10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I want that bald lady...NOW.
    Moondragon was great. I can imagine Disney wouldn't approve that costume though :P

She'll probably end up looking like this version.

She's also lesbian so that'll make certain diversity crowds happy
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-02-13 at 01:24 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Moondragon and Phyla-Vell are in the new lineup for Guardians. So there is always a chance they’ll join the MCU, someday.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Moondragon and Phyla-Vell are in the new lineup for Guardians. So there is always a chance they’ll join the MCU, someday.
    I'm afraid Disney don't want Guardians become "Avengers of the Space" because....well they already have Avengers in the space so they choose to make something more close to a sci-fi movie than a superhero movie wich is , I know , a paradox because superhero genre is a subset of the sci-fi genre.

Sony Pictures could had made Guardians ,call it "Keepers of peace of Space" and label it as sci-fi movie and the only reason why we call it superheroes is that it features characters from Marvel comics.

If we ignore the natural characteristics of Flora Colossi no Guardian have any kind of superpower ( we could say Gamora is "enhanced" in the MCU) and allthough you don't need powers to be a superhero ( Punisher,Hawkeye,Mockingbird....) Disney just don't want characters flying or shooting lazers out of their eyes.

There's only two kinds of action movies:

1. Mighty of the mightiest showing his godly nature.
    2. Losers rise up to the challenge.

They went for option 2 for Guardians so a subtle superpower ( Mantis) is in but Nova Prime ( I mean Ryder not the MCU one) or Adam Warlock or Phyla Well or Moondragon are out of the deal or they are not Guardians but a narrative mechanism ( Warlock was hinted as the next "bad boy who will become good" at the end of vol.2).

Guardians are just "regular" guys saving the galaxy by outsmarting gods ( Ego) not using the Nova Force or Quantum Magic.

But anyway...since Gunn was fired we don't know the direction anymore. Maybe Disney go for continuity or maybe they turn around to option 1 and we see a God Slayer's Gamora and we see a true Destroyer and we see Richard Ryder telling the Worldmind to shut the fuck up.
    I actually don't have any preference....a great movie can be done in both ways if there's talent and a vision.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I'm afraid Disney don't want Guardians become "Avengers of the Space" because....well they already have Avengers in the space so they choose to make something more close to a sci-fi movie than a superhero movie wich is , I know , a paradox because superhero genre is a subset of the sci-fi genre.

Sony Pictures could had made Guardians ,call it "Keepers of peace of Space" and label it as sci-fi movie and the only reason why we call it superheroes is that it features characters from Marvel comics.

If we ignore the natural characteristics of Flora Colossi no Guardian have any kind of superpower ( we could say Gamora is "enhanced" in the MCU) and allthough you don't need powers to be a superhero ( Punisher,Hawkeye,Mockingbird....) Disney just don't want characters flying or shooting lazers out of their eyes.

There's only two kinds of action movies:

1. Mighty of the mightiest showing his godly nature.
    2. Losers rise up to the challenge.

They went for option 2 for Guardians so a subtle superpower ( Mantis) is in but Nova Prime ( I mean Ryder not the MCU one) or Adam Warlock or Phyla Well or Moondragon are out of the deal or they are not Guardians but a narrative mechanism ( Warlock was hinted as the next "bad boy who will become good" at the end of vol.2).

Guardians are just "regular" guys saving the galaxy by outsmarting gods ( Ego) not using the Nova Force or Quantum Magic.

But anyway...since Gunn was fired we don't know the direction anymore. Maybe Disney go for continuity or maybe they turn around to option 1 and we see a God Slayer's Gamora and we see a true Destroyer and we see Richard Ryder telling the Worldmind to shut the fuck up.
    I actually don't have any preference....a great movie can be done in both ways if there's talent and a vision.
    Chris Pratt has stated that Gunn's script for vol 3 will be used. Also, we know that Gunn intended to only use the current lineup for one trilogy of films. Furthermore, we know that Feige has stated that Phase 4 will be more cosmic, iirc his commentary correctly.

What I don't believe we know is that "Disney just don't want characters flying or shooting lazers out of their eyes". In fact, since Thor, Vision, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel all can fly, we can discount a least half of this claim.

I would have loved that original Star-Lord. He was interesting...there was a bit of depth to the character, as well as gritty dark.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    What I don't believe we know is that "Disney just don't want characters flying or shooting lazers out of their eyes". In fact, since Thor, Vision, Doctor Strange, and Captain Marvel all can fly, we can discount a least half of this claim.
    Read again my post tyrlaan. Disney don't want Guardians to fly and shoot lazors.

The whole post was about stating they want Guardians to be regular guys as opposed to Avengers.

Read again my post tyrlaan. Disney don't want Guardians to fly and shoot lazors.

The whole post was about stating they want Guardians to be regular guys as opposed to Avengers.
    Okay, but do we have any evidence of this claim or is this just your guess?

The thing is, your theory only works if they are all regular guys. Once Groot is there, your whole theory(and as far as I can find, it is only your theory, no evidence to back it up) just no longer works.

It's like saying "we want to do a Star Wars movie about normal people, no force users" then having one of the main guys wielding a lightsaber or telekinetically throwing people around, or "we want to do a horror movie focused on atmosphere, not gore" then have the killer butcher 3 people on screen with a chainsaw in the opening scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    The thing is, your theory only works if they are all regular guys. Once Groot is there, your whole theory(and as far as I can find, it is only your theory, no evidence to back it up) just no longer works.

