Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Developers saying what they would LIKE isn't the same as them stating what the game will DO. They stated that flight will return in 6.1, and while they may have made indications that they would like it to not come back even then - they haven't actually gone back on that.... yet!
    1) Not any more.
    2) How would they?

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    To use your anology. Imagine walking through that mall completely empty because everyone is somewhere above. The general feeling would be desolate and moody compared to it being populated and busy if everyone above were instead actually inside of it.

This is player interaction at its most basic level and you refuse to acknowledge it.
    So your argument would be that online shopping should be banned in order to increase the number of people "interacting" at malls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninepenny View Post
    I think Street, Chilton and Afrasiabi have been very explicit in how they "like" flying. Bashiok did a damn good job putting their concerns into concrete words. The last thing that remains in a way of its removal is how much players value this convenience.

Developers already made their decision - players didn't.
    Bashiok said that Flight Paths are more immersive than flying mounts. If reading news instead of playing the game is indeed more immersive, than Bashiok is playing the wrong game.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Bashiok said that Flight Paths are more immersive than flying mounts. If reading news instead of playing the game is indeed more immersive, than Bashiok is playing the wrong game.
    Where?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...6539?page=5#82
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12506571347#12

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    To use your anology. Imagine walking through that mall completely empty because everyone is somewhere above. The general feeling would be desolate and moody compared to it being populated and busy if everyone above were instead actually inside of it.

This is player interaction at its most basic level and you refuse to acknowledge it.
    Yeah, we get that. What we have evolved to realize is we would rather those people float 100 yards above us so we could get our damn shopping done in a reasonable amount of time, without being stalled by shit that annoys us.

See, what you fail to realise is...we've been here. We've played this game. In vanilla. We grew to hate it and we cheered the annoucement of flying mounts. Soooo I'm not exactly sure how you figure history doesn't repeat itself.

It's not like the game has changed drastically since then. People still hate travelling, they still hate getting stunned off their mounts...they get annoyed getting stuck on roots, and rocks and spending 10 minutes to find a not so obvious path to get somewhere. They hate fighting OUT of a place once they've achieved their objectives.

All these things are annoyances...not fun. Not adding to the game.

Trust me. Once the shine wears off and the grind starts...you are not going to appreciate the "immerse" experience you claim to revel in. And interaction with other people in wow? Once you grow up...and actually READ or interact with your fellow wow player, you will come to the realization that people are generally dicks in this game. Like that's their goal: to be a dick. So player interaction outside of your guild...is not gonna be something you are going to wanna bath in.

That's once you grow up though.

If you don't believe me, take any topic. Ask it in general chat. Then time how long it takes for that topic to devolve into a ridiculous argument between trolls. Then ask yourself...would anything of any value be missed by simply turning off general chat? And if you say no...then what's the difference of turning off other players in general? Everyone except those you get along with in your guild...

You'll get there one day.
    Last edited by Drytoast; 2014-11-17 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're going to need to do something to fix the damage done by the queues subscriber wise, because the bad PR is mounting as we get into day five of the queuetastrophe.

Talking about reinstating flying will probably generate enough of a shockwave to wipe the bad queue experience from people's minds, so I expect some dialogue surrounding that to come within the next couple of weeks.

I think it was somewhere far before that. I could be remembering wrong and he just implied it.
    But hey, we can go back to the fortress example they first used to justify no flying at max level and break that down again.
    Anyway, maybe you can explain why flight paths are more fun than traveling yourself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drytoast View Post

Trust me. Once the shine wears off and the grind starts...you are not going to appreciate the "immerse" experience you claim to revel in. And interaction with other people in wow? Once you grow up...and actually READ or interact with your fellow wow player, you will come to the realization that people are generally dicks in this game. Like that's their goal: to be a dick. So player interaction outside of your guild...is not gonna be something you are going to wanna bath in.

If you don't believe me, take any topic. Ask it in general chat. Then time how long it takes for that topic to devolve into a ridiculous argument between trolls. Then ask yourself...would anything of any value be missed by simply turning off general chat? And if you say no...then what's the difference of turning off other players in general? Everyone except those you get along with in your guild...
    Maybe it's time for you to play a different computer game dude.

But hey, we can go back to the fortress example they first used to justify no flying at max level and break that down again.
    There is nothing to break down.

With flying: everything but some mob with highlighted name is irrelevant. The fortress itself might as well not exist - in practice it's a flat ground with nothing on it.
    Without flying: everything is taken into account.
    Anyway, maybe you can explain why flight paths are more fun than traveling yourself?
    It's not, but flying is a package deal and part of that package is the reason why it got removed.

I think the whole pro-flying argument is conflating convenience with the game being better. I can definitely see how removing roadblocks and other non-gameplay enhancing things would make the game better. Connecting flightpaths increases convenience, makes sense, and improves gameplay. However, just because something is more convenient, that doesn't make it the right choice for the game.

Here's an extreme hyperbolic example: Imagine there is a garrison building that spawns random rares for you to kill. It's super convenient because you don't have to leave your fort to kill rares! That's so convenient, great job Blizz! But is that really better for the game? Is the game really enhanced by taking people out of the world and letting them sit in their fort all day?

