Quote Originally Posted by tobberoth View Post
    Traveling has gameplay value. It's what makes the world feel big. During vanilla, the world was fricking massive. First time as a tauren going from Thunder Bluff to Crossroads took like 10 minutes at least, then you realized what a tiny walk that was in the big scheme of things.

Also, if you have to go AFK every time you fly for 1 minute on the flight path, you barely have enough attention span to even play cellphone games, I don't think WoW is a game you should be playing.
    Again the industry has changed and people who play mmos have come to expect more phrenic action and less pointless downtime. Travel that is slow is pointless and serves no purpose other than to absorb additional time.
    All running instead of flying does is needlessly absorb time. The world is no more fuller without flight. The world is no more immersive without flight. The world is just slower without flight

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Or if you're farming stuff you:

1. Take the flight path to the nearest location there.
    2. Spend about a minute tops riding there.
    3. Spend <insert how long you want to farm for> time farming.
    4. Hearthstone.

You've spent about 3 minutes travelling in total. Don't inflate it with BS travel times. This might surprise you but you're actually talking to people who have played this game and realistically know what happens ingame. This isn't an infomercial with "Tired of all that backbreaking travelling?" How long would you have spent with travel time flying? Maybe 2 minutes?
    That does not change the fact that the speed of the game has been slowed after eight years. the pace of the game has been dramatically slowed. Removing flying did not achieve any of the things people said it would. It just slowed content consumption.
    Last edited by Barkloud; 2014-12-16 at 12:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My curious mind urges me to want flying, as I have noticed a few dark islands in the far distance. Though, wings + trusted raft has brought me the answer that the islands are just, just out of reach to get to.

Pet battles going as it should, I should perhaps more think of leveling the right pets.. Still have an evil carrot loose in the herb garden. Archaeology is going smooth, soon max and a few interesting things found - on land, even!

... oh, and some spoke of efficiency? Well, I earned 30.000 gold by traveling around to a few dig sites, having to kill a few mobs instead of skipping. So digging for achievements + huge gold income, that seems more efficient than flying, no?

I find it a good touch to just group up with people and hunt around as well, tagged a long with a group earlier and we set forth to track down Alliance players, was a good humor and good fights. Better than them flying away.

Saw some mountains I would have loved to take screenshots from, sadly, no flight means I am not able to do so. I'll have to wait for the one day.

Overall, would like flying as it makes things easier (not efficient) but that is even the only reason, easier. Flight paths can get me anywhere now, portals too, teleports and items, over loaded with various ways to get you from A to B. Content is still new as well, so no flight for 6.1 isn't so bad, 6.1 (mostly all the x.1) isn't going to contain a raid but some content. So, I wouldn't mind, 2nd raid setup and flight would be welcomed but right now, if it isn't in your garrison then it is easy to get to.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ogolahst View Post
    I would like an explanation as to how no-flying is the cause of the world appearing less alive. Considering everyone's on one level and not on several ones.
    Less people exploring the world.

World PVP is limited,

People are more likely to help lowbies out by being on the world and I can stop on a dime to help someone out or if they whisper me to open a lockbox (Rogue) for them. Can't do that with flight paths because if I am heading to the other side of the continent I am not taking a flight back to open a lockbox up. Lost interaction with players due to lack of flight is very real and tangible.

etc.

On Emerald Dream, most of the world PVP now happens at Axefall but it is really small skirmishes. In MoP, small and massive raids was the norm on Seven Stars/Two Moons, Serpent Spine PVP gear vendors, etc.

Flying mounts was integral in being able to form a counter attack on Serpent Spine PVP raids. If you used the designated flight path you would be obliterated by a waiting raid if you went single file to Serpent Spine PVP vendors.

We formed up south of the vendors, buffed up and move as a group along Serpent Spine to re-take the vendors. That is just one example. I can cite many others as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That danger has always been there. You just were too much of a coward to make yourself vulnerable w/o being forced by Blizzard.
    Just like everyone else. Don't even try to make the argument that people actually used ground mounts when everyone else used flying mounts, because that's ridiculous. People automatically strive for the path of least resistance, which is why flying mounts has to be blocked for everyone. Same with leveling, no one would ever level up a character if there was a free button which instantly made your character lvl 100, the argument "lulz it's ur choice" is weak as hell.

That danger has always been there. You just were too much of a coward to make yourself vulnerable w/o being forced by Blizzard.
    Too much of a coward to not artificially create a handicap for yourself? What are you even saying? What a load of malarkey. No one is going to hamstring themselves for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Too much of a coward to not artificially create a handicap for yourself? What are you even saying? What a load of malarkey. No one is going to hamstring themselves for no reason.
    and yet he's not wrong.

If you enjoyed running on the ground that much you would have. You are not always so competitive that you can't take some time and do something you seem to enjoy so much.

