I highly doubt they will completely remove flying from the entire expansion, for a few reasons. First, there would be a huge backlash that would result in a lot of lost subs. And we're talking about more than just a few. A storm of protest hit the forums when they announced that flying wouldn't be instantly available at max level already. Secondly, they continue to design and sell flying mounts through the blizzard store. Not only would restricting people to the ground indefinitely be a slap in the face to those who purchased the mounts they already have, sales would drop to 0 on future purchases and new flying mounts would be far less likely to sell. I don't believe they will take the huge financial losses that would come from those two things. And I think I'd probably stop playing if they indefinitely took flying out, not because I need flying so much, but more because I would consider it a complete middle finger as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Zell the Malefic View Post
    I quoted what Afriasabi actually said about it earlier; he implies that it's possible there will be no flying at all.
    That quote is still somewhat out of context. It is quite a stretch to say there won't be flying mounts at all... all he's saying is he thinks people will will be ok with not flying at the start of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Creations View Post
    I wont be missing you.
    I don't know who you are so I guess I won't be missing you too.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    3) Everyone will just be sat in cities all day waiting for dungeon queues. When they need to go somewhere they'll just use a flight-path and then alt-tab to Facebook or something while they're flying. Isn't this what everyone does now anyway? The furthest I ever fly myself is from one side of Stormwind to the other.

I don't. I fly around all the time, doing all kinds of different things, as I explained above. I use flying and city portals multiple times per day when I log in. This change wouldn't punish anyone except players like me who love traveling and exploring. ... when it'd supposedly advocate traveling and exploring. Would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I don't. I fly around all the time, doing all kinds of different things, as I explained above. I use flying and city portals multiple times per day when I log in. This change wouldn't punish anyone except players like me who love traveling and exploring. ... when it'd supposedly advocate traveling and exploring. Would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.
    If you wanted to explore Europe would a choose a plane or something on ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Near the end of the interview they hint at no flying throughout the entire xpac.
    He didn't hint at anything. He stated directly and clearly: no flying, at least in 6.0 ("at ship", as he put it).

Whether that remains true throughout the expansion is another matter.

I decided months ago not to pre-order WoD and wait and see how it turns out on live before deciding whether or not to get it. At this point, I'm buying stocks in popcorn and waiting to watch the rage threads pop up when shit drops and the masses find out how much is being taken away from the game.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    so guys gogo buy all these mounts from shop before they get useless!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensui06 View Post
    Well i feel bad for people on PVP realms who are on a faction heavily out numbered. Have fun being dead more then half the time you are in the world being camped by 4+ of the other side. Thats the big down side i see to no flying which is why i relocated my Alliance when a free transfer came around as the faction balanced of around 70% horde to Alliance with only like 5% of the alliance ever stepping foot outside shrine or SW was not gonna be fun at all come WoD. Sadly my Horde on that server will hardly run into anyone or when i do they will already be fighting a few horde. Lets be honest the vast majority of PVP realms have a major faction imbalance these days and that is the issue i had with it.

Getting around and gathering speed to me i could care less about as i dealt with it in the old days so i can deal with it now. However back then on my server and many others factions were not as imbalanced as they are now. All that being said tho i think they still plan to do no flying in current content which would mean til the first major patch no flying in the zones we get with launch.
    PvE players ran horde for racials causing half or most of the imbalancing issues, hopefully with the alliances new racials more people will faction change to allies, maybe illidan and darkspear servers will rebalance.
    I already use my ground mounts more then flying. I use the flying to go from say durotar to tanaris, then I run around on my ground mount because im cheap and dont like paying the little fee, yeah it's a few silver n copper but my lowbies need all they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    This is my feeling when "Have Group Will Travel" was removed because nobody was out in the world anymore. In reality, it had the opposite effect. You could easily get guild mates to hep with quests or help with old raids/dungeons if you could summon them there. If they have to fly all the way to Tempest Keep as an example, most people just can't be arsed to help out anymore.

OMG YES!

You have no idea how often we used "Have Group, Will Travel" for roleplaying reasons. We did lots of gnome expeditions back then with a lovely group of gnome roleplayers, and many of the characters were very low level. We used this feature to port them to all kinds of roleplaying locations and had an absurd amount of fun.

Aside from roleplaying, I also used this feature a lot when running old dungeons or raids with friends or strangers. "Hey, wanna do Ulduar, I'll summon you and your 2 buddies" is a lot more appealing to most people then "Hey, wanna do Malygos? Oh yeah, you'll have to either hop on the ship to Borean Tundra and then flightpath, or pay a mage for a portal to Dalaran and then flightpath."

Not to mention just the random fun of being somewhere out in the world and telling my friend on skype "Hey, this place is really cool, I've never paid attention to it before ... wanna check it out?" and then summoning him to where I was.

... all of that is gone now, in order to "bring the players out into the world". It did the exact fucking opposite.

sounds like it could be really good. they admitted that flying was a mistake

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind as long as we can still use the flying mounts as ground mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Implying that using a flying mount is like riding a plane from A to B? What a lame argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Near the end of the interview they hint at no flying throughout the entire xpac.
    That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    That analogy doesn't make sense and you know it. Respond to the arguments I've made in this thread. Do you currently fly around Azeroth, roleplaying, questing, pet battling, exploring? Cause I do, daily. I was hindered a lot by the removal of city portals and "Have Group, Will Travel" in Cata. Very glad that city ports are back at least. Most players who complained about those 2 features (and flying) are hypocrites who never travel and explore anyways. Again, as others have said: if you love traveling by ground so much, you can already do that now. (I do that a lot too, btw, especially when roleplaying of course.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    This is going to be up there with the STAR WARS NGE. As an avid gamer of 25+ years I hope that this is not true.
    25+ years of mario, farmville, and hello kitty island adventure?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    That quote is still somewhat out of context. It is quite a stretch to say there won't be flying mounts at all... all he's saying is he thinks people will will be ok with not flying at the start of the expansion.
    I wouldn't say the quote is out of context, but I get your point. Afriasabi certainly didn't say anything along the lines of what the OP is (probably inadvertently) suggesting, but he does hint that flying might not be seen if it proves popular. Honestly, however, I just don't think it will. My instinct tells me that even those currently championing the no-fly launch will tire of the inconvenience pretty quickly.

[Coming from someone who spends a lot of time on his ground mount.]

10+ Year Old Account
    Occaisonally, I just ride my flying mount around on the ground around w/e continent for bout 8-12 mins, then i go do something more productive with my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhm... while I fully promote the no flying for the first patch and while leveling, I'd still love to explore Draenor like I explored Outland

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    25+ years of mario, farmville, and hello kitty island adventure?
    Except that's akin to the game that the players who sit around in Org / SW all day and wait for queues to pop, are currently playing. Do you really think that no flying will encourage them to leave the town more often? Why would it?