There was some uncanny valley things going on in the first trailer. It was hard to pinpoint. But her CGI model didn't look as good as Ruffalo's Hulk
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

She hulk looks fucking terrible what the actual fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
    foxxy is basically no longer a fox - more like a badger this game

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    To be honest I barely notice a difference but I didn't think the CGI was that bad in the first place. Maybe I'm blind?
    I’m blind too then. I’m unsure what has set people’s expectations so high. Perhaps it’s an age thing. Growing up with rubber suit Godzilla and 60s trek, my imagination had to do a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I’m blind too then. I’m unsure what has set people’s expectations so high. Perhaps it’s an age thing. Growing up with rubber suit Godzilla and 60s trek, my imagination had to do a lot of work.
    Can you imagine this generations reaction to the effects in the original Blob or Invasion of the Mushroom Men?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Can you imagine this generations reaction to the effects in the original Blob or Invasion of the Mushroom Men?
    I kind of wish we'd go back in that direction in terms of going for practical effects versus overusing CGI. The best execution of CGI is when you don't even know CGI was used... and that basically rules about about anything Marvel as of late. It's downright distracting at this point as we're trending towards the actors being the only real things on the screen (and it may not even be the entire actor at all, such as compositing heads on doubles). For She-hulk, why they couldn't just go practical effects with her is beyond me, especially since you aren't really roiding her out from the looks of it.

It's kind of funny to some degree, as Marvel is leaning heavily into CGI right now yet generally can't consistently produce good results across all the shows and movies they're trying to put out. If the stories and scripts weren't so damn awful as of late, some of the CGI issues would probably get glossed over a little... but if Marvel keeps pumping out terrible writing, people will naturally try to look for something good to offset it, but will probably end up noticing the CGI issues even more as a result. Never underestimate how much good writing can compensate for failures in other areas of execution.

*edit* - I should add peoples' issues with the CGI is less about "Back in my day it was worse, be grateful!" versus knowing what Marvel is capable of doing yet failing miserably as of late. If these were really low budget productions, people would give CGI a bit more of a pass. However, some of this CGI looks like it was made 20 years ago (or in some cases would've looked bad 20 years ago), and the people to raise the standards is Marvel themselves. If they had competent producers who knew going in that CGI artistry/rendering would be backed up, make changes to the media so that you don't have to rely on the CGI as much. While I've seen some attempts at this, they're bad attempts because they usually end up causing plot/writing issues because 'adjusting the content' for less CGI was likely done as an emergency measure late in production. Again, if Marvel leaned into practical effects way more than they are now, there would be less time/money needed for CGI and less reliance on that pipeline to be functioning, with the added benefit of needing much less time to adjust your project if CGI issues persist since you rely on it less.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-05-27 at 07:16 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I kind of wish we'd go back in that direction in terms of going for practical effects versus overusing CGI. The best execution of CGI is when you don't even know CGI was used... and that basically rules about about anything Marvel as of late. It's downright distracting at this point as we're trending towards the actors being the only real things on the screen (and it may not even be the entire actor at all, such as compositing heads on doubles). For She-hulk, why they couldn't just go practical effects with her is beyond me, especially since you aren't really roiding her out from the looks of it.
    Because it's kind of hard to convincingly make 5'4" Maslany look like she's 6'7" She-Hulk, and even trying to use stilts or boxes she'll be way out of proportion. You can try and do some things with forced perspective, but it REALLY limits what you can do with a shot, and it's not going to work everywhere; while LotR famously used forced perspective for some shots, for others, they used CGI, precisely because forced perspective couldn't work.

And if you tried to sell a 5'4" She-Hulk, everyone would be even more annoyed than they are about the CGI.

Why would they ever release a WIP trailer? Anyone could tell what the reaction would be.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Why would they ever release a WIP trailer? Anyone could tell what the reaction would be.
    Because they can't announce the show the day it comes out, and god knows they are not going to give the effects company a single minute over the bare minimum, which means they'll still be working on the CGI by the time the first episode is released.

Tatiana is a really good actress but the visuals are questionable. Hope the writing saves this.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because it's kind of hard to convincingly make 5'4" Maslany look like she's 6'7" She-Hulk, and even trying to use stilts or boxes she'll be way out of proportion.
    They had nowhere near the problem with Ruffalo, and they could have used the technique used in Free Guy instead, which should be a bit easier and smoother (and cheaper) now that the technique has been developed. Given the amount of cash they have to throw around, there's no excuse for it being as shoddy as it was in the trailer.

