Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    and also hands down worst community of all time. Played probably 8 or 9 MMOs and nothing else is even remotely close to being as toxic as WoW.
    agree

/10

In older MMOs your actions and even the actions of others had consequences. In Ultima Online you could be killed by players at any time while outside towns. If a player killed you they looted all your gear. If you happened to have your house key on you then they also got a nice new house for free. If you died deep in a dungeon your corpse rotted. If you were a PKer you gained a murder count which meant you couldnt enter towns and if you were killed you could not rez without a penalty until it went away.

In Everquest if you died you had a corpse run and an exp loss requiring a rez. There were factions for everything. If you were an evil race you could not enter good cities and vice versa. During Velious expansion they added factions for armor quests. Picking one meant you became enemies to the other 2. Killing in plane of growth made you KoS in the high elf city. Also there were consequences of how you played. If you were a helpful player you gained friends and thus groups. If you were good at your class you got groups. On the other hand if you were an asshole ninja looter people plastered your name on that server's forums and you didnt get groups. If you were a trade scammer people made it known and no one ever traded with you again. If you sucked and didnt know how to play you didnt get groups. Once word got around that you were a bad or a jerk the only way to get rid of that was pretty much rerolling to another server with a different name and hope no one found out.

On the other hand in WoW you can be the worst player in the world or a total douche bag asshole and what happens? Not a damn thing. You can still raid. You can still trade. You can still get groups. You can still get gear. Nothing you do will ever have a negative result. There are no factions to ruin. No possible way for an Orc to ever become hated by another Horde race. Doesnt that kinda take away from the game? Having negative consequences for your actions both within the actual game and also in the community makes you think about what you are doing. I know stuff like corpse decay resulting in total gear loss wouldnt work in WoW because of loot being harder to get but there should be something. There is no penalty for being a bad player who doesnt know how to play. There is no penalty for dying in PvP. There is no penalty for dying in PvE. There is no penalty for being a douche bag. Even if you do go the forums and post about someone being a ninja looter, a scammer, or a bad the post is immediately removed and you get infracted. I mean really? You are trying to warn the community to stay away from someone and you are the one who gets punished? Shouldnt there at least be some consequences for negative actions?

Here is the answer folks dont want that shit, if they did UO would have more than 2450 ppl playing it.

and also hands down worst community of all time. Played probably 8 or 9 MMOs and nothing else is even remotely close to being as toxic as WoW.
    Now imagine WoW on a PVP server if you could drop your heroic raid gear after being ganked because you had a legitimate lag spike while standing near a flight path.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Here is the answer folks dont want that shit, if they did UO would have more than 2450 ppl playing it.
    right because the number of people still playing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that its 17 years old or anything. Also most WoW players are so bad they couldnt hack it in UO anyways. First time someone got PKed and lost all their gear they would first hit the forums with a massive QQ post and then rage quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoaric View Post
    It is, especially when you're carrying a unique quest reward or some godly gear that
    took years to obtain...
    I remember I kept trying to make my own fortune with my necromancer, bravely and carefully soloing everything... until the stone guard that spawns the door to Oryx's chamber dropped his sword right on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who play WoW for the most part don't want to deal with those sorts of consequences. There are games where they have them and to each their own. I don't see a problem with that.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

WoW has been the most popular mmo to date. I'm hoping with Wildstar and ESO the devs will be forced to do actual work on improving the game when they lose fucktons of subs because they fail to put out quality content. They have been able to just kinda dick around on the top of the hill, but good games will force them to wake up.

As far as gameplay goes, the devs have been shitting on it since wrath. It will take a few expansions of very good development in order to fix anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    In older MMOs your actions and even the actions of others had consequences. In Ultima Online you could be killed by players at any time while outside towns. If a player killed you they looted all your gear. If you happened to have your house key on you then they also got a nice new house for free. If you died deep in a dungeon your corpse rotted. If you were a PKer you gained a murder count which meant you couldnt enter towns and if you were killed you could not rez without a penalty until it went away.
    Yes, and they changed it 3 years later with Ultima Online Renaissance, where there was now a mirror version of it called Trammel, which had NO unconsensual PVP, and all lands that were added by subsequent expansions had that rule. Also they changed it so that the keys were no longer the thing that decides about house ownership. Felucca, the lands of free PVP became an empty shell, only to be inhabited by those who desire PKing.
    Then later they added Item Insurance where you could insure your equipment and it stayed with you when you died.
    In other words, the "good old times" of rampant PK were not as golden as some say. Only after it became a choice of gameplay (like WOW pvp server vs PVE server) did the game actually flourish.
    I know, I played it, was part of the Atlantic Shard RP Community, etc.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Deleted
    right because the number of people still playing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that its 17 years old or anything. Also most WoW players are so bad they couldnt hack it in UO anyways. First time someone got PKed and lost all their gear they would first hit the forums with a massive QQ post and then rage quit.
    You're suddenly going from consequence in MMOs to talking about how good UO is. If that's the direction you're heading in your topic then why don't you just stick with UO.

None of this sounds like good ideas to me

You haven't played EvE online or LoL then?

In EvE online we wanted to kill a titan, to give an idea of how valuable they are they approximate to $5,000 a piece in real money. A person in his "guild" wanted to backstab the titan owner so helped us. He formed a party with the dude while it was in a spot that made it invulnerable to damage. We then distracted the titan owner by getting his guildmate to link him silly youtube vids. When we were good and certain he was lolling to one his guildmate warped him out to where we could gank him and we dropped the hammer. Boom, $5k splatted. This is childsplay compared to the lengths that many will go to.

