1. #13461
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    15,898
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I don't know , it doesn't seem that they care that much about symmetrical heroes: Iron Man ( soon Ironheart) and War Machine , Capt. America and Winter Soldier ( just change russian superhero soldier for an american one and melt the shield into a arm) and U.S.Agent, Hulk and She Hulk, Ant-man and Wasp...with the exception of Groot and Mantis the Guardians all do the same thing (shoot and stab).
    All of those symmetrical heroes have a relation with each other, directly tied to then, khamala and the other have nothing.
    On top of this it's not exactly overlapping: Kamala grows ( gain mass) while Richards stretch ( conserve mass).
    Pretty sure he can do that too in some comics.

    My bets/assumptions/theories ( probably unfounded) are 4:
    which probably can be all of then, and the one i said, its does not necessary need to be only one.

  2. #13462
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Pretty sure he can do that too in some comics.
    No, he can stretch his body in various ways.

    Ms. Marvel can straight up alter the dimensions of her body.

    Mr. Fantastic is ultimately limited by how much mass he possesses, Ms. Marvel on the other hand can alter her mass so aside from stretching her body she can also make herself as big as a building or as small as an ant.

    But with the limits of what can reasonably be done in live action I imagine we wouldn't see much more than what'd we get with Mr. Fantastic.

    Even then who cares if the powers are similar, it's their background and personalities that make them unique. That's why we can have so many different Spidermen running around.

  3. #13463
    The Insane Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    15,898
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    No, he can stretch his body in various ways.

    Ms. Marvel can straight up alter the dimensions of her body.

    Mr. Fantastic is ultimately limited by how much mass he possesses, Ms. Marvel on the other hand can alter her mass so aside from stretching her body she can also make herself as big as a building or as small as an ant.
    I may be confusing with another unvierse or other male character, but i could sworn is aw mr fanastic as tall and wide as a building once.

    Even then who cares if the powers are similar, it's their background and personalities that make them unique. That's why we can have so many different Spidermen running around.
    Spiderfolk, like other examples, would still be related in some way. I can see this as one of the reasons they decided to change.

    Honestly, i think the way they look in the series more unique

  4. #13464
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I may be confusing with another unvierse or other male character, but i could sworn is aw mr fanastic as tall and wide as a building once.



    Spiderfolk, like other examples, would still be related in some way. I can see this as one of the reasons they decided to change.

    Honestly, i think the way they look in the series more unique
    He can change his shape and his density. He can’t increase his mass. Stretching to be a big ol’ building doesn’t mean he weighs the same as a big ol’ building.

  5. #13465
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Which makes no sense. Sure her powers a similar but I imagine it's the way they are different and how she generally uses them is what would make it hard to adapt. Her powers work better in animation, in live action it would just look weird.
    I think that part of it was to give her powers that bring her more in line with Captain Marvel.
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  6. #13466
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I may be confusing with another unvierse or other male character, but i could sworn is aw mr fanastic as tall and wide as a building once.
    Yeah and that's elasticity. No matter if he is 6 foot or 50 foot the mass is the same : the mass of a regular human ( so less density ...so less strength the more he stretches).

    The common misconception is thinking Kamala's power is elasticity. Her power is actually morphogenics: the ability to change the shape of the body. Kamala is a shape changer so if we are gonna look for a overlap it would more with Mystique or the Skrulls than Richards. It's an special case of morphogenics where she can add/substract mass from future/past version of herself ( more mass more strength) so her iconic giant fist is actually time travelling but in the end its morphogenics ( wich allows her for example to change her appearance and becoming someone else or even an inanimate object).

    Think of her in a Mystique that can adquire aditional mass to shape change bigger shapes.

    Now I fully understand , for the average viewer , all these technicalities are largely irrelevant...it doesn't matter fuck: people are gonna still perceive her as the elastic girl so yeah it can be one of the reasons in fact...do you notice that I mentioned 4 reasons but listed 3? Yours is the 4th.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I think that part of it was to give her powers that bring her more in line with Captain Marvel.
    Yeah, as I said I still think this is the main reason: to make her look like one of (incoming next yers) "The Marvels".
    Last edited by PrimiOne; 2022-06-06 at 08:30 PM.

  7. #13467
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,328
    just finished episode 1 of Ms Marvel. solid episode, loved the callbacks ("next week I'm gonna kick off a special two part series on why I think Thor is secretly a gamer" and "there is no smaller Hulk") in particular. can't wait to see the rest of the series

  8. #13468
    That was a very fun first episode. I hope they can keep it up.

