Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkangarew View Post
    So I just ran a dungeon and go chewed out by very dead mage and warrior who pulled and I let die. When I said it’s my job to pull, the healers job to heal, and the dps’s job to kill what I pull. Right after I typed that they lost their minds and went on an epic 4 letter rant that I can’t post here.
    This reason I post this is to vent / rant as this lack of respect / etiquette is the main reason most of my friends stopped playing the game as is made it no fun for them.
    Got to love how good gear, the love of big pretty numbers and the occasional ahole seem to be ruining the game for so many.
    I think you were the ahole to let such pettiness get to that. Dungeons are so easy that it really doesn't matter who heals, tanks, blah blah blah. You killed everybody because of your unyielding belief of "how it should be" when it's "really how it is" that you should be focusing on.

So you are the disrespectful tool with no etiquette.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    There was NEVER any respect in dungeons. Just Arse-holes faking it so they would get invited back.
    That depends when you started playing and which server you were on. The realm I play on had a decent tight-knit community up until late TBC, it was common to meet a lot of decent, friendly and respectful players just by forming pickup groups (Which is what I spent 95% of my time doing before WotLK, being in a tiny guild which only consisted of myself and 4 other players).

Problems with player behaviour only really started just before WotLK when the population had a massive influx of extremely childish and immature players who pretty much overwhelmed the server with four-letter words, endless trade spam, griefing, ninja looting, etc.

In fact, now that the server has a fairly low population again, most PuGs I see for Flex or CMs tend to be respectful towards each other. But it's population is now less than half the size it was during Classic/TBC. Problems like that mostly happen either on Full/locked servers with a huge population, or through Random Matchmaking where players are hiding behind anonymity and general apathy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    The exact kind of person/mentality that causes threads like this.

"HURR DURR I CAN PULL AS DA DPS COZ STUFF ISN"T HARD, BUT U SHUD BE DA TANK AND TANK ANYWAYS HURR DURR HURF DURF *proceeds to eat own excrement*"
    Goddamn i laughed out loud! The excrement part was the icing on the cake.

OT: But yeah, when I usually queue as a dps, I check the healer just to see if he's got some "decent" gear, if so, i start blasting left and right with no remorse and without any comments. I normally say "hello" every time i queue for a random dungeon and that's about it. Most random dungs i've been into, the tanks switch to dps mode (ret palas, fury / arms warrs etc) and they start blasting away, hell, i've even seen a warlock pull everything and tank the dung. Regarding your case Op, dunno what say, ignore them, at least that's what i'm doing.
    | i9 10850K | RTX 3080 Ti Aorus | Z490 Aorus Ultra G2 | Corsair 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Corsair HX1000W Platinum | Cooler Master H500M

Well let's get to the root. Why do some dps insist on running ahead and pulling?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    Ret Paladins with Righteous Fury forgotten to be turned off
    Interestingly enough I experience the opposite a lot lately. Prot palas running around without fury active, and then complaining to the DPS why they pull aggro all the time. >.<

I'm sure it's already been said but I'm not reading through 8 pages to see...Run with friends/guildies and avoid all that. Is that how it's supposed to be? No, but you're dealing with people.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I usually just leave the dungeon if the people in the group are abusive, not going to put up with that in my free time. They can find someone else, I don't need to run the dungeon. But I will not put up with them talking down to me or being abusive, if they see me leaving as a victory then that is fine. We both win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did respect and etiquette in dungeons ever exist? The only etiquette I remember was passing items to the enchanters so they could De it. I don't remember there being respect.

Deleted
    I usually bypass all that drama by queueing as Tank while being in Ret spec with Righteous Fury active. And guess what? 95% of the people - healers included - really appreciate it because the run is a lot faster than with a prot-specced tank while I'm holding aggro way better too 'cause of all that Divine Storm AE-spam and still not taking any serious damage.
    Last edited by mmocfa3fe6ec47; 2014-03-09 at 05:08 PM.

I'll admit I felt horrible when I got kicked for the first time on my resto druid. I had a hard time keeping up the monk tank as he kept getting over 3000 stacks of stagger and kept pulling pack after pack. I tried to make him aware that his stagger was getting too high, but he laughed it off and said he owned at stagger; it was his bitch. He didn't care if I had trouble healing him.

Cue first boss. Tank didn't even wait, rushed in, pulled the boss and went out of line of sight. Tank died, I tried keeping the DPS up, got healing aggro, died and then the DPS followed quickly after. Since this boss is rather close to the entrance and the spawn point is even closer to the instance entrance, tank released, ran in and tried to take on the boss without a healer. DPS followed his example and I tried to do the same by releasing and trying to rush into the dungeon in the hopes I would reach the tank in time to keep him up. Eventually it was only one party member at a time on the boss because everyone was either dead, running to their corpse, resurrecting or running to the boss. Just imagine the Benny Hill song to this...

FINALLY, after a few minutes of that, people were all dead at the same time and nobody was able to keep the boss active anymore. Finally it was time to regroup and get ready... or so I thought. I laid down that people shouldn't attack the boss if most of the party isn't ready yet or else it would get as messy as it was before. The explosion of rage that came from the tank and the DPS was massive. Healer (me) got the blame for not healing.
    Tank wasn't accused of not putting up any defensives or getting rid of stagger and I got kicked. I was stunned by the silliness of it all.

I was bit distraught afterwards. I wondered if it really was my fault people kept dying over and over because I simply wasn't there to heal them. Was I too slow? Weren't my heals strong enough? I queued up again for the same instance, afraid the next group would die again, but that run... was fantastic. I managed to keep everyone up and we even three-manned the dungeon when two of the DPS had to go because of real life reasons. The tank we had was great and friendly to boot.

