The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Going to open up a bunch of ganking opportunities. I hope they add the Censer of Eternal Agony in WoD.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    SNIP.....

I had that exact same experience on the boat entering Howling Fjord. And again on an autopiloted aircraft in the same zone. And even way back in TBC, on the FP that took me across Hellfire to the faction base for the first time.

In fact riding through Zangarmarsh for the first time felt more amazing than it ever did from the air. Like many zones, it's designed to be seen from the ground.

So I call bullshit.
    Then I would suggest we leave in both options and hit to larger part of the player base. Removing flying will alienate players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Flying is not the main reason people aren't helping each other. The main reason people aren't helping each other is because it's actively disencouraged by the game. WoW's tagging system is terrible, outdated, and leads to egoistic gameplay.

If people got XP and loot whenever they helped someone kill something, everybody would help each other out and kill stuff together. Just like it works when you're in a party, except you wouldn't need to be in a party.

So why not start with that, and instead attack flying? People still won't help each other even if they can't fly, they never did that, because they won't get contribution.
    Thank you. People don't help each other because there's no incentive to help each other, and you only get to play together if you specifically group up together. Certainly Blizzard is learning what with the design of the Celestials and TI rare elites, but they're really not learning fast enough. For a game that emphasizes cooperation, it is far too competitive.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Thank you. People don't help each other because there's no incentive to help each other, and you only get to play together if you specifically group up together. Certainly Blizzard is learning what with the design of the Celestials and TI rare elites, but they're really not learning fast enough. For a game that emphasizes cooperation, it is far too competitive.

Yeah. I know that this is the problem, because in GW2 everyone can tag anything and get contribution (for events, for loot, for xp), and people are practically falling over each other to help. You see a random player struggling with a mob, of course you're gonna help out!

In GW2, rezzing other people also grants you XP (and can be done by any class), so this is also something everyone does. A dead player never has to lie around dead for long.

It's long overdue that WoW implements a system like that. I was really hoping it'd come with WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    So every established part of the game is a good one? I'm sure anyone would say otherwise.
    Not necessarily. But flying is a part of the game that has been around for 7+ years, is hugely popular and is a huge quality of life improvement for players. So yeah, no flying is a big deal.

The best analogy I can think of is a food one.

Imagine going to the deli that you've got lunch at for years, but starting today, they are no longer putting your favorite toppings on the sandwich you've ordered for 7 years because of reasons.

Oh and the price of the sandwich is going up 20%.

Also, they changed the line - its longer now and snakes through the store because they want you to enjoy the new paint and art in the store in the way they intended while you order and pick up your sandwich. They figure it will take a few extra minutes for you to walk around back to the cash register, but that's how they redesigned the flow of the store. No shortcuts or skipping anything.

They figure they will give the customers a few months to see if they like this new arrangement because there is no way to predict if they will or will not. /sarcasm

Yeah. I know that this is the problem, because in GW2 everyone can tag anything and get contribution (for events, for loot, for xp), and people are practically falling over each other to help. You see a random player struggling with a mob, of course you're gonna help out! In GW2, rezzing other people also grants you XP (and can be done by any class), so this is also something everyone does. A dead player never has to lie around dead for long.
    One of the reasons we never helped with MOP rares, they tag and then yell for help, we come there and help, they loot, laugh at us and fly away. The GW2 system sounds a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Before they had a set time when flying will be back in. They said it will be back in 6.1 and will probably involve an epic quest. NOW they claim they don't know when it will be in. They are clear with their intent to remove flying from WoD. Why else would they defend that stance with that post?
    Speculation.

Next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Then I would suggest we leave in both options and hit to larger part of the player base. Removing flying will alienate players.
    Blizzard is designing this content with being on the ground in mind so this is not an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    then it's very clear you haven't been reading this thread for very long.

Hell, just your helicopter problem has been addressed multiple times with various ways to limit it and not just use of caves and buildings.

I'll recap a few examples.

Spiders/mobs in trees or towers that only aggro upwards with the ability to pull targets and dismount them. You cannot pull them from the ground unless you do so on your own as they only look upwards.

