10+ Year Old Account

Can't delete everything in Windows 8.1 readying PC for sale.

Hello all.

Trying to erase my PC ready to be sold on. But for some reason I can't do the usual "delete everything" option from the PC settings. It asks for the install disk, to which when I put in my Windows 8 disk it says it's not accepted (perhaps due to me getting the 8.1 update free, in turn has caused the original windows 8 disk to no longer be classed as the install disc?)

So i though I'd instead try just inserting the disc and do a reinstall of Windows 8 to clear things that way... that way comes up with "failed to install windows"so still no good!

Basically, what do I do? I want it completely wiped... leading to only thing on the SSD as windows only.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Make a pot of coffee and go to town on every single file and start wiping drives after that.

Honestly idk even googling "why isn't that a word yet?" it it says you need the 8.1 install disk/thumb drive. Cold try getting a third party program and doing that.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Insert the Win8 DVD into the drive, and boot from it. Once into the install environment, and the option comes up to do "Custom Install" or "Standard Install", choose Custom. Select the partitions on the main drive, and delete them all. Then click on "Create New". It will pop up and say its going to do multi partitions, let it do it, and proceed with the install. Once all done, install your drivers for chipset, audio, vid, and LAN. final step is to activate Windows and create a backup of the install, burn it to DVD, and create a recovery CD. You now have a totally clean windows install, with recovery options to offer to the buyer.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Says Windows cannot install required files, the file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure that all files required for installation are available and restart the installation...
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check to make sure Secure Boot is turned off in BIOS
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Where would I be finding that? Mobo type is in my signature

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    Says Windows cannot install required files, the file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure that all files required for installation are available and restart the installation...
    Installing from the DVD yields that message? Or is it a USB stick? If its the latter, re-download the USB installer from the Microsoft Store. In the initial release, some "ISO's" were corrupted. Mine was at first, a re-download / USB creation solved that issue.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna have to get hold of a USB stick then it seems as I don't have one And yes Ben, that applied to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna have to get hold of a USB stick then it seems as I don't have one And yes Ben, that applied to me!
    Do it the easy way, boot into windows, hold shift and press restart with mouse, then you get booted into advanced setup, there should be a 'reset/refresh PC', do reset and it will restore 'factory' settings aka deleting everything and leave clean windows (you can't format w8), if you don't want the new user to have your Win8 copy, get a USB stick and use something like Hirens Boot CD to boot into mini windows, then format the HDD from there.
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't even boot into windows now. Not only that but the error messages won't let me do all that when I could.
    Just wondering rather than me getting hold of a usb stick, would I instead be able to use win 8.1 disc that came with my laptop?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    would I instead be able to use win 8.1 disc that came with my laptop?
    That depends.. is the laptop the same brand (manuf) as your desktop? Or if it's a direct from microsoft (not branded) dvd then it might work.