Now with that little vent rant aside... Randomly queuing for dungeons is as it is; random. you'll never know what you get but you do have to go into it with a mindset that people want to go through the content quick, don't read tactics for lower level dungeons and that nobody really cares what gear they roll for because they'll replace it in a few levels anyway. Screw having spirit on mail or cloth (pre-level 40), a tank or DPS will roll for it anyway since it has stats.
    People will pull, pets have growl on or are tanking pets, not many will CC while others AOE the hell out of things.
    Gotta roll with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of people think differently about the approach towards dungeons now. As long as the mobs all die in a timely manner, no one cares how it's done. The age of careful pulls seems to be over. The tank is only important to the majority of people, on bosses. It's like a big jumbled dance. I think it pisses off people that remember how it used to be. For the newer folks playing the game, this is how it's always been, and so they aren't offended by it.

when i tank, i pull till the healer says stop, when i heal, i heal the tank only unless its raidwide damage fro ma boss, you pull agrro and die, its your fault. when i DPS, i follow the tank and kill shit. if i get aggro, its normally dead before getting to me, including bosses.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    Well i'm offended by all kinds of douchebaggery, for a lack of a better term. And a player who rolls tank just to satisfy some twisted superiority complex is most certainly an asshole. If you're a jerk to that player then godspeed Though tbh I don't think I have ever come across such a player. Perhaps cuz I also usually queue as a tank and ask the group if they'd like me to DPS for a faster run.

If you're actually nice, polite, and empathetic to new players and only susceptible to raging at tanks with god complexes, then I apologize for completely taking you out of context.
    I like you

I've played as all three roles over the years.

When I first started tanking, as a low level, I would get very upset when people would pull. Only because I was trying to learn myself - how to tank, how to keep up a good pace, etc. I didn't have a full grasp on all my cooldowns and wasn't awesome at pulling stuff off people yet, etc.

The first dungeon I ever tanked was Deadmines back in vanilla. The group were horrible to me. They complained I pulled too slowly, that I was an idiot for using a shield, that I died too quickly when I took my shield off, etc. I still remember it clearly because it kind of rattled me.

The worst part was I told them it was my first try at tanking. In my opinion, if someone fronts up and says, "hey, guys, sorry could you go a little easy on me? This is my first tanking attempt", then I firmly believe you should stop being so damn impatient and just go easy for a few pulls, give the person a chance.

That said, once we're all 90 and overgearing stuff, it's not an issue anymore. My only expectation is that if DPS or whoever want to pull mobs and they screw up and die or whatever, it's their own fault.

Much like if a healer says "brb" or "oom" and the tank carries on, it's the tank's fault if he/she dies.

And I got much better at tanking, although to be honest I ditched that Deadmines character after that and didn't try tanking again for a long, long time. If everyone could just remember that we're all people and we make mistakes and need a break from time to time - and for God's sake, it's a GAME - then the whole experience would be a lot more enjoyable.
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

Etiquette and respect in dungeons? This was never really much of a thing to begin with. Sure, you can throw your tinted goggles on and remember the happy time 7 years ago you made a friend in a dungeon, or that glorious time everyone joked around during a dungeon. Let's be serious, random people running a dungeon has usually never been a good experience. There has always been the tons of people who do not know their role, tons of elitists, and let's not forget the "respectful" people back in the day that after you try putting a group together for 2 hours they just happen to remember they can't run the dungeon for some reason on the way there. Sure, things were a bit better 8 years ago, but people being idiots in dungeons is surely not something new.

Did anyone forget that tanks actually need aggro? They need it for vengance (dps) and rage/HP (war, druid, paly). So when you decide to pull you fuck it up for them. It absolutely sucks having no rage, no aggro, and you are completely useless. Might as well go dps at that point.

First, lets make things clear

Healer = healer, aka heals the group
    DPS = damage dealer, aka deals damage to monsters
    Tank = tank, aka takes and keeps aggro of mobs

in short - theres no puller role available in the game.

Things like slow/bad tanks usually result into dps pulling, and that has been in the game forever - only thing you can do about it is to get better at your job.

And FYI, tanks arent the only drama queens / asshats whiners in the game. When i queue into random dungeon im always queueing as all 3 roles, so i usually get the tank one -> basically solo the instance and get whined by dpsers that i go "too fast" or "dont solo the instance". Always found it funny people keep whining when they're getting boosted

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    I have a hard time believing this, mainly because it's all but impossible to die in any 5 mans in the game at the moment.

Also, if you're tanking, you should be tanking instead of bitching about someone else tanking.
    Yeah, and this is why you're an idiot.

Infracted, post constructively.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-03-10 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    Yeah, and this is why you're an idiot.
    Please, tell me more. Are heroics really so difficult for you that you are unable to:

-Run as fast as other players in your party
    -Hold/manage threat when the game basically does it for you (as a tank)
    -Kill/kite/cd an add in a reasonable amount of time so as to avoid death (as a dps)
    -Tank an add with a HoT on yourself so as to avoid death (as a healer)

Heroics are outgeared even by brand new level 90's. If you have trouble enough with them that you find it difficult to survive as any class or role with or without a tank, then you might want to avoid calling other people idiots for your inability to play at a basic level.

I'm not sure how my ability to solo clear a heroic in around 5-7 minutes depending on which it is makes me an idiot, but I'm sure the groups you join are happy to have someone like you in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    There was NEVER any respect in dungeons. Just Arse-holes faking it so they would get invited back.

hmm 5000 posts lol
    i agree wih this. roftl.