    I just watched those recent It movies the other day, and you don't know how glad I am that they didn't go for the over-the-top bully trope with her school-mate interactions.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-06-08 at 08:57 AM.

  9. #13469
    Fun first episode. Don’t forget to stay for the mid-credits scene.

  10. #13470
    Solid first episode for Ms. Marvel. Some really nice camera work, and they clearly got the aesthetic down.

    This is another 6 episode run, right?

  11. #13471
    Really digging the cinematography. It's quirky without being too on the nose. Well executed.

    The family dynamic is also much better than I expected, it's nuanced and colorful but not blatant. I was afraid they'd mess that up but they didn't.

    Not sure yet where the story is going, of course. This is my biggest worry: that it'll just sink into the usual I'm-a-fresh-and-insecure-superhero tropes from top to bottom. Too early to tell, and maybe they'll do something fresh. Who knows.

  12. #13472
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Solid first episode for Ms. Marvel. Some really nice camera work, and they clearly got the aesthetic down.

    This is another 6 episode run, right?
    yeah 6 episodes, and then we have to wait for The Marvels to see Kamala again

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Really digging the cinematography. It's quirky without being too on the nose. Well executed.

    The family dynamic is also much better than I expected, it's nuanced and colorful but not blatant. I was afraid they'd mess that up but they didn't.

    Not sure yet where the story is going, of course. This is my biggest worry: that it'll just sink into the usual I'm-a-fresh-and-insecure-superhero tropes from top to bottom. Too early to tell, and maybe they'll do something fresh. Who knows.
    I didn't get that vibe from Hawkeye (talking about Kate Bishop) and yeah I don't think (hope) we'll see that here.

  13. #13473
    Enjoyed the first episode quite a lot, though I felt the CGI with her power towards the end was a bit dodgy. I'll have to see more of that to decide how I feel about it, but the characters and their interactions were excellent. Fantastic acting by everyone involved.

    We have not actually finished Hawkeye yet because it presented a similar character trope as Ms. Marvel that we don't particularly enjoy: the "everything is fun and games" attitude of the younger heroes, that comes off as very immature for their ages. We felt the same way about Tom Holland's Spider-Man, though I'm hoping that losing May will straighten that out as he never had the loss of Uncle Ben that every other Spider-Man has had. I hope there's a slap of reality for Kamala at some point in this series.

  14. #13474
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Enjoyed the first episode quite a lot, though I felt the CGI with her power towards the end was a bit dodgy. I'll have to see more of that to decide how I feel about it, but the characters and their interactions were excellent. Fantastic acting by everyone involved.

    We have not actually finished Hawkeye yet because it presented a similar character trope as Ms. Marvel that we don't particularly enjoy: the "everything is fun and games" attitude of the younger heroes, that comes off as very immature for their ages. We felt the same way about Tom Holland's Spider-Man, though I'm hoping that losing May will straighten that out as he never had the loss of Uncle Ben that every other Spider-Man has had. I hope there's a slap of reality for Kamala at some point in this series.
    The CGI part was just a couple of seconds overall so no judgment there.
    Overall though a solid first episode of a unknown character and I look forward to the next episode, I hope that they follow this line because it's a fun show. A solid 7-8 for setting up the main characters and her family.
    Last edited by ati87; 2022-06-09 at 12:29 PM.

  15. #13475
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    12,102
    what started out as . 'this looks very dull and boring' from watching the trailer to 'this is actually pretty good' by watching the show. Very surprised. Its not perfect but its very colourful and different, and good perspective that doesn't feel forced or contrived either, helps when you have people behind the scenes on this show that actually know what they are doing.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-09 at 12:51 PM.
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  16. #13476

  17. #13477
    MCU fatigue has slowly been creeping up on me, but Ms. Marvel Ep.1 had a fun energy. I liked what they did with animated background elements when Kamala and Bruno were texting or talking about suits. It was nice getting a small taste of a different culture. The family dynamic was solid, and gave me over-protective mom PTSD. The special effects for Kamala's powers weren't very special.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

  18. #13478
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Just to start that whole argument off again lol

    MS. MARVEL STAR IMAN VELLANI DOESN’T BELIEVE THE MCU IS EARTH-616
    she's wrong.

  19. #13479
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,705
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    she's wrong.
    You can tell by how there's apparently two different Kamala Khans in Earth-616 who both go by Ms. Marvel and have similar backgrounds but wildly different sets of powers.

    I mean, they can't be the same character, because their powers are different. So you've gotta be claiming there's two of 'em, right?


  20. #13480
    I am Murloc! Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    5,772
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    she's wrong.
    Yes, and no.

    It is depends on who is defining it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •