10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Near the end of the interview they hint at no flying throughout the entire xpac.
    At about 5:50 he states, "At ship" for flying mounts. He doesn't say that we won't have flying at all, just when the expansion ships. Blizzard has already confirmed that we will get flying in 6.1 through some sort of event/quest or whatever.
    "When past and present collide, the fate of all worlds hangs in the balance." -The Prophet Velen

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see a lot of people still replying to the first post. I think perhaps an edit is necessary because the title and OP are very misleading.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    No its not, 'being on a ground mount' has never been an incentive to go do things out in the world. If you are going to blame flying mounts, actually back it up with some reasoning.
    I didn't say it was. You're pretty bad at logic. No offence.

I wrote that the incentives to play the game for the experience, and not for the goals, aren't really there any more. Flying mounts have removed some of these incentives. But that isn't to say that ground mounts were an incentive.

More specifically, I mean this: flying mounts encourage efficient gameplay at the cost of immersion - they encourage the player to focus more on the goal, and less on the process of getting to that goal. By this mechanism, an incentive to play the game for the experience - the process - is diminished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Btw, I agree with you that exploring the world by foot is beautiful as well. Which is why everyone should do it, at the start of the expansion, while leveling. Get to know the continent by foot, and then rise above it and see "a whole new world", see all the places you knew before from a different perspective. Why limit yourself to only one of the two? Or more importantly, why would you want to limit other players to only one of the two?
    It's not just about the initial "exploring the world for the first time". It's about the "living world". The sense of constant danger, exacerbated greatly by PvP servers, obviously. The ability for Blizzard to greatly increase compelling world situations/scenarios without players just flying happily past any time they sense danger, or skipping straight to the end.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with leveling.

There is absolutely no reasons why they should remove flying other than "lol sounds cool", not even for one patch. If they think flying mounts shrinked the world than make them bigger.

We will be running around with drakes, phoenixes, gryphons, wind rider etc but they won't be able to actually use their wings? Let me guess... because of the lightning?

This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    Some of us gather resources to fuel multiple in-guild raid groups. The lack of access to the air means that herbing and mining to the degree required for those raids (not counting outside activities like WoD CMs) becomes an absolute nightmare. I remain hopeful that their supposed crafting overhaul and whatever the Garrisons provide will make this not be as horrible as it looks to be at first glance.

Personally I won't be spending an eternity on gathering professions in the name of immersion. And if I feel like I'm spending too much time running around for materials I'll find something more fun to do with my time.

/been here since vanilla, doesn't miss the days of no flight.

Everyone else will have the same situation farming as you will. I farmed 100% of my mats in MoP without flying because my farmers were sub 90. There is no issue farming without flying. Also they can easily reduce the mats needed for things in WoD if it's going to be that hard to farm. So once again farming is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    And not a single fuck was given.

I would love there to be no flying for many reasons.

1. I love exploring games. in Skyrim I never used the mounts just walked.

2. I would love to see the butt hurt from people this bothers.

**not really many reasons***
    Without mods vanilla skyrim mounts were hardly any better than running so your argument is invalid
    Skyrim also had quick ports to locations once you been to them.

Using skyrim as a comparison to flying vs no flying in wow is just bad
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It really isn't worth repeating, because it's overstated bullshit, and nothing more. What gamer would choose a less efficient choice? What you suggest goes against the core purpose of the game. Might as well not play it.
    Funny other people's feelings on this are BULLSHIT. but yours are not? Well I call bullshit. Your move.

This would only work if FP's take a direct route to your destination and not take a scenic route hitting every other zone THEN hitting your destination.

I get that people want to explore and stuff like that, but exploring gets old on the second or third character. I can get behind leaving flying out until the first patch but no flying at all? Stupid and pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I explained that bountifully before in this very thread, but again:

- Exploring. Finding places where you can not go by foot. There are sooo many beautiful places that my friends and I have found over the years. Did you know that there's this lovely area north east of Moonglade that's just perfect for RP druid meetings?

- Enjoying the flying itself. Flying is one of these ultimate dreams of mankind. When you ask a given number of people what superpower they'd choose if they could have any, usually a majority of them will say "flying". (I personally wouldn't, I think there are far more useful super powers ) Just sitting on your flying mount and soaring above, choosing where to fly independently at any given second, seeing places from above that you've only known from below, in a whole new perspective ... it's magnificent.

