Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Honestly, it may just be time to retire the character, for this reason.

The only other way to go, IMO, would be to find some way to do a time-skip. Maybe keep the WWII and death-camps origin, but when his powers are expressed, the Nazis (or even Hydra) start experimenting, he almost destroys the complex, but they manage to tranq him and put him into a coldsleep cabinet and hide it away, with the idea that he's too powerful to waste by destroying, but they hope some future generation can develop the tech necessary to pull that off.

50 years later, whatever was powering the cabinet finally fails, triggering the automatic release. It's 1994, and Magneto's still 12 years old (or whatever), the trauma still as fresh as yesterday, but now awoken into a confusing future that uses the Nazis as pop-culture villains but without any real understanding. If you're still setting it at the current MCU era which is what, around year 2025 right now or something? Magneto would biologically be in his mid-40s, an easy point IMO to start the character and give him a strong potential run in the MCU as he ages up from there. The time-skip would add to his anger and emotional disconnect, and you've still got the past 30ish years of growing up for him to have made friendships with the likes of Xavier. And weirdo Nazi/Hydra tech is already a known "thing" in the MCU, so it ties right into the current lore.
    I actually agree with you here. I'd rather they retire Magneto, as great a character as he is, because his story and motivation is so heavily tied into events of WW2.
    Maybe it's time for a fresh character leading the brotherhood of evil mutants. Maybe a survivor of apartheid or a school shooting or any more recent event that displays the malice of mankind.

It has to be something fundamental if they want mutants to be a global thing.

It's really hard to just go "actually the new evolution of humanity has been around for a while, they all just kept themselves hidden in a New England boarding school without anyone on the entire planet ever finding out".

Multiverse solution could be a thing. Some Infinity War-like event that changes everything, maybe two universes merge or whatever and now we have mutants dealing with a world that's never known them (so they're EXTRA prejudiced), and we can also hand-wave Magneto's past (The Nazis existed in both worlds, maybe they just happened 50 years later in theirs, easy solve to the time lag).

It's not impossible to "update" the issue with more recent sources of social conflict, but somehow there really isn't anything that properly compares to the Holocaust; even if you tried, you'd risk outrage.

IDK what they'll end up doing but it has to be something on a pretty big scale.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It has to be something fundamental if they want mutants to be a global thing.

It's really hard to just go "actually the new evolution of humanity has been around for a while, they all just kept themselves hidden in a New England boarding school without anyone on the entire planet ever finding out".

Multiverse solution could be a thing. Some Infinity War-like event that changes everything, maybe two universes merge or whatever and now we have mutants dealing with a world that's never known them (so they're EXTRA prejudiced), and we can also hand-wave Magneto's past (The Nazis existed in both worlds, maybe they just happened 50 years later in theirs, easy solve to the time lag).

It's not impossible to "update" the issue with more recent sources of social conflict, but somehow there really isn't anything that properly compares to the Holocaust; even if you tried, you'd risk outrage.

IDK what they'll end up doing but it has to be something on a pretty big scale.
    No, please no multiverse sheningans. Mutants should be existing on Earth-616 already, just like everything else they added to the MCU over it's existence. The multiverse should be reserved for "what if" variants and plots (like "what if Apocalyse won"), but the main universe should contain everything the comics main universe has - otherwise we end up with something like DC were they thought it was cool to split up all their superheroes/teams to different earths for their tv shows, which honestly sucks. Right now, Earth-838 looks more comic accurate than the main continuity, but I hope that will change again once we get Mutants, Inhumans and the F4 back.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post

B) Slower aging associated to the X-Gene.
    this is probably the most likely option. I mean we saw Professor X in the recent movie and he would've been about the same age

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    No, please no multiverse sheningans. Mutants should be existing on Earth-616 already, just like everything else they added to the MCU over it's existence. The multiverse should be reserved for "what if" variants and plots (like "what if Apocalyse won"), but the main universe should contain everything the comics main universe has - otherwise we end up with something like DC were they thought it was cool to split up all their superheroes/teams to different earths for their tv shows, which honestly sucks. Right now, Earth-838 looks more comic accurate than the main continuity, but I hope that will change again once we get Mutants, Inhumans and the F4 back.
    Kamala Khan is almost certainly an Inhuman. given that the bracelet she is using which triggered her powers came off the arm of a dead Kree, it is with some certainty that we will see Inhumans, as well as Mutants, very soon. September 10 can't come fast enough

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    this is probably the most likely option. I mean we saw Professor X in the recent movie and he would've been about the same age

- - - Updated - - -

Kamala Khan is almost certainly an Inhuman. given that the bracelet she is using which triggered her powers came off the arm of a dead Kree, it is with some certainty that we will see Inhumans, as well as Mutants, very soon. September 10 can't come fast enough
    Yeah, I'm also in the "Kamala is still Inhuman, and the bracelets will break and reveal a terrigen mist in the last episode" camp! But yeah, the day they release the first MCU mutants movie will change everything haha (and we will look back at the sad days of hoping that surprise mutants would appear in a new movie/show haha).

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Yeah, I'm also in the "Kamala is still Inhuman, and the bracelets will break and reveal a terrigen mist in the last episode" camp! But yeah, the day they release the first MCU mutants movie will change everything haha (and we will look back at the sad days of hoping that surprise mutants would appear in a new movie/show haha).
    well I kinda jokingly pointed out earlier that Djinn and the gen of Terrigen sound the same... but yeah given the Kree reference it's no longer a joke. I wonder where the other bracelet is, they said there were 2 of them. Maybe her grandmother has the other one?

Apparently people are split down the middle with the male nudity scene in Love & Thunder. One camp (the right one btw) loving the gratuitous shot brought to us by Hemsworth himself (he WANTED to do the scene) with others being upset about nudity in a Disney movie, the scene itself being sexual assault played for laughs and the double standard of it were Jane Foster being stripped naked in front of the masses.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Apparently people are split down the middle with the male nudity scene in Love & Thunder. One camp (the right one btw) loving the gratuitous shot brought to us by Hemsworth himself (he WANTED to do the scene) with others being upset about nudity in a Disney movie, the scene itself being sexual assault and the double standard of it were Jane Foster being stripped naked in front of the masses.
    Can just add to the list of subjects thats ok for males but not females.

Likewise If Jane Foster was made obese from struggling from depression we'd never hear the end of it. Yet for men its a source of comedy in the biggest summer blockbuster ever.

Its almost like they dont actually give a shit about issues and just bandwagon whatever is the latest trend/outrage as a way to make more money.

"Oh no we're involved in another culture war! I guess you'll just have to see the movie to pick a side!"
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Can just add to the list of subjects thats ok for males but not females.

Likewise If Jane Foster was made obese from struggling from depression we'd never hear the end of it. Yet for men its a source of comedy in the biggest summer blockbuster ever.

Its almost like they dont actually give a shit about issues and just bandwagon whatever is the latest trend/outrage as a way to make more money.

"Oh no we're involved in another culture war! I guess you'll just have to see the movie to pick a side!"
    Weird because Days of Future Past had like 10 solid seconds of Hugh Jackmans ass as he got out of bed, heard zero bitching about it.
    Also yeah Endgame did have a lot of fat jokes, weird from the company all about inclusion and representation

7+ Year Old Account
    Weird because Days of Future Past had like 10 solid seconds of Hugh Jackmans ass as he got out of bed, heard zero bitching about it.
    Also yeah Endgame did have a lot of fat jokes, weird from the company all about inclusion and representation
    Ironman 2 also had Scarlett Johasson being a sexy secretary and Tony Stark comments that he "wants one" too.

Thats probably the most egregious example I can think of where the marvel films were being a little "sexist" to the fairer sex and werent just being clouted as brave and stunning for simply existing.

In an indeal world we could all enjoy scarletts ass and hemsworth ass without it being an issue. But apparently thats in the "too hard" basket

others being upset about nudity in a Disney movie
    "A Disney movie" is barely a thing anymore. Disney owns so many franchises at this point that to think you can just put them all under one umbrella term like that with any kind of meaning is ridiculous.

