Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Confusing to me how some folks can dismiss stuff as entirely unrelatable.

I was a teenager once, so right off the bat there are going to be similarities in our experience just by virtue of being a teenager in the US, my parents were also immigrants, so that's another part I can relate to.

Can I relate with all of her problems and story beats? No. For one, I was never a teenage girl, so anything specific to that would be something I know nothing about. That wouldn't still not prevent me from trying to empathize with the character. I've never had to deal with a period (touching on the turning red references) but male bodies go through changes too, I can at least empathize on SOME level...sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

To be honest I never understood the need for a character to be the same gender, race, religion, sexual preference etc. in order to identify with them. My favourite characters are Batman, Buffy, Kaldur'ahm (Young Justice version only), and Captain Holt. I guess in the case of Batman, Kaldur, and Holt, I have a serious demeanor too. For Buffy, I guess we both have felt the burden of responsibility at a young age.

Which brings us all back to my original point that I've never heard anyone complain about Daredevil, The Blind, Catholic, Vigilante Lawyer with Super-human senses, as being "unrelatable"... even though I would hazard to guess that most of us have no experience with at least 3 of those descriptors.

If despite all that you still find you can relate to DD and not MM... you may want to consider what your criteria for relatability actually is.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2022-03-17 at 09:56 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The average person isn't going to get up in the middle of the night to kick the shit out of people either.
    Yes, thats why i say they can relat with his struggle with his religion, that is much more of a pivotal point in the comics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, it's you jumping into the middle of an ongoing discussion and pretending it's all about you and the prior context of that discussion does not exist;
    Are you blind? he literally asked to me, when i never said that.

iIf you can't separate people while discussing in a public forum thats entirely on you

I've removed the attribution so it won't ping the user unnecessarily,
    I don't speak for others, i speak for myself, and m stance is different and i merely said about which is easier or not, again, if that is too difficult to separate people, and not every discussion is black or white, i stop here

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Y
    Are you blind? he literally asked to me, when i never said that.

iIf you can't separate people while discussing in a public forum thats entirely on you
    Which again comes back to you jumping in on the conversation without understanding the context. But what I was asking you really comes down to why you think it will be harder for people to relate to Ms. Marvel. You still haven't answered the question.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Which again comes back to you jumping in on the conversation without understanding the context.
    I understand the context, i just gave a different opinion on the subject, but you and the other guy jumped to conclusions to assume i was being against your point, in favor of others, like this is a black and white debate, therefore, you have to win the internet discussion.

When people were talking about how to relate with heroes, i merely said is easier to relate with some, than others, and talk briefly about Peter parker, since they were both "teens".

But what I was asking you really comes down to why you think it will be harder for people to relate to Ms. Marvel. You still haven't answered the question.
    No, you asked why people can't relate with her, despite im never making that point, i said some people might find easier to relate with other heroes than her, and i already said way in previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Im hopeful the show is better then what been shown here as I felt like I was looking at a CW teen drama trailer rather then a MCU show.
    Well yeah, she's a teenager. It's hard to write about teenagers without some sort of cliché internal conflict, because it's naturally a part of what we all went through. It'd be weird to write a story with a main character being a teenager who WASNT obsessed with sex and self image.

No, you asked why people can't relate with her, despite im never making that point, i said some people might find easier to relate with other heroes than her, and i already said way in previous posts.
    Then answer the question as I phrase it now:

Why is it harder to relate with Kamala?

10+ Year Old Account
    And we're pointing out this is an argument that really has no basis in anything but petty bigotries. It's bigotry that gets in the way of you empathizing with someone different from you. That's the barrier. Not the differences. Understanding and accepting those differences is literally what empathy is. It isn't a sliding scale where things get more and more difficult to empathize with. We empathize with animals. We empathize with robots. We empathize with inanimate objects; there's a recent IKEA commercial that exploits this by getting you to empathize with an IKEA lamp that's being thrown out, and then saying it's silly because it's just a lamp. They literally get you to empathize with an inanimate object in like 30 seconds of screen footage.

So spare me this "some people are just so different that we can't empathize with them" nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Well yeah, she's a teenager. It's hard to write about teenagers without some sort of cliché internal conflict, because it's naturally a part of what we all went through. It'd be weird to write a story with a main character being a teenager who WASNT obsessed with sex and self image.
    I should wonder how difficult it is to write about a teenager and still have an older crowd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I should wonder how difficult it is to write about a teenager and still have an older crowd be interested.
    I thought Stargirl s1 was doing a decent enough job in the first few episodes, though I haven’t finished it. The new Superman show from the episodes I’ve watched has also done a good job of having teenagers involved and it being watchable as well. I’ll hope MM writing is passable, I mean it’s Disney don’t they do this teen stuff for a living? Seems they’d have people around that are good at it, maybe they could loan some to the CW!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Then answer the question as I phrase it now:

Why is it harder to relate with Kamala?
    roll back some posts and you will find the answer, not gonna play your game

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And we're pointing out this is an argument that really has no basis in anything but petty bigotries.
    That is a rly big ultimatum, and rly ironic coming from someone calling others bigots.

