1. #13541
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    12,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Sam Raimi confirmed that the universe of Defender Strange is Earth-617 - which is awesome

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi..._according_to/



    I loved Hickmans reboot of the X-Men (House/Powers of X) aswell as the X of Swords event. I really hope they are basing the MCU 616 mutants on that. Just imagine if they start with this bomb:
    [/IMG]
    I need to get back to reading X-Men again but I have been hearing mixed things about Hickman, I didn't enjoy his Avenegrs run so I am feeling very cautious going in :P

    I am personally more a traditionalist, I like the classic X-Men formula, and would prefer that in the MCU to be based on that, but we'll see.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-23 at 01:36 PM.
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  2. #13542
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I need to get back to reading X-Men again but I have been hearing mixed things about Hickman, I didn't enjoy his Avenegrs run so I am feeling very cautious going in :P

    I am personally more a traditionalist, I like the classic X-Men formula, and would prefer that in the MCU to be based on that, but we'll see.
    Yeah, but to be fair we got the classic X-Men formula already via Fox (for good or worse). The MCU has shown to not re-hash stuff that was done before, and I think House of X would be a quite elegant way to handle the mutants going forward. Just say they hid on Krakoa for now and we are good to go (I'm really not a fan of the idea that mutants would come via the multiverse).

  3. #13543
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I need to get back to reading X-Men again but I have been hearing mixed things about Hickman, I didn't enjoy his Avenegrs run so I am feeling very cautious going in :P

    I am personally more a traditionalist, I like the classic X-Men formula, and would prefer that in the MCU to be based on that, but we'll see.
    I personally dropped Xmen after the A Vs X story line as I hated the direction of the story post schism went with them diverging so hard from Prof X Philosophy and leaning increasingly into magnetos.

    Decided To give Hickman’s line a chance and over all I still hate the main story direction with mutant separatism but the micro Storys have been good enough that I’ve been reading all 7-10 series they are putting out minus X corp.

    The over arching story feels heavily like one big event building up to prof X magneto and mora being the ultimate bad guys and all of the various teams/characters slowly waking up to finding that out.

    Over all So far id say it’s worth the read (through unlimited I wouldn’t buy them) though I’m really hoping all of it leads to them going back to there roots and trying to live with humans not above them.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  4. #13544
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am personally more a traditionalist, I like the classic X-Men formula, and would prefer that in the MCU to be based on that, but we'll see.
    Classic means First Class of classic means Giant Size X-men? Because I think the former will be a terrible mistake. One of the reasons the First Class did not get traction is that , for an phenomena that is supposed to affect the whole planet , every single x-men turns out to be white and american. Sure it can be reasoned:"No, Xavier just reached the ones near him" but anyway readers were completely uninterested in how uncanny they were.

    The second Genesis portrays way better the surge of Homo Superior. Irish,Japanese,Canadian,Native American,Russian, Kenyan,German...now I really feel the X-Gene. Some people will rage ( and-I-don't-care-at-all) but the truth is X-Men succeed as a series when diversity was introduced.



    So my ideal roster for the MCU would be kind of Claremont's: Cyclops, Grey, Wolverine, Colossus,Nightcrawler, Storm and Pryde.

    And yeah I know your favourite X-Men is missing ( not you you...you in general)..."DUDE....you can't let X out!!! it's so cool!!" but this is gonna happen anyway. I'm a big fan of Sage and a) there's zero chance we see in her in the first batch ( or the 2nd or the 3rd..) b) the only depiction of her in TV/Movies is that abomination called "The Gifted"....so ...many will be missed.

  5. #13545
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I personally dropped Xmen after the A Vs X story line as I hated the direction of the story post schism went with them diverging so hard from Prof X Philosophy and leaning increasingly into magnetos.

    Decided To give Hickman’s line a chance and over all I still hate the main story direction with mutant separatism but the micro Storys have been good enough that I’ve been reading all 7-10 series they are putting out minus X corp.

    The over arching story feels heavily like one big event building up to prof X magneto and mora being the ultimate bad guys and all of the various teams/characters slowly waking up to finding that out.

    Over all So far id say it’s worth the read (through unlimited I wouldn’t buy them) though I’m really hoping all of it leads to them going back to there roots and trying to live with humans not above them.
    As a huge Magneto fangirl, I can't see what's wrong with the mutants leaning more into his philosophy though. See what you did, Michael Fassbender.

