Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiox69 View Post
    You do realize you will still be able to fly in Pandaria right...just not in Draenor...it's sounding like you don't know what your talking about.
    They are not removing flying altogether Just the new xpac. I for one do not hate not flying, i don't want to skip the beauty of draenor by flying around it!
    Just like they haven't specifically stated how long the flight restriction will be in place, they also haven't specifically said that flying in the older content would remain.

Also, i'm not sure how it is for you, but the last time i was on a flying mount, i was still able to see the world around me and it didn't detract from seeing the beauty of the world below me. In fact, it gave me a different perspective than on the ground seeing everything. Why do you think the Space Needle in Seattle is so popular? I mean, the people of Seattle (and tourists) can easily just see things from the ground, right? Oh, that's right, people like to have a different vantage point from time to time. Besides, as has been said MANY many times, even if flying is in the game, nothing is forcing you onto a flying mount if you would prefer a ground mount to travel.

Flying should be handled as it has been in the past: locked until level cap is reached.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    And the sigh's of relief coming out of the people mature enough to deal with such a minor restriction. Could do with less spoiled brats, that's for sure. The community is already filled with those.
    It's more than just a minor restriction, a lot of those flying mount collections cost a lot of time, grinding, rep, gold, RNG, and in the case of WOD real recent money. They would basically be throwing that away (watching a dragon waddle along a road looks stupid). Also, it's not an issue of maturity, they want to see how it goes. So if people don't like it, it makes perfect sense to let them know.

10+ Year Old Account
    In an elevator, in the bottomless pit......that only goes down...
    Quote Originally Posted by scottshaman View Post
    Proud of Blizz for removing flying- Vanilla inspiration is what this game needs right now. Hopefully the kids that play this game can learn to appreciate how it was originally built and how much it has strayed from its winning formula. For many reasons I hope lots of juvenile players unsubscribe with this change- then we can possibly re-enter the glory days of WoW being a challenging, thoughtful game devoid of the gimmicks and instant gratification that pander to the younger (age 16-21) player-base.
    WoW has, what 7-10 million active subscriptions now? How many when Vanilla was out? Probably not nearly as many....guess that really proves that ONLY Vanilla was a "winning formula", unless you expect me to believe that all 7-10 million players started playing in Vanilla, but even that would prove that all the things they've done to this point have been part of a "winning formula".

Also, i'm not really sure what makes you think that this will rid WoW of immature "kids" and make quality of life/community any better. There will always be annoying, immature, "kids" (you do know that there are a lot of immature adults playing this game?) playing every video game out there.

Actually Wrath was the winning expansion design if you want to base it by pure subscription numbers.

People thinking no flying will change the community or bring back the vanilla feeling are morons.

Also, WOTLK was the peak. It had FLYING.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exaelitus View Post
    It's more than just a minor restriction, a lot of those flying mount collections cost a lot of time, grinding, rep, gold, RNG, and in the case of WOD real recent money. They would basically be throwing that away (watching a dragon waddle along a road looks stupid). Also, it's not an issue of maturity, they want to see how it goes. So if people don't like it, it makes perfect sense to let them know.
    Well, there's the fact that it isn't going away permanently. So, yeah, pretty small bump there. I'd like to see some decent arguments about WHY flying is important. Something a decent bit more substantial than the argument of convenience.

For those that like the sight of them, and enjoy using them. That's a fine argument, but it's along the lines of the counter argument that people spend quite a bit of time trying for some ground mounts, yet don't ever use them because flying outstrips their use in nearly every way (barring the occasional dungeon or bg that allows their use). Even if you enjoy the sight of them, they'll be useable again with the first patch being released (you could argue that those store mounts ARE useable on the ground AND all of the older content, so it's not like the money is going to waste).

It's something to argue and debate about an ideal, it's another to just whine incessantly about losing a convenience until the first patch is released.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Flight makes the world excessively flat and uninteresting.

As long as it doesn't take me 20 minutes to get from the bank to the justice point vendor I think I'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiroh View Post
    And what makes you think that WoD flight paths will suck? Are you in the Alpha?
    Two words: Timeless Isle

More words : There are so many bad ones and they do not act on them when reported.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there's the fact that it isn't going away permanently. So, yeah, pretty small bump there. I'd like to see some decent arguments about WHY flying is important. Something a decent bit more substantial than the argument of convenience.

For those that like the sight of them, and enjoy using them. That's a fine argument, but it's along the lines of the counter argument that people spend quite a bit of time trying for some ground mounts, yet don't ever use them because flying outstrips their use in nearly every way (barring the occasional dungeon or bg that allows their use). Even if you enjoy the sight of them, they'll be useable again with the first patch being released (you could argue that those store mounts ARE useable on the ground AND all of the older content, so it's not like the money is going to waste).

