Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    That's a terrible idea if you ask me. Have you ever played Aion? You might want to try that if you want a mechanic like that added to flying.
    Flying is just fine. They could reduce the speed to 100%, and add NPC aggro points, but they won't. We'll get flight back in 6.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Sadly there is more.

We already know about low level mobs with AoE stuns and knockback in the starting areas. But the biggest obstacle is that the follower quests (garrisons) require you go back to your garrison to turn them in so your travel time is increased exponentially if you don't use the pre-determined flight paths. Garrisons in Frost Fire Ridge are located in a precarious location as well even if you opt to use your ground mount.
    Might want to figure out what exponentially means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpeaz View Post
    That would probably be in direct contradiction with their budget given by the suits. They boxed themselves into a corner and are looking for a way to continually cut costs and deliver some content.
    I have yet to see somebody actually explain how cutting out flying cuts costs. All you can do is speculate, and most of those speculations hold little water.. But I really don't see it cutting back costs much if at all.

Wonder how much money it takes to make an awesome sky for you all to fly in as opposed to a vibrant landscape..

That's a terrible idea if you ask me. Have you ever played Aion? You might want to try that if you want a mechanic like that added to flying.
    There at the end. Some would hate it. Others would love it. Then the rest of the post you didn't add in (hey without that I can context my point!) explained why it didn't matter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post

There at the end. Some would hate it. Others would love it. Then the rest of the post you didn't add in (hey without that I can context my point!) explained why it didn't matter.
    Let me explain why that is a terrible idea:
    - The part of flying that does NOT ruin the game - long distance travel and exploration - would be penalized.
    - The part of flying that DOES ruin the game - hopping all over the place, skipping mobs, easily sweeping an area of materials & enemy players - would NOT be penalized.

What about my ideas in page 509? Did you check it out?
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2014-06-19 at 09:43 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    Might want to figure out what exponentially means.
    Don't be a dick. Exponentially is commonly used in slang or sarcastic form to me "a lot", which is how he intended it.

On topic, I still don't think this no flying thing is going to be that bad in the end, especially if the garrisons can produce crafting materials at a moderate pace, as Blizzard claims. Does suck we're returning to afk flights though...

Quote Originally Posted by Moridius View Post
    Don't be a dick. Exponentially is commonly used in slang or sarcastic form to me "a lot", which is how he intended it.

On topic, I still don't think this no flying thing is going to be that bad in the end, especially if the garrisons can produce crafting materials at a moderate pace, as Blizzard claims. Does suck we're returning to afk flights though...
    I afk flight with flying as it is. I'm not like a lot of the people in this thread who just can't contain my excitement while flying through a barren sky box to some point on the map. I literally tab out and watch a video or something. Thank god soon traveling won't be so trivialized and boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have little issue with AION flight. It's not unlimited and it's really short at low-levels, but outside of those circumstances you can fly for a VERY long time with good gear and potions.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I had some free time last week, so I filled it seeing if we can get some external media coverage about flying. I sent the below message to some editors at different media groups that cover video games. Hopefully one of them will speak with Blizzard and get them to open up about their decision to remove the games main source of transportation

Message Template

Hello XXXX,

I was wondering if you have been following the heated debate that has been raging on the different forums regarding Blizzard's brief comments that flying may be permanently disabled in their upcoming expansion.

Here is a link to a post made on mmo-champion: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ut-entire-xpac

Here is a link to a post made on blizzards official WOW site: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13139064121

Blizzard, who is known for providing long explanations for even minor changes, has been oddly quiet about the upcoming change.

Here are Bashiok's (Blizzard Developer) comments: http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/04/26/ba...ds-of-draenor/

I think there is a great story here. The community is torn and raging back and forth with one another. Blizzards only comments are really what Bashiok said. The argument is really heating up. This is all without the general "non-forum" reading playerbase who is blissfully unaware that flying is on the chopping block.

In fact, Blizzard is still selling flying mounts without a peep to their customers that they may be unable to fly in a few months.

Since the no flight announcement there have been numerous, "How to refund your WoD pre Order" walkthroughs.

Anyhow, I have been a long time reader. I really think if you can get Blizzard to openly talk it will be helpful. I will be reaching out to some other publications and blogs as well.

I would really like to read about what is going on with Blizzard’s decision to effectively remove the games main source of transportation. Unless those, such as yourself, who inform the gaming community, get involved, millions of players could go searching for a flight master that does not exist at level 100.

It is a great story to break...

