Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Dagnabbit I agree. At least as far as the movies go. The best scenario I can come up with is an alternate earth and, if you want to use the fox films as a base, timeline.

But at its root I see the a problem. The X-Men start out as a group and that means when they act, they invariably act as a group. Imo that makes for scaling problems and weaker character development. Now imo a Disney+ series could work if they can come up with a fresh approach because Disney+ needs more arrows for its bow.
    TBH, the group aspect makes them shallower characters. If you go by film alone, what do you really know about Cyclops, for example? My favorite X-Men from the movies was Nightcrawler, and that's because they did the tiniest peek into his background as a religious guy being tormented and thinking he was now imbued with some hellish mutation.

A D+ series focused strongly on these characters as perhaps individuals finding each other out in the world, under the guidance of a newly cast Xavier might be just what the X-Men needs.

I imagine in the MCU, if the X-Men aren't straight imports from another universe, some sort of multiversal energy might cause the Mutant X Gene, and an X-Men show can be about these people struggling with their new selves.

Hell, the latest Eternals trailer mentioned something about an Emergence, which no one I've heard seems to know what that might be a reference to. Maybe it's the Emergence of the X-Gene, and it was caused directly by the Blip, as the trailer implies.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The thing with the MCU is, they're perfectly willing to deal directly with real racism, so there really isn't any need to use an allegory for racism to explore that issue. I don't think even using it as an allegory for LGBT issues, like the X-men films did, would even work today. Audiences will see the allegory, and today, they'll just think you're too chickenshit to deal with it openly. And rightly so.

I honestly don't think the X-men are ever going to exist in the MCU. Characters from the X-men could certainly show up. Especially if we get more than one super-team going. That would likely overload the film space, but Disney+ could handle a serialized show, a longer-frame thing than their current MCU shows. But could Wolverine show up in an MCU film? Sure. Storm would make an interesting addition to any future Black Panther stories; maybe she's Wakandan, maybe not, maybe she's making a play for the leadership and whoever the Panther is needs to find a way to deal with a living storm in a duel for the crown. They could even have background characters, if we assume there are to be more and more supers showing up over time; maybe in a big fight scene you don't have anyone called Cyclops or Scott Summers, but there's a dude in the background shooting an eyebeam that's obviously him.

But the X-men? In the X-mansion? With Charles Xavier? Strong, massive doubts that it'll ever happen. There's little to explore, there, and their central allegory is dated and unnecessary. Not because bigotry's gone, but because we don't need to deal with it through the remove of allegory, we can just hash that out right in the open without needing to be coy about it.
    i dont know, i think theres actually a lot they can pull from if they keep the x-men less world ending and more secular.

focus on the school and the teaching and have their main priority be less racism and more activism. reaching out to disenfranchised mutant youths
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Falcon and the Winter Soldier says hello. Let’s see what Ms. Marvel does too! Hell, Black Panther. Do people pay attention to the actual plots ever?
    In this thread? No. A LOT of people don't, whine about the movies/shows, and despite showing otherwise, will still continue.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I am fully aware of MCU plots, thank you very much:

1. Skybeam.
    2. Big CGI army.
    You forgot to have a villain with the powers of the hero.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Wait, are you suggesting there are other options for villains?

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    First one must defeat the inner turmoil within themselves before they can boldly publicly declare they are a superhero by saying their name a loud

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    People forget that Disney is the company that put out a movie with a man's chest being ripped open by the whirling blades of a robot.
    When and where did that happen??

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Disney is fine witht keeping Deadpool in the R category. They may even branch off into other solo R-Rated films for other characters...but I would not count on them putting the X-Men Franchise as a whole into the R-Rated zone. And they don't really have to. There won't be much blood and Wolverine won't be dropping the F-Bomb...but he can still murder any soldiers than come to the X-Mansion looking for trouble.
    did Reynolds say he would only play Deadpool in R rated films, or did he say that the Deadpool centric movies had to be R rated? because I would lose my shit if he appeared in Spiderman: No Way Home

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    When and where did that happen??
    I can't place that one immediately, but Disney was behind Tarantino's early films, from Reservoir Dogs through Kill Bill.

Seriously, people's idea that "Disney only does family-friendly stuff" is just objectively untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    did Reynolds say he would only play Deadpool in R rated films, or did he say that the Deadpool centric movies had to be R rated? because I would lose my shit if he appeared in Spiderman: No Way Home
    I don't think he really said either of those things. I think he said that in his opinion Deadpool had to be R-Rated...not that he would simply refuse to play Deadpool if he wasn't.

For myself, the Spider-Man/Deadpool thing only works if Deadpool has a Mancrush on Spider-Man.

With Peter still being a teenager it makes scenes like this a lot more awkward:

Wait, are you suggesting there are other options for villains?
    Only if you're Spider-Man.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am fully aware of MCU plots, thank you very much:

1. Skybeam.
    2. Big CGI army.
    3. Hope is bleak, saved last minute.
    4. Hero progressively faces tougher challenges in proper ascending order

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I don't think he really said either of those things. I think he said that in his opinion Deadpool had to be R-Rated...not that he would simply refuse to play Deadpool if he wasn't.
    Reynolds has a price for playing Deadpool at less than an "R" rating.

And we already know that price is Deadpool tying up Fred Savage and reading him a story.

