Poll: What is your opinion on Cata healing (early)

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Cataclysm healing (early)

I've seen plenty of posts on the front page about cataclysm healing being bad at start, how do you guys remember it?

before cata was released I was a little sad about healing, I loved casting all those fast heals and dont have to worry about mana as it was in wotlk.
    However when the expansion was released I had a blast doing heroics and loved the healing, but with more gear I was just able to spam aoe heals over and over, and in the end that was all I did.

so tell me what you guys think, was it really that bad? I dont get at all why people think this way
    Last edited by mannenabo; 2014-03-08 at 06:42 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember cataclysm as "Crap, I just hit lvl 83. Better start reforging all of my gear for spirit because if I don't I'll be oom every other pull." It stayed like that pretty much until the second raiding tier. It wasn't fun until I was able to gem my meta with int + crit instead of spirit.
    Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

--Auron, Final Fantasy X

Deleted
    It was fine, played 3/4 of the healing classes from the start into the troll hc's and had no problem doing pugs of them all from the start + some normal raiding.

That first month? It was fine if you were in a competent premade. Holy paladins were broken though and didn't have mana issues to the extent that all of the other healers did. They were the preferred healer in pug groups, and ughhhhhh pugging was horrible. People standing in shit...not knowing how to use their cc...three hour Grim Batol runs...etc.

Only spec I'd say was borderline unusable was holy priest, but disc was passable.

Everyone got hotfixed a few weeks in, some classes multiple times so it worked out in the end.

I healed as a paladin, so I remember it probably way different than other healers. I rarely ran out of mana, but I wasn't able to spam my strongest heals throughout leveling / end-game dungeons. I had more issues in the troll dungeons than the release heroics honestly, but that was only stressed by people not being geared.

Deleted
    It was fun as shaman but like mentioned earlier people lackiing skill to CC or move from harm made it harder

I hated it so much and never want to go back to that particular way of doing things. I remember queing up and getting my first random heroic in casterclysm and it was deadmines. I remember that I could cast about 15 divine lights before I was completely and utterly oom and everyone was going to die. But what else could you do when holylight hit like a wet noodle and wasn't enough to keep a tank alive through a critter attack? After firelands mana didn't matter anymore and that was more fun than early cata.

I'd be willing to meet somewhere in the middle when it comes to wrath and cata styles.
    If you ever wonder how dumb people really are then consider this: even in the golden age of smart heals dumb people still find ways to die.

I'd been off of healing for awhile and quite a bit had changed between when I left and when I came back, so I found myself relearning how to heal with the added burden of tighter resource management and, having lost my guild, learning to heal with random people who seemed equally clueless about their class.

So, for me at least, too much changed at once. I'm sure it wasn't so bad for people who played through all the changes and got used to them one at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved it BUT I was playing with a dedicated and cooperating group of friends who were of equal competence.

I cannot even imagine what people stuck healing only random queues went through.

I started Cata on my shaman, so it was a bit painful because the class was undertuned at the time...I remember laughing my ass off when they flat-out buffed healing by 15% (through the purification passive) in 4.1. Iirc that's also when they added in spirit link totem. Anyways, it was fine and even fun for premade groups, but healing pugs was a nightmare. Triage healing just doesn't work well with pugs.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Do you know what I remember about Cata launch? I could't sustain my mana as a freaking Ele Shaman >.> grumblegrumbleworstspecforthewholetiergrumble
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Start of cata was awesome by itself, healing included.

Deleted
    It was hard but felt very rewarding.

I still have mental scars.

The 6 hour runs through blackrock caverns. The tanks getting oneshot on trashmobs. DPSers failling to avoid clearly marked oneshot mechanics 20 times in a row, yet I was the one being berated for not healing enough. The unheard yet desperate cries for manabreaks. The group where everyone cheesed ilvls in order to pass. The retardin who just queued prot to avoid the queues, but whom absolutely didn't want to tank and always relied on being grouped with someone else with an offtank spec. The runs where I had the most HP in the group and desperately wished I had a taunt ability to limit the damage. The mana troubles. Oh god the mana troubles. I came with a bag full of pots, water, flasks, foodbuffs and whatever I could muster.... yet it never was enough. The needing of a long shower and huge cup of tea after a successful run. The "I have to do this HOW many times per week to cap JP?" realization.

The "Sorry, your class is oom /kick holypriest".
    The "We believe healers are in a good spot right now" remarks when all the above was posted on the forums.

The death of heroics, since no sane healer whatsoever wanted to go heroic pug. The realization that JP is overrated since raid gear was far better and FAR FAR easier to obtain. The joining the "I'm never going to do a heroic ever again" crowd. The "Uh but wait. Now there isn't much to do in the game, is there?" realization. The inevitable "this week's raid is over, time to log off. see you next week".

The coming back a month later, and see people welcome you with "A healer! We have waited 3 hours! Please don't leave!" message.

I tell you, anyone who wants back to cata heroics is delusional at best.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I did not care for it, it made healing slower, more boring. Virtually every game mechanic was way more fun and challenging pre-cata. Casters would build HASTE not mastery, healing would be about reaction not "ground" healing, (I hate healing rain/sanctuary/god-mode totems.).

If you played with people who knew how to play, it was actually fun. If you played with idiots though, it was an absolute hell if you weren't raid geared.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    I did not care for it, it made healing slower, more boring. Virtually every game mechanic was way more fun and challenging pre-cata. Casters would build HASTE not mastery, healing would be about reaction not "ground" healing, (I hate healing rain/sanctuary/god-mode totems.).
    In cataclysm a lot of casters still stacked haste the fuck are u talking about.. Aoe's weren't enough to keep people alive they had to survive on there own rather then just get spam healed to full like in wotlk.

I remember shaman healers being out of mana after EVERY MOB PACK in the stonecore (during leveling)...

Overall there was way too much spamming involved, just like in WotLK, where in raids you just mashed the keyboard like mad.

I prefer the healing style where you cast a certain heal exactly when your ally needs that exact heal - not spamming healing of any kind and 90% overhealing just because mana does not matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I remember shaman healers being out of mana after EVERY MOB PACK in the stonecore (during leveling)...

Overall there was way too much spamming involved, just like in WotLK, where in raids you just mashed the keyboard like mad.

I prefer the healing style where you cast a certain heal exactly when your ally needs that exact heal - not spamming healing of any kind and 90% overhealing just because mana does not matter...
    The only time people spam healed was after they out geared the content or during the dragon soul patch were regen stopped mattering. Mana mattered for like 2 seasons in pvp which was new to me.

On my healing priest main it was godawful until the regen buffs a few weeks in. On my holy paladin alt it was absolutely fine as mana regen wasn't even an issue