Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b2082557.html

Disney have no shame. Let the dead die

TDLR: Disney is getting a lot of hate because they have scored rights for Stan Lee's likeness and use it in future MCU movies.
    Takes two to tango though... Disney can't score the rights to something that isn't for sale. The company that should be "protecting" the man's legacy don't seem to be too troubled.

Personally though...I think Stan would rest easy with the knowledge of this kind of "immortality". The man personified "gravitas" in life.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Takes two to tango though... Disney can't score the rights to something that isn't for sale. The company that should be "protecting" the man's legacy don't seem to be too troubled.

Personally though...I think Stan would rest easy with the knowledge of this kind of "immortality". The man personified "gravitas" in life.
    I think its creepy and shit, like when they started using his twitter account after he died, I wish they stopped doing that. there are better ways to pay tribute in my opinion. unless his likeness was to have a picture of him in a frame in the background or something then fine, but if they got the whole CGI resurrected uncanny valley stuff then, no, its too ewwy.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

unless his likeness was to have a picture of him in a frame in the background or something
    You realize they'd probably have to seek permission to do that too, right?

This doesn't seem like a big deal. He's been the face of Marvel stuff since I was watching the 90s X-Men cartoon as a kid. Probably much longer than that. And he was showing up in silly MCU cameos before Disney even became involved. It's a no-brainer that they'd want to keep him around in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You realize they'd probably have to seek permission to do that too, right?

This doesn't seem like a big deal. He's been the face of Marvel stuff since I was watching the 90s X-Men cartoon as a kid. Probably much longer than that. And he was showing up in silly MCU cameos before Disney even became involved. It's a no-brainer that they'd want to keep him around in some capacity.
    Stan's been on his Soapbox since the 60's. Gleeful huckster has always been his schtick.

The only issue I have is that it makes sense to have his image in use but it also seems like something to keep giving his shitty do-nothing daughter more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The only issue I have is that it makes sense to have his image in use but it also seems like something to keep giving his shitty do-nothing daughter more money.
    /shrug
    I have no idea about that. I assume shit like that often goes on with "estate" nonsense when a lot of money (or the potential to make it) was involved.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b2082557.html

Disney have no shame. Let the dead die

TDLR: Disney is getting a lot of hate because they have scored rights for Stan Lee's likeness and use it in future MCU movies.
    TLDR: A bunch of people who don't understand copyright laws are complaining. Just because someone is dead doesn't mean their estate loses the rights to the image.

The she hulk cgi doesn’t seem that bad to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    TLDR: A bunch of people who don't understand copyright laws are complaining. Just because someone is dead doesn't mean their estate loses the rights to the image.
    I understand copyright laws, what I don't like is the ethical use of what is the equivalent of dragging mans corpse around and playing with it... Lets not forget that Stan Lee was suing Disney before his death for forging his signature on documents.

Then again this is Disney the same company who don't even pay the estates of the authors Disney uses to stamp their mouse onto.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-05-19 at 03:17 PM.

Lets not forget that Stan Lee was suing Disney before his death for forging his signature on documents.
    Hard to forget something that never seems to have happened.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

This is not Chadwick Boseman died but given the huge success of the first movie they are gonna do a digital character to earn money.

No, it's not at all, nothing to do with that, in fact Disney doesn't earn money with Stan's cameos: the total number of tickets Disney sells because Stan is in there is 3 and the total number they don't sell when he isn't its 3 too.

It can in any way argued that Stan's cameos contribute in a meaningful way to the film's sucess of failure. It's fun for us the fans the "Oh look here it is" in our little game of Marvel's "Where's Wally" but largely irrevelant in the marketing of the product.

This is homage not commercial.

Add that to the, quite sure, fact that Stan would have love to persist in the universe he created ,loved and devoted his life and I would put money on the table wherever he is in the Afterverse he is smiling knowing his travel didn't end in the MCU.

So in the end you may like it, you may not....but I think it's more important to ask yourself not "Do I like it?" but "Does Stan like it?". And I think we all know the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Hard to forget something that never seems to have happened.
    Maybe they're confusing Lee's billion-dollar lawsuit against POW! Entertainment?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...h=6d9c11db502f

That company's the one that was being abusive of Stan Lee. They're entirely unrelated to Disney.

Also, on not paying out to estates of authors; there's a concept called "work-for-hire", and of all people, Stan Lee abused the fuck out of that to deny any kind of ownership to authors producing characters for Marvel or the stories they wrote. So trying to use antagonism towards work-for-hire strategies in support of Lee is pretty damned ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    "You could join the avengers"

"I'm not a narcissistic billionaire!"

Yeah because Cap Amercia, Black Widow are narcissistic billionaires.

Thankfully they put lines like that in trailers clearly trying to stir the pot the same way the batgirl series started off with "the batsuit will be perfect once it fits a woman" or whatever that awful bit of writing was where copy and paste superhero characters mock their predecessors because they have nothing else going for them so I would be a fool to take it seriously
    She's talking about don't Tony Stark you dipshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Maybe they're confusing Lee's billion-dollar lawsuit against POW! Entertainment?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...h=6d9c11db502f

That company's the one that was being abusive of Stan Lee. They're entirely unrelated to Disney.

Also, on not paying out to estates of authors; there's a concept called "work-for-hire", and of all people, Stan Lee abused the fuck out of that to deny any kind of ownership to authors producing characters for Marvel or the stories they wrote. So trying to use antagonism towards work-for-hire strategies in support of Lee is pretty damned ridiculous.
    Yea its the POW Entertainment I got muddled there.

But regardless the whole act of using someone's likeliness when they are dead is still creepy to me. More so the recently deceased unless its done in a respectful way mind you.. And Disney being respectful is hard to grasp for me.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-05-19 at 06:42 PM.

Just let that poor man rest in peace, he's earned it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea its the POW Entertainment I got muddled there.

But regardless the whole act of using someone's likeliness when they are dead is still creepy to me. More so the recently deceased unless its done in a respectful way mind you.. And Disney being respectful is hard to grasp for me.
    The blame's more appropriately leveled at Lee's estate, not Disney.

They may have wanted to use his likeness, but his estate is the one that chose to license them doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The she hulk cgi doesn’t seem that bad to me.
    I don't see it either. Moon Knight's cgi started out terrible then got better every episode and It can't be any worse than Black Widow's.

The blame's more appropriately leveled at Lee's estate, not Disney.

They may have wanted to use his likeness, but his estate is the one that chose to license them doing so.
    Which kind of forces Disney into licensing it or let a competitor capitalize on it to make money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel12 View Post
    Which kind of forces Disney into licensing it or let a competitor capitalize on it to make money.
    So you agree Disney was doing the best thing to honor Lee's legacy?

We don't even know if/how they're gonna use it, they just hold the rights so no one else can.

So you agree Disney was doing the best thing to honor Lee's legacy?

We don't even know if/how they're gonna use it, they just hold the rights so no one else can.
    Wouldnt say its the best thing, it really comes down to if they use his likeness in media or not. I would rather they do not use his likeness and just let him rest.

Now they have Deadpool, Deadpool should be the one doing these one off cameo roles that Stan did.

I assume they want his likeness to put in as easter eggs into the movies? It makes sense to me as a way to honor his legacy.