Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    You give the internet too much credit. You cannot even have a woman in a lead roll without people throwing a pissy fit. a lesbian will probably cause a meltdown. I expect at least 30 Quartering videos on how upset he is.
    Hasn’t Moondragon always been a lesbian though? It’s not like they would be changing a straight character to gay (or gender bending or race changing) which is usually the issue.

You give the internet too much credit. You cannot even have a woman in a lead roll without people throwing a pissy fit. a lesbian will probably cause a meltdown. I expect at least 30 Quartering videos on how upset he is.
    It's all about the buildup.
    Throw a random woman who is overpowered because why not and she is now stronger than everyone else for literally no reason, and yeah people will be pissed. And that's normal.
    Build the character correctly, and everything's fine.

That's the complete Captain Marvel vs Scarlet Witch (talking about MCU only) case.
    That's also the same with the black/white-washing. When actors make sense, nobody has any problem (for example Idris Elba as Heimdall).

Regarding her sexual orientation, if that's brought normally during casual conversations or whatever, that's fine too. If she screams "I'm a lesbian" every two shots, that'll soon become a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    It's all about the buildup.
    Throw a random woman who is overpowered because why not and she is now stronger than everyone else for literally no reason, and yeah people will be pissed. And that's normal.
    Build the character correctly, and everything's fine.

That's the complete Captain Marvel vs Scarlet Witch (talking about MCU only) case.
    That's also the same with the black/white-washing. When actors make sense, nobody has any problem (for example Idris Elba as Heimdall).

Regarding her sexual orientation, if that's brought normally during casual conversations or whatever, that's fine too. If she screams "I'm a lesbian" every two shots, that'll soon become a problem.
    Both you and I know that if we would have replaced "random woman who is OP" with "random man who is OP" almost no1 would care.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    No one is going to be triggered by Moondragon.
    They're gonna get triggered by Jane Foster as the Goddess of Thunder though.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Both you and I know that if we would have replaced "random woman who is OP" with "random man who is OP" almost no1 would care.
    Almost no one enjoys Superman for this exact reason though

That's where Marvel did quite well with its MCU, most characters had a correct development. Thor was tricky as he's a literal God, if he had his first appearance as his Infinity War powerlevel, nobody would have liked him either.

The Internet is not totally devil or macho. Sometimes complaints are there for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    They're gonna get triggered by Jane Foster as the Goddess of Thunder though.
    That’s warranted imo depending on how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

Though Portman really doesn't seem athletic enough to be a powerhouse brawler type, so dunno how it'll play.
    People said the same thing about Gal Gadot when she was first cast as Wonder Woman.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Nobody on the internet complained about wonder woman, or black window solo movie for example, it's all about how they do it and the buildup, also doesn't help when the actor is pushing an agenda against a huge portion of the audience

They could have given Scarlet Witch a solo movie, an already very strong character that has been in a lot of the movies, or finally black window as they are now, but they really wanted captain marvel and bri larson to do this whole "man is trying to push me down but im stronger" movie
    Last edited by apelsinjuice; 2019-07-21 at 05:44 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    As part of Marvel’s Hall H panel, Feige announced the upcoming films Black Widow, The Eternals, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and Thor: Love and Thunder as well as the Disney+ limited series Hawkeye, WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and What If… ? As it turns out, this entire slate of movies and TV shows will complete Marvel’s Phase Four.
    http://collider.com/marvel-phase-fou...n-feige-blade/

Blade, Black Panther 2, Cap Marvel 2, GOTG 3 will be in Phase 5

Kevin Feige Confirms LGBTQ Marvel Characters in ‘Eternals’ and ‘Thor 4’
    http://collider.com/marvel-lgbtq-cha...source=twitter

As much as a despise most of modern Marvel, Jane Foster Thor is quite alright. However, I hope they get some serious super soldier serum for Natalie. She looked downright comical holding the hammer.

Art by draken4o

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    People said the same thing about Gal Gadot when she was first cast as Wonder Woman.
    Gal Gadot is pretty athletic, if not muscular/ built. (Most of the complaints I saw were boob related, then accent, then muscles.) Maybe I'm just not thinking of them, but I don't really recall Portman doing any action movie stuff, she's had a ton of movies though so maybe?

We'll see, certainly, and it's not like my opinion matters since I'm not a theater goer and pretty deep into Marvel burn out.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    She’ll be fine. The power she wields doesn’t come from muscle.
    It does come from hammer stuff/ melee with some lightning here or there, and while Portman has done laser guns or whatever, it just feels off to have her with Mjolnir.

She’ll be fine. The power she wields doesn’t come from muscle.
    Sure, anything can work in universe, but it would be nice to have a physically powerful female superhero for a change. It's a shame that only the guys get to be beefcakes.