It's something to argue and debate about an ideal, it's another to just whine incessantly about losing a convenience until the first patch is released.
    From what I'm reading they are now considering it, and want to see players reaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exaelitus View Post
    From what I'm reading they are now considering it, and want to see players reaction.
    Well, there's the key point. They want to see the reaction, which usually comes after people actually giving it a shot (not being so childish as to unsub, purely out of spite, and their opinions aren't all that useful, if they're really willing to quit over something so simple, then they probably aren't the long term player that blizzard would worry over). The most likely outcome is that they follow what was originally planned, and allow flying in the older content with the release of the first patch. If people actually enjoy it, then I would see no reason to change and allow flying.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

i really hate afrasiabi. just has the aura of a guy that needs his ass beaten into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by freakyduck View Post
    Just like they haven't specifically stated how long the flight restriction will be in place, they also haven't specifically said that flying in the older content would remain.
    But they did specifically point out that flying wouldn't work in Draenor. So I think even the most cynical of people would agree that they won't touch older content as there really is no reason to.

that tweet made me confused. Are they saying that you can collect about the same amount of ore/herbs in wod while not flying as you do now with flying? Because I can rack up to about 15-20 stacks of ore in about 30-45 min right now. The amount of ore nodes there have to be to do that in wod while not flying, has to be astronomical

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i really hate afrasiabi. just has the aura of a guy that needs his ass beaten into the ground.
    Absolutely agree. With a halflife-style crowbar.

Imagine someone taking your car away, simply because it allowed you to get to places more efficiently than riding a bicycle? They are contemplating this because it allows them to greatly slow down the player base. Holding onto someones belt as they walk up a hill, so to speak.

For those arguing that all flying should be removed, how about you exclusively use your precious ground mounts you love so much, and let the people that prefer to fly, fly?

I agree with the comments regarding Blizz selling flying mounts for genuine cash, then mentioning their removal. People spent money on them, or grinding out mats crafting these mounts. Saying that they can be used as ground mounts as well, is the same as saying your car still rolls, push it and be happy with it.

I think I have finally outgrown this "suffocate" design philosophy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incitatus View Post
    Imagine someone taking your car away, simply because it allowed you to get to places more efficiently than riding a bicycle? They are contemplating this because it allows them to greatly slow down the player base. Holding onto someones belt as they walk up a hill, so to speak.

For those arguing that all flying should be removed, how about you exclusively use your precious ground mounts you love so much, and let the people that prefer to fly, fly?

I agree with the comments regarding Blizz selling flying mounts for genuine cash, then mentioning their removal. People spent money on them, or grinding out mats crafting these mounts. Saying that they can be used as ground mounts as well, is the same as saying your car still rolls, push it and be happy with it.

I think I have finally outgrown this "suffocate" design philosophy.
    Difference being that this is a game. Games are meant to be played, and content to be used. Problem is, is that like a car, you aren't driving to drive (95% of the time), you drive to get to your destination. But in a game, the destination is meant to be reached through playing.

Using your car analogy, it would be like in a mario game, going straight to the end castle without having to jump once.

Difference being that this is a game. Games are meant to be played, and content to be used. Problem is, is that like a car, you aren't driving to drive (95% of the time), you drive to get to your destination. But in a game, the destination is meant to be reached through playing.

Using your car analogy, it would be like in a mario game, going straight to the end castle without having to jump once.

Your analogy seems to be a narrow view. Although it isn't "logical" to remove flying once someone has acquired it. I can still understand that from a design concept, it just makes the game easier to create if you can limit the player base from doing what they would prefer to do. Currently, we fly all over the place. I do not miss vanilla at all in that view. It took forever to get places. I prefer to fly directly to where I prefer to go, regardless if it is "just sight seeing", or to a daily quest hub, or material gathering.

If flying is ever removed entirely. I will have no desire to pay a monthly fee.

If this someone else prefers that model, then by all means rejoice.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    Two words: Timeless Isle

More words : There are so many bad ones and they do not act on them when reported.
    Sorry, what? I talk about flight paths in WoD and you use Timeless Isle as an example? FYI, Timeless Isle is in MoP. And I don't even know what Timeless Isle has to do with flight paths. I'm not saying flight paths will be better in WoD but don't make any assumptions until you actually try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    People thinking no flying will change the community or bring back the vanilla feeling are morons.

Also, WOTLK was the peak. It had FLYING.
    I don't think many argues that removing flying for a while will "bring back" anything, other than putting a healthy limit on convenience for a while.

You could put Cataclysm after BC and it'd still be the peak for subs. Finite market. Wish people would realize already.
    Why would flying have anything to do with it?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there's the key point. They want to see the reaction, which usually comes after people actually giving it a shot
    Usually when Blizzard floats an idea half a year before it happens, the reaction comes right away, which is probably the reason why they brought the issue up now. Hence they have some interest in seeing our current reactions as well and we have some interest in sharing it.