The only hope is that it was a marketing gimmick (it's certainly got a lot of people talking) and it's either unfinished or they purposely used unfinished shots for the trailer for this express purpose. But it's admittedly a long shot.

But hey, that gets in the way of white knighting, so here you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    They had nowhere near the problem with Ruffalo, and they could have used the technique used in Free Guy instead, which should be a bit easier and smoother (and cheaper) now that the technique has been developed. Given the amount of cash they have to throw around, there's no excuse for it being as shoddy as it was in the trailer.

The only hope is that it was a marketing gimmick (it's certainly got a lot of people talking) and it's either unfinished or they purposely used unfinished shots for the trailer for this express purpose. But it's admittedly a long shot.

But hey, that gets in the way of white knighting, so here you are.
    That's a discussion about why the CGI gets a little uncanny-y in the trailer, when I was responding to why practical effects wouldn't work for the show.

As for the "white knighting", I've been saying the CGI looks off the whole damned time, so you're really digging deep to make up something to try and complain about.

There's no possible way to make someone look bigger with practical effects. They certainly haven't been doing so for the past 100 years

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    There's no possible way to make someone look bigger with practical effects. They certainly haven't been doing so for the past 100 years
    As people have pointed out, there ARE ways, but they can't be used in every situation. And you can't just redo every scene to accommodate for practical effects. At some point, CGI is just the best option. And you better get that right, or things will look REALLY shit.

Unless you do some forced perspective effects a'la Lord of the Rings. But I think that could be too much work in this case :P
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

Not to the degree Maslany needs to (she can't just wear platforms or stand on a box in close shots), not without forced perspective, and forced perspective has a lot of really specific limitations on cinematography.

Like the example I cited; the LotR movies, which famously used forced perspective in exactly this way, it was expensive, difficult, and still they had to use CGI in all kinds of spots because forced perspective couldn't possibly be used for every shot.

Not to the degree Maslany needs to (she can't just wear platforms or stand on a box in close shots), not without forced perspective, and forced perspective has a lot of really specific limitations on cinematography.

Like the example I cited; the LotR movies, which famously used forced perspective in exactly this way, it was expensive, difficult, and still they had to use CGI in all kinds of spots because forced perspective couldn't possibly be used for every shot.
    Still my favorite prop from the movie.

Again, they had no problem doing it with Ruffalo in all of the MCU movies (and this series itself), nor was there any problem doing it with Ryan Reynolds in Free Guy using a completely different method, one which probably would work better (ie, pretty much painting her face on a larger actor's body). But they opted for... whatever it is we've seen in the trailer.

Also again, here's hoping it's either unfinished CGI or an intentional choice to get people talking, and they're going to have the finished product in the series itself. If that is, indeed, the finished product they fucked up, and fucked up big. (Or not nearly big enough, as the case is.)

Again, they had no problem doing it with Ruffalo in all of the MCU movies (and this series itself), nor was there any problem doing it with Ryan Reynolds in Free Guy using a completely different method, one which probably would work better (ie, pretty much painting her face on a larger actor's body). But they opted for... whatever it is we've seen in the trailer.

Also again, here's hoping it's either unfinished CGI or an intentional choice to get people talking, and they're going to have the finished product in the series itself. If that is, indeed, the finished product they fucked up, and fucked up big. (Or not nearly big enough, as the case is.)
    My guess is that it's budget restraints.

It's a very different world between a 90-minute movie and a 9-episode series. CGI doesn't just magically happen, it costs a lot of money.

There's really only the one scene in the trailer that even feels that hinky to me, the one where she's picking the guy up in her arms. Beyond that, it's pretty much fine, IMO. And it's not coming out for like another three months, all of which they'd continue working on it. Let's recall that they delayed Sonic the Hedgehog for three months when it was already in the can, because of Internet pushback on the Sonic character design, and they got it out and fixed it entirely in that time frame, and that was going back to the drawing board on character design completely, not just fine-tuning some detail work.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Unless you do some forced perspective effects a'la Lord of the Rings. But I think that could be too much work in this case :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    As people have pointed out, there ARE ways, but they can't be used in every situation. And you can't just redo every scene to accommodate for practical effects. At some point, CGI is just the best option. And you better get that right, or things will look REALLY shit.
    You have forced perspective, stunt doubles, smaller props/clothing, film overlay or splicing?(not sure whats the term I'm not a filmmaker), and I'm sure a dozen other things they have successfully done over the years. I could see arguing that practical effects wouldn't be cost effective but to say they just can't do it is hilariously stupid. Hell they could have just pulled something from the original Hulk and have two actors play the different parts they could even have Maslany dub over the She Hulk actor if they wanted to keep the same voice.