Art by draken4o

You mean physically imposing maybe? Pretty sure Capt Marvel is physically powerful...
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Art by draken4o

You mean physically imposing maybe? Pretty sure Capt Marvel is physically powerful...
    Well like, Captain Marvel is a laser-blaster type, I'm thinking more Angel Dust from Deadpool. But for me, even Wonder Woman/ Black Widow is more athletic/ physical than Jane Foster.

I'm pretty sure the comic event was after she was already in the movie universe, so there's that. They could always go HulkCGI too, but that seems a horrible idea.

9. I wouldn't be surprised judging from the logo of the Hawkeye movie that this is going to be Kate Bishop and not Clint Barton, .
    That's the same logo they used on the highly acclaimed Matt Fraction Hawkeye run with had both Clint and Kate so it seems likely they will both appear.

She-Hulk can easily be a physically imposing woman painted green. Not really sure what the criticism is of Jane Foster you’re trying to convey. That she’s not physical enough for a magic hammer to let her kick ass?
    I didn't mention SheHulk, I was refering to Portman as Foster as Thor. They could do like they do with Ruffalo and CGI her into a bigger form.

And yes, as I've been saying, Portman is not a physically athletic enough person to portray a brawler. A magic hammer can bulk you up or a magic hammer could give you super strength while you still look like a scrawny ballerina, but it will look silly for Portman to be jumping into a group of bad guys and fighting with the hammer. Can Marvel use trick shots, stunt people and CGI to fake it? Possibly, but if they had a better Foster-Thor actress picked for the role, they wouldn't need to fake it so much.

Same way they could be doing more with Sif, but since the actress isn't available, she exists outside of MCU spacetime I guess.

Why would they cgi her to be bigger? Her power has fuck all to do with her physical form.
    Because, as I said, I'd rather they didn't have "A magic hammer can bulk you up or a magic hammer could give you super strength while you still look like a scrawny ballerina"... I thought that was clear? Do you like Portman as Foster-Thor?

The "power has fuck all to do with..." is immaterial because they will happily switch everything back and forth at will. How much of Thor's physical strength is Mjolnir inspired? How much is Asgardian? How much is being the son of Odin? Mythology gives a lot more magical items to Thor, but the comics have gone whatever direction the story might want. The MCU established in Thor1 that you had to be worthy to lift it and it gave Thor powers, but then established in Thor 3 that it didn't give him powers. It didn't give Cap America powers in Endgame, did it?

So, sure, they can pull a hammer out of their ass, give it to Natalie Portman who will have no physical aptitude or energy, but enemies will still fly off (uninjured) when hit with it. Doesn't seem like the best of visuals, but there ya go.

Go back and listen to the enchantment from Thor 1. She’s worthy so that gives her Thor’s power.
    Overruled in Thor 3, the power was in him all along.
    Her body is irrelevant, it’s worthiness. I think you’re overreacting to this more than anything else.
    I think you're over-defending to this more than anything else... :-p It's a discussion topic, my first entry into which was "Though Portman really doesn't seem athletic enough to be a powerhouse brawler type, so dunno how it'll play."
    I don’t know if I like her in the next film as I haven’t seen frame 1 of it at this point. I will say I’ve enjoyed her work in things in the past.
    I've enjoyed her in a lot of things, none of them were really physical combat stuff. It's one of those questions of where is the line between Thor and "powers of Thor".
    Add in Taika and you have a ton of potential for this film to be great. They can paint her face on stunt doubles if she can’t physically do the fights, so I’m not worried about that aspect. It seems like you’e pretty hostile to the idea, but I still don’t get why. Spider-Man, while having a low body fat %, isn’t overly buff. He’s still crazy strong in the MCU. Power and muscle mass aren’t directly related when you’re discussing this shit. Get over it.
    Why would I get over it? There are a variety of fighting styles and Spiderman can lift cars but still fights in an acrobatic style that is totally different from a brawler like Captain America or Winter Soldier or Thor. Sif could take her sword and be all skilled warrior while being an athletic build, Valkrie was fine. But, Portman has been in a ton of stuff and is pretty established, and it doesn't seem her style, let alone wielding a Warhammer.

I'm not "hostile" to the idea, it just confuses me that you don't seem to understand the premise of Natalie Portman being a bad fit for Thor. Maybe they can make it work with the movie tricks I've already mentioned, it'll probably be a pretty standard Marvel movie (above average, but not world shattering).

Seriously, it's a discussion about a casting in a comic book movie on a gaming forum. No need to assign vitriol to me thinking Portman was a bad choice, especially since few enough people liked her in Thor 1 or 2, let alone giving her Mjolnir and Thor-ocity.

Why would they cgi her to be bigger? Her power has fuck all to do with her physical form.
    Have you never seen the comic version or something?