It's like saying "we want to do a Star Wars movie about normal people, no force users" then having one of the main guys wielding a lightsaber or telekinetically throwing people around, or "we want to do a horror movie focused on atmosphere, not gore" then have the killer butcher 3 people on screen with a chainsaw in the opening scene.
    I understand the screak in your mind when you read "Groot the regular guy" or that term refered to a green woman and green man and a ... "not a racoon" because there's nothing usual in the characters but let's try to put it this way: every single candidate to be a MCU guardian that could do something else that punch you in the face or shoot you in the ass were kept away from the film.

No telepathy,no cosmic power,no cosmic awareness ,no nova force, no quantum magic , no teleportation no energy projection no....anything beyond a magical flower to gift a kid and a protective leaf encasing (both to further define the nice nature of Groot).I'm just stating a fact: "superbehavior" is kept to a mininum.Even the "badass" Gamora and "badass" Drax were incredibly toned down in the movie.

Now I guess that you don't think this is just a mere coincidence.

But the main thing is that is not my "theory" (I would call it analysis instead but semanthics is boring) ...is the critic "theory": you just have to google "Guardians of the Galaxy not a superhero movie" and read the dozens ( literally) articles about that.Even Gunn have openly expressed a huge inspiration in sci-fy, to be precise Farscape:

(Can't post links) twitter.com / jamesgunn / status/ 750084833586491392

In the end I hope you don't understand I don't like the movie because it's not exactly a superhero movie: quite the opposite it's my favorite MCU movie so I will ask you a question ( aimed at Tyrlaan too): what is exactly the part you disagree with?.

1. It's not true that this is a movie about losers rising up to the challenge( see Vol.1 trailer).
    2. There's a lot of Guardians characters superpowered behavior (where?)
    3. It's just a mere coincidence the superpowered candidates to be Guardians didn't make it.
    4. It a classical superhero movie because that's what Disney wanted.

So in the end you are asking me for evidence of Disney not wanting to make a flying people movie ....about a movie where there's no flying people.

Ok..you'll excuse me the next joke but i'll try: Is there flying Guardians? No. There you go: Disney didn't wanted to make a movie about flying people.

That's another big mark against this MCU..making everyone human-level. And then having them go against some big bads and outwitting said big bads because they've never ever encountered such creative geniuses as humans /sarcasm.
    In the comics...at least the timeframe I tend to favor, the big bads needed big guns...and super-genius intellects that weren't all named Tony Stark to oppose them.
    Humans weren't at the top of the food/fighting chain here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That's another big mark against this MCU..making everyone human-level. And then having them go against some big bads and outwitting said big bads because they've never ever encountered such creative geniuses as humans /sarcasm.
    In the comics...at least the timeframe I tend to favor, the big bads needed big guns...and super-genius intellects that weren't all named Tony Stark to oppose them.
    Humans weren't at the top of the food/fighting chain here.
    I wish you'd do a better job of stating plainly that you dislike the MCU rather than trying to repeatedly tear it down with "objective" arguments to validate your opinion.

I could always post more images...I mean a guy wearing armor...an armored fist dripping blood after punching a guy through a wall should illustrate nicely the problem mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    If you could pick just one Marvel title to recommend, what would it be? I'm thinking of picking up some Marvel in my reading but I'm so far out of the loop with their work (last read Marvel in the early 90s) that I wouldn't know what to start.
    This really should be a separate discussion - the sheer volume of suggestions and discussion this can inspire would dramatically derail a thread dedicated to the Marvel movie universe.

If you could pick just one Marvel title to recommend, what would it be? I'm thinking of picking up some Marvel in my reading but I'm so far out of the loop with their work (last read Marvel in the early 90s) that I wouldn't know what to start.
    Of the current titles? I like Amazing Spider-man by Nick Spencer. I loved the latest Daredevil run as well!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter

Meh? I don't really give a shit about Shang-chi.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you could pick just one Marvel title to recommend, what would it be?
    If you want EPIC mythical nonsense: Jason Aaron’s “Thor: God of Thunder” run.
    The first two volumes, collectively known as “The Gorr Saga” are one of the best runs in comic history, IMO. The effects of that arc are still being felt to this very day.

If you want spacefaring fuckery: Donny Cates’ “Thanos Wins/Cosmic Ghostrider” technically, that’s two books. However, the story carries across both books, and they’re both excellent, and still way shorter than the other suggestions... so enjoy!

If you want hilarious, earthbound shenanigans, which will occasionally leave you uglycrying on the toilet: Gerry Duggan’s “Deadpool”.
    I was never a fan of the Merc with a Mouth, I thought he was just a joke character... but a friend pushed me to read Duggan’s run and I’m SO glad he did. Totally changed the way I see the Regeneratin’ Degenerate.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny as I been recollecting a lot of early X-Men stories for the late 80's and early 90's. Recently got the TPB of X-Tinction Agenda, Fatal Attractions, and Infenro pt 1 & 2. also I got a reprint of Mutant Genesis #1-7 TPB, the original and infamous Claremont and Lee run all recoloured and enhanced. Very proud of that too

I loved the old 80's - early 90's X-Men. Still my favourite era

Really nothing recent I can recommend, Ed Brubaker's Captain America run from around 2005 - 2009 was awesome.

Marvel right now over the last 10 years has been a bit weak.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-03-15 at 02:13 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...source=twitter

Meh? I don't really give a shit about Shang-chi.
    Most people don't. It's a shame Iron Fist was the one to get-ahead in Marvel's attempts to cash-in on the 70's Martial Arts boom. Shang-Chi is a much more interesting character, his original run (The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu) was awesome. Doug Moench did great mixing Fu Manchu and Sax Rohmer's other pulp characters into a mid 70's spy romp set in a superhero universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... made me laugh, when Iron Fist was announced and everyone was all “Omg, why isn’t he Asian!”

And even if you TOLD them about Shang Chi, they still didn’t care.