Thoroughly enjoyed Hawkeye. Not my favourite of the series, but an enjoyable watch.

I kinda think it was a bit ridiculous how many thugs came out at the end though, when we only ever and always see just a handful of these guys throughout the series. Like, were they always supposed to be that many in number? I don't remember any scene where we have more than say 10 at a time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed Hawkeye. Not my favourite of the series, but an enjoyable watch.

I kinda think it was a bit ridiculous how many thugs came out at the end though, when we only ever and always see just a handful of these guys throughout the series. Like, were they always supposed to be that many in number? I don't remember any scene where we have more than say 10 at a time.
    Did you forget how kingpin wanted to show that this was his city? he obviously wanted to show power and called the whole squad, hell, he even showed himself in the field.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    It's the difference between "the local cell is sending a few goons to handle something" and "all hands on deck as a show of power and control". The Tracksuits are Kingpin's guys. Up to the final episode, they're just dealing with his Lieutenant, Maya; the final episode, it's the Big Guy giving the orders. And his target, originally, was Eleanor Bishop, who's a powerful CEO in her own right with the strength of a security company backing her; he was trying to send a message. The Hawkeyes were basically incidental and only became targets when they protected Eleanor.

They take pains to explain it in the setup, which was a nice touch.

On a completely different note, it's really interesting looking back exactly how important the concept of "family" is to this show. Every relationship here is familial. Hawkeye and his family, obviously. Kate's issues with her mother and impending stepdad. The adoptive dad/daughter dynamic between Clint and Kate. Yelena and Natasha, and Nat and Clint. The big/little sis dynamic between Yelena and Kate. Maya and [spoiler]Kingpin[spoiler]. Everything is mapped to that central theme. Even the LARPers have a "found family" dynamic, beyond normal friendship/acquaintance stuff, and pretty quickly adopt Clint into that group. I'm probably missing even more because it's so thickly layered and it's really damn clear that it's not accidental.

I'm going to go back watch that episode again but.... I felt like I was watching something they filmed after everyone took a six month break and came back to finish the show. The lines were hallmark channel corny, the characters acted like cartoons and every scene was predictable.

Its not like other episodes and other Marvel content doesn't have cheesy lines and some actors struggling with them. "Go get your hammer bro!" But the partners line and the Mom/Daughter relationship lines on top of nobody bringing a rifle to the final fight just bothered me.

Hawkeye imo has always been the most difficult for them to make look "cool" as he is on paper super vulnerable to dying while fighting super baddies. They finally have him fighting regular chaps and did nothing with it. Just stand there like a turret and wreck everyone as they run in. Not exactly try hard choreography. This just felt like I was watching the last episode of something that needed 2-3 more episodes to properly tell its story. And imo I can't blame the show creators for that as we have tons of examples of good shows being forced to dump everything into seasons/episodes because they know its ending.

Really bad episode imo, but I think when I watch it again it will hit different. Perhaps was expecting something else.

It was the weakest episode of the six. Very rushed and lacking the fluency of the previous ones. The comic beats were good, but that's it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Eh, coming right after Spoderverse, this Doc Strange trailer brings literally zero hype factor for me. Did they really expect viewers to throw their panties at the sight of evil Strange?
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2021-12-23 at 03:23 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratz View Post
    I'm going to go back watch that episode again but.... I felt like I was watching something they filmed after everyone took a six month break and came back to finish the show. The lines were hallmark channel corny, the characters acted like cartoons and every scene was predictable.
    Similar feeling. It was as if they had a clear roadmap for the 6 episodes, then they got Vincent and had to rework the ending around his presence.

All around enjoyable series and I’d definitely watch a second season. It just didn’t stick the landing in my book.

Finished Hawkeye. Enjoyed it more than I anticipated!

I was happy to see Vincent D'Onofreio return to play Kingpin, so it kind of saddened me that he was apperantly killed at the end of episode 6. Here's hoping for that being a fake-out.

On another note, why was someone playing Ant-man in the Rogers musical? At first, I thought that was the result of someone messing with reality, but the commemorative plaque doesn't mention him. Creative liberty by the director of the musical?

Unless I see a body Kingpin is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Iirc in the comics Echo shoots him and he survives but is blind for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I was happy to see Vincent D'Onofreio return to play Kingpin, so it kind of saddened me that he was apperantly killed at the end of episode 6. Here's hoping for that being a fake-out.
    If you don't see a corpse on-screen, it didn't happen and it's a fake-out. Standard comic book rules.

