Page 1 of 3
LastLast

" Magic find " vs difficulty - How does it work now?

I've been playing since 2.0.1 and loving it. Even more so because I no longer have to carry around a MF set, gimping myself with crap items to find awesome ones.

However, it is a bit unclear to me what the benefits of playing at a higher difficulty are now. Sure, it says you get more XP which translates into leveling faster and/or gaining paragon faster... but what does changing the difficulty do -exactly- to your chances of finding rares/legendaries.

Anyone who can enlighten me? Did I miss the explanation somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    I've been playing since 2.0.1 and loving it. Even more so because I no longer have to carry around a MF set, gimping myself with crap items to find awesome ones.

However, it is a bit unclear to me what the benefits of playing at a higher difficulty are now. Sure, it says you get more XP which translates into leveling faster and/or gaining paragon faster... but what does changing the difficulty do -exactly- to your chances of finding rares/legendaries.

Anyone who can enlighten me? Did I miss the explanation somewhere?

Well you simply improve your chances of getting better gear but I don't really think its by a lot and that is probably why Blizzard hasn't mentioned or got into detailt with numbers.

I also think you have a better chance rolling higher stats for each legendary.

Difficulty doesn't have anything to do with item drops at this time. In RoS there are Torment exclusive legendaries but that's it. Difficulty is for paragon leveling efficiency and personal challenge.

It takes Paragon level 800 to hit 50/50 in all the capped paragon stats so it's definitely best to play the highest difficulty you can efficiently clear for the xp bonus.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2014-03-08 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Difficulty doesn't have anything to do with item drops at this time. In RoS there are Torment exclusive legendaries but that's it. Difficulty is for paragon leveling efficiency and personal challenge.
    Torment 1 and increasing the ranks in torment increases the chance of legendaries dropping

Torment I to VI do increase the rate of legendary/set drop rates (look at the tooltip for the slider). MF however was nerfed to the ground, especially for legendaries (also look at the tooltip). :P

The exact increase in the droprate is hidden by blizz. In the beta at some time it was a 250% increase for Torment I. This may be outdated.
    Last edited by Hubbl3; 2014-03-08 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Torment 1 and increasing the ranks in torment increases the chance of legendaries dropping
    Neat. I wasn't aware of that. It hasn't been apparent in my experience. Either the modifier increases very very slightly or my luck is just crap. Likely the latter.

Deleted
    Rolling through the torment level that allows you to absolutely ruin monster healthbars will probably get you more legendaries in the end. I farmed on Torment VI for a while but it was very slow to do and I found maybe a total of 3 legendaries in a few days. Steamrolling through Torment I while ignoring any and all mechanics and instead randomly pressing my buttons has yielded me well over 15 already in about 2 days.

Deleted
    Yeah i find Jinze's solution to be the best, just steamroll Torment I or II and get a lot of Legendaries, think i got about 20 in 2 days time..

Quote Originally Posted by bakaraven View Post
    Yeah i find Jinze's solution to be the best, just steamroll Torment I or II and get a lot of Legendaries, think i got about 20 in 2 days time..
    Yeah this is really the way to go tbh. My friends insist on going as high torment level as possible. But i always seem to gain much more legendaries than they do because i just do Torment 1. In the time they have cleared 2-3 packs in Torment V or VI i have cleared 7-8 packs or more. Not to mention i never die or get stuck on a champion pack. So right now the extra droprate on the higher Torment levels doesn't really seem to be worth the trouble.
    Last edited by Synithin; 2014-03-08 at 04:45 PM.
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

Deleted
    Magic Find diminishes in strength for higher quality drops.
    • Magics are effected by 100% of your Magic Find.
    • Rares are effected by 30% of your Magic Find.
    • Legendaries are effected by 10% of your Magic Find.

What does this mean? If you have 100% Magic Find:
    • Magics will drop 100% more (double).
    • Rares will drop 33% more.
    • Legendaries will drop 10% more.
    • All of these statements are relative to their original drop rate (Which we don't know)

Increasing your slider will only increase your Gold Find and XP as follows:
    • Normal: 0% Gold + XP
    • Hard: 75% Gold + XP
    • Expert: 100% Gold + XP
    • Master: 200% Gold + XP
    • Torment 1: 300% Gold + XP*
    • Torment 2: 400% Gold + XP*
    • Torment 3: 550% Gold + XP*
    • Torment 4: 800% Gold + XP*
    • Torment 5: 1150% Gold + XP*
    • Torment 6: 1600% Gold + XP*

*Each increase of Torment will also increase Legendary drop rates by an unknown number. This ofc does not increase Magic or Rare drop rates.
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2014-03-08 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    its a fairly small increase and unless you can steam roll elites and trash in that level of torment it is not worth doing

Increasing the difficulty only increases the chance for legendaries to drop from elite /champion packs, but only every so slightly. It does not affect the roll ( you can roll a near perfect magefist glives on normal or t6.)

yea but what about the stats of legendaries that drop ? is there difference in quality of the stats and the numbers if same item dropped from Torment I or Torment III ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    yea but what about the stats of legendaries that drop ? is there difference in quality of the stats and the numbers if same item dropped from Torment I or Torment III ?
    No difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    As far as i know there shouldnt be any different. you can roll a perfect legendary on torment1. this allow everyone too be able too get the best gear in the game. But i think if u have a very good team, and farm torment6, it will yield a great among of xp/gold

Always play in a 4 man group and always play on a torment level your group can steamroll through. From personal experience, I seem to get far more legendaries by doing a complete run through and resetting quests. We farm torment 4 play through in 2-3 hours and I average roughly 6-8 legendaries a run. I havent had any luck really just picking a spot and farming it for a few hours.

Deleted
    Does difficulty level affect the drop rates from chests? Been doing CoA runs since my gear sucks and I'm wondering whether or not I should go T6.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderzon View Post
    Does difficulty level affect the drop rates from chests? Been doing CoA runs since my gear sucks and I'm wondering whether or not I should go T6.
    No one really knows.

If so, it probably doesn't effect it enough to require it. You can do your chest runs on normal mode and still get legendaries.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    No one really knows.

If so, it probably doesn't effect it enough to require it. You can do your chest runs on normal mode and still get legendaries.
    Well, since the runs take like 30 seconds on normal and 35 on T6, if noone knows I'll probably stick to T6. So far only found legendaries on T6, but might be RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Always play in a 4 man group and always play on a torment level your group can steamroll through. From personal experience, I seem to get far more legendaries by doing a complete run through and resetting quests. We farm torment 4 play through in 2-3 hours and I average roughly 6-8 legendaries a run. I havent had any luck really just picking a spot and farming it for a few hours.
    Sorry but calling bullshit that you can do a 4man group and clear the game in "2-3 hours" on torment 4.