Poll: Is the level 90 boost pay to win?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    After having boosted my char from 66 to 90 with the pre-order bonus I can't really say I feel like I'm at an advantage. Like, there's no real difference between an ilvl 430 geared player in BGs or a 483 green geared player. You'll do shit damage anyways.

...... Go play Neverwinter where you can literally buy your way to anything then te me 90 boost is pay to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a multiplayer co-operative game, how does an individual win?

Regardless of that. People are using, and will continue to use the boost in the same way everyone uses alts; to add a new way of experiencing the game, be it in a different role, using different class mechanics, or on a different faction. To join a different group from their usual raid team, so they can play with friends when they get their alts together for an alt run. Having an alt increases your options within the game, having more people with more alts gives everyone more options, which in turn gives everyone more to do.

For the returning player, just as Scroll of Resurrection provided, it allows them to get back together with their existing social groups and play with them. The major difference is that they can go ahead and get this off their own back without reliance on someone in game thinking to send them an invite.

I see a lot of the "It takes 3 days to level an alt to 90" stuff; which is fine if you neither have a job/school, nor commitments on your existing characters to fulfill in your regular game time, otherwise you're looking at a couple of hours a night tops to work on it, which translates to nearer a month, maybe more, at which point is seems far more daunting a task to start on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    At the rate that LFR progress is going with these influx of fresh 90s, nobody's winning anything.
    Guess those people should be flexing with friends and guildies rather than strangers. When you swim in a community pool, you have to put up with other people's kids. When you swim in your own backyard, it is much more enjoyable.

not even Close to pay to win.
    Pay to win is when you pay and get an Advantage over other Players that you could not get without paying.
    For example getting a Piece of gear that is only available for boostet chars.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Let's be honest now, a major argument people had against it being pay to win was that it did not boost you to max level. Now it does. Since level 90 is maximum level now until WoD comes quite a few months from now, level 90 is end level. The gear you get is enough to get you into LFR, and that is, in my opinion, pay to win. But what is your opinion? Note that I don't care why you think my opinion is wrong, since it's my opinion, it's right for me and that's what matters, I do however care about your opinion on the matter.

I understand your point of view but I'd still have to say no to this. These people have definitely payed....but there sure as hell not winning.

If you thought LFR was bad before go and give it a shot now Raid full of people except for like 2-3 that have no clue at all what their doing.

Deleted
    I've seen more players dying on Timeless than usual since the boost came.

So, they don't exactly seem to be winning.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    not even Close to pay to win.
    Pay to win is when you pay and get an Advantage over other Players that you could not get without paying.
    For example getting a Piece of gear that is only available for boostet chars.
    So you're fine with heroic gear being sold then? I mean you can always go raid heroic SoO if you don't want to pay right?

stupid thread is stupid.
    If my 90 came with ilvl 580 gear then.....maybe. But it would be outdated in a few months anyway with WoD

Quote Originally Posted by Reyalz2 View Post
    stupid thread is stupid.
    If my 90 came with ilvl 580 gear then.....maybe. But it would be outdated in a few months anyway with WoD
    Player A installs World of Warcraft and upgrades to the battle chest. After spending a week's worth of play time, he gets to level 85, buys MoP, and then spends another week of play time getting to level 90.

Player B installs World of Warcraft and upgrades all the way to MoP. After spending $60 on a character boost, he gets to level 90 and spends those two weeks of time player A spent, doing something completely different than leveling a character.

That's why it's pay to win. Wow is a game about character progression. Time spent = progression. You can now buy progression, negating the need to spend time doing it. The character boost is P2W and offering it with the Expac makes it P2W. It's one of those thing that should never have been added to the game.

Deleted
    Yes.

You win a lot of time, which is one of the few deciding factors in MMORPGs, and thus can be considered "pay2win".

If they'd sell a full LFR set for $60, it would be the same thing. "It's not pay2win, you could obtain the same thing yourself in a few weeks", some might say. However, you gain a serious time-advantage over people who choose to not buy it.

All in all this is a stupid discussion about semantics. There's no real "winning" in MMOs. "pay2get a non-trivial advantage over people who choose not to pay" defines the issue a bit better, but it doesn't sound as good as "pay2win".
    Last edited by mmoc37cfb5e035; 2014-03-12 at 09:12 PM.

Doesn't matter if it is or it isn't, the fact that we're having these kinds of conversations implies that something is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frymastermeat View Post
    Doesn't matter if it is or it isn't, the fact that we're having these kinds of conversations implies that something is wrong.
    The fact that we are having this conversation means a small sampling of players all have subjective and differing opinions and like to skew the definition of "win" to meet their needs.

People only ever bring up P2W when they themselves have some personal perspective on it. If they knew the LITERAL definition of "win" threads like this would not exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could get 50 level 90's and you still wouldn't have shit compared to any one of my characters.

I actually encourage the level 90 boosts so when you come to the TI to get your gear I can farm the shit out of you for bloody coins.

What is agitating is that Blizzard is selling a way to skip content that is boring instead of making said content interesting. That is definitely not good design, no matter what way you try to look at it.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2014-03-12 at 09:19 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Yes

Simple situation : a moron with 10 lvl more than me is camping me during leveling. Spend 60$, go back to the place and farm him. It's a bit grotesque but it's pay to win.

But the simple fact that it saves you a lot of time is enough. Because while another person would be in the process of leveling his toon, you would already be farming LFR, gold, reputations ...

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    What is agitating is that Blizzard is selling a way to skip content that is boring instead of making said content interesting. That is definitely not good design, no matter what way you try to look at it.
    I think the same. When something is considered "boring" change it and make it interesting instead of selling a way to skip it.

But well ... it's not the best idea if you want to make easy money on morons ...
    Last edited by mmocb1939ccd9e; 2014-03-12 at 09:23 PM.

As far as I'm concerned, until you can buy top end gear, it's not pay to win by any stretch.