  6. #13546
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    Classic means First Class of classic means Giant Size X-men? Because I think the former will be a terrible mistake. One of the reasons the First Class did not get traction is that , for an phenomena that is supposed to affect the whole planet , every single x-men turns out to be white and american. Sure it can be reasoned:"No, Xavier just reached the ones near him" but anyway readers were completely uninterested in how uncanny they were.

    The second Genesis portrays way better the surge of Homo Superior. Irish,Japanese,Canadian,Native American,Russian, Kenyan,German...now I really feel the X-Gene. Some people will rage ( and-I-don't-care-at-all) but the truth is X-Men succeed as a series when diversity was introduced.
    Throw me into the “original team is boring” category. X-Men could exist in MCU right now simply because they are a hidden school and that’s it. They legit are teaching people to control powers and stay out of everything. They come into the MCU because the older students know Iron Man died, Captain America is gone, and they want to help. Their intro is so easy without doing some convoluted universe melding nonsense. So much of this can write itself with the themes of the X-Men staying intact.

  7. #13547
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    12,102
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    Classic means First Class of classic means Giant Size X-men? Because I think the former will be a terrible mistake. One of the reasons the First Class did not get traction is that , for an phenomena that is supposed to affect the whole planet , every single x-men turns out to be white and american. Sure it can be reasoned:"No, Xavier just reached the ones near him" but anyway readers were completely uninterested in how uncanny they were.

    The second Genesis portrays way better the surge of Homo Superior. Irish,Japanese,Canadian,Native American,Russian, Kenyan,German...now I really feel the X-Gene. Some people will rage ( and-I-don't-care-at-all) but the truth is X-Men succeed as a series when diversity was introduced.



    So my ideal roster for the MCU would be kind of Claremont's: Cyclops, Grey, Wolverine, Colossus,Nightcrawler, Storm and Pryde.

    And yeah I know your favourite X-Men is missing ( not you you...you in general)..."DUDE....you can't let X out!!! it's so cool!!" but this is gonna happen anyway. I'm a big fan of Sage and a) there's zero chance we see in her in the first batch ( or the 2nd or the 3rd..) b) the only depiction of her in TV/Movies is that abomination called "The Gifted"....so ...many will be missed.
    I mean giant size X-Men would be a good start for the MCU what with all the diverse cast. :P
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  8. #13548
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Throw me into the “original team is boring” category. X-Men could exist in MCU right now simply because they are a hidden school and that’s it. They legit are teaching people to control powers and stay out of everything. They come into the MCU because the older students know Iron Man died, Captain America is gone, and they want to help. Their intro is so easy without doing some convoluted universe melding nonsense. So much of this can write itself with the themes of the X-Men staying intact.
    That’s hopefully how they will do it. My only question is if they include say Magneto how would they get around the fact that he should be about 100 since he was born in the late 20’s early 30’s

  9. #13549
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    That’s hopefully how they will do it. My only question is if they include say Magneto how would they get around the fact that he should be about 100 since he was born in the late 20’s early 30’s
    They can either say he ages slower, or have him be frozen in time like Captain America (which would be dumb imo). Or they could de-age him like in the comics.

  10. #13550
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,705
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    That’s hopefully how they will do it. My only question is if they include say Magneto how would they get around the fact that he should be about 100 since he was born in the late 20’s early 30’s
    Honestly, it may just be time to retire the character, for this reason.

    The only other way to go, IMO, would be to find some way to do a time-skip. Maybe keep the WWII and death-camps origin, but when his powers are expressed, the Nazis (or even Hydra) start experimenting, he almost destroys the complex, but they manage to tranq him and put him into a coldsleep cabinet and hide it away, with the idea that he's too powerful to waste by destroying, but they hope some future generation can develop the tech necessary to pull that off.

    50 years later, whatever was powering the cabinet finally fails, triggering the automatic release. It's 1994, and Magneto's still 12 years old (or whatever), the trauma still as fresh as yesterday, but now awoken into a confusing future that uses the Nazis as pop-culture villains but without any real understanding. If you're still setting it at the current MCU era which is what, around year 2025 right now or something? Magneto would biologically be in his mid-40s, an easy point IMO to start the character and give him a strong potential run in the MCU as he ages up from there. The time-skip would add to his anger and emotional disconnect, and you've still got the past 30ish years of growing up for him to have made friendships with the likes of Xavier. And weirdo Nazi/Hydra tech is already a known "thing" in the MCU, so it ties right into the current lore.