All the Best,

XXXXXX

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    I had some free time last week, so I filled it seeing if we can get some external media coverage about flying. I sent the below message to some editors at different media groups that cover video games. Hopefully one of them will speak with Blizzard and get them to open up about their decision to remove the games main source of transportation

Message Template

Hello XXXX,

I was wondering if you have been following the heated debate that has been raging on the different forums regarding Blizzard's brief comments that flying may be permanently disabled in their upcoming expansion.

Here is a link to a post made on mmo-champion: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ut-entire-xpac

Here is a link to a post made on blizzards official WOW site: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13139064121

Blizzard, who is known for providing long explanations for even minor changes, has been oddly quiet about the upcoming change.

Here are Bashiok's (Blizzard Developer) comments: http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/04/26/ba...ds-of-draenor/

I think there is a great story here. The community is torn and raging back and forth with one another. Blizzards only comments are really what Bashiok said. The argument is really heating up. This is all without the general "non-forum" reading playerbase who is blissfully unaware that flying is on the chopping block.

In fact, Blizzard is still selling flying mounts without a peep to their customers that they may be unable to fly in a few months.

Since the no flight announcement there have been numerous, "How to refund your WoD pre Order" walkthroughs.

Anyhow, I have been a long time reader. I really think if you can get Blizzard to openly talk it will be helpful. I will be reaching out to some other publications and blogs as well.

I would really like to read about what is going on with Blizzard’s decision to effectively remove the games main source of transportation. Unless those, such as yourself, who inform the gaming community, get involved, millions of players could go searching for a flight master that does not exist at level 100.

It is a great story to break...

All the Best,

XXXXXX
    Amazingly biased.

Amazingly biased.
    I thought it was quite balanced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Inconveince IS effort. Ya know how Goblins say "time is money"? Well it's true. Time IS money. Inconvenience is not some sort of alternative concept. It is simply a level of effort, one wherein the effort exerted is well beyond the rewards obtained.
    "Inconvenient things are inconvenient not because they require effort"

Your words.

- - - Updated - - -

And so the I want convenience rather than game play debate continues. Grow some balls people.

- - - Updated - - -

Start by telling me what game play flying adds.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    "Inconvenient things are inconvenient not because they require effort"

Your words.

- - - Updated - - -

And so the I want convenience rather than game play debate continues. Grow some balls people.
    I think we need more fun and less fun avoidance.

Getting dismounted by trash mobs I used to fly over does not sound like fun to me. It sounds frustrating. And i am not talking about the good kind of "just wiped but we are so close to killing that boss frustrated" either. I am talking about the "needless, pointless" type of frustrating.

Fun>No FUN

Again this is me, I know some of you live to be dismounted by a creature that is 200 i-levels below you whose sole existence is to dismount you.
    Last edited by Barkloud; 2014-06-19 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Start by telling me what game play flying adds.
    game·play
    ˈgāmˌplā/
    noun
    noun: game-play
    the tactical aspects of a computer game, such as its plot and the way it is played, as distinct from the graphics and sound effects.
    Since different people experience different game play, for me, the GAME PLAY it adds is the freedom to explore zones, travelling on my own mount vs a predetermined flight path, and experiencing the elements up within the areas of the skybox, such as the Dungeon and Raid both located in Uldum. Flying allows me to use more than 60 flying mounts, all of which were earned after endlessly grinding heroics, and raids, and experiencing other game content. Without flight, my GAME PLAY experience would diminish, as for me personally, my GAME PLAY experience is enhanced by the convenience and the thrill of flying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bacon, the "freedom to explore zones" you speak of is NOT the problem with flying.
    Flying Mount speed is NOT the problem with flying.

The problems with flying that need to be changed are mostly:
    a) making other methods of travel pointless
    b) allowing you cheese content
    c) nail in the coffin for World PvP

You are absolutely entitled to keep your freedom to explore zones and I'd even like flying mounts to be faster than they are.
    But a), b) and c) need to be fixed.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2014-06-19 at 10:44 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post

A) other forms of travel being pointless is simply poor game design by Blizzard. Why not offer rested xp for running on your mount instead of flying?
    B) Which cheesing content are you discussing? If the content is cheesy, it will not be because of travel.
    C) World PVP is non-existent on PVE servers.

Additionally, the horrific imbalance of factions on existing PVP servers is only going to get worse with no flying. The sick part of this is Blizzard stands to make a good deal of money from no flight as the last die hards of the dead factions finally move or pay for a transfer to either a different server or switch factions.

