Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    Not having enough money IRL to buy the boost has consequences.
    If you can't afford something in WoW the consequences are going to hit you in your day to day life not wow. Then again if you cannot afford to get a boost, which nobody needs, you probably have more then enough time to level up the old fashioned way. The insanely fast old fashioned way.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alundra View Post
    Simply? WoW isn't that type of MMO.
    Precisely.

The game just really isn't that type of game. What you're looking for, appears to be something else.

There are plenty of games where there are plenty of consequences, but that was never really WoW and will never be WoW.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    In the first 3 words the OP anwered his own question. "In older MMOs". It is 2014 not 2000. The player base in the MMO world is VERY VERY different to the one 10 plus years ago. People don't push thought content. They get bored and leave. Adding more consequences would just push more people away from MMO's not closer.
    Aye mate

WoW almost had an experience penalty for using the spirit healer to get your corpse back. They nerfed that to a gold/time sink instead (durability hit and the stat debuff), but the function name in the API remained.

http://wowpedia.org/API_AcceptXPLoss

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    But why is there no consequences for the social aspect of the game?
    Human brains are optimized for life in a tribe with no more than 150 members, and most of those will exist in real life and not in WoW. WoW has millions, you would run into thousands doing day to day activities.

Quite simply, WoW is bigger than what humans can handle. Everyone outside your 150 person limit is just a noise making object that doesn't matter. Why does no one care about the BG rager? Assuming they even have BG chat on (I never do) they forgot about his existence probably before they even finished reading whatever profanity he decided to use.

OK I understand maybe not wanting stuff like an EXP loss or loss of gear. That is mostly due to the way gear works in WoW. The reason it did work in a game like UO is because gear was very easy to get and most of it was player crafted. Obviously if you spent 4 months or more getting geared it would be stupid to have something in game where you could get DCed and lose everything.

But why is there no consequences for the social aspect of the game? I remember some guy raging for an entire BG once. He told people they failed at life. They should go kill themselves. I think he used every possible swear word in the same sentence. What happened? Nothing because I had him in the same BG again a few days later and he was still saying the same stuff. Thats just unacceptable. If people go into dungeons and are bad nothing happens. If you are an asshole or are a bad then why should the community be able to do something about it? Yes I know I could just put them on ignore but why should they still continue to take part in the game? There should be a penalty for trying to be bad or rude on purpose.
    Just keep reporting him. You saw him a few days after the first time. If it had been his first offence you reported probably nothing, but he could have had 4 or 12 hours ban. Just report him every time it occurs. If you are not reporting him, your problem. Reporting someone puts them on a temporary ignore so you cannot hear him raging. If you go all coy and say you do not report then how does Blizz know about bad behaviour and you deserve him. btw the more someone is reported the longer the bans get until they are permanent. If you are not reporting, do not complain, it is your fault people get away with things. It is not mine because I always report, whether in dungeon, bg, trade where ever. It is the ones who do not report who are to blame.

Deleted
    Love the argument that Lots of subscribers = good game.
    Almost as air tight as the logic people use when they say 'If you do not like X you can quit, Blizzard do not make mistakes'.

I still go back to wow every once in a while to do BG's, but that is becoming less and less. It is true WoW was never hardcore, but it was also not this casual originally, people are allowed to not like the direction a game is taking without drones needing to get so defensive of Blizzard. They are a company after your money, not your friend.

The glory days are gone, they are going to milk this cash cow as long as they can, and to be honest when WoW eventually dies, and it will, I do not think history will remember Blizzard as a nice company, they will be remembered as that company who nickle and dimed their customers at every opportunity. Truely a shame.

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This just brought me back to the OG Runescape days. While it wasn't on the same level as UO or the like, it was still a blast to wreck people who were chopping down trees in the middle of nowhere and take their stuff.

because wow is a better game ?
    Yeah. Wow got bad players. But having a game where you get killed by other players and lose all your gear is just retarded. Look at wow. Look at how much time and energy you need to put in to be able to defeat heroic bosses. If a group of deuchebags could gather up and go gank people and steal their gear. No progress would be made and the game wouldnt be played. There is a reason why no other shitty mmo games have had nearly the same amount of players that wow had. Yes had. Wow is going down now and wod wont give it a lot of new players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantwingrr View Post
    Eh, people carry almost all their important things on their person at all times. Considering how easy it is to die even by accident like misclicking your mount off in the air or something... Maybe if banks were more prevalent and easier to access with quit a bit more organization tools and space to put stuff, that might be able to happen.
    when you misclick there is a big chance nobody was stalking you in the first place and a big chance to run back and get your gear again

In older MMOs your actions and even the actions of others had consequences. In Ultima Online you could be killed by players at any time while outside towns. If a player killed you they looted all your gear. If you happened to have your house key on you then they also got a nice new house for free. If you died deep in a dungeon your corpse rotted. If you were a PKer you gained a murder count which meant you couldnt enter towns and if you were killed you could not rez without a penalty until it went away.

In Everquest if you died you had a corpse run and an exp loss requiring a rez. There were factions for everything. If you were an evil race you could not enter good cities and vice versa. During Velious expansion they added factions for armor quests. Picking one meant you became enemies to the other 2. Killing in plane of growth made you KoS in the high elf city. Also there were consequences of how you played. If you were a helpful player you gained friends and thus groups. If you were good at your class you got groups. On the other hand if you were an asshole ninja looter people plastered your name on that server's forums and you didnt get groups. If you were a trade scammer people made it known and no one ever traded with you again. If you sucked and didnt know how to play you didnt get groups. Once word got around that you were a bad or a jerk the only way to get rid of that was pretty much rerolling to another server with a different name and hope no one found out.