Corp robberies of billions there are the norm, spying, DDOS of voicecomms in important ops and so on.

But yea, wow isn't that kind of game and I'm glad it isn't. WoW is a nice change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    You haven't played EvE online or LoL then?

In EvE online we wanted to kill a titan, to give an idea of how valuable they are they approximate to $5,000 a piece in real money. A person in his "guild" wanted to backstab the titan owner so helped us. He formed a party with the dude while it was in a spot that made it invulnerable to damage. We then distracted the titan owner by getting his guildmate to link him silly youtube vids. When we were good and certain he was lolling to one his guildmate warped him out to where we could gank him and we dropped the hammer. Boom, $5k splatted. This is childsplay compared to the lengths that many will go to.

Corp robberies of billions there are the norm, spying, DDOS of voicecomms in important ops and so on.

But yea, wow isn't that kind of game and I'm glad it isn't. WoW is a nice change of pace.
    LoL community is so much better than wow's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    because it became a game for filthy casuals
    Why would you call people that play a game casually, filfthy. Where does the hate come from?

And the OP's question has been answered in this thread. Wow is not that type of game. Games with (heavy) repurcusions are for a niche market. Wow wants to appeal to a bigger crowd.
    It's interesting though, people that criticize Wow for being too casual or too mass appealing mostly want games that not many people play.
    Wow is the McDonalds of MMO gaming, a lot of people hate it but the majority loves it. It tastes good but it's not for everyone. The people that like to dine in the smaller restaurants are eager to critique it while eating in their quiet little restaurant.

Deleted
    LFD and LFR killed community
    Flying killed the world
    Whiners killed the rest

There you go, a lobby game without consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    agree

/10
    Says the guy that just said he plays LoL. Easily the worlds most toxic game by far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    Flying killed the world
    Whiners killed the rest

Cool, none of that is true. There's nothing dead about WoW, frankly.

WoW has been successful because it was not that sort of game.
    I can understand the desire from some people to replicate the "best times" of wow by trying to replicate the atmosphere, even if they are going about it completely the wrong way.
    But this is just something entirely different.

If you want some ultra hardcore game with a tiny playerbase, then I am sure there are those out there for you.
    You vastly overestimate the popularity that sort of game would have, otherwise there would be one out there already with millions of subscribers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the reasons why WoW even got to be so popular was because it didn't have those consequences. Who the heck truly wants to lose experience and items just because you died in a multiplayer game where character progression is the key to play the game (okay, the punchline is Diablo Hardcore Mode, but I digress)?

Still, MMO grinding is far worse than Diablo grinding, where in the latter it's easy to hit max level and gain nice items to progress your character. Having massive penalties for dying is counter-productive to what makes MMOs fun in the first place and just deter more people from playing them than getting people invested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by z4x View Post
    Flying killed the world
    Whiners killed the rest

What community exactly? There was never such a thing as a community, as much as people like to believe that. There were always guilds and circle of friends competing for raid kills or pvp e-peen. That hasn't changed. The community on a realm is the people you befriend and get to know, that has nothing to do with LFR or dungeon finder.

I agree somewhat on making the world smaller than it is, but I do love my flying mounts.

Whiners killed the rest, no idea what you mean by that. What did they kill?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clukclukbewm View Post
    WoW has been the most popular mmo to date. I'm hoping with Wildstar and ESO the devs will be forced to do actual work on improving the game when they lose fucktons of subs because they fail to put out quality content. They have been able to just kinda dick around on the top of the hill, but good games will force them to wake up.

As far as gameplay goes, the devs have been shitting on it since wrath. It will take a few expansions of very good development in order to fix anything.
    Without giving examples and just stating things, your post holds no merit. MOP has been the best expansion to date if you consider gameplay, graphics and story telling.
    My favorite expansion is Wotlk, but only because of the lore. The immersion, engagement while questing and world design are way better in MOP.

OK I understand maybe not wanting stuff like an EXP loss or loss of gear. That is mostly due to the way gear works in WoW. The reason it did work in a game like UO is because gear was very easy to get and most of it was player crafted. Obviously if you spent 4 months or more getting geared it would be stupid to have something in game where you could get DCed and lose everything.

But why is there no consequences for the social aspect of the game? I remember some guy raging for an entire BG once. He told people they failed at life. They should go kill themselves. I think he used every possible swear word in the same sentence. What happened? Nothing because I had him in the same BG again a few days later and he was still saying the same stuff. Thats just unacceptable. If people go into dungeons and are bad nothing happens. If you are an asshole or are a bad then why should the community be able to do something about it? Yes I know I could just put them on ignore but why should they still continue to take part in the game? There should be a penalty for trying to be bad or rude on purpose.

I agree. Blizzard should be much, much harsher on these types of players; they are what is causing damage to the game and the community. Not LFD/LFR.

Problem is that Blizzard only has so many GM's to handle issues like that along with other issues like helping players who've had their accounts hacked ect ect. In an ideal world those toxic players would either be permabanned or better yet Blizzard should have a few servers set aside specifically for toxic players; if a player becomes a constant problem he or she is automatically removed from the server and put on those special servers with other bad players. If people can't act like a person and treat people like, well, people, they don't deserve to play with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not having enough money IRL to buy the boost has consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.