Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hardcore Mode in WoW

Hardcore Mode in WoW, would it interest you? It would be like Diablo 3's hardcore mode:

A player may create a Hardcore character - the true test of the player's skills.

A Hardcore character is the same as a normal character except for the following:

Hardcore characters' names are displayed in red on the character selection screen, in order to distinguish them.

When a Hardcore character dies, the game ends and you cannot simply reload your last save point because the character is gone forever.

When a Hardcore character dies, they are not removed from the Character Selection Screen, instead remaining there as a robed figure (as pictured) to remind players of their loss until the character is deleted by the player.

Only the Items the Character has worn can be looted by other players (if the player has allowed this before the character died). In effect, the game treats you like a mortal human being rather than the semi-immortal non-Hardcore characters, accordingly called Softcore by Hardcore players.

Hardcore characters are displayed in a more aggressive pose in the Character Selection Screen, depicting their tense state of play.

Hardcore characters are awarded more impressive Titles for beating the game.

Hardcore characters do not have access to normal characters' stash, nor can they trade with normal characters.

Other than these, there are no other differences in gameplay terms. Dead hardcore characters will even retain whatever position on the Hardcore Ladder they may have achieved (albeit with their names in gray) until they have been surpassed by enough other players to knock them off of the Ladder.

Hardcore mode is regarded by many as a more realistic playing experience.

EDIT***

Does it have to be like D3 exactly? NO.

Christ people get so angry at an idea at times.

Modify the fucking thing, I thought the concept was cool as people really love it in other games. Could be as simple as making it to 90, no deaths and receive a kick ass title and mount. Calm the fuck down.
    Last edited by Grogo; 2014-03-08 at 05:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't really work in WoW. There is no way you would be able to do anything, except level to 90 without dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are no save points or stashes in WoW...

No. WoW is a very different game. You can complete everything in D3 HC...I do. You can't raid every boss in WoW without dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be absolutely terrible, terrible, terrible. If you want that go play D3 or Runescape.

You can basicly do this without having this mode. If you die, dont ress. Simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    When a Hardcore character dies, the game ends and you cannot simply reload your last save point because the character is gone forever.
    There are no savepoints/checkpoints in WoW

Hardcore characters are awarded more impressive Titles for beating the game.
    Define beating the game, you can't beat WoW.

Hardcore characters do not have access to normal characters' stash, nor can they trade with normal characters.
    I guess you mean bank? There is no account wide 'bank' or stash like in diablo 3.

Also:
    How would you be able to Raid.
    How would you be able to PvP.
    What would be the endgame for hardcore characters since they can't really do raids or pvp.
    Because raiding involves progress and you will die.
    PvP will also involve a lot of dying, even if you're the best player in the whole universe, if 40 people decide you should die. You die.

WoW is not the kind of game for a hardcore mode like diablo's hardcore mode.

Deleted
    Hard mode levelling maybe, some people seem to want that, but the model you've created doesen't fit WoW at all, the idea that dead characters get deleted would never work in WoW. Diablo is a singleplayer/cooperative multiplayer game where the player is responsible for his or her own mistakes, in WoW, in raiding, you've got 10-25 other people who need to not suck. You're going to die, and you're going to die a lot.

I can see it now...

Guild leaders girlfriend dies. He wipes the entire raid to cover her failure. 23 innocent people are out a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickinator View Post
    You can basicly do this without having this mode. If you die, dont ress. Simple.
    Aaand this reply just about ends the thread.

Hardcore in WoW would have to be something else than never-died, because in WoW dying is a part of game, some activities like raiding or even some quests can't be done without dying really. Maybe something more of ironman challenge (or whatever it was called) being part of actual game (some time ago there was a popular challenge that required you to level to 90 without using anything better than grey gear, even though game didn't give any achivement for it some people had fun trying to do it).

It would suck. Just roll a char and when it dies - delete it. This will most likely happen in your first LFR run when some 12 year old tank has to dropgroup for his dinner

I just don't see how a hardcore mode could work in a game like WoW. I'm sure you could make it to 90 without dying, but then what? You'd have to avoid basically all endgame content.

Raiding:
    "Well guys, looks like we wiped. Time for the second attempt! .......oh wait."

PvP:
    <Hordie McHorde> HEY GUYS THAT ALLIANCE WARRIOR IS ON A HARDCORE CHARACTER, LETS ALL GANG UP ON HIM AND KILL HIM LOLOL"

I think what OP is trying to say is he wants an official "Iron Man" challenge implemented into the game and have actual in game rewards from completing it, other than just bragging rights.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

10+ Year Old Account
    First thing that came to my mind is "Oh look, a level 89 hordie with a very red name bar, let's gank him!"

10+ Year Old Account
    How do people come up with such terrible ideas?

Hardcore characters' names are displayed in red
    To make them easier target for ganking?

I would do Hardcore mode in WoW total differently then it is in Diablo III like you described.

My thoughts:

When a hardcore char dies then the following happens:
    - a 300% experience point removal penalty (means you drop 3 levels).
    - All assigned talentpoints and spec are reset and all glyphs are removed from character.
    - All spells acquired in the levels you lost are unlearned.
    - All earned achievements stays. Even if earned in the 3 levels you lost upon death.
    - All earned reputations are dropped 1 level (exalted drops to revered). You do the matching quests to this reputation level again to get reputation back.
    - All learned professions are dropped 75 professions skill points making you drop 1 profession title (like Zen Master to Illustrious).
    - Inventory (current equipement, bags, bank and void storage) is cleared.
    - Money can be earned back (read below).
    - If inside guild; Your guild reputation is reset to reputation level Friendly. Guild role (like officer or guild master) is unchanged.

Your corpse stays behind and can your visible equipment can be looted only. If you transmogged to paladin T2 judgement armor then the player can loot only paladin T2 judgement armor. Your corpse will fade away after 1 hour.

You can't resurrect at your body with your spirit, but you be ressurected from another player. When you aren't/can't be ressurected by another player (or choose to release your spirit) then you your character respawns at the original startingpoint of your chosen race (Valley of Trials in Durotar for Orcs for example). You start with a basic green armorset matching your class, level and last played spec.

When you respawn you can choose to do a small questline (starting inside a phased startingzone) to earn 25% of your money back. This included finding your body back. This questline, whether you are busy with it or paused on it, will be expired after 1 hour when you died when also your corpse fades away. It only expire when you log off. Find your body back before it is looted then you also get your armor back (worn equipment with the transmogged visual like you how you left it).

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    I can see it now...

Guild leaders girlfriend dies. He wipes the entire raid to cover her failure. 23 innocent people are out a character.
    are you 12?

Im just saying Gl on lich king in icc

Theoretically it's quite possible to go without dying from level 1 to beating SOO on LFR. Obviously, the first step is to choose a PvE server. The second step is to choose a class that can avoid death, like rogue or hunter. The third step is to train your reflexes on being lightning fast to quit the group in dungeons when the shit hits the fan. Give it a try and I'm sure you'll make it.