Quest mobs that can pull or dismount players flying with extended range, yet not enough range that if you want to simply fly past them and have no interest in them, you can do so.

Quest completion mobs/tokens or events that do not just stand or are placed in open world around. Certain things have to be done before they appear.

Those are just off the top of my head to hinder your helicopter problem.

There have been multiple solutions and ways to keep flying in game and balance it a little better with ground running. Too bad blizzard isn't as good at brainstorming as MMO-C posters.

It's also quite clear that Blizz don't want to have to consider putting in counter measures against flying in every open world quest they do. It'd be work they'd have to do that does not contribute to the questing experience and hence reduces the amount of content they can put out (or would delay WoD even more...) and feels utterly contrived.

Flight may have been around for a long time but there are no game mechanics associated with it and it's very rare that Blizz included it in any meaningful game play that couldn't have been done another way (mostly gating content in a trivial fashion). I think you'd be fairer if you claimed that Blizzard have been lazy in developing content for flight - far more applicable. Most content they've added that involves flight involves you on their special mounts rather than free flight on your mount. Most of the remaining content you have to do on your own mount could be done with special mounts. It's as if they struggled to find a use for flight beyond sightseeing and skipping content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Flying is not the main reason people aren't helping each other. The main reason people aren't helping each other is because it's actively disencouraged by the game. WoW's tagging system is terrible, outdated, and leads to egoistic gameplay.

If people got XP and loot whenever they helped someone kill something, everybody would help each other out and kill stuff together. Just like it works when you're in a party, except you wouldn't need to be in a party.

So why not start with that, and instead attack flying? People still won't help each other even if they can't fly, they never did that, because they won't get contribution.
    This. Pretty much every single thing people avoid by using flight is a fscked up Blizsign where it's an absolute waste of time to do X so we just skip it.
    However, fixing broken features and actually performing design and storytelling worth the name is incomparably more challenging and costly than banning flight or paid boosts - the latter are much more realistic for current Bliz dev team and the money any sane investor could ever want to spend on them.
    Last edited by mmoc3514689de5; 2014-04-30 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's not that there's no flying, it's that they're taking flying away. an established part of the game, with a multitude of mounts dedicated solely to flying, all being anally raped by *expletive starting with a C* who want a game back they probably never played.
    No mounts are solely flying though. Nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    No mounts are solely flying though. Nice try.
    Ashe would like to speak with you! I cannot use it in ground mount only places :P

You can use it on the ground in WoD, it will just look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    You can use it on the ground in WoD, it will just look stupid.
    that is true :P I was just pointing out some mounts were never designed to work on the ground. Ashes* that is :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    that is true :P I was just pointing out some mounts were never designed to work on the ground. Ashes* that is :P
    This one is made exponentially worse because it is THE staple mount from TBC. When you think of TBC and you think of mounts you conjure up one of two things: either Ashes or Netherwing.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    This one is made exponentially worse because it is THE staple mount from TBC. When you think of TBC and you think of mounts you conjure up one of two things: either Ashes or Netherwing.
    Uh...
    Midnight, Nether Ray, Horseman's Reins, and Roflcopters all come to my mind before Ashes. But that's probably just me.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Uh...
    Midnight, Nether Ray, Horseman's Reins, and Roflcopters all come to my mind before Ashes. But that's probably just me.
    I thought roflcopters were wrath or has my mind finally been lost?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=34061
    Added 2.3

15+ Year Old Account
    Motorcycles got added in wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Motorcycles got added in wrath.
    Ah it was the choppers wasnt it. Sorry got mixed up. Yeh the stupid Wrath bikes, rofl copters were TBC! Yep Mind was lost :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If there is no flight until 6.1, or after, it will be a big deal for some players. The pro-ground crowd needs to understand how the pro-flight crowd feels. Imagine the roles were reversed and you just found out the next expansion took place high in the clouds ABOVE Azeroth, and ground mounts were being given flying abilities. Seeing both sides of the coin is important, I get that now, but really makes no difference since I no longer have an axe to grind. So, I wish you all good luck in 6.X. From the looks of it, you are going to need it.

*Edited to express the ultimate opinion and get the thread back on topic.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 2014-05-05 at 02:57 PM.