Lets not pretend you always had to use flying when you did not. when you had time to kill, take that ground mount you loved so much. When you needed to do something a bit quicker, take the flying mount.

Best of both worlds is the way to go. Not castrating travel because blizzard wants you to see some ditch they put in or how well they spawn some random bushes or mob # 02387402 I'm suppose to somehow care for at max level.

the world didn't need flying removed, it needed better designers or at least ones that didn't try to push the game back to 2004 making you trudge through crap for no better reason than to slow you down.
    Last edited by quras; 2014-12-16 at 02:34 PM.

Deleted
    It comes down to what type of person you are.

Looking up toward a mountain, the player notices there is no straight forward route, but notices a walkway in the distance that would possibly make its way to the mountain's summit.

The stressful, narcissistic, self-entitled indivdual will sigh at the situation. Thoughts of easy straight up flight as to not waste their precious time floods their mind. "Why should i spend time looking for a way to get to what i want? Why should i waste my time actually playing this game? Where is my flight hack?" the player shouts.

The other players however, just wander up the path to the summit, reaching their desination and their goal. They play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post

Looking up toward a mountain, the player notices there is no straight forward route, but notices a walkway in the distance that would possibly make its way to the mountain's summit.

The stressful, narcissistic, self-entitled indivdual will sigh at the situation. Thoughts of easy straight up flight as to not waste their precious time floods their mind. "Why should i spend time looking for a way to get to what i want? Why should i waste my time actually playing this game? Where is my flight hack?" the player shouts.

The other players however, just wander up the path to the summit, reaching their desination and their goal. They play the game.
    you have it wrong, the other player wanders up to the path, only to find midway, that the path is a dead and and he has to backtrack for half a minute before he sees the other, and hopefully correct, path...

Come on... thats just false. If he did that, he would be subject to all PVP people who just wtfpwn him every turn they could. Because he wrote a big sign on his forehead HEY GUYS I AM NOT FLYING COME AND GET ME!!! It would be a severe disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Come on... thats just false. If he did that, he would be subject to all PVP people who just wtfpwn him every turn they could. Because he wrote a big sign on his forehead HEY GUYS I AM NOT FLYING COME AND GET ME!!! It would be a severe disadvantage.
    PVP doesn't happen this way...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    you have it wrong, the other player wanders up to the path, only to find midway, that the path is a dead and and he has to backtrack for half a minute before he sees the other, and hopefully correct, path...
    Which is also the game and also this guy will remember that route and take the best one next time.

Which is also the game and also this guy will remember that route and take the best one next time.
    There are mobs, too, so after he does this a hundred times, he will convert into the first type of player which the original poster calls "narcissistic" and "self-entitled".

Deleted
    I'm perfectly fine with that.

Deleted
    The only self entitled narcissist is YOU, trying to belittle other people for their idea of fun, like a 6 year old.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlurps View Post
    The only self entitled narcissist is YOU, trying to belittle other people for their idea of fun, like a 6 year old.
    I didn't mention "fun".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    ... oh, and some spoke of efficiency? Well, I earned 30.000 gold by traveling around to a few dig sites, having to kill a few mobs instead of skipping. So digging for achievements + huge gold income, that seems more efficient than flying, no?
    Arguing for EFFICIENCY with BoE epic drops (which, for me, happened ONCE in 8 YEARS of playing this game on a daily basis) is a little far out, don't you think?

How is flying a hack when it was the main form of transportation for basically the entire game?

Dumbing the game down to 2004 serves no purpose other than to slow consumption.

Players are not wanting what they NEVER had. They are wanting what they have ALWAYS had.

I get you like playing a slowed down version of wow. Some people still like dungeons and dragons the board game instead of video games.

Maybe you should try larping. I do not mean that sarcastically. It sounds like you want real life instead of a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but apparently he would have enjoyed it. Because he is enjoying the very same the same thing right now.
    At least that's what he wants us to believe....

Deleted
    I didn't mention "fun".
    Oh, so you actually wanted to say that being pro flight makes you self-entitled and narcissistic, while being against it means you're the relentless winner, who will overcome any obstacle in game just like in real life, ie making actual assumptions about peoples character because of their stand on the matter? That's even more pathetic.

Get off your high horse, it's a game, nothing more.
    Last edited by mmoc9b2efb84fe; 2014-12-16 at 02:49 PM.

One more comment on this post. I just do not understand the anger and rage and the vile comments from the anti flying side of the argument. It is like many of these posters are really angry people like flying.

I totally support people running. In fact as it has been widely accepted in this thread, players have been free to run all along. I bear no anger towards runners. I am happy blizzard has always strongly supported that play style. I am only asking that they also support the play style I have used for basically the entire game.