On the other hand in WoW you can be the worst player in the world or a total douche bag asshole and what happens? Not a damn thing. You can still raid. You can still trade. You can still get groups. You can still get gear. Nothing you do will ever have a negative result. There are no factions to ruin. No possible way for an Orc to ever become hated by another Horde race. Doesnt that kinda take away from the game? Having negative consequences for your actions both within the actual game and also in the community makes you think about what you are doing. I know stuff like corpse decay resulting in total gear loss wouldnt work in WoW because of loot being harder to get but there should be something. There is no penalty for being a bad player who doesnt know how to play. There is no penalty for dying in PvP. There is no penalty for dying in PvE. There is no penalty for being a douche bag. Even if you do go the forums and post about someone being a ninja looter, a scammer, or a bad the post is immediately removed and you get infracted. I mean really? You are trying to warn the community to stay away from someone and you are the one who gets punished? Shouldnt there at least be some consequences for negative actions?
    Play on US Mannoroth and take a look at how people talk about me and see if being a troll/douche doesn't have its consequences. I can't really join any top end guilds anymore :P But it's k I've gone casulol ;_;
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooliganz View Post
    when you misclick there is a big chance nobody was stalking you in the first place and a big chance to run back and get your gear again
    Just thinking about this freaks me out. I can't remember which game it was (I believe an old zombie MMO) and it spawns you in the woods in the middle of nowhere. I spent almost an hour running on foot and eventually found a nearby hospital and after scavenging around the area a bit, turns out a pack of like 10 players were following me the whole time. Needless to say, I hate that feeling in and outside of video games and I'm glad it's not prevalent in most games today.

Deleted
    Just imagine if people in WoW could loot all your stuff, when you they kill you.

Deleted
    Every time you die in PVE your gear wears a little you need to run to your corpse sometimes a long way is that not a penalty. ?

Some quest can be failed and you have to redo them another penalty.

Naming and shaming rule on the forums is to protect the innocent unfortunately it protects the guilty as well.

But lying and cheating seems to be part of human nature so maybe it's a good rule.

I'll be the first to say that full loot PvP is a very very bad idea in a game where level and gear disparities are so incredibly high.

On the PvE side of things? The death penalty here is kind of a sad joke, and there are much more interesting ways to go about it.

WoW was designed this way from the very getgo. If you don't remember, this was the big 'thing' about WoW that made UO and EQ players go "What do you mean I only have to run back to my body when I die?". It was blasted as a game for casuals from before the game even launched, anyone who argues that the game became casual is just kidding themselves.
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    There was a game were they could kill you and collect YOUR GEAR?
    ...if that's the way it was, I'm glad things in WoW don't have consequences.
    Yes. Ultima Online (among others apparently) was an absolute bloodbath....particularly as a new player, where you would be farmed in the starting zones because your murderer could loot your lowbie gear and sell it for money. Aside from all the things that motivate those types of players to begin with, it was steady cash flow. Can't remember how many times I logged in, tried to start out, and ended up logging back out.

Ultimately I decided the subscription wasn't worth the grief and went on to play some other game. Meridian 59 maybe, hell if I remember now.

Anyway, as others have said WoW was always more "forgiving" than other games in those regards, and I think that was a key factor in its early success.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OK I understand maybe not wanting stuff like an EXP loss or loss of gear. That is mostly due to the way gear works in WoW. The reason it did work in a game like UO is because gear was very easy to get and most of it was player crafted. Obviously if you spent 4 months or more getting geared it would be stupid to have something in game where you could get DCed and lose everything.

But why is there no consequences for the social aspect of the game? I remember some guy raging for an entire BG once. He told people they failed at life. They should go kill themselves. I think he used every possible swear word in the same sentence. What happened? Nothing because I had him in the same BG again a few days later and he was still saying the same stuff. Thats just unacceptable. If people go into dungeons and are bad nothing happens. If you are an asshole or are a bad then why should the community be able to do something about it? Yes I know I could just put them on ignore but why should they still continue to take part in the game? There should be a penalty for trying to be bad or rude on purpose.
    Before the age of the LFD / LFR (Vanilla to very early WoTLK) and so on, you had to behave yourself on your server or you became a pariah of the server and no one would run anything with you word would spread very fast about who not to run with. And in the end the only way to get away from it was either stop playing or move to another server. Now with LFG everything and name changing and what not the pariah factor is a lot less than it once was..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    WoW was designed this way from the very getgo. If you don't remember, this was the big 'thing' about WoW that made UO and EQ players go "What do you mean I only have to run back to my body when I die?". It was blasted as a game for casuals from before the game even launched, anyone who argues that the game became casual is just kidding themselves.
    Yeah I remember that how the UO and EQ players hated on WoW so much because it was a more forgiving MMO. Most of the later and upcoming games go the WoW route with the exception of EVE which I have been told is like the WO and EQ of old in terms of losing precious items and having to start from scratch all over again.. Even D3 has that in Nightmare mode once you die ya have to start all over again..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    because it became a game for filthy casuals
    so youre blaming casuals for the fact the concept of the game hasnt changed since the day of release?
    no wonder youre banned, making crass comments like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    This. WoW became successful as a casual game. Hardcore games where your gear drops, you risk losing everything if you die, where factions play a major part in where you can and cannot go, etc. Those games all exist. They are not ultra successful. WoW is.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"