  11. #13551
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    20,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    As a huge Magneto fangirl, I can't see what's wrong with the mutants leaning more into his philosophy though. See what you did, Michael Fassbender.
    Magneto’s philosophy has far to much unrepentant murder and race superiority for my liking, as a anti hero or the dark member on a team he works fine but when you have characters with higher morals start to take in the same way of thinking you start to lose me.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  12. #13552
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    That’s hopefully how they will do it. My only question is if they include say Magneto how would they get around the fact that he should be about 100 since he was born in the late 20’s early 30’s
    Options.

    A) Completely ignore the trauma. Worst option possible because being an holocaust survivor is quintaessential to the character and his hate for Homo sapiens: he is a direct witness of the horror men can unleash.

    B) Slower aging associated to the X-Gene.

    C) Alternate dimension/Time travelling. Everything is possible in the multiverse!! Most would hate it ...but everything is still possible!! Take him from E-813? ( the MoM Illuminate universe) or take him from E-10005 ( yeah Michael Fassbender) and see the forums burn.

    D) Magneto? Who is this Magneto you are talking about? Is he some distant cousin of En Sabah Nur?

    E) Magnus Lehnsherr. The title stands....the son continues the legacy.

    Now based on history I think they will go for:

    F) Change the trauma. Nick Fury is not a WWII veteran ( but Vietnam's). Frank Castle is not a veteran of Vietnam ( but Afganisthan). "Luckily" the XX century is not precisely out of genocides so they can go kind of the route Wanda and Pietro (his sons/not sons) went: you fucked Sokovia , now we fuck you.

  13. #13553
    Old God Al Gorefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    10,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Honestly, it may just be time to retire the character, for this reason.

    The only other way to go, IMO, would be to find some way to do a time-skip. Maybe keep the WWII and death-camps origin, but when his powers are expressed, the Nazis (or even Hydra) start experimenting, he almost destroys the complex, but they manage to tranq him and put him into a coldsleep cabinet and hide it away, with the idea that he's too powerful to waste by destroying, but they hope some future generation can develop the tech necessary to pull that off.

    50 years later, whatever was powering the cabinet finally fails, triggering the automatic release. It's 1994, and Magneto's still 12 years old (or whatever), the trauma still as fresh as yesterday, but now awoken into a confusing future that uses the Nazis as pop-culture villains but without any real understanding. If you're still setting it at the current MCU era which is what, around year 2025 right now or something? Magneto would biologically be in his mid-40s, an easy point IMO to start the character and give him a strong potential run in the MCU as he ages up from there. The time-skip would add to his anger and emotional disconnect, and you've still got the past 30ish years of growing up for him to have made friendships with the likes of Xavier. And weirdo Nazi/Hydra tech is already a known "thing" in the MCU, so it ties right into the current lore.
    I actually agree with you here. I'd rather they retire Magneto, as great a character as he is, because his story and motivation is so heavily tied into events of WW2.
    Maybe it's time for a fresh character leading the brotherhood of evil mutants. Maybe a survivor of apartheid or a school shooting or any more recent event that displays the malice of mankind.

  14. #13554
    It has to be something fundamental if they want mutants to be a global thing.

    It's really hard to just go "actually the new evolution of humanity has been around for a while, they all just kept themselves hidden in a New England boarding school without anyone on the entire planet ever finding out".

    Multiverse solution could be a thing. Some Infinity War-like event that changes everything, maybe two universes merge or whatever and now we have mutants dealing with a world that's never known them (so they're EXTRA prejudiced), and we can also hand-wave Magneto's past (The Nazis existed in both worlds, maybe they just happened 50 years later in theirs, easy solve to the time lag).

    It's not impossible to "update" the issue with more recent sources of social conflict, but somehow there really isn't anything that properly compares to the Holocaust; even if you tried, you'd risk outrage.

    IDK what they'll end up doing but it has to be something on a pretty big scale.

  15. #13555
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It has to be something fundamental if they want mutants to be a global thing.

    It's really hard to just go "actually the new evolution of humanity has been around for a while, they all just kept themselves hidden in a New England boarding school without anyone on the entire planet ever finding out".

