Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No flying is the best that can happen to this game at this point.

I don't mind about not being able to fly during pexing, I think that's normal, and allows us to do quests correctly. BUT if they don't want us to have them at lvl100, why don't they make it unlockable with the Loremaster achievement ? Some of us don't mind about doing all the quest sequences of a zone, and they want to do that achievement, that would be a good reward for those who took the time to complete every story in Draenor.

But I'm NOT OK with no flying at all ever, no ! When I connect just for an hour, I don't want to lose time going from one point to another.... Plus I have 180 mounts and a LOT of drakes and cloud serpents, which I can't use as ground mounts (even if they can walk, f*ck logic...), I took a lot of time to get these mounts, and I'm not OK about not being able to use them on Draenor !!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Nah, it's Blizzard who decides that you're not flying the first time in Draenor. They are the ones who wants you to experience the world as it should be. You know, actually experiencing the zones instead of swooping down to quest items without a care in the world, ignoring any danger along the way.
    That "danger" just becomes an annoyance very, VERY quickly, especially if we're going to be running around on a blownup timeless isle-format area.

I can't wait to collect 50 more shiny rocks across all of draenor. On foot.

The "just use ground mounts" argument is as laughable as telling people who think leveling is too fast not to use heirlooms, well not using them feels like garbage because you lose 50% xp (ironically) and they have far worse gear in the process. Almost no one are willing to gimp themselves even though they would prefer the alternative.
    Sounds like a personal problem, tbh.

So why would anyone force themselves to take extra risks (daze, pvp, falldamage), travel about half as slow, when they can just jump on a flying anyway.
    Sounds good to me.

Why would I risk daze or falldamage when it's unrelated towards where I'm currently going or doing?

Too much convenience is detrimental to the game.
    Only when the things you're "conveniencing" your way over actually add gameplay or a means to an end.

Yaungol that charge you aren't that. The ground and all the lovely mobs look just as pretty from the air if "a richer world" is what you're trying to build up here.

And even that comparison is fallacious. Compare a zone like Storm peaks (absolutely cannot be traversed solely on the ground) to oh, say, Hellfire Peninsula (designed to be traversable on the ground)

or Borean Tundra (designed to be traversed on the ground.)

I'll take Storm Peaks, thank you very much.

“Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yeah, really clever blizz...let us fly in every expansion, make all meta mounts flying only and then remove it...idiots. To me, flying and exploring the world without limitations is a huge joy.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, saying WoW has lost its "soul" and that flying ruined it...are you bloody serious with that statement? We've had flying since TBC, the according to nostalgic dweebs "best expansion evaaah" and we had flying in WOTLK, the expansion where subscribe numbers saw their peak. Do you HONESTLY believe that flying made people leave and not natural stuff like ooooh I don't know...the game growing older, people growing up, the economy getting worse, people getting BORED of the same old same old in terms of actual gameplay mechanics and so on...?

No, but FLYING made 7 million people leave, that's totally logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

Also, saying WoW has lost its "soul" and that flying ruined it...are you bloody serious with that statement? We've had flying since TBC, the according to nostalgic dweebs "best expansion evaaah"
    It's funny to watch the mental calisthetics people pull to try and shunt the "blame of flying" onto WotLK, because in their minds BC could do no wrong. It's usually some piddlin crap about "well they weren't as bad back then!" or some similar drek.

A claim made even more laughable considering that nigh every single max-level faction in BC that required daily quests to earn rep REQUIRED flying mounts.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Eeeh.. I don't mind being forced onto ground mounts for a certain period of time or in certain zones. I'm happy to be grounded during leveling/getting to know the world. But after a certain point it would get annoying, especially since flight paths are ALWAYS super inefficient ways to get from A to B, and don't let you stop in between. When you get to 100 and have been on Draenor for so long then not having flying will just make the game annoying to traverse the terrain from where you are to where you want to be.

Example: I've been working on fishing the quest fish for Nat Pagel rep. I almost always log out in the Shrine. I fly over the mountains north of the vale to kun-lai for the sha fish, then down to Vo4W for the flying fish, then on down to the Anglers place to fish up the octopus and be done. That's a straight line, up and down the continent that I can fly myself. Quick and efficient.
    With flight points I would have to take a flight path all the way around the vale from kunlai to get to Vo4W, then fly to a camp on northern border of Krasarang which takes me east and then west again to reach it, cuz that's the closest Horde flight point, then walk down through the jungle and across the water to get to the Anglers. Turning maybe 10min of flying/fishing into much longer period of time.

the game will be better without flying. i hope it lasts past 6.1.

flying should have been something reserved for special zones or instances. would have made it a lot more fun and exciting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    the game will be better without flying. i hope it lasts past 6.1.

flying should have been something reserved for special zones or instances. would have made it a lot more fun and exciting.
    Then get a time machine and go back seven years and tell blizzard that, back before flying existed.