Hell, we saw him take an arrow to the chest and it just irritated him. Even in the comics, Fisk is on the cusp of superhuman status, and can go toe-to-toe with Captain America in a brawl and hold his own just fine; he's just as strong and resilient as Steve is. Fisk could easily juke Maya's shot and take it in the shoulder or something and barely get slowed down. If we didn't know Maya was returning for her own series, I'd argue it's MORE likely SHE'd be the one who died as the camera cut away.

Okay what is with the sudden articles popping up saying that Tobey’s spiderman 4 is back in production?

Well spider man burnout might happen now.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you don't see a corpse on-screen, it didn't happen and it's a fake-out. Standard comic book rules.

Hell, we saw him take an arrow to the chest and it just irritated him. Even in the comics, Fisk is on the cusp of superhuman status, and can go toe-to-toe with Captain America in a brawl and hold his own just fine; he's just as strong and resilient as Steve is. Fisk could easily juke Maya's shot and take it in the shoulder or something and barely get slowed down. If we didn't know Maya was returning for her own series, I'd argue it's MORE likely SHE'd be the one who died as the camera cut away.
    I just assumed he wore one of his Kevlar suits. So yeah, that's why I said I'm hoping for a fake-out. D'Onofrio is just to much fun to kill off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    Okay what is with the sudden articles popping up saying that Tobey’s spiderman 4 is back in production?

Well spider man burnout might happen now.
    I doubt anything will come of it. Just articles written for the purpose of having something to write about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    His clothes protect him from shit like bullets and arrows. You watched Daredevil right?
    It's not just the suits, is what I'm saying. Kingpin weighs like 500lbs and it's nearly all muscle and bone, plus he's a highly trained fighter who knows how to use that. That's why he's ripping car doors off with one hand and stuff. Shooting him with a handgun is like trying to stop a charging bison with the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Could be a misdirection, or that could be Disney not wanting to show a firearm murder on screen
    Even for a villain, that’s not very Disney-y

He gets blinded by Maya in the comics after she shoots him in the eyes. So probably that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Could be a misdirection, or that could be Disney not wanting to show a firearm murder on screen
    Even for a villain, that’s not very Disney-y
    Reminder that Disney owned Miramax while it was publishing Tarantino's early films, and that Marvel's shown plenty of people being killed by guns already to boot. Marvel avoids massive amounts of blood and gore, but that's not the same thing.

If you've got Disney+ and you're NOT in the USA, also, you'll be able to see that Disney also owns Star (in the USA, they'd partnered with Hulu, so they have contractual obligations to Hulu that prevent them including Star on Disney+ there; it's entirely down to contracts, not corporate culture). I can go on Disney+ right now and watch, among others, the Deadpool films, the Alien films, Logan, the Taken series, etc.

Disney has no issue publishing content showing violence or horror, as a company. They never have. It's a fiction people invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Just got home from seeing NWH, my god it's so good. Heavy spoilers below.

Mae's death hit hard, but at the end it felt more overshadowed by the tragedy that no one knows who Peter is anymore, I feel like this is Marvel and Sony's way of writing him out of the MCU. If no one knows who he is, he's not going to be in the Avengers anymore, there's no one to co-operate with him. He'll exist in the world but almost passing through it unseen, so he'll just turn up in his own Sony films.

Also that post credits scene? We're either setting up for a Venom conflict or Symbiote Spiderman storyline. Just please no godawful combovers and awkward dancing down the street please Tom.

In all honesty, the film could have gone on so much longer, and it wouldn't feel like it dragged. I hope I'm wrong about where the franchise goes from here, because losing Spiderman in the Marvel Studios films and essentially having him in a one man bubble within the MCU feels sad.
    You got it backwards. Killing Aunt Mae and making all the sony property characters (MJ and NED) forget who peter parker actually is to write Tom Holland's Spiderman INTO the MCU. They will no longer need to get sony characters into Spiderman movies. Tom Holland already signed onto 3 more marvel spiderman movies. Which is a big relief to everyone.

On the flip side, this opens the door for Andrew Garfield to play spiderman in the Venom/Morbius Sonyverse.

There's also the benefit of the soft-reboot to not make another movie if they never got another contract settled, but it seems like everyone likes money so everyone will have their cake and eat it too.
    Last edited by Rtrain; 2021-12-24 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spoiler tags
    www.twitch.tv/rtrain

Free Agent! Looking for Guild for Legion!

Watched the season finale this morning, nice way to start the holidays. Good ol D'onofrio

Ending with the yearly Christmas eve Die Hard screening