Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anceleon View Post
    Whenever I do dungeons, and I see that the group is at least 510+, I encourage the tank and the dps to pull as much as possible. They won't die, though some bigger pulls might actually require healing, which is damn awesome.
    This is the correct way.
    But unfortunately there are people with the confidence of a 550+ ilvl and the ilvl of a freshly dinged.

The combination doesn't work well.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    Video games were originally directed at kids, and even now most games rated Teen. Keep denying the fact that most gamers are kids, and keep telling yourself most gamers are 20+ just to feel better about the fact that you are in your 30s and play video games. Im out...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...s-30-says-esa/
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    If the DPS are from my guild, they die in seconds, so threat is not even an issue.
    If the DPS are from your guild then it's a pre-made group and you can do whatever you want. This discussion is about random groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    From your posts in this thread you sound like the kind of tank who would cry and whine and /sit at the entrance because the DPS wont stroke your ego. Get over yourself while I continue to help give random groups fast dungeon clears.
    I've only ever tanked low level dungeons, and for what it's worth I did try to taunt aggro off idiots who pull. That doesn't make me ignorant of dungeon etiquette. I don't expect everyone to be as tolerant of jackasses as I am. More often than not I heal and I get really annoyed by players who think the dungeon is a timed race. If you want to do something like that either run with pre-mades or run challenge modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

I always act respectful, regardless of role.

But if I am a tank, I do act like the leader. Simply because the group depends on me to be the wall and I depend on them for me to stay alive and the npcs so die, so if the group is dpsing something they shouldn't be, or standing in the fire I will be brutal about it.

Buuut, swearing or not, I'm still kind :P
    New season. Fun times.

" Who would of thought a small kid from Aberdeen, Washington, who was always labelled a B+ player, who would of thought that guy could of main evented Wrestlemania? Nobody. Nobody except ...you guys."

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    What's the polite thing? Dumbing my skill down to your level?
    The polite thing is waiting for everyone to loot/skin/grab quests/take a look around the dungeon because it may be their first time there. What does waiting between pulls have to do with skill? If anything, it requires less skill for the tank to chain pull because they maintain their rage that way. The only player whose skill is being tested by chain pulls is the healer. Trust me, you're not impressing anyone when you chain pull.

Wait... You think that a good wow player carrying a noob is like an NBA player carrying a high school player? You do realize that NBA players already do this, right? The kids love it.
    There's nothing "good" about a player who enters a dungeon that they outgear and proceeds to behave like a jerk. Shutting players out of loot and JP is not "carrying" them.

- - - Updated - - -

But, it does happen in real life. An NBA player goes to a high school and players with the kids.
    As a planned exhibition event. He doesn't just crash their game unannounced and start dunking balls while they basically spend their lunch time watching him play instead of playing themselves.
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Video games were originally directed at kids, and even now most games rated Teen. Keep denying the fact that most gamers are kids, and keep telling yourself most gamers are 20+ just to feel better about the fact that you are in your 30s and play video games. Im out...
    Wow... you should probably not open your mouth when you know nothing about the topic.

"The average age of game players is: 30"
    http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/esa_ef_2013.pdf (Page 4)

Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    Wow... you should probably not open your mouth when you know nothing about the topic.

"The average age of game players is: 30"
    http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/esa_ef_2013.pdf (Page 4)

The average age of game players is 30. This includes basically anyone who plays anything that could be called a game, including Farmville on Facebook or Words with Friends on their iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    The average age of game players is 30. This includes basically anyone who plays anything that could be called a game, including Farmville on Facebook or Words with Friends on their iPhone.
    The post he was replying to didn't specify otherwise:
    Farmville and Words with Friends are still considered video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been in situations where the tank yells at me to stop pulling things on my warlock. I then proceed to solo the entire dungeon while the rest of the group runs behind me. I guess it works out for everyone in the end when you can actually kill the mobs you pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantwingrr View Post
    I've been in situations where the tank yells at me to stop pulling things on my warlock. I then proceed to solo the entire dungeon while the rest of the group runs behind me. I guess it works out for everyone in the end when you can actually kill the mobs you pull.
    It works out for you, but everyone else in the group is basically screwed, unless they were only in it for the valor. Most boss fights lock out everyone who's not in the room with you and that's depriving your fellow players of JP and/or loot. So congratulations on soloing the dungeon in a random run, I guess. Like everyone keeps saying, most heroics are soloable when you overgear them these days because they were tuned for 463 ilevel and most raiders are at 560+. That doesn't mean you have to deprive players who are trying to gear up for LFR of their 463 crap gear. All you've really managed to prove is that you can act like colossally selfish jerk.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a tank that is fortunate enough to have the gear I have I tend to go in the dungeon and mass pull as much and as fast as I can. There isn't much trash that can give me problems and I tend to do as much if not more dmg than most dps so I just gogogog. HOWEVER! as soon as I get to a boss I just wait to make sure that everyone is in the area and then pull as I'm just there for JP and the 5 seconds to wait for everyone will let them have a good time.

No one ever told me I was pulling too fast etc the only thing most want is a shot at gear and the points so just let them have that shot and you can pretty much do what you want.