Apparently the game has been just fine with it since then.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

yes, I see soooo many people riding around on non-flying mounts right now, just for the fun of it! Seriously blizz, if people "love a world without flying" they have acces to it right now. Flying isn't mandatory, it's optional! Yes, for levelling it is a nice way to introduce zones, but once you have seen those zones a million times, guess what, you take taxis to get around, you know, flying?

This just seems like a bad excuse for forcing people to use the taxis system and try to get gold out of the game instead of just making interesting money-sinks.

Oh, and you want the expansion to not be about flying, then you make the CE mount a BIRD?!

i hope they end up going back on this decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thuran View Post
    yes, I see soooo many people riding around on non-flying mounts right now, just for the fun of it! Seriously blizz, if people "love a world without flying" they have acces to it right now. Flying isn't mandatory, it's optional! Yes, for levelling it is a nice way to introduce zones, but once you have seen those zones a million times, guess what, you take taxis to get around, you know, flying?

This just seems like a bad excuse for forcing people to use the taxis system and try to get gold out of the game instead of just making interesting money-sinks.

Oh, and you want the expansion to not be about flying, then you make the CE mount a BIRD?!

i hope they end up going back on this decision.
    I'm torn between hoping they change the "no flying" decision before the expansion comes out versus them implementing "no flying," receiving huge backlash, changing it to the way it should be and allowing flying at max level, and then never trying such a thing again. Maybe ever fewer daily quest zones with no flying to boot.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

There is an old saying - "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Why oh why must Blizzard insist on changing the things we are happy with - such as flying, gemming, reforging, stats etc etc etc when nobody complains about them?? How about trying to fix any of the huge list of things people have been complaining about for years instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlaine View Post
    There is an old saying - "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."

Why oh why must Blizzard insist on changing the things we are happy with - such as flying, gemming, reforging, stats etc etc etc when nobody complains about them?? How about trying to fix any of the huge list of things people have been complaining about for years instead?
    Actually I could give two shits about them removing hit and expertise. Really just pain in the ass stats. And also, no primary stat+expertise gems? That's just BS.

But yes, removing flying isn't going to do much of anything. People are blaming a whole host of problems, some of which developed before flying (death of world PvP) and some of which developed long, long after on the existence of flying mounts. And of course, as they're not related, removing flying for no reason wont solve anything.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

For the record, none of us ever 'bought the rights to fly'.
    You bought the rights to fly in Outland, the right to fly in Northrend, in Kalimdor/EK, and then finally in Pandaria.
    Those are the only rights you bought, and the only ones you have a right to, and nobody is taking those away.

Now if people would stop acting as if they've actually lost something, I'd really appreciate that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    You bought the rights to fly in Outland, the right to fly in Northrend, in Kalimdor/EK, and then finally in Pandaria.
    Those are the only rights you bought, and the only ones you have a right to, and nobody is taking those away.

Now if people would stop acting as if they've actually lost something, I'd really appreciate that.
    Losing time running from place to place and getting dazed off my mount to have to fight mobs that couldn't kill me if I AFKed for five minutes straight comes to mind.

I might be inclined to fly over parts of Northrend just to look around every now and again. But I stay the hell away from doing so on the timeless isle. Any clues as to why?

A few hints: jumping tigers, aggro-switching mobs, charging yaungol, difficulty of traversal, and all-around blandness.

I'd rather have a pretty continent to fly over than an exasperating one to run through constantly.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Flying is freedom - I don't want to lose my freedom.

I hope people will really start to shitstorm once WoD is out and people reach max level and finally realise that they can't learn flying until the next patch. It will be glorious since then people who never ever have used the forums will join there and ask why that it. The very vocal minority of nostalgia blinded no-fly advocates thinks they represent the masses, they will have a rough wake up call.

Deleted
    I cant wait for no flying. Flying is soooo unnecessary in wow.
    I actually want to see other players when Im traveling, see what theyre up to.

Ppl are just way too used to flying by now. I dont know why they want an effortless gameplay... When traveling just point towards the direction you want to go to and afk a while. When gathering just be like a bot and look at the map and the nodes with your gatherer addon and just mindlessly fly in circles gathering herbs. No obstacles, no nothing... No fun.

Flying was fun the first couple weeks in tbc. No it just makes everything so boring.
    Seriously, if you cant handle dodging a few mobs, swiming a bit, fighting a few players etc when going from A to B. Maybe its time to realize how spoiled you are then. Yes, its Blizzards fault and they do know that flying was a mistake.