Oh and he probably got some money too. Also there was charitable donations.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2021-09-01 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    T
    An R rating in the 70s or 80s was mostly a death knell for a film.
    What version of the 70's and 80's was that? It was the 70's that gave us films such as Alien, Taxi Driver, Animal House, The Exorcist, A Clockwork Orange, Blazing Saddles, The Godfather 1-2, Halloween, Carrie, Dog Day Afternoon, Shaft, The Deer Hunter, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dirty Harry, Apocalypse Now, Marathon Man, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Enter the Dragon, Mad Max, The Warriors, Deliverance...the 70's was the era when R-rated films really started taking off and being successful. And by the time the 80's rolled around, R-rated moves practically grew on trees, it was the era of the slasher movie, the muscle bound action heroes like Stallone, Arnold, and Norris, the Eddie Murphy comedy...TONS of major R-rated movies back then.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Reynolds has a price for playing Deadpool at less than an "R" rating.

And we already know that price is Deadpool tying up Fred Savage and reading him a story.

Oh and he probably got some money too. Also there was charitable donations.
    When I heard they were doing a PG rated Deadpool 2 I let out a groan… then I read the premise and yeah it was brilliant

Spider-Man defeats Superman to become most expensive comic book ever sold

A copy of the 1962 comic Amazing Fantasy No. 15 was sold at Heritage Auctions Thursday for a whopping $3.6 million.

Peter Parker and his alter ego Spider-Man made their debut in the comic book that was sold for 12 cents at the time.

An Action Comics No. 1 that included the 1938 debut of the Man of Steel sold earlier this year for $3.25 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Spider-Man defeats Superman to become most expensive comic book ever sold

A copy of the 1962 comic Amazing Fantasy No. 15 was sold at Heritage Auctions Thursday for a whopping $3.6 million.

Peter Parker and his alter ego Spider-Man made their debut in the comic book that was sold for 12 cents at the time.

An Action Comics No. 1 that included the 1938 debut of the Man of Steel sold earlier this year for $3.25 million.
    That AF 15 was Graded a 9.6 that is damn impressive from 1962. Highest Action 1 looks to be 8.5, which is to me more impressive given it’s age. I’ve always wanted to get a few of my books graded but I’d be bummed if they got low grades (and some would considering I actually read them at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    That AF 15 was Graded a 9.6 that is damn impressive from 1962. Highest Action 1 looks to be 8.5, which is to me more impressive given it’s age. I’ve always wanted to get a few of my books graded but I’d be bummed if they got low grades (and some would considering I actually read them at the time).
    I disagree with the 8.5 AC#1 being more impressive than a 9.6 AF#15. 9.6 compared to 8.5 may not seem like much...but in grading comics the difference is pretty huge.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/comics-grading-scale

NEARMINT+9.6
    This is close to mint with some minor defects. Even though some defects are allowed in 9.6, certain defects, such as tape, are never allowed in this grade range.

Slight stress on the spine.
    The staples themselves are generally centered clean with no discernible rust.
    Maybe some minor color has chipped or flaked off the cover.
    The cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and very little fading. Square and sharp corners with ever so slight blunting permitted.
    You can tell that this comic has been stored properly and looks almost as new as the day it was printed.
    The smallest amount of creasing
    All bindery tears are small.
    Only some binding and/or printing defects allowed.
    Cover is fairly well centered and firmly secured to interior pages.
    Paper is supple and like new.
    Spine is tight and flat.
    Unobtrusive date stamps or arrival dates in pencil or ink are acceptable.
    Many pedigree collection comics have a notation on the cover or the interior of the comic and are considered a bonus to collectors as they help prove the provenance of the comic.
    VERY FINE / NEARMINT 9.0 TO 7.5
    9.0 - VERY FINE / NEARMINT+

8.5 - VERY FINE+

8.0 - VERY FINE

7.5 - VERY FINE-

A VERY FINE comic book appears to have been read a few times and has been handled with care. These grades allow for some more defects than higher grades. Overall an above average copy and still very collectible.

Some of the above defects along with a fold or crease in the cover that breaks color.
    Some stress marks on spine.
    A few small chips on the cover.
    The cover has some slight surface wear but still has much of its original gloss and there is nothing major wrong with it.
    Sun shadows, dust shadows and tanning can be darker and have more of a visual impact than those in higher grades.

Action Comics #1 is 83yrs old.
    Amazing Fantasy #15 is 59yrs old.

AC does edge out AF when it comes to making an impression for the sole fact that having a comic that old in that condition is near miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    There have been two Action #1's that were graded 9.0. I imagine if either 9 went up for sale this year they would probably go for more since the back issue market's pretty loopy.

There's a Detective Comics #27 graded at 9.2. Its apparently been in private hands since 2014. If it went up for sale it would probably crush everything.

Generally, a high grade comic from the 60's is less impressive than an older comic. I should point out that people didn't take of their comics properly until the 70s. So getting comics in high grade before than is unusual.

Edit:
    There are 4x Amazing Fantasies #15 at 9.6. There are 6x AF15 at 9.4.

I think someone overpaid.

More Edit:
    https://itsalljustcomics.com/the-mos...-in-the-world/

I'm partially familiar with some of these already and it runs down some items that are in private hands but could be worth millions.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2021-09-13 at 12:54 AM.