To all those that don't like how tanks pull etc by all means pick up the mantle and show us how it should be done if you don't like it!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's the tanks job to control the pace of the dungeon. Whether or not the tank feels like mass pulling or not isn't your problem or decision (healers and dps I'm talking to you) and it's also not your place to ask them why they are not pulling to your speed.

Not all tanks are the same. Personally, I honestly don't stop to kill anything. Run and pull all the way to the boss unless something prevents me from doing so or if there really isn't a good reason to do so. I then aoe everything down. That's my style. Some don't like it. That's to bad for them. You're more than welcome to leave and queue again. I also tank all my valor runs in my ret gear as it's faster and more fun.

If I'm tanking for a bunch of randoms I'll let them know where to stand or if I am going to make a very long pull as notice to not dps. If you want to go ham on adds that are chasing me and die then that's your fault.

If for any reason a DPS or healer decides to pull for me without me telling them to (in dungeons or raids) I hope you can survive because I won't heal you or pull the mobs off you. I'll even laugh at you if you die. Yep, I can be that kind of an asshole. Let me do my job and you do yours. There was a time when I wasn't so cynical when it comes to tanking but if you play and tank long enough in this game (goes for healing as well) you'll eventually get there.

The DPS and healers that are pulling for the tank that is learning or just hasn't gotten the hang of chain pulling and using their active mitigation really suck and you wonder why no one wants to tank your LFRs. I've ran into a lot of tanks that are getting the hang of it and are discouraged because some wannabe hotshot DPS berated them non stop throughout an entire dungeon. Some of those people may have turned out to be really good tanks but don't want to deal with the drama.

tldr: Let the tanks do their jobs. Especially if they're under geared or learning. Remember. We can leave and let you wait for another tank. Insta-queues are glorious. You might find yourself waiting for a long time to get another tank. Keep that in mind before chastising a tank that is learning or isn't as fast as you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    You might find yourself waiting for a long time to get another tank.
    Depends on if you deem 2-3 minutes (at most) a "long time".
    Usually, when a tank leaves a 5 man group, he gets replaced instantly. They aren't as rare as you seem to think/want.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2014-03-11 at 09:22 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Depends on if you deem 2-3 minutes (at most) a "long time".
    Usually, when a tank leaves a 5 man group, he gets replaced instantly. They aren't as rare as you seem to think/want.
    With all the QQ from the DPS you would think tanks hardly exist.

I don't care how long you wait. If I were to leave a dungeon for any reason I'd have forgotten the idiots as soon as the glorious sound pops of another queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    I don't care how long you wait. If I were to leave a dungeon for any reason I'd have forgotten the idiots as soon as the glorious sound pops of another queue.
    My favorite is when the tank leaves in a huff before pulling the first boss. I wish I could see the look on their face as they realized that they had just incurred a 30 minute deserter debuff.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the majority of the responses, I'm in total agreement with the OP.

When I'm gearing up a new tank (just did recently on my Monk) I really have no issue with overgeared DPS pulling and generally just making the run go faster than it would if they weren't.

Then again, I don't do 5 mans because I enjoy them. I do them for the rewards at the end, the faster the better.

I understand the people who do them because they enjoy them, and despise when a 570 geared DPS just solo's it for them, but they're pretty much a minority.

Can you really blame people who want things done faster, take it into their own hands, and successfully make the run faster?

Edit: the anecdote the OP shared has people just being assholes. I think its possible for an overgeared DPS to basically solo a run without being an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    Edit: the anecdote the OP shared has people just being assholes. I think its possible for an overgeared DPS to basically solo a run without being an asshole.
    That's pretty much the bottom line. I generally don't care so much when people run ahead as long as they do the following:
    • Refrain from bitching when players stop to loot
    • Loot skinnable corpses if there's a skinner in the group
    • Wait for everyone to catch up before pulling the boss
    • Wait for resurrections when players die
    • Refrain from bitching if they die due to their own stupidity
    • Don't blame the healer if the party wipes because they pulled something the group wasn't prepared for

Deleted
    To me, the responsibility of pulling is not stricly for the tank, though in most cases it just happens to be most convenient.

In current hcs, if I join with my balance druid, I can and I will pull if the tank pulls even remotely slow. As far as I am concerned, no one does the current hcs with the intent of having a nice group experience where you carefully plan each pull with CCs and mana and what not. The reason people do hcs nowadays is for JPs, reputation and items. In all those cases, speed is the only thing that matters, who pulls does not.

If my pulling ahead slows down the group, I won't pull ahead. If it speeds up things, I will pull ahead. And from my experience, most people appreciate that.

When I tank on my characters I know exactly what I can hold and can't hold and survive. Usually the first pull of a dungeon is to test my healer and see how quickly they react to my damage intake and to see how their mana regen is. Usually the only reason I stop pulling is if I'm waiting for a short CD ability to come (death and decay, avenger's shield etc) off CD (5 secs or less is my cutoff point) or stopping to loot a pile of corpses. Sometimes I don't pull an extra pack as its awkward to get them to group up with the previous, at least while any non-melee are left in the previous group. I have leveled 14 characters to level cap with many of them being tank so I know all the dungeons backwards and forwards and all the tricks of the mobs and bosses. My biggest pet peeve is when I'm rooted to the ground and people run off and pull everything.
    I give bad feedback all the time, I just dont rage or give them shit. Paying for content does not gives you the license to be an asshole.