So spare me this "some people are just so different that we can't empathize with them" nonsense.
    And i never did that, nice to see you still keep your game of fallacies to win internet points

roll back some posts and you will find the answer, not gonna play your game
    You never answered the question. What about Kamala makes her harder to relate to?

Anyone else fell out of love with Marvel Stuff after End game? except maybe the Spiderman stuff.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel12 View Post
    Anyone else fell out of love with Marvel Stuff after End game? except maybe the Spiderman stuff.
    there is not many big guns after endgame tbh, eternals was meh, shang chi was ok, black widow felt like civil war.

But, im convinced Doctor strange 2 will deliver something similar to spiderman, seeing Charles rly is a good signal.

Is Sony but im excited for Morbius, the trailers at least are deceiving well enough, cause it looks good.

Is Sony but im excited for Morbius, the trailers at least are deceiving well enough, cause it looks good.
    Looks promising.
    Even more promising...DC.
    They just might have a good year.

Worry not....you'll find your love back.

The MCU lacks momentum right now because we are at the start of a new chapter and there's no time ( or story) to have been hooked into the storylines that is the great fidelization factor, the real source of this unprecedent success: the interthwine of narratives that converge into a big splash.

We can blame it to worse characters , worse actors ( let's accept the fact that there's not gonna be another RDJ) or worse stories and have some point in it but memory works in strange ways and I think we have forgotten absolutely no one cared for Capt. America in "The First Avenger" or Thor in "Thor". No single person went out of the cinema superexcited by the experience nor anyone ( outside comics fans) remembered the shield was made of vibranium nor the hammer was named Mjolnir. Those are films that were just "Ok" and pulled its own weight in the box office and that is what happens to the Phase 4 films with the exception of Black Widow ( being an interlude and not pushing the MCU story forward did not help)...new characters that are are just "OK". "No way Home" depicting a character with a lot of momentum in the story is ,again, a mega hit.

You fell in love with Cap and Thor and Black Window in "The Avengers" and that love grew as the characters and stories got more layers and more background.

So it's important to understand what's happening now in the MCU: phase 4 have a very defined goal that is introducing the alternate versions.

Marvel Studios has masterfully translated into the visual medium some mechanisms of the comics like the supergroup ( a character has its own story ,its own series that is interlaced with the story of the supergroup it belongs and its series) and the all-star ( an story where every hero meets to face the unstoppable villain that can only be defeated by everyone at once) wich may seem easy but it's actually not ( a film with 27 main characters?? No, not easy at all) and now they are "translating" the next mechanism: the alternate characters.

We got not one but two Caps ( Sam and US Agent) , we got a new Hawkeye, a new Widow...soon a new Hulk, a new Iron man...new characters introduced.....presented the multiverse,this is what this phase is all about: giving a character the rebirth , the new desing that prevents from burning it out ( the things comics do).

And this time as opposed to Phase 1 everything is already planned,sure not everything will go as designed and course correction is necessary but we will see more coherence than the P1-P3 that may seen like a cohesive story but it's not at all and the best way to see how those phases were built are the Infinity Gems.

Every single comic reader had zero problems identifying the Tesseract: It's a cosmic cube. It looks like a cosmic cube, it behaves like a cosmic cube, it is related to the Red Skull who have a long lasting history with the cubes......the tesseract have nothing to do with the space gem. Same goes for the reality gem presented in "The Dark World": introduced as the Aether absolutely nothing to do with in infinity gem.

So we can see what happened: they make Iron Man,sucess..."Hey guys,this is working...lets do more"...Capt.America, Thor worked...and then "The Avengers" is released,it's otherwordly successful ( at the time 3rd biggest box office ever) and in Marvel Studios someone realizes this is not a gold mine...no ,no...this is a gold mine whose veins have fist sized diamonds inside and at that moment they decide to go for the Infinity Saga in the long run so the films produced before or already in an advancedd state of production shows no signs of Infinity Gems and the one's after that do show ( 2014 GoTG vol.1 is the first reference to the gems).

As as was saying this time they want to have a plan from the beggining and that , I'm afraid , implies starting with a slow rythm so you can accelerate.

Why the very forgettable "Cpt.Marvel" did more than a billion bucks? The answer is : because people felt it was a prelude ( or we expected that) to the big event coming.

So in the end if you ask me: are you as excited at the start of the game as you are when the score is 95-96 and it's 10 seconds left? No, I'm not.

Just wait for story to gain momentum...wait for the Kangs and the Dooms and the Celestials and the (hope) Beyonders to built an story and I can assure you that by the end of the decade you will be as excited for Secret Wars as you were for the Infinity Saga.
    Last edited by PrimiOne; 2022-03-18 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    Worry not....you'll find your love back.
    No...
    Need to care to worry. And I don't believe that's the case.

Movie wise we had two of the weakest offerings and then one of their best.

TV has been surprisingly very good. As long as you don't compare them to Peacemaker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Moon Knight coming next week?
    I remember a time ago reading those comics and kinda liked it. A bit of crossover between Batman and Spawn.