Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I think it was a disservice to be introducing Shang Chi in his own movie without having seeded anything in any prior media. Disney+ has been seeding new characters left right and center. Black Widow even opens up some tie ins with future characters and teams we might see. But Shang Chi? No one knows or cares who is, and it's gonna be a Captain Marvel situation all over again.
    No one knew or cared who the Guardians of The Galaxy were before their movie either... Seemed to work out ok.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was a disservice to be introducing Shang Chi in his own movie without having seeded anything in any prior media. Disney+ has been seeding new characters left right and center. Black Widow even opens up some tie ins with future characters and teams we might see. But Shang Chi? No one knows or cares who is, and it's gonna be a Captain Marvel situation all over again.
    No one knew or cared who the Guardians of The Galaxy were before their movie either... Seemed to work out ok.

Captain Marvel went $1Billion+ at the Box Office...so I don't think Disney would cry too much if they had another "Captain Marvel situation"

Hell, before the MCU...even Iron Man was a B-List Marvel Character. The only reason the MCU started with him is because Marvel had sold off the film rights to all the more popular characters.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-08-18 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think you're ignoring a big part of the tv side of marvels inclusion.
    ike perlmutter and kevin fiege fucking hate eachother
    The point is about the TV characters coming onto the MCU, except for Iron Fist, which performed poorly and was not well received. I was simply making an example of how they are seemingly brushing Iron Fist under the rug while the others are coming into the MCU.

The Perlmutter/Feige thing has nothing to do with my point, since I'm talking about the MCU under Feige and which properties are being brought in, and which ones seeming are not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    GotG didn't have controversy surrounding it overseas, and did pretty well in China, where the big box office numbers generallly came from.

Shang Chi is being touted as a great movie in initial reviews, and I'm hoping it can carry that energy well into release. But there is a lot if skepticism overseas, and qe still have the whole covid situation that has fans (like myself) still hesitant heading out to theatres.

GotG didn't have any of these challenges in the way, and word of mouth spread fast in its favour. Hopefully same can happen with Shang Chi.

Captain Marvel went $1Billion+ at the Box Office...so I don't think Disney would cry too much if they had another "Captain Marvel situation"
    Rise of Skywalker made a billion at box office too.

Doesn't mean it was universally praised as a good movie with characters set up for the future of Star Wars. The actors don't even want anything to do with any further movies or shows.

Captain Marvel _as a character_ had barely any significant role or screentime in End Game. I'm not quite sure what the actually intended for her character when they seemed to hype her up with a whole post credit scene in Infinity War and have her own movie in Captain Marvel, only to have a pretty minor role overall at the beginning and the end of End Game. Granted she's OP as fuck, but as I said, _as a character_ she took a backseat in the series, rather than be a major focal point like we see for many other major characters.

I simply don't want to see that happen to Shang Chi if it so happened to not perform well in the box office, or gets wrapped up in some sort of overseas controversy that makes the character unpopular somehow. And yes, many criticisms are well vocalized over the main character from China, which *can potentially* have an affect on interest and the box office results (beyond Covid concerns).

Perhaps a better character to compare to is Finn from Star Wars, who was not well received as a main character overseas, and it ended up getting less and less scenes written for him in subsequent sequels.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-08-18 at 07:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

GotG didn't have controversy surrounding it overseas, and did pretty well in China, where the big box office numbers generallly came from.
    China has a large market...but the theater/studio split isn't nearly as good. The Studios make the most money from the Domestic Box Office.

Shang Chi is being touted as a great movie in initial reviews, and I'm hoping it can carry that energy well into release. But there is a lot if skepticism overseas, and qe still have the whole covid situation that has fans (like myself) still hesitant heading out to theatres.
    Sure, Covid is a situation...but theaters are already starting to fill up. I went to see The Suicide Squad tonight...and the theater wasn't packed...but it was pretty busy considering it's already into it's second week.

GotG didn't have any of these challenges in the way, and word of mouth spread fast in its favour. Hopefully same can happen with Shang Chi.
    I'm just saying that him being relatively unknown isn't going to be the thing that causes Shang-Chi to fail. It's a MCU film. People will go see it just because of that.

Rise of Skywalker made a billion at box office too.
    Yeah, which means from a financial perspective, RoS was a success. It made them way more money than it cost them to make. And Captain Marvel, "a character nobody knew or cared about" did about as well as a fricken STAR WARS film. Kinda proves my point. Again, I don't think Disney would be crying too much if Shang Chi is another "Captain Marvel Situation"

Besides, CM was received much better than RoS.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-08-18 at 07:16 AM.

China has a large market...but the theater/studio split isn't nearly as good. The Studios make the most money from the Domestic Box Office.
    Sure, but China comes in second and is far beyond any other single country in the international market. For all MCU movies.

Sure, Covid is a situation...but theaters are already starting to fill up. I went to see The Suicide Squad tonight...and the theater wasn't packed...but it was pretty busy considering it's already into it's second week.
    It's dropping off pretty fast in its second week unfortunately, so it's making the brunt of its money off the first week sales while trickling in the second week. Not sure how video-on-demand factors into all of this though, so I can't say too much about whether the big wigs consider this successful or not, in terms of box office. Too early to tell I think.

I'm just saying that him being relatively unknown isn't going to be the thing that causes Shang-Chi to fail. It's a MCU film. People will go see it just because of that.
    Yes being unknown is not a big concern, but it is still a concern. I am hyped on this movie, I have read it's a good movie, and I'm hopeful for its success. As for the MCU fans around me who are interested in this film? Probably one, and it's the one guy in our group who watches any/all Comic Book movies regardless of quality or content. Not many people I know personally have this movie in their radar, and I think it will take a lot of word-of-mouth to really get things in gear for this movie.

Again, I have my skepticisms, because really we're jumping into new territory with the MCU with Phase 4. Shang Chi hasn't built on hype from being at the end credits of Infinity War or End Game, if you get what I mean. It's on its own.

Again, I'm not doomsaying, I'm simply expressing concern. I really shouldn't have to be scrutinized for expressing concern and have to be met with 'It's an MCU movie, it'll do fine, don't worry', because so was Black Widow and it didn't exactly hit MCU benchmark numbers (though Disney+ certainly muddles the box office numbers).

Yeah, which means from a financial perspective, RoS was a success. It made them way more money than it cost them to make. And Captain Marvel, "a character nobody knew or cared about" did about as well as a fricken STAR WARS film. Kinda proves my point.
    And none of those Star Wars actors will reprise their roles for future titles, which proves my point.

My concern isn't how much money the studio will make, it's what lies in the future of the characters. I've expressed this multiple times.

Of course, I don't think Shang Chi will literally be a Rise of Skywalker situation at all. I think it's actually a solid movie that just needs to get some hype built up for it, so it's actually in the complete opposite situation; a diamond in the rough that hasn't been seen beyond being a 'lump of coal'. I'm just pointing out that just because a movie makes a ton of money doesn't mean the future of the characters and story are totally fine, and financial success is not the only means of measurement I'm using to gauge the future of this character. It's still too early to tell how the public at large will accept Shang Chi as a headliner for Phase 4 MCU. I'm totally ready to accept him in the ranks, and again, I'm simply expressing concern for whether the rest of the fans around the world will share in the hype, or find reason to doom it into obscurity, like the Solo movie (which wasn't a bad movie, but got wrapped up in controversy)

I will say that the premiere happening and the hype from all sources is easing some of the concerns I had when I originally posted, so today is a much different situation than yesterday. So yes, I feel much more confident in a stronger domestic release and performance, at least in terms of word-of-mouth and reviews spreading around and garnering some interest in the movie. As long as the creators are confident in the character and their future as a Phase 4 headliner, that's really all I'm concerned about.

Besides, CM was received much better than RoS.
    Sure, and she still got sat in the back seat of Endgame. As I said, I don't like what happened _to the character_ after so much hype was built up from both an Infinity War end credit and a whole movie introducing her as a new hero. Her role in End Game was very much a deus ex machina for Tony Stark, and a *very minor* appearance at the end.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-08-18 at 07:52 AM.
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

Sure, and she still got sat in the back seat of Endgame. As I said, I don't like what happened _to the character_ after so much hype was built up from both an Infinity War end credit and a whole movie introducing her as a new hero. Her role in End Game was very much a deus ex machina for Tony Stark, and a *very minor* appearance at the end.
    That's not a Captain Marvel problem... that's an Endgame problem. The Russos decided to sideline her. They wanted to focus more on the original Avengers. Even the "newbies" that go on the Time Heist are kinda sidelined for the most part.

Suicide Squad is considered a flop. It's been doing very poorly in theaters(not even meeting the very modest predictions it was getting for opening weekend) and has had the second worst theatrical performances of the entire DC movie universe. So I wouldn't consider your "pretty busy" theater THAT big an indicator a film's potential theatrical success...

That's not a Captain Marvel problem... that's an Endgame problem. The Russos decided to sideline her. They wanted to focus more on the original Avengers. Even the "newbies" that go on the Time Heist are kinda sidelined for the most part.
    You can't say it's not a character problem and then point out that her character's sidelined in the next big movie she was supposed to be hyped for, and her next appearance isn't in a sequel movie, but as part of an ensemble. The creators decided to sideline her, for whatever creative reasons there are. Did End Game have to be a Time Heist movie involving a huge time skip? No, it didn't. Did Captain Marvel have to be written to conveniently exit the story to save other planets? No, it did not have to be written this way. But choosing to do so still sidelined the character.

My concern is how Shang Chi's character will be received (which happens to tie in with box office interest), and how it may affect the future of the character. Good future, Shang Chi gets his own standalone sequels planned for the future, helps headline the upcoming Avengers movie as a major superhero. Not-so-good future, he doesn't get his own movie sequels or ends up being used mostly as cameo appearances in other movies, and being written out of the major plot lines in the next big Avengers movies. Either could happen from a creative level. And I'm not saying this as a slight to the character or a hard-defined indicator of things having to either go A or B. I'm saying that it's a concern because he's supposed to be a headliner for Phase 4, and the future of the character may still depend on how well he is received overall.

And just for context, things are looking pretty good right now so I don't have much concern as I did prior to the premiere. Yet the remaining concern is that it still has a lot of international flak, and there are some very big challenges still being posed with theatre-exclusive box office runs. There are already rumors (some unfounded, I admit) that Marvel is writing off the success of Shang Chi. Chapek has decided to use this movie to push out a 45-day Theatre only release as an 'interesting experiment'. So what happens if it doesn't work out, does that mean Shang Chi is still planned for tons of future content as a major headliner? Or does it mean they're willing to write it all off as an experiment if things don't work out? We don't really know what is in store here.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-08-18 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Suicide Squad is considered a flop. It's been doing very poorly in theaters(not even meeting the very modest predictions it was getting for opening weekend) and has had the second worst theatrical performances of the entire DC movie universe. So I wouldn't consider your "pretty busy" theater THAT big an indicator a film's potential theatrical success...
    I wasn't talking about the films theatrical success. I was talking about how people are starting to go back to the theaters. If anything, the fact that Suicide squad isn't doing that well is even more of an indication of how theaters are coming back.

I can't speak for other areas...but where I live over 80% of the population has had both doses of the vaccine....and even more have had at least 1 shot. There's only a small percentage of people that absolutely refuse to be vaccinated...and those people have wanted to pretend covid wasn't happening anyway. So we're returning to some semblance of normal here... and that means people are going to the theaters. And, anecdotally, I can see the improvement. There were more people in the theater last night for Suicide Squad on it's second week than there were in the theater when I saw Black Widow on it's opening weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't say it's not a character problem and then point out that her character's sidelined in the next big movie she was supposed to be hyped for, and her next appearance isn't in a sequel movie, but as part of an ensemble. The creators decided to sideline her, for whatever creative reasons there are. Did End Game have to be a Time Heist movie involving a huge time skip? No, it didn't. Did Captain Marvel have to be written to conveniently exit the story to save other planets? No, it did not have to be written this way. But choosing to do so still sidelined the character.
    Like I said, everyone that wasn't an original Avenger was kind of sidelined in that film. The focus was on the original team.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-08-18 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Currently we would have to consider a different metric for theatres. Opening weekend isn’t a great indicator since many theatres wouldn’t be open at full capacity and people may spread out their viewings.

It did have a steep drop off though which is rarely a good sign. It did premiere on streaming opening night so that would also have an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Currently we would have to consider a different metric for theatres. Opening weekend isn’t a great indicator since many theatres wouldn’t be open at full capacity and people may spread out their viewings.

It did have a steep drop off though which is rarely a good sign. It did premiere on streaming opening night so that would also have an effect.
    The biggest issue for most movies is the lack of Chinese releases. Very few films have gotten a wide release in China, due to covid mainly. The top film of the year is called Detective Chinatown 3 due to massive chinese numbers.

And by massive I mean close to $700M due to them starving for movies.

I'd normally have gone out to see Suicide Squad in theaters (and Black Widow, for that matter). I didn't, because of the pandemic. I'm fully vaccinated, but I'm not sitting in a germpit for two hours with a hundred or so randos, regardless.

I used to go see a film in theater at least once or twice a month. I think the last one I saw in theaters was actually Rise of Skywalker. Goddammit.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/

I mean, looking at this list, it's pretty damning for whatever you consider as any kind of 'new metric' for what should and should not be a success. How can any metric spin this as Suicide Squad and Free Guy being successful at all?

