Planning a new Gaming Rig

I was curious if you awesome folks here still think that the set up of the month is still a viable pricepoint for the power?

Just a reminder of the parts involved:

Corsair Air 540
    Rosewill Fortress 750W
    Intel i5-4670K
    Noctua 6 NH-D14
    ASUS Z87-PLUS
    16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
    Gigabyte GTX 770

Any and all input would be appreciated. It has been awhile since I looked at the computer hardware market.

For reference, im not listing hard drive or ssd on purpose, and as far as peripherals go, I am running a dual monitor set-up 2x 1920x1080 24 inch screens.
    Last edited by ZealousBlade; 2014-03-14 at 09:20 AM.

I would change your power supply to either a Corsair or thermaltake brand, I would probably do the same thing with the video card as well - not a fan of gigabyte video cards, prefer HIS or powercolor personally.

100% change the ram. It's 1600mhz and it's CL10? That's bloody slow, I can't even comprehend it having CL10 latency on 1600mhz.. that's awful. You want CL9 for sure, hell you could probably go up to 1866mhz with cl9 for the same price (perhaps not on amazon, haven't checked)

Deleted
    http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-W...x+power+supply

This is a much better PSU for far less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-W...x+power+supply

This is a much better PSU for far less money.
    What makes it much better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZealousBlade View Post
    I was curious if you awesome folks here still think that the set up of the month is still a viable pricepoint for the power?

Just a reminder of the parts involved:

Corsair Air 540
    Rosewill Fortress 750W
    Intel i5-4670K
    Noctua 6 NH-D14
    ASUS Z87-PLUS
    16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
    Gigabyte GTX 770

Any and all input would be appreciated. It has been awhile since I looked at the computer hardware market.

For reference, im not listing hard drive or ssd on purpose, and as far as peripherals go, I am running a dual monitor set-up 2x 1920x1080 24 inch screens.
    I would change:
    Case
    PSU
    Mobo
    CPU cooler

Complete build (excluding the storage):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($139.99 @ TigerDirect)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $993.92
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-14 05:53 EDT-0400)

I recommend 4GB gpu for 60$ extra if you plan to use both monitors for gaming, if not the regular 2GB will do fine.
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-03-14 at 09:54 AM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    I would change:
    Case
    PSU
    Mobo
    CPU cooler
    To what may I ask?

10+ Year Old Account
    To what may I ask?
    Sorry was editing post ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Sorry was editing post ;D
    I see that, thankyou

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong about the NH-D14, it's just massive though. Like, extremely massive.

The XFX one is good, or I'd pick one of these if you want a Semi-Modular one.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasoni...m12ii520bronze
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasoni...upply-ssr550rm
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasoni...m12ii620bronze
    They are more expensive though, so yeah.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-03-14 at 10:01 AM.

So I already own this PSU would that work on this build?

And just out of curiosity, what do the bronze, silver, gold, etc. on PSU's mean? never did figure that out.

I am also looking for a pretty sturdy case, as my last case got fucked up going through airport security's "fragile" handling.
    Last edited by ZealousBlade; 2014-03-14 at 10:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I already own this PSU would that work on this build?

And just out of curiosity, what do the bronze, silver, gold, etc. on PSU's mean? never did figure that out.
    Should be fine.

Just efficiency ratings. It doesn't really matter much in the end.

The reason I ask is because the motherboard on my current rig got fried and I am still not sure why. Worked for a good 3 years but suddenly just fried one day.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason I ask is because the motherboard on my current rig got fried and I am still not sure why. Worked for a good 3 years but suddenly just fried one day.
    Were you playing overclock the thing? Or your PSU is faulty or dead and probably needs to be replaced. I'm not an expert so someone else should probably chime in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crappy PSU is only one of many reasons why a mobo could fry. That PSU looks better than CX series, how old is it? My old Zalman PSU still works after 6years.

About PSU efficiency that you asked:

Basicly, it's how effective it is, for example if PSU draws 100W, a 80+ bronze will 'waste' 18W of that under full load.
    For example, if you have 1000W psu (for easier math, yea I'm lazy), bronze silver gold, and your system needs 850W to operate (numbers out of my ass), that means:

1000W bronze psu will waste 180W, meaning you will have 820W under full load, so that will be not enough.
    1000W silver psu will waste 150W, meaning you will have 850W under full load, so that will be enough.
    1000W gold psu will waste 130W, meaning you will have 870W under full load, so that will be enough and you will have 20W to 'spare', so it will probably draw less than 1000W power, meaning you will save some money on electricity bill.

Generally, unless you have some SUPER power hungry system, like 10 drives and quad GPU's that needs a ton of power for cooling, any quality 500W psu will do for your gaming system with standart stuff like 1 gpu, an SSD and a HDD.