Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Spider-Man defeats Superman to become most expensive comic book ever sold

A copy of the 1962 comic Amazing Fantasy No. 15 was sold at Heritage Auctions Thursday for a whopping $3.6 million.

Peter Parker and his alter ego Spider-Man made their debut in the comic book that was sold for 12 cents at the time.

An Action Comics No. 1 that included the 1938 debut of the Man of Steel sold earlier this year for $3.25 million.
    That AF 15 was Graded a 9.6 that is damn impressive from 1962. Highest Action 1 looks to be 8.5, which is to me more impressive given it’s age. I’ve always wanted to get a few of my books graded but I’d be bummed if they got low grades (and some would considering I actually read them at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    That AF 15 was Graded a 9.6 that is damn impressive from 1962. Highest Action 1 looks to be 8.5, which is to me more impressive given it’s age. I’ve always wanted to get a few of my books graded but I’d be bummed if they got low grades (and some would considering I actually read them at the time).
    I disagree with the 8.5 AC#1 being more impressive than a 9.6 AF#15. 9.6 compared to 8.5 may not seem like much...but in grading comics the difference is pretty huge.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/comics-grading-scale

NEARMINT+9.6
    This is close to mint with some minor defects. Even though some defects are allowed in 9.6, certain defects, such as tape, are never allowed in this grade range.

Slight stress on the spine.
    The staples themselves are generally centered clean with no discernible rust.
    Maybe some minor color has chipped or flaked off the cover.
    The cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and very little fading. Square and sharp corners with ever so slight blunting permitted.
    You can tell that this comic has been stored properly and looks almost as new as the day it was printed.
    The smallest amount of creasing
    All bindery tears are small.
    Only some binding and/or printing defects allowed.
    Cover is fairly well centered and firmly secured to interior pages.
    Paper is supple and like new.
    Spine is tight and flat.
    Unobtrusive date stamps or arrival dates in pencil or ink are acceptable.
    Many pedigree collection comics have a notation on the cover or the interior of the comic and are considered a bonus to collectors as they help prove the provenance of the comic.
    VERY FINE / NEARMINT 9.0 TO 7.5
    9.0 - VERY FINE / NEARMINT+

8.5 - VERY FINE+

8.0 - VERY FINE

7.5 - VERY FINE-

A VERY FINE comic book appears to have been read a few times and has been handled with care. These grades allow for some more defects than higher grades. Overall an above average copy and still very collectible.

Some of the above defects along with a fold or crease in the cover that breaks color.
    Some stress marks on spine.
    A few small chips on the cover.
    The cover has some slight surface wear but still has much of its original gloss and there is nothing major wrong with it.
    Sun shadows, dust shadows and tanning can be darker and have more of a visual impact than those in higher grades.

Action Comics #1 is 83yrs old.
    Amazing Fantasy #15 is 59yrs old.

AC does edge out AF when it comes to making an impression for the sole fact that having a comic that old in that condition is near miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    There have been two Action #1's that were graded 9.0. I imagine if either 9 went up for sale this year they would probably go for more since the back issue market's pretty loopy.

There's a Detective Comics #27 graded at 9.2. Its apparently been in private hands since 2014. If it went up for sale it would probably crush everything.

Generally, a high grade comic from the 60's is less impressive than an older comic. I should point out that people didn't take of their comics properly until the 70s. So getting comics in high grade before than is unusual.

Edit:
    There are 4x Amazing Fantasies #15 at 9.6. There are 6x AF15 at 9.4.

I think someone overpaid.

More Edit:
    https://itsalljustcomics.com/the-mos...-in-the-world/

I'm partially familiar with some of these already and it runs down some items that are in private hands but could be worth millions.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2021-09-13 at 12:54 AM.

Hawkeye trailer coming tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Action Comics #1 is 83yrs old.
    Amazing Fantasy #15 is 59yrs old.

AC does edge out AF when it comes to making an impression for the sole fact that having a comic that old in that condition is near miraculous.
    Having either of them in that good condition is miraculous...but a 9.6 is not just "good condition"...it's near mint.

Hawkeye coming to Disney+ Nov 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye is one of the best things I've ever read from Marvel, and that they're using that run as the model for this show makes me so happy.

I was not expecting the Tracksuit Mafia, but I'm 100% in for that.
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-09-13 at 02:34 PM.

meh, i do Hope it is a Hawkeye show, cause who the hell is the other archer? isn't supposed to be clint building up his daughter to be the next one? i vaguely remember reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye is one of the best things I've ever read from Marvel, and that they're using that run as the model for this show makes me so happy.

I was not expecting the Tracksuit Mafia, but I'm 100% in for that.
    I’m excited to see how it turns out. The action looks on point and the basis is solid. I’m sure some will be bored with the show, but I’m loving all the YA introductions along with the Thunderbolt recruiting we keep seeing. Lots of groundwork is being laid for the future of the MCU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    meh, i do Hope it is a Hawkeyeshow, cause who the hell is the other archer? isn't supposed to be clint building up his daughter to be the next one?
    That other archer IS Hawkeye, aka Kate Bishop.

That other archer IS Hawkeye, aka Kate Bishop.
    i mean that the show focus on Clint, i was hoping to see the aftermatch of him being Ronin.

But then again, what bout his daughter?, is she his daughter? i don't know much about hawkeye.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i mean that the show focus on Clint, i was hoping to see the aftermatch of him being Ronin.

But then again, what bout his daughter?, is she his daughter? i don't know much about hawkeye.
    His daughter is the girl you saw at the beginning of the trailer. Kate Bishop is replacing him.

This looks like it will be a lot of fun!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I’m excited to see how it turns out. The action looks on point and the basis is solid. I’m sure some will be bored with the show, but I’m loving all the YA introductions along with the Thunderbolt recruiting we keep seeing. Lots of groundwork is being laid for the future of the MCU.
    I'm regularly baffled by the long-scale success of the MCU overall. This project shouldn't have worked. But it's the single most successful film franchise in history. Two of the other competitors (Star Wars, James Bond) had to spread their outings out over 40 or more years, where it's been 13 for the MCU in total. It's completely out of scale with anything that has ever been attempted with film ever before.

Even if the whole thing fell apart literally today and we never got any of the planned future properties, the MCU as it stands will be studied by film students for decades, at a minimum, and likely centuries. Not because of any inherent exceptionality in any particular film, on its own, but for their collective success and what that combination means in terms of filmmaking, what separates the MCU from any other attempts to build a franchise.

They made Guardians of the Galaxy into a thing. Just to show they could. And early enough on that it was a bit of a statement, at that.

I'm regularly baffled by the long-scale success of the MCU overall. This project shouldn't have worked. But it's the single most successful film franchise in history. Two of the other competitors (Star Wars, James Bond) had to spread their outings out over 40 or more years, where it's been 13 for the MCU in total. It's completely out of scale with anything that has ever been attempted with film ever before.
    I'm pretty sure MCU has more films in it's 13 than SW+Bond over their decades, even. I've mostly burned out on them at this point, but I think that just puts me on a level with the non-Marvel fan that will still watch the movies as a good solid experience, even without the level of investment that the real fans maintain. I think the MCU formula does well, sure, but I think it's also that they're just well crafted experiences even when mediocre movies (like Thor2 or such) in most other ways. MCU may run into some issues across movies, but rarely is there something within the movie that makes that movie dumb, which I think StarWars or FoxMarvel can't claim.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Even if the whole thing fell apart literally today and we never got any of the planned future properties, the MCU as it stands will be studied by film students for decades, at a minimum, and likely centuries. Not because of any inherent exceptionality in any particular film, on its own, but for their collective success and what that combination means in terms of filmmaking, what separates the MCU from any other attempts to build a franchise.

They made Guardians of the Galaxy into a thing. Just to show they could. And early enough on that it was a bit of a statement, at that.
    Now now, don't get carried away. MCU has made $23 billion over 25 movies. Harry Potter made $7.8 over 8.

The only thing that seems remarkable is their ability to churn out at least a couple solid movies a year for 13 years. And I think that has more to do with being funded/managed by a juggernaut like Disney than any special creative power.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I'm pretty sure MCU has more films in it's 13 than SW+Bond over their decades, even. I've mostly burned out on them at this point, but I think that just puts me on a level with the non-Marvel fan that will still watch the movies as a good solid experience, even without the level of investment that the real fans maintain. I think the MCU formula does well, sure, but I think it's also that they're just well crafted experiences even when mediocre movies (like Thor2 or such) in most other ways. MCU may run into some issues across movies, but rarely is there something within the movie that makes that movie dumb, which I think StarWars or FoxMarvel can't claim.
    Marvel just passed bond at 25, Bond will catch up next month, then 2 more MCU to put them ahead forever.
    Last edited by Vegas82; 2021-09-13 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Oops, miscounted Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Now now, don't get carried away. MCU has made $23 billion over 25 movies. Harry Potter made $7.8 over 8.
    So, not "more profitable per film", which I never argued.

They haven't had a single failure in those 25 films. Not one. That's nuts. The closest they get to a "flop" are films like Thor 2, which still did okay, both critically and financially. And which they used to rework the sub-franchise, leading to Thor: Ragnarok, which was a smash hit both ways.

The only thing that seems remarkable is their ability to churn out at least a couple solid movies a year for 13 years. And I think that has more to do with being funded/managed by a juggernaut like Disney than any special creative power.
    And yet, nobody else in the business has ever pulled that off, ever. And Disney's acquisition of Marvel came after this all started, and didn't trip anything up.

While studios have definitely put out a couple good films a year, they've also always had films which didn't fly with audiences, simultaneously. The MCU doesn't have that. Every film is a hit.

Like, we literally just don't have examples of anything similar we can point to. I'm racking my brain to try and think of equivalents in the music industry or literature, and drawing blanks.

Well the sucess of the MCU is mindblowing indeed but I'm actually more surprised about the number of Marvel films ( not MCU, movies depicting marvel characters).

More than 50 in 2 decades. More....than.... 50. That's 2.5 movies a year.

If I traveled back in time to meet myself at the "X-men" premiere back in 2000 and I tell me: "There's 50 more coming in the next 20 years" my eyes would have roll.

There was no way to predict this explosion. We, fans, understood X-Men or Spiderman or Hulk could work ( because they worked at comics) but....freaking "Ant man"? Really ? Well...Yahhh Really.

Disney also announced no more streaming releases this year. Means I'm probably not seeing any movies legally until 2022 because FL theaters ain't wear its at right now.

Resident Cosplay Progressive