I really hope it's not an origin story. Sure, the "bad guys" can be people from her past, but I already know she's in SHIELD. I already know she has red in her ledger. Give her a present day arc. And no love interest, please.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    2 pistols against a literal army of aliens made her pretty much laughable in terms of usefulness to the Avengers, which is why they felt the need to give her that awkward hulk-calmer-downer job just so that it felt like she had a purpose.

She's more of a spy, so hopefully her movie will reflect those skillsets as a top priority.
    Black Widow would have what, one if the ten most recognizable faces in the MCU world? But sure a undercover spy film might work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Thats what i was thinking too.
    I mean, they've mentioned it a few times now... and people are so bored of Origin Stories, they're finally starting to learn NOT to do that.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that ISN'T Budapest, with guest appearance by Hawkeye will be a bit of a let down, especially if they go for an origin story.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

It will also need to be a different film to red sparrow. Which looks very much like a black widow origin story. And looks pretty good judging from trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I mean, they've mentioned it a few times now... and people are so bored of Origin Stories, they're finally starting to learn NOT to do that.
    Origin stories worked for the first phase where it introduced everyone. After that there wasn't a point, however, Ant-Man made some sense as it was an origin story, but not an origin story due to Ant-Man existing prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Origin stories worked for the first phase where it introduced everyone. After that there wasn't a point, however, Ant-Man made some sense as it was an origin story, but not an origin story due to Ant-Man existing prior.
    Strange was an origin story too and was okay.

Ultimately I think the nuance here is avoiding origin stories for characters who are either already established or have already had origin stories (Spider-Man, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Black Widow would have what, one if the ten most recognizable faces in the MCU world? But sure a undercover spy film might work.
    Before defecting to shield? Weird I wonder why Stark didn't recognize her in Iron Man 2 since she was so world renowned.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Being a famed figure would be a detriment to being a spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Being a famed figure would be a detriment to being a spy.
    Which is pretty much why I said it'd most likely be a movie based on her prior to joining the avengers.

You know, since she literally was a spy during that time.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Yeah, and that's all fair enough... But we don't REALLY need an origin story for a character like Black Widow. We can jump right in!

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

you guys do realize that black widow lives in a universe with fucking face changers, life model decoys, magic, and super powers right?

"but but but, is famous?" does not prevent her from being in a modern day spy film.

this is black fucking widow were talking about, one of if not the greatest spy and soldier shield ever had, its not like shes fucking thor or hulk causing a huge scene smashing things and swinging a hammer.

all she needs is a wig and a photostatic veil and she can be any person.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Cap can apparently disappear into a crowd just by wearing a baseball cap, same with the Winter Soldier.

I'm sure an actual spy would be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    Tbh, she probably doesn't even need that... We forget, because we're following a story where she is a central figure, but I guarentee that there are huge swathes of people who have HEARD of Black Widow, but have never seen her face, or know anything about her other than that she's a super spy and all round badass.

Widow has been in the spy game for a long time, I'm sure she knows how to do her job, even now that she is moderately famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Tbh, she probably doesn't even need that... We forget, because we're following a story where she is a central figure, but I guarentee that there are huge swathes of people who have HEARD of Black Widow, but have never seen her face, or know anything about her other than that she's a super spy and all round badass.

Widow has been in the spy game for a long time, I'm sure she knows how to do her job, even now that she is moderately famous.
    and even then plenty of celebrities even in real life can walk around and not get noticed if they dress a little differently or wear a wig.

shes wearing a wig/dyed hair in infinity wars trailer and who knows what country shes actually in, plus being a trained assassin/spy its most likely that she knows how to change her voice and speak other languages.

if you lived in the mcu and saw some blonde speaking german walking down the street you wouldnt instantly think "OMG ITS AN AVENGER"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Cap can apparently disappear into a crowd just by wearing a baseball cap, same with the Winter Soldier.

I'm sure an actual spy would be fine.
    I would argue that winter soldier is a spy. he managed to evade capture and go nearly undetected for decades while hydra built up its infrastructure in shield.

and considering bucky might be cap soon i could see making him part of her solo movie, to kind of ease people into the idea before bucky gets his own movie
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

you guys do realize that black widow lives in a universe with fucking face changers, life model decoys, magic, and super powers right?

"but but but, is famous?" does not prevent her from being in a modern day spy film.

this is black fucking widow were talking about, one of if not the greatest spy and soldier shield ever had, its not like shes fucking thor or hulk causing a huge scene smashing things and swinging a hammer.

They are gonna burrow heavily from the Mission Impossible franchise. Get ready for super realistic face masks!

Scarlett Jo is gonna have the same body/build as philip seymour hoffman just by wearing his mask. They already did it in winter solider when she pretended to be a different lady to get close to redford

10+ Year Old Account
    and even then plenty of celebrities even in real life can walk around and not get noticed if they dress a little differently or wear a wig.
    Exactly. It's almost... ALMOST, as if someone whose job it is not to be recognised, and to hide their appearance might actually be quite good at hiding their appearance and not being recognised.

shocking, I know.

Random question but way back in the day when they were creating thor, how did they get the rights to the norse mythology characters or can you write any story that burrows heavily from mythology. So I could write my own series of stories based off greek mythology and not be hit by cease and desist letters? Seems kinda crazy how thor, loki, odin were recreated like for like with some small tweaks like living in asgard instead of valhalla

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Random question but way back in the day when they were creating thor, how did they get the rights to the norse mythology characters or can you write any story that burrows heavily from mythology. So I could write my own series of stories based off greek mythology and not be hit by cease and desist letters? Seems kinda crazy how thor, loki, odin were recreated like for like with some small tweaks like living in asgard instead of valhalla
    You can't copyright a Mythology that was written thousands of years ago.

The majority of copyright contracts last for 70-100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    You can't copyright a Mythology that was written thousands of years ago.

The majority of copyright contracts last for 70-100 years.
    Makes sense. A lot of art "burrows" from it but marvel using the actual names seemed a bit odd. Like the God of War video games incorporated mythology into the story but it was very much a new tale with Kratos a fictional character inserted into that world, and it worked great. Same with the new movie the killing of a sacred deer.

Good little loophole to get great ideas from.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    It's worth noting that the original Norse stories were retold by various people over the course of a few centuries (that we know of) and the evidence points to them being based on myths from an early civilisation we have no direct evidence of (the proto-Indo-Europeans.)

There's actually quite a lot of major differences between the old Norse and modern Marvel gods though Asgard isn't one of them, Asgard has always been the home of the Aesir or sky-gods. There's probably bigger deviations than God of War made to the Greek pantheon (who also feature in comics, Hercules is a Marvel superhero and Ares is a villain for both Marvel and DC.)

BTW where do you think the cease-and-desist letters would come from? Even if we could pin down a person as the original author they would be dead for a millenia or so.