Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Return of 40 Man Raiding

[Nostalgia] I wonder if 40 Man raiding will ever return in its glory to an epic scale. It would certainly make 10, 15, 20, and 25 man raids look laughable. So, question of the day: If 40 man raiding returned, would you go for it, ignore it, or quit? [/Nostalgia]

Too much lag for my taste.
    I can barely do anything during Ordos kills.

I'd love it but don't see it ever happening sadly.

Deleted
    No. Make the world bosses more epic instead.

Oh yeah, gathering 40 people sounds hugely fun, double the lag that 25m already has really seems a lot of fun too. So epic.

World bosses being more epic would require some sort of instance so as to not allow for zerging.

On 40 man, I would love it if they allowed flex to go up to 40 man atleast have some venue as to where you can get you big raid rocks off.

This many replies in and nobody's brought up the "It was just a 25m group that brought 15 extra people to help soak things" part?
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

40 mans would be a lag fest, and take WAY to long to set up. Take it from the classic raider.

ya sadly 40 wont happen again. blizz already openly admitted to the lag issues in 25 man raids atm, so 40 would be even worse!

those good ol' days are gone.

"If you watch Godzilla in reverse, it's about a giant lizard repairing Tokyo and then Moonwalking into the ocean."

No. The game has entirely moved past it. Frankly unified 20 man change should have been a MoP feature rather than a WoD one. 40 mans were sustainable mostly due to the environment: a quarter the number of servers, no server transfers, LFR or Flex, "Raiding in a raid guild" being the only way end game aspect the game had and fight design far simplier than today (basically composed of: dps, don't hit the wrong thing, don't blow up people around you, don't pull aggro).

40 mans were great in their time, but that time is gone and it's never coming back. It would take undoing every advance the game has made since 2007. Hell, you'd likely have to cut down on the number of abilities each class has dramatically as we've all seen what kind of lag that has lead to with 25 people the past two patches.

I didnt have a computer at the time to handle it with AV still being a lag fest at the time. From what I have seen and read I dont see it working so well with current designs. Personally such large group battles interest me when it is designed more around the idea of several smaller groups working together, but have separate responsibilities. Perhaps more like Lady Vashj where different groups had different tasks which each groups completion of tasks being important in the success of others. With the way WoW game play is set up now I dont really see it working out well. That kind of game play is more strategy RPG focused.

There is a reason why 40 man raids went away. Let them lie where thay are; in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    out of your usual 40man raidgrp, 15 were afk and 10 were buff bots, so it dosnt really change a thing exept adding lag ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    [Nostalgia] I wonder if 40 Man raiding will ever return in its glory to an epic scale. It would certainly make 10, 15, 20, and 25 man raids look laughable. So, question of the day: If 40 man raiding returned, would you go for it, ignore it, or quit? [/Nostalgia]
    I would never be able to gather 39 people in my entire life for a 40 man raid.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

No, it was fun but it's only nostalgia. It's to much pain to organize. And btw it was mostly just a 25m group that brought 15 extra people to help soak things
    Last edited by Anon56; 2014-02-14 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    It would certainly make 10, 15, 20, and 25 man raids look laughable.
    Most "organized" 40 man raids would make LFR look organized.

Bad idea, too hard to coordinate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    40 mans would be a lag fest, and take WAY to long to set up. Take it from the classic raider.
    i was in a 40 man raiding guild in vanilla & we had no problem getting raids together.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    i was in a 40 man raiding guild in vanilla & we had no problem getting raids together.
    The other 1958578239 guilds had.

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    I would never be able to gather 39 people in my entire life for a 40 man raid.
    These days it would require a 40 man LFR.......and we all know how that would go over.