I personally love playing on a vanilla server, no flying. Same with any other MMO. You actually get to interact with other players when your not just flying past them without ever seeing them.

Most likely no flying in WoD. Ever. Thank God!

Why do you people keep forgetting they are only doing no flying for one patch. Stop acting like they are taking flying mounts completely out of the game. Welcome back to vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post

If you'd stop acting as if you know anything, I'd really appreciate that.

I have spent TONS of gold, time and even real money on many of my flying mounts. Out of 240 mounts, over 90 are flyers and a whole host of those are ONLY flyers...YES, I'D LOVE to see them all rendered useless because Blizzard can't leave well enough alone and let the "Vanilla was teh beeeeest!!!!1"-crowd influence them way more than they should.

So yeah, no flying in the entire current continent = I WOULD lose something. And that is only speaking of my flying-only mounts, I haven't brought up my joy of exploring and feeling freedom to do so being severely gimped.

Deleted
    I pray to god all mighty of Narnia that they keep Draenor non-flying zone.
    As tedious as it was in Vanilla to gather mats and other things, it created so many things for the community. Now its just braindead from point A to point B without any interaction with other players.
    This little change can bring so many refreshing changes to WoW's community whether you want to be part of it or not.

I'm sorry to hear people are crying over this.
    To be honest, I'm pretty amazed how people don't seem to see the opportunity this has.

Pretty sure its gonna be reverted after the first major patch hits in though.
    The WAAH WAAH in the forums will be massive and quite depressing to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kallekaka View Post
    I cant wait for no flying. Flying is soooo unnecessary in wow.
    I actually want to see other players when Im traveling, see what theyre up to.
    Maybe I don't care about seeing you.

And before you break out the tired "Well maybe an MMO isn't for you" there are OTHER, actually meaningful, aspects of multiplayer content I enjoy in WoW. Like PvP. Or raids. Or dungeons. Or showing off my beautiful collection of flying mounts.

Ppl are just way too used to flying by now. I dont know why they want an effortless gameplay... When traveling just point towards the direction you want to go to and afk a while.
    Can't wait to see how you reconcile that with your inevitable post of "flight paths are a fine alternative to flying."

When gathering just be like a bot and look at the map and the nodes with your gatherer addon and just mindlessly fly in circles gathering herbs. No obstacles, no nothing... No fun.
    People made the decision. That's the thing.

You're saying "here, I'm SURE you'll have fun this way!" when people are saying "no, I don't want to do it this way." To which you answer "WELL YOU'RE NOT HAVING FUN RIGHT!"

It's really quite petty.

Flying was fun the first couple weeks in tbc. No it just makes everything so boring.
    And there's the "well flying was just fine in BC!" mental calisthenic I talked about earlier.

Seriously, if you cant handle dodging a few mobs, swiming a bit, fighting a few players etc when going from A to B. Maybe its time to realize how spoiled you are then. Yes, its Blizzards fault and they do know that flying was a mistake.
    yeah same deal as I said before, go back seven years and tell em to change it. Because the game has been doing fine with it.

I personally love playing on a vanilla server, no flying. Same with any other MMO. You actually get to interact with other players when your not just flying past them without ever seeing them.
    Yeah, again, I really don't give two shits if I see people while I'm traveling from A to B.

The world becomes A to B the first time after you explore it.

Most likely no flying in WoD. Ever. Thank God!
    Not a unanimously popular opinion.

People bitching about flying "ruining WoW" is what goaded Blizzard to attempt this direction in the first place. All it takes to undo it is significant backlash in the opposite direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by New Envoke View Post
    I pray to god all mighty of Narnia that they keep Draenor non-flying zone.
    As tedious as it was in Vanilla to gather mats and other things, it created so many things for the community.
    Yeah so did farming resist gear.

No way in hell I'd want that back.

Now its just braindead from point A to point B without any interaction with other players.
    This little change can bring so many refreshing changes to WoW's community whether you want to be part of it or not.

I'm sorry to hear people are crying wolf over this.
    That's not what "cry wolf" means...

To be honest, I'm pretty amazed how people don't seem to see the opportunity this has.
    I've seen that "opportunity" with their attempts at it in 2.4, 4.2, 5.2, and 5.4.

Yeah it's been underwhelming, frankly.

Pretty sure its gonna be reverted after the first major patch hits in though.
    The WAAH WAAH in the forums will be massive and quite depressing to see.
    It's the wake-up call the "flying ruined WoW" crowd needs to get their heads out of the nostalgia sand.

And it's fascinating how old that sand is. SEVEN YEARS we've had flying mounts. Flying mounts have been integral parts of what are widely regarded as the two "best" WoW expansions (BC and WotLK) and have been present though the game since to no ill-effect that wasn't already "invoked" all the way back in BC.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.