Granted all these numbers are muddled without accounting for streaming services, it's still going to be an uphill battle for any movie to be considered a success off theatrical release alone. This is just an odd timing for it all, and I really hope it doesn't have repercussions for the IP's involved.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-08-18 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'd normally have gone out to see Suicide Squad in theaters (and Black Widow, for that matter). I didn't, because of the pandemic. I'm fully vaccinated, but I'm not sitting in a germpit for two hours with a hundred or so randos, regardless.
    My local theatre is requiring spacing between seats. Like three or four empty seats for every filled seat. Every available seat was taken when I went. I literally bought the last available seat. So capacity is only 20-25% of normal. The theatre also uses wider reclining chairs with deeper rows, so people aren’t packed in like sardines to begin with. You can recline those chairs into a bed if you wanted and people can still walk by you.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/

I mean, looking at this list, it's pretty damning for whatever you consider as any kind of 'new metric' for what should and should not be a success. How can any metric spin this as Suicide Squad and Free Guy being successful at all?

Granted all these numbers are muddled without accounting for streaming services, it's still going to be an uphill battle for any movie to be considered a success off theatrical release alone. This is just an odd timing for it all, and I really hope it doesn't have repercussions for the IP's involved.
    Normally it’s bad but this isn’t normal times. I’m hoping it’s still a success. I like going to the theatre. Black Widow was a weaker movie but I still regret watching it at home. Glad I made the effort to see SS in the theatre.

I wonder what the "new normal" for movies is going to be. I do think it'll rebound more than it is, obviously, but once you break folks of the habit or theaters for a couple years, it may shift in a more permanent way. Also, for the "It's a MCU film", I wonder how much Endgame reset that clock as well. I doubt many average movie goers cared about the metaplot at the end of the day, but the ending of the arc did sort of let people gloss over the uh... weaker... MCU movies in the bundle. I'm sure Thor and Ironman are very findly remembered, vs after say, IM2 or Thor2.

If they try to push Shang Chi, it'll probably fit in the Doctor Strange/ Cap Marvel sort of tier, where they're important in a way, but not focused on. Or maybe more of the AntMan tier, where they're pretty involved but not really important/ powerful in a central way. Dunno, I think the MCU has a lot of room, but Marvel also has a LOT of characters, so I'm not sure what the criteria are for a successful launch, or if it all comes down to what characters the producers like.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Normally it’s bad but this isn’t normal times. I’m hoping it’s still a success. I like going to the theatre. Black Widow was a weaker movie but I still regret watching it at home. Glad I made the effort to see SS in the theatre.
    Normally it's bad, and 'in current times' it's still bad when you consider GvK, Fast9 and Black Widow all still fared decently in the box office. There's no real good way to spin the poor box office attendance for Suicide Squad.

As I said, will wait and see how Shang Chi performs. I definitely think Shang Chi could be a very good movie, and first impressions say it may be the best comic movie this year. That being said, those impressions also applied to Suicide Squad, and we can see the box office numbers tell a vastly different story.

The point is about the TV characters coming onto the MCU, except for Iron Fist, which performed poorly and was not well received. I was simply making an example of how they are seemingly brushing Iron Fist under the rug while the others are coming into the MCU.

The Perlmutter/Feige thing has nothing to do with my point, since I'm talking about the MCU under Feige and which properties are being brought in, and which ones seeming are not.
    except it does because the only ones who are so far having any sort of hint at being included are the 3 main favorites among mcu fans
    daredevil and kingpin
    punisher
    quake

and this doesnt even take into account HOW these characters are being integrated, how much of the netflix shows and aos are going to be made canon?
    it could very well be a jamie fox scenario where fiege really likes the actor, likes the idea that actor could potentially portray.
    but i very much doubt jamie fox electro is going to be all that much like the garfield version of him even if they share some tangential winks

its kind of like when perlmutter kept pushing to try and kill the x-men and some people were "nah no way theyre still making tons of wolverine merch" well yeah because wolverine is their 2nd most popular character behind spider-man and they still love money
    disney killed off the star wars ecu but characters like thrawn still get baked into the lore because a lot of people love thrawn and hes one of the actual good things from the star wars ecu but no one would ever claim the star wars ecu is canonical or being folded in wholesale

if people love something enough chances are it will find its way back into the main universe. another example is miles morales. his whole universe got destroyed but they pulled him through because people love miles morales

fiege is going to cherry pick what he likes and whats popular and keep it.
    if for some reason shang chi does badly somehow (very much doubt it) we will most likely just have a gotg situation where gotg2 if it had performed poorly wouldve had the hulk added to it and be mixed with the planet hulk storyline

when gotg was a smashing succes they pivoted and decided to do a similar plotline to boost the thor series which many considered until 3 to be the weakest of the marvel solo series and thor 2 in particular usually near the very bottom of mcu movies basically propped up by loki fangirls at the time.