Nudity is fine. Who cares anymore in 2022, aren't we beyond Victorian mores at this point.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    While not technically marvel it seems odd to complain about double standards When we had a ton of Xmen movies with Mystique naked and just lacking the actual privates for years.

Ya there not technically naked with all the makeup and CGI and what not but they are effectively showing It all off.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-06-25 at 02:00 AM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Ironman 2 also had Scarlett Johasson being a sexy secretary and Tony Stark comments that he "wants one" too.

Thats probably the most egregious example I can think of where the marvel films were being a little "sexist" to the fairer sex and werent just being clouted as brave and stunning for simply existing.

In an indeal world we could all enjoy scarletts ass and hemsworth ass without it being an issue. But apparently thats in the "too hard" basket
    Those early iron man films did not stand the test of time lol! Tony Stark in his first film would be the poster child of cancel culture. It'd be like making a film of Charlie Sheen being a hero

- - - Updated - - -

"A Disney movie" is barely a thing anymore. Disney owns so many franchises at this point that to think you can just put them all under one umbrella term like that with any kind of meaning is ridiculous.

Nudity is fine. Who cares anymore in 2022, aren't we beyond Victorian mores at this point.
    Also strange that of all body parts asses are hardly seen as nudity. Bare asses of both genders are acceptable in prime time American television.

Also strange that of all body parts asses are hardly seen as nudity. Bare asses of both genders are acceptable in prime time American television.
    So is people getting shot in the head, which apparently is far less of a problem than a penis. So go figure.

Honestly, it may just be time to retire the character, for this reason.

The only other way to go, IMO, would be to find some way to do a time-skip. Maybe keep the WWII and death-camps origin, but when his powers are expressed, the Nazis (or even Hydra) start experimenting, he almost destroys the complex, but they manage to tranq him and put him into a coldsleep cabinet and hide it away, with the idea that he's too powerful to waste by destroying, but they hope some future generation can develop the tech necessary to pull that off.

50 years later, whatever was powering the cabinet finally fails, triggering the automatic release. It's 1994, and Magneto's still 12 years old (or whatever), the trauma still as fresh as yesterday, but now awoken into a confusing future that uses the Nazis as pop-culture villains but without any real understanding. If you're still setting it at the current MCU era which is what, around year 2025 right now or something? Magneto would biologically be in his mid-40s, an easy point IMO to start the character and give him a strong potential run in the MCU as he ages up from there. The time-skip would add to his anger and emotional disconnect, and you've still got the past 30ish years of growing up for him to have made friendships with the likes of Xavier. And weirdo Nazi/Hydra tech is already a known "thing" in the MCU, so it ties right into the current lore.
    I mean there's an even simpler solution.

They could just say that Magneto or Mutants in general age slower than Humans. Chronologically he would still be ~90 years old...but physiologically he'd be roughly equivalent to a human around the age of whatever actor they cast to portray him.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account

Apparently time for a reminder that Marvel films are "Disney films" in exactly the same sense that Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill are.

Given that Disney owned Miramax when those were made, in exactly the same way that Disney owns Marvel Studios.

People seriously do not understand Disney as a company.

Those early iron man films did not stand the test of time lol! Tony Stark in his first film would be the poster child of cancel culture. It'd be like making a film of Charlie Sheen being a hero
    I mean, that's exactly the intent Stan Lee had when creating Iron Man....he wanted to make someone that was unlikeable into a hero people loved.

“I think I gave myself a dare. It was the height of the Cold War. The readers, the young readers, if there was one thing they hated, it was war, it was the military. So I got a hero who represented that to the hundredth degree. He was a weapons manufacturer, he was providing weapons for the Army, he was rich, he was an industrialist. I thought it would be fun to take the kind of character that nobody would like, none of our readers would like, and shove him down their throats and make them like him ... And he became very popular.”
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of censorship most TV networks are ok with bare cheek.

Butt Crack is where it gets dicey and will bump it up to a higher age rating.

7+ Year Old Account

Was Iron Man 2 already Disney though?

#TEAMGIRAFFE

People seriously do not understand Disney as a company.
    Disney is just a convenient scapegoat for everything they might not like about one of the billions of properties they've acquired.