Maybe this will explain it better than I can

Btw, I agree with you that exploring the world by foot is beautiful as well. Which is why everyone should do it, at the start of the expansion, while leveling. Get to know the continent by foot, and then rise above it and see "a whole new world", see all the places you knew before from a different perspective. Why limit yourself to only one of the two? Or more importantly, why would you want to limit other players to only one of the two?
    I agree that flying does lend itself to exploration, and it really is different up above. But two points I want to make:

- Seeing the world from above can occur via flightpaths. If flying is restricted, then flightpaths suddenly become interesting (the first couple times only, of course, because then the exploration is done). Don't get me wrong - I don't think flightpaths are anywhere close to as interesting as free flying in terms of exploration, but we also have to consider the cost:

- Free flying shrinks the world. And this is a big cost in a game that depends on providing content in the form of an explorable world. By allowing flying, you cheapen the content. There are other costs involved with flying, but I'm just talking about the comparison to flightpaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    Out of curiosity (it's your business when you unsub and why, after all) why would you have been subbed since BC if you don't like WoW? Because that's what you're getting - more WoW. More raids, more dungeons, more achievements, more pets, more mounts, more quests, more lands to explore, more creatures/players to kill, more characters to meet. That's what WoW is. Why would you possibly suddenly stop liking those things NOW, just because it's a new expansion?
    That's not what happened...it's been a slow process of dissatisfaction w/the direction of the game since Cata. What has kept me in the game has been the raid team that I've been a part of since I started playing. This is the first expansion where I am excited about almost nothing based on the WoD footage we've seen so far. I was beyond unbelievably excited for Cata and especially MoP, since I've been wanting Pandaria/pandaren in game since forever.

Wow just isn't innovating enough. Going back in time and taking things away from players isn't innovation. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed playing SWTOR and especially Rift, which I still play for time to time for the pvp which I enjoy infinitely better than in WoW. When you play other games you really start to see what other games do well and some of their stuff is really very good. I've been also playing ES:O beta and got into a Wildstar beta event and enjoyed both games. Also other single player games coming out now...

There are a few things WoW offers that differentiates it from other MMOs on the market currently. One is the unique starting zones for each race. The other is flying. Arguably a third thing would be competitive PvE but really other MMOs have that too. Garrisons are not innovative if you see how other games handle their player housing.

Flying is like the straw that broke the camel's back, I love exploring Azeroth through flight. I'd love for WoW to incorporate elements from other games like dynamic questing, alternative progression paths at endcap, open world dynamic pvp/bounty systems with sandbox elements etc like Age of Wushu. I'd also like to see world bosses and dynamic zone events in vanilla zones, and a mentor system like in Rift. I don't really see that happening here anytime soon, so why not go play games that offer content that I can get excited about?

*Shrug* willing to see what will happen in beta but right now I'm leaning towards sitting this xpac out. I've been playing this game a long time so it might be time for a break anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranker View Post
    Funny other people's feelings on this are BULLSHIT. but yours are not? Well I call bullshit. Your move.
    See, I gave a reason in my post. What you did was call bullshit, and then provide no reason.

Do you see the difference here?

Please, angry little people, think about the whole picture before you get your knickers in a twist.
    Please, angry little person, don't be derisive to others, it doesn't make your argument any more convincing.

Compelling argument. It's obviously because a few loud, angry people whinged to Blizzard that they're considering it. Ever stopped to think for more than a second that it might actually be WORTHWHILE to have people on the ground for longer? Sure, you won't get your "OMG BITCHES I CAN FLY, SHIT" moment when you ding 100, but think about all the things that can make up for it. Oh, and it's not just so you can take longer to get around, just as a tip.
    Which benefits would I gain from not being able to fly in Draenor, at all, that I wouldn't gain from no flying till 100? Which benefits would I gain that would make up the huge drawbacks of no flying?

I am truly happy for this. Best decision ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really isn't worth repeating, because it's overstated bullshit, and nothing more. What gamer would choose a less efficient choice? What you suggest goes against the core purpose of the game. Might as well not play it.
    Alright, I'll bite. You're saying "What player would choose a less efficient choice?".