Obviously, I think not, and obviously I'm not implying Blizz is doing this with flying. What I am implying is that flying is a teeny tiny step in this direction. I don't miss flying at all, and I hope they leave it out. It doesn't add anything to the game for me that I can't get by using a flight path, and it actively takes away the exploration aspect. Yes, I could just use a ground mount even if flying were re-introduced, but now I'm intentionally ham-stringing my progress. I will lose out on rares and such constantly, be destroyed in pvp (swooped down upon), and have a terrible game experience for those and other reasons. So no, using a ground mount when flying is available is not an option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    I think the whole pro-flying argument is conflating convenience with the game being better. I can definitely see how removing roadblocks and other non-gameplay enhancing things would make the game better. Connecting flightpaths increases convenience, makes sense, and improves gameplay. However, just because something is more convenient, that doesn't make it the right choice for the game.

Here's an extreme hyperbolic example: Imagine there is a garrison building that spawns random rares for you to kill. It's super convenient because you don't have to leave your fort to kill rares! That's so convenient, great job Blizz! But is that really better for the game? Is the game really enhanced by taking people out of the world and letting them sit in their fort all day?

Obviously, I think not, and obviously I'm not implying Blizz is doing this with flying. What I am implying is that flying is a teeny tiny step in this direction. I don't miss flying at all, and I hope they leave it out. It doesn't add anything to the game for me that I can't get by using a flight path, and it actively takes away the exploration aspect. Yes, I could just use a ground mount even if flying were re-introduced, but now I'm intentionally ham-stringing my progress. I will lose out on rares and such constantly, be destroyed in pvp (swooped down upon), and have a terrible game experience for those and other reasons. So no, using a ground mount when flying is available is not an option.
    Exactly my feelings on the matter. I'm also loving the world pvp experience of no flying at the moment.

I did ask earlier but got over looked it seems.

Anyone on the Daily quests for apexis crystals on horde had to go to Shadowmoons rooster island or w/e the fuck its called? Was there any way of going to the island via the quest/portal etc or do you have to make your own way there to get the flight path?

I got there fairly OK but several friends and my gf struggled finding an easy route. Aside that one niggle no flights not been a bother. Minings been fantastic (garrison gives so much and I find nodes everywhere). The zones them selves with the tree logging and such keep me active and I enjoyed the random elites and bonus objectives. thumbs up so far for me.

There is nothing to break down.

With flying: everything but some mob with highlighted name is irrelevant. The fortress itself might as well not exist - in practice it's a flat ground with nothing on it.
    Without flying: everything is taken into account.
    Sometimes I wonder why I still look in here every now and then. So much ignorance is hard to keep up for so long.

It's not, but flying is a package deal and part of that package is the reason why it got removed.
    ?

Only cry babies would complain about this.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-11-17 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    When i fly to travel:
    Fly high, point mount in desired direction, auto-run - See haze and bad draw distance high up.

When i fly to quest:
    Divebomb on the objective, do it, fly off, divebomb the next one. The terrain might aswell not exist. I might aswell have a 'teleport to objective' button.

I like not having flying. I like navigating. I like looking at the area in front of me and planning my route with the map etc. I just feel like i'm gaming now.
    And i don't mind flight paths - They seem really fast. And yea, i alt-tab, but i did that with my flying mount too.

Deleted
    Want to have flying right now. Should have been available at lvl 100 from the start.
    Those who want to explore from the ground can do so anyway.
    And worldpvp has never existed, its only about ganking.

You sir get it. And imo its not a tiny step it is huge step.

Flying (see no one)
    Teleporting to instances (less time to get to know eachother, in the short time we actually do play the instances)
    Crossrealm features (no accountability) like CRZ and LFX tool that takes people from different servers

And there are more - are all things that hack a piece from the one thing we as a species desperately seek: to communicate with eachother. It is an mmo after all.

You can choose to do it solo. That is fine. But the days where you were forced to be nice to eachother are almost gone. Taking flying away is a step in the right direction.

Since using a groundmount I have encountered so many people who buff me or heal me and I do the same to them. I help them out even if they tagged the mob before me. We then have a small chat and say our goodbyes. And if we by chance get to encounter eachother again, perhaps we'll be friends?

This just did not happen anymore as often. Sure it is the beginning of an expansion. But I am sure everyone realises that THIS example will happen more often if you don't fly.

I have an idea for this: remove flight paths and let people use flying mounts. This results in less unskippable cutscenes and more interaction with the in-game world.
    Not using a flying mount is definitely an option. We could fly right away at level 80 in Cataclysm already, yet I chose not to while leveling. I only used the flying mount at moments it really was impossible to get to the objective otherwise.

I made a few months of break from WoW and played TERA instead, which doesn't provide flying mounts. (Or at least i haven't seen any). Then i came back to WoW and i've realized that flying is not necessary at all. It makes everything smaller, shorter, less important. It makes you skip a lot of stuff without even noticing. Even if they add back flying in 6.1, i won't use my flying mounts anymore unless it's required. (And now, i'm not a newbie to WoW... been a subscriber since 2006)

Sometimes I wonder why I still look in here every now and then. So much ignorance is hard to keep up for so long.
    We already had this discussion, if I remember correctly.

Have a nice day.