captain marvel sells tons of merch, she's all over the place the people that try to say shes been poorly recieved somehow just dont match the numbers

i agree they kind of fucked over her role in endgame but i also kinda see WHY they did that. at the time the film was made it was seeming pretty likely that the only avengers left over were going to be hulk and hawkeye. and hulk can probably sell a movie but hawkeye? thats a tougher sell, now weve got hemsworth staying on for who knows how long since his character has seen a revitalization not only in reception but in the writing itself now that they have people like taiki who get the character and isnt as constrained under the early mcu which had not only perlmutter but the dreaded now-defunct Marvel Creative Committee who were a fucking nightmare to deal with as a creative.

would you really wanna sacrifice screentime to your biggest characters leaving when captain marvel still has plenty of contract to go on and can help bolster the avengers now that all of their most popular characters are gone? hell even spider-man was up in the air for a while about being in the mcu

the russos choosing to give the classics a last hurrah knowing captain marvel was already popular and had plenty of screentime left just makes sense.
    she shows up enough to look flashy and cool and remind people that not everybodies going away that there are new characters still to come and honestly i think that made endgame a better movie

could you imagine if they just used endgame, the finale to the entire arc of the mcu so far to just prop up newbies? endgame is already one of the longest mcu movies.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

That being said, those impressions also applied to Suicide Squad, and we can see the box office numbers tell a vastly different story.
    I think its a mistake to look at week one to week two box numbers as metric for the quality of a movie. I think it’s quite possible what is happening is that everyone who wants to see a given film and is willing to actually see it in the theater goes opening weekend. After that pretty much everyone willing to see the movie in the theater has done so, this week two numbers collapse.

Ten Rings and the Eternals may very well take the same route. The difference being idiots like The Quartering and that kind of ilk, will bang the drum of how theses movies were PC forced feed crap, or how Asian focuses movies won’t sell in America and hurt the franchise.

I definitely want to see Ten Rings, I definitely still won’t go see it in the theater. I can wait 45 days to see pretty much any Disney film. Streaming is changing the nature of the box office, it’s not that bad week two box office numbers mean a movie is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I wonder what the "new normal" for movies is going to be. I do think it'll rebound more than it is, obviously, but once you break folks of the habit or theaters for a couple years, it may shift in a more permanent.
    I don’t think it’s fair to compare BW And Suicide Squad. Seeing BW at home was, what, like $8 for Disney already and another $20? Seeing Suicide Squad? $14? I think having SS come with the service versus an additional fee also hurt it. As cheap as Disney is, I know a lot of people that have it, so that cost is there. HBO? Hell I share that with family, and if I didn’t, I would have found a friends’s I could use for ~2 hours one afternoon.

I think the model is eventually going to be the Disney model: slight tack on to the price, like you were buying the (overpriced) vudu rights or something. WB won’t take a bath too many times before they get wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    except it does because the only ones who are so far having any sort of hint at being included are the 3 main favorites among mcu fans
    daredevil and kingpin
    punisher
    quake
    Also Jessica Jones, rumored to return in Armor Wars (War Machine spinoff)

and this doesnt even take into account HOW these characters are being integrated, how much of the netflix shows and aos are going to be made canon?
    I'm not quite sure if you're addressing something I've said or just making a general statement. I don't think it's really that important how they are integrated, more than people will simply be happy that they are. I mean the whole multiverse gates are open now, and even without multiverse it could be as simple as these characters having always existed in the universe though they have to be re-integrated into canon just like Star Wars Legends material like Thrawn being reintroduced in new canon.

its kind of like when perlmutter kept pushing to
    But my point isn't about whatever Perlmutter chose to do, or his conflicts with Feige. It's purely on how the future of certain characters will play out, and what the creators have planned for them.

And no, it's not all based on financial successes. It's also based on creative direction.

My comparison to Captain Marvel were specifically to the character in context, not the movie and her popularity or performance. It was about how Marvel treated her character cinematically, and having her be hyped up only to play a (what I consider) bit role in End Game. And I was expressing how I hope Shang Chi would not be treated the same way.