Quote Originally Posted by KWC3587 View Post
    I didn't fly in the faction cities, in fact like most I didn't even go to the faction cities unless I absolutely had to in Wrath. I mostly spent time in Dalaran as I recall, and then I was usually flying around on my mount.
    You couldn't fly in Dalaran during Wrath either.

Incorrect, you could above a certain level and only for a brief time at the beginning of the expansion.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Yes, there is actually. Hex has a cool down and a cast time. A cool down alone doesn't make it hard. The cast time is what makes it hard.
    what? you can knock people off ground mounts with auto attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    What did you do before we could fly in EK/Kalimdor?
    I played in Outland and Northrend 90% of the time since those were current areas during those years.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    What game are you playing again?

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    I'm not surprised. The developer, Arsaffria guy, is a purist from the vanilla / tbc days. It makes sense.
    Hes the furor, he helped make TBC the best expansion ever. I trust his judgement. He is however not very casual friendly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    I played in Outland and Northrend 90% of the time since those were current areas during those years.
    I was referring to TBC when flying first was introduced.

Make some air guard so it's more dangerous to fly.
    That is certainly a solution in some areas; however, the skybox is so huge in some places that there is no way they could populate enough air guards up there without it looking... weird.

They could do weather, which I think they should anyway.

They could also implement more nets and surface-to-air cannons, yet that suffers from the incredibly large skybox issue too.

I think they could do several of those things and make them work, yet be believable - but they'd have to lower the skybox ceiling down to around 20-30 yards - essentially the treetops.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    You couldn't fly in Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor before Cataclysm. So, what did you do during Wrath?
    I kept my butt in Northrend lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Most instanced content IE arena BG Dungeons raids etc.
    You can still summon flying mounts in all those instances - they are still just as effective as ground-only mounts - just limited to ground movement.

Another example please.

You can still summon flying mounts in all those instances - they are still just as effective as ground-only mounts - just limited to ground movement.

Another example please.
    Damn you must have a different game client then me because I wish I could use my mounts in dungeons and raids, you still need more examples?

Another example please.
    Not all flying mounts can be used in instances. Most are disabled for use in instances where you can use ground mounts.

That is certainly a solution in some areas; however, the skybox is so huge in some places that there is no way they could populate enough air guards up there without it looking... weird.

They could do weather, which I think they should anyway.

They could also implement more nets and surface-to-air cannons, yet that suffers from the incredibly large skybox issue too.

I think they could do several of those things and make them work, yet be believable - but they'd have to lower the skybox ceiling down to around 20-30 yards - essentially the treetops.
    You could make roaming elites that fly around and dismount you. It wouldn't be instant and maybe you could fly to your location without getting dismounted but the danger is still there and once you aggro its game over.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyrey
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim
    He is the NPC, obviously! A murloc in Elwynn.... no, something else? Quick, its a rare chance to interview him!

damn, isn't there a chance to daze/dismount players with your attacks? anyway, since you used shammie as an example, use frost shock to slow them down.

Damn you must have a different game client then me because I wish I could use my mounts in dungeons and raids, you still need more examples?
    I said that wherever you can use a ground mount, you can use the flying mount instead.

Flying mounts are equal or better than ground mounts in all situations. You cannot point to any instance where a ground mount is better than a flying mount because flying mounts completely replace ground mounts.

Once you train epic flying, you could delete (if it were possible) all your ground-only mounts from your mount pane and replace them with a single flying mount.

All I am saying is that flying mounts need to get some trade-off imposed on them so that you, as the player, made a conscious decision on which mount was better to use for the current situation as opposed to how it is now where you just hotkey your favorite flying mount and your good to go - regardless if you are outdoors, in a city, in a dungeon, in a raid, or in a BG.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all flying mounts can be used in instances. Most are disabled for use in instances where you can use ground mounts.
    Most are not disabled. There might be a few, but most (at least of mine) work. I use GoGoMount with a favorites random summon list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Phasing or not, if they use a progressive story in any zone - just flying in without starting, or knowing to start, at the first quest will result in what seems like a broken area.

Phasing doesn't really matter in this issue.

From a storytelling perspective - you can't control the character's point of entry to the story's domain when they can fly in from any direction. Now obviously, if you don't care about the story then this has no hook for you. At that point, we might has well revert WoW to EQ1 and let people just camp mob spawns for hours on end. Millions would probably quit as a result though. EQ1 peaked at 450,000 subs.
    If you want a linear storytelling game, don't play an MMO. It's pretty much that simple. There are a hundred games that cover fantasy in a linear-story-based fashion much better than WoW.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

damn, isn't there a chance to daze/dismount players with your attacks? anyway, since you used shammie as an example, use frost shock to slow them down.
    Space bar and tank the snare until you get out of range.

/point and /laugh if you are a druid

Everything you have said is now invalid. I can't even remember what your arguments were because of "auto-attacks cause daze."

Deleted
    why are people so happy for the no flying zones? Considering I see around 95% of most server players using them? Flying is 'OPTIONAL' if people do not want to fly they do not have too. If you so badly wish to abolish flying but cannot resist using your flying mounts then that's your problem. 'IMMERSION IS SUBJECTIVE' believe it or not alot of people think flying is integral to their own immersion.

So why moan about flying when you have the option of not using those mounts? All it takes is abit of self control to 'enjoy your immersion'.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If you want a linear storytelling game, don't play an MMO. It's pretty much that simple. There are a hundred games that cover fantasy in a linear-story-based fashion much better than WoW.
    ... yet the last two WoW expansions have been almost completely linear-story-based expansions.

Good call.