I remember when I was alliance on Tich, I used to spend up to 30 minutes trying to get daily quests from Golden Lotus. When I switched to Horde I would leave my computer for five or ten minutes without anyone touching me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Bacon, the "freedom to explore zones" you speak of is NOT the problem with flying.
    Flying Mount speed is NOT the problem with flying.

You are absolutely entitled to keep your freedom to explore zones and I'd even like flying mounts to be faster than they are.
    But a), b) and c) need to be fixed.
    Other methods of travel ARE pointless. No one will fight a ground war if they have bombers in the sky. People need to get over the notion of making ground mounts viable again. They've not been effective since 2006. You people really need to move past that. As for "cheesing content" (whatever the fuck that means), the only content I am flying over is OLD content which I have already experienced on my way, AT LEVEL CAP, to go do something else. Something I want to do. Like explore, look for rares, collect battle pets, hop from daily hub to daily hub, pet battle trainers, fishing spots, gather ore/herbs, and more. As for C, that one you are DEAD WRONG about.

I will only explain this once, so read very carefully. INSTANCE QUEUES killed world PvP. When you could sit in a city and queue for raids, dungeons, battlegrounds, and arenas, people STOPPED going out in the world for anything other than quests, battle pets, farming, or achievements. PvP servers are WAY lopsided. World PvP =/= 25,541 Horde : 37 Alliance. When the horde can LOG OUT in Stormwind because everything is DEAD, PvP is broken. Plain and simple. When people were forced out of the city, to the ENTRANCES for Raids, Dungeons, Battlegrounds, and Arenas, it was so much easier to sit outside the instance with a hunting party and MOW THEM DOWN as they came out of the instance. The minute you could just sit in the AH and shop while queuing for an instance that you TELEPORT to, World PvP DIED.

Flying has NO negative aspects, other than making ground mounts worthless. Flying did NOT kill World PvP, and the world was completely redesigned 4 years ago to EXTEND flying into almost every zone in the game. If flying was hated SO much, THAT never would have happened. So tell yourself whatever it is you need to tell yourself to help this anti-flying campaign of yours, but those are the pure and simple facts.

Now, do I think flying should be more on par with ground mounts? Yes. Have I suggested 20 different fixes to Blizz in a calm and efficient manner a year ago on the main site? Yes. Was the thread deleted? Yes. Why? Because they would rather remove it now that GC is gone and cannot lobby to keep it. But, as I have said many times before, and you KNOW, in your heart of hearts, on some deep primal level, that I am right, when I say that no flying at lvl 100 will cause unrest among the casuals, and no flight in 6.1 will create a MAJOR issue. Flying will be added back by 6.1, I have NO doubt in my mind.

I thought it was quite balanced.

This screams bias. You're just painting a negative image to whoever you send this too right from the start. Not everyone thinks the removal of flying is bad.

A) other forms of travel being pointless is simply poor game design by Blizzard. Why not offer rested xp for running on your mount instead of flying?
    B) Which cheesing content are you discussing? If the content is cheesy, it will not be because of travel.
    C) World PVP is non-existent on PVE servers.

Additionally, the horrific imbalance of factions on existing PVP servers is only going to get worse with no flying. The sick part of this is Blizzard stands to make a good deal of money from no flight as the last die hards of the dead factions finally move or pay for a transfer to either a different server or switch factions.

I remember when I was alliance on Tich, I used to spend up to 30 minutes trying to get daily quests from Golden Lotus. When I switched to Horde I would leave my computer for five or ten minutes without anyone touching me.
    Good to see you back from "vacation". Some people have been asking if I am you. lol

- - - Updated - - -

This screams bias. You're just painting a negative image to whoever you send this too right from the start. Not everyone thinks the removal of flying is bad.
    Exactly, You, Blizzard, and 15 other people think it is an awesome idea. Maybe, you should roll a character on every realm and share the "good news" with the casuals. I'm sure Blizz is preparing a notice for them as we speak to go on the flight trainer when they all start dinging 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon is the Answer View Post
    Exactly, You, Blizzard, and 15 other people think it is an awesome idea.
    Thank god my side of the argument doesn't need to make up desperate bull shit numbers like yours seem inclined to do over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    I afk flight with flying as it is. I'm not like a lot of the people in this thread who just can't contain my excitement while flying through a barren sky box to some point on the map. I literally tab out and watch a video or something. Thank god soon traveling won't be so trivialized and boring.
    Not much will change for you, now you can afk while on your flight taxi.