP a lot. There are many scenes of the grotesque but done in ways that are subtle. From impaled bugs/servants in the Heart of Fear to the piles of dead pandaren being used as necromantic fuel by the mogu to the entire storyline of the Shadopan officer that loses her husband.

What it comes down to is that if you think MoP is childish and weak, you're just not good at subtlety or empathy.

Which is fine, many people aren't, but it's a shame that you've missed out on probably the most complete and on-message storytelling Blizz has done in an expansion.

There are no questions about why we're doing what we're doing, as there was with Gruul or the way Kael'Thas was kinda sorta evil but why, what? No Black Dragon weirdness (well other than the legendary questline) and the expansion just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Whales96 View Post
    When people see entire zones dedicated to farming, it's a bit more than selective perception.
    It's not though, because MoP is objectively one of the darkest plotlines the game has ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    It's not though, because MoP is objectively one of the darkest plotlines the game has ever had.
    I think you could say the same about wotlk, or Cataclysm with the end of the world looming

Ok, Ill keep an open mind about how the atmosphere is in MOP but I still want an play as an Ogre Tank

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate pandas.
    Whenever something terrible happened to them my day got a little brighter. To me, the story wasn't very dark at all, mainly because of a lack of empathy for these bouncy fat people. I know lots of bad things happened to people during this expansion but most if it was inflicted on pandas so I could honestly care less. I've been hoping for Taran Zhu's death for a while now, he always gets hurt but never dies.

I don't really care that they were slaves, a lot of times I was rooting for the mogu to make a big comeback. I don't really care that tons of them got slaughtered, a dead panda is a good panda as far as i'm concerned. I didn't care that the one panda lost her husband, shado pan felt useless and incompetent and i'm kind of glad that they had to pay for it. I wanted to side with the Mantid and eradicate the pandas.

The darkest part of the MoP story To Me was the tauren that lost his wife and one of the twins. I'm not 100% sure how that story actually went but I remember someone died and I actually paused in my rush to 90 to think about it for a while.

Maybe it's because I grew up with far more dark/violent games and and whatever Blizzard comes up with just doesn't cut it.
    With WoD I am hoping everything about Pandaria fades away and gets forgotten, never to be touched on by Blizzard again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenway View Post
    I hate pandas.
    Whenever something terrible happened to them my day got a little brighter. To me, the story wasn't very dark at all, mainly because of a lack of empathy for these bouncy fat people. I know lots of bad things happened to people during this expansion but most if it was inflicted on pandas so I could honestly care less. I've been hoping for Taran Zhu's death for a while now, he always gets hurt but never dies.

I don't really care that they were slaves, a lot of times I was rooting for the mogu to make a big comeback. I don't really care that tons of them got slaughtered, a dead panda is a good panda as far as i'm concerned. I didn't care that the one panda lost her husband, shado pan felt useless and incompetent and i'm kind of glad that they had to pay for it. I wanted to side with the Mantid and eradicate the pandas.

The darkest part of the MoP story To Me was the tauren that lost his wife and one of the twins. I'm not 100% sure how that story actually went but I remember someone died and I actually paused in my rush to 90 to think about it for a while.

Maybe it's because I grew up with far more dark/violent games and and whatever Blizzard comes up with just doesn't cut it.
    With WoD I am hoping everything about Pandaria fades away and gets forgotten, never to be touched on by Blizzard again.
    The Mogu story is actually pretty damned heartbreaking.

They are essentially lost children of the titans, created specifically to impose order upon a chaotic world and when the titans left they were lost in a terrible darkness and the only thing they thought they could do is continue their mission and did so in as dark, greedy and infamous manner as possible.

Really they are supposed to parallel Garrosh, where they can only think that their own way is the absolute best way and end up destroyed by their own hubris.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well other than the fact that Garrosh desecrates the Vale which kills all of it's defenders, and then their tormented souls fight you, I'd say it stays pretty light. There are plenty of places all over Pandaria that are filled with sorrow and horrors. Villages destroyed. A Yaungol village in Townlong goes crazy and they all burn their food and murder each other, you get there and it's a smoking wreck with vultures and hyenas eating the dead. There's the purge of Dalaran where the Kirin Tor expressly order the execution of simple merchants due to their race. You don't see it in game, but if you watch the SoO trailer, it's clear that anyone who wasn't an Orc in Orgrimmar when Garrosh returns with the Heart of Y'shaarj was stuck on pikes on the walls of Orgrimmar, including civilians and merchants. They capture and torture Ji Firepaw, who has to be carried away by a horrified Aysa. They tie Gamon to a tree and are beating him when you arrive. There are civilians from Theramore kept in cages, and they use the threat of torturing or murdering their children to keep them controlled. There's plenty of darkness there. The intro to MoP is intentionally light. It starts as a time of relative peace, and a new place to explore, which doesn't necessarily need to evoke a lot of grimdark. As the story progresses our interference causes more horrors, and everywhere we go in Pandaria there is ruin.

Not every single place in every single expansion has to be grimdark. Blizzard has always been known for it's lightheartedness. They've always included funny or light themes to contrast the dark themes. And some of us don't particularly appreciate the Forsaken and their constant hatred, some of us play Jedi, some of us prefer to bring light to dark places, instead of becoming dark in dark places.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    They could've had a lore reason that they chose a side, if Blizzard wanted it that way. Maybe they didn't care for Garrosh's way. Some action he took could've effected them in a negative way and they said the hell with that guy, let's make things right. Pick a reason.
    Blizzard could've made it work out with different lore choices. It wouldn't have been "Cramming" them into the expansion.

It's my opinion that Pandaren don't fit the Horde at all. I know others disagree. I think a neutral race was a bad idea.

I am SOOOO sick of reading this from people. It's as if they've never ever seen the smaller Ogres in the game.
    Even the smallest Ogre remains bigger and taller than any other race in the game. Taurens and Draeneis are borderline already.

If everythign is dark all the time, it doesnt really induce a strong response in us.
    Thats why Frodo starts out in the shire and ends up in mordor and we have fun in jade forrest and 4winds and then slowly descent into chaos and darker themes.
    Same thing with action and stakes. Having to save the world ALL the time gets boring pretty fast.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Even the smallest Ogre remains bigger and taller than any other race in the game. Taurens and Draeneis are borderline already.
    Ogre racial: hands and knees; you can get down on all fours reducing speed by 10% but allowing you to get through small spaces. Close scrutiny of the ground near fallen enemies occasionally reveals pickpocket loot or food.

problem solved.