If you give people the option to fly on one hand, they say they don't want flying because it ruins immersion, but then they use the flying because it gets them where they want to go faster, they clearly aren't that invested in the notion of not having flying.

The convenience of them having the flying trumps their personal feelings on immersion. So, what's going on here? Are these people asking Blizzard to save them from themselves?

I stand by my statement. If someone is going to push hard for something that has a negative impact on a large number of other players then they'd better stick to their guns and put their money where their mouth is. Demonstrably stop using flying mounts of your own accord or GFTO, I say.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Zell the Malefic View Post
    He starts talking about it at minute six (pretty much on the dot).

Also, the point he makes is this:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    'Is there a world where we have no flying... But people love it?' You know? Like, is that a possibility? I believe it is; I believe it's totally a possibility.
    Take that how you will, but it appears to me that it'll be driven by how players react. I daresay they'll making flying possible in 6.1 if the lack of it is widely enough reviled, but if players in the main don't miss flying then they'll keep it out.

Alas, I worry that a significant sub drop of any kind in 6.0 could prompt the wrong response and we see flying hastily brought back in. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather fly because it seems jarring to be able to fly through Azeroth, Outland, Northrend and Pandaria then... You just can't fly for some reason (which, to me, would be inconvenient).

If the gameplay doesn't suffer because of this, I can support the decision either way. Personally, I'm more worried about profession gathering and, in particular, things like archaeology that ask you to travel a lot. No flying has the potential to be very painful under circumstances such as those.
    This is pretty much spot on, at least as far as I see it. For me, not being able to fly would be fine as long as they are able to somehow not allow that to detract from the gameplay and general "fun"-ness. I worry too, though, about a too-hasty fix in reaction to any sort of major sub loss, and I worry that quite a few will simply feel that something is being stripped away from them without sufficient explanation and leave anyway.

As someone who has gathered for a living for my entire WoW career...well, as you do, so do I have worries about the potential troubles there. I wouldn't sit here and say that no flight, on its own, would make me unsub, but if it affects the overall experience too much or just doesn't feel like it makes sense, it could turn in to a problem.

The timing just seems very odd to me. We've seen the past several years be full of all kinds of new accessibility for all players, and now a major form of travel ease is (seemingly) on the chopping block. Not necessarily a bad thing, but kinda weird.

it was bad enough not being able to fly on Isle of Thunder, Isle of Giants or Timewaste Isle, even worse that you still couldn't/won't be able to fly on them once they're not current content. no flying until 6.1 is an awful idea, no flying at all is a game killer. for flying ability they did it perfectly in WotLK when first character has to get high level (78 if I remember right) but additional characters can fly straight away. that system was perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    I'm laughing at everyone who's saying they're unsubbing just because you won't be able to fly. Kind of hilarious

I personally love the idea of not being able to fly. The world feels so much bigger and scarier while not being able to fly!
    You do more than sit around in Org/IF or the panda city? WoW you must be the minority, because theres so many people there. I'm fine with the change, why? because its just going to make me more lazy and sit in OR/IF, what ever the new city is and use RDF, RF, or ask for a summon.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2014-03-09 at 03:10 AM.

I wrote that the incentives to play the game for the experience, and not for the goals, aren't really there any more. Flying mounts have removed some of these incentives. But that isn't to say that ground mounts were an incentive.

More specifically, I mean this: flying mounts encourage efficient gameplay at the cost of immersion - they encourage the player to focus more on the goal, and less on the process of getting to that goal. By this mechanism, an incentive to play the game for the experience - the process - is diminished.

The only thing flying makes "easier" is that it lets you avoid pointless fights with low level mobs that you accidentally aggro and that dismount you if you pull too many. That's not really making it "easier" though, because fighting these mobs was never hard in the first place, it just makes it less annoying. Being dismounted by a bunch of level 86 hozen while riding through the Jade Forest on my 90 is not my idea of "experience" or "immersion". If anything, it's unimmersive how easily I can fight off those mobs, and flying is actually more realistic in terms of "what would my character do if she was smart".

That's only a really minor benefit of flying though, to me anyways. I want to see the world from above, and explore it that way. That's my immersion right there.

I want to point out for the resource excuse. Garrisons is set to possibly cause new waves in the profession market. As nodes are found in garrisons.