    Multiverse solution could be a thing. Some Infinity War-like event that changes everything, maybe two universes merge or whatever and now we have mutants dealing with a world that's never known them (so they're EXTRA prejudiced), and we can also hand-wave Magneto's past (The Nazis existed in both worlds, maybe they just happened 50 years later in theirs, easy solve to the time lag).

    It's not impossible to "update" the issue with more recent sources of social conflict, but somehow there really isn't anything that properly compares to the Holocaust; even if you tried, you'd risk outrage.

    IDK what they'll end up doing but it has to be something on a pretty big scale.
    No, please no multiverse sheningans. Mutants should be existing on Earth-616 already, just like everything else they added to the MCU over it's existence. The multiverse should be reserved for "what if" variants and plots (like "what if Apocalyse won"), but the main universe should contain everything the comics main universe has - otherwise we end up with something like DC were they thought it was cool to split up all their superheroes/teams to different earths for their tv shows, which honestly sucks. Right now, Earth-838 looks more comic accurate than the main continuity, but I hope that will change again once we get Mutants, Inhumans and the F4 back.

  16. #13556
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post

    B) Slower aging associated to the X-Gene.
    this is probably the most likely option. I mean we saw Professor X in the recent movie and he would've been about the same age

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    No, please no multiverse sheningans. Mutants should be existing on Earth-616 already, just like everything else they added to the MCU over it's existence. The multiverse should be reserved for "what if" variants and plots (like "what if Apocalyse won"), but the main universe should contain everything the comics main universe has - otherwise we end up with something like DC were they thought it was cool to split up all their superheroes/teams to different earths for their tv shows, which honestly sucks. Right now, Earth-838 looks more comic accurate than the main continuity, but I hope that will change again once we get Mutants, Inhumans and the F4 back.
    Kamala Khan is almost certainly an Inhuman. given that the bracelet she is using which triggered her powers came off the arm of a dead Kree, it is with some certainty that we will see Inhumans, as well as Mutants, very soon. September 10 can't come fast enough

  17. #13557
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    this is probably the most likely option. I mean we saw Professor X in the recent movie and he would've been about the same age

    - - - Updated - - -



    Kamala Khan is almost certainly an Inhuman. given that the bracelet she is using which triggered her powers came off the arm of a dead Kree, it is with some certainty that we will see Inhumans, as well as Mutants, very soon. September 10 can't come fast enough
    Yeah, I'm also in the "Kamala is still Inhuman, and the bracelets will break and reveal a terrigen mist in the last episode" camp! But yeah, the day they release the first MCU mutants movie will change everything haha (and we will look back at the sad days of hoping that surprise mutants would appear in a new movie/show haha).

  18. #13558
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Yeah, I'm also in the "Kamala is still Inhuman, and the bracelets will break and reveal a terrigen mist in the last episode" camp! But yeah, the day they release the first MCU mutants movie will change everything haha (and we will look back at the sad days of hoping that surprise mutants would appear in a new movie/show haha).
    well I kinda jokingly pointed out earlier that Djinn and the gen of Terrigen sound the same... but yeah given the Kree reference it's no longer a joke. I wonder where the other bracelet is, they said there were 2 of them. Maybe her grandmother has the other one?

  19. #13559
    Old God Al Gorefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    10,913
    Apparently people are split down the middle with the male nudity scene in Love & Thunder. One camp (the right one btw) loving the gratuitous shot brought to us by Hemsworth himself (he WANTED to do the scene) with others being upset about nudity in a Disney movie, the scene itself being sexual assault played for laughs and the double standard of it were Jane Foster being stripped naked in front of the masses.

  20. #13560
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Apparently people are split down the middle with the male nudity scene in Love & Thunder. One camp (the right one btw) loving the gratuitous shot brought to us by Hemsworth himself (he WANTED to do the scene) with others being upset about nudity in a Disney movie, the scene itself being sexual assault and the double standard of it were Jane Foster being stripped naked in front of the masses.
    Can just add to the list of subjects thats ok for males but not females.

    Likewise If Jane Foster was made obese from struggling from depression we'd never hear the end of it. Yet for men its a source of comedy in the biggest summer blockbuster ever.

    Its almost like they dont actually give a shit about issues and just bandwagon whatever is the latest trend/outrage as a way to make more money.

    "Oh no we're involved in another culture war! I guess you'll just have to see the movie to pick a side!"
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •