Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    You cant exactly tell how well an endgame is structured. If SWTOR or GW2 actually had a good endgame when i played them at launch I would have stayed playing them. FFARR was the same way crappy end game. I have decided I wont preorder games either unless its to support something that really means something to me like a new/reamake ff7 or Legacy of Kain game /castwish

Ill wait to see how live eso goes and what people think and get more info before I spend my money on it.
    I wont preorder WoD until I start seeing more realistic info from the Beta
    Some people care less about End-Game and more about the journey to get there.

I preordered SWTOR. Was I disappointed that I didn't stick it with for years to come? Yeah, I suppose. Did my money go to waste? Hell no, the leveling experience for the first characters is awesome! By far one of my favorite MMO Leveling experiences.

Resuming, in my opinion, Pre-orders are nice.. IF you do some research and you are sure you will like what you'll get. Some beta experience of some sort, for example. If one is pre-ordering out of impulse or based on simply hype, it might backfire on you later on.

You're acting like MMOs are the only games you can pre-order when they're actually a very small fraction. Pre-ordered Dark Souls 2 and I'm super happy about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Well that's a pretty long post about pre-orders.

I never understood why anyone would pre-order anything anyway.

Honestly OP, the problem is not with developers it is with you. Pre-orders are fine, but ´entitled´ people seem to lose all sense of logic. How can anyone not think of pre-orders as kinda an educated gamble. If you gamble and lose, it is YOUR fault for doing it, don´t blame anyone else for YOUR decision. And this crap about developers hyping their game.. well.. duh... Elder Scrolls is a great example. The majority of people I know who played the beta had similar experience to me.. the game sucks. The animations are slow and clunky, and overall the game takes away the best parts of Skyrim and adds the worst parts of MMOs.

For developers, they get taught real fast. If you are a development house, you can only get away with ONE scam pre-order and then you might as well close shop.. I will give you the example of Age of Conan. Age of Conan was probably the biggest scam yet as far as pre-orders and betas. The beta was extremely limited, but players were assured that the higher levels were similar to the quality of the first few levels. People in the closed beta under NDA knew this was a lie but couldn´t tell anyone, they also were told that a miracle patch was coming before launch. Neither happened, the game launched almost identical to what it was in beta, and the game died within 3 months ( ok, on life-support). In any event. When Funcom, last year, launched Secret World? Guess what.. NOBODY pre-ordered and nobody even bought the game at launch, everyone knew to wait and see how the game was from other players.. and well, the game was dead from day 1. While the game itself was fairly decent, there were not enough players playing the first month and promoting it to overcome the pre-order fears from everyone who remembered AOC.

There is the saying ´buyer beware´.. Have some freakin common sense. If a game is under NDA for too long, if independant reviewers are mostly disappointed ( TESO) and basically if it smells fishy.. just freakin avoid the pre-order and wait a week to hear what real players are saying. Raise your hand if you think someone playing on day 1 of WOW had any advantage over someone who started 3 months later?

The only company I ever pre-order from is Blizzard, because basically the worst game they ever made ( D3) was still a great game for me. It is possible I would gamble on a kickstarter or something like that, but just to support what I think is a worthwhile project. But even then I know that they are obviously hyping their own game, they are making a game they love. I am not gonig to go rant on the forums about the woes of pre-orders. Buyer beware.. it is your gamble, not their problem.

Pre-orders are great for developers, it allows them to gauge interest... but players just need to be smarter and stop acting so entitled. If you pre-order, have some common sense and realize you are buying something you might not like.
    Last edited by Azrile; 2014-03-16 at 01:55 PM.

As long as you only pre-order games you know you will like, it's fine. I guess that's the hard part.

I was told that this was going to be a guide.

I want my money back.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Never been unhappy with my preorders... Stop preordering if its such a big deal for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    i only preorder console games so i can be sure to get it physically and not be sad when they run out.
    Does this even happen? Are you from the States? I can't recall any game ever running out. The only good reason to pre order is to get the goodies that come with a preorder. Amazon usually does this best by giving you a $10 gift card. Sometime they come with neat conversation pieces but as far as running out. I haven't seen it. Maybe I just never heard of it and it's a common problem. I'm in the U.S.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    I'm not able to feel sorry for people wasting their money on pre-orders for every new MMO. There are people like the OP who praise every upcoming MMO to heaven without ever realizing those games are trash.

Age of conan OMFG gonna be so awesome >preorder >crap >> dead
    RIFT OMFG gonna be so awesome >preorder >crap > dead
    TERA OMFG gonna be so awesome >preorder >crap > dead
    AiON OMFG So epic gonna bE THE next MMO >preorder >crap > dead game
    SWTOR omfg this is so gonna be the best MMO EVER >preorder >crap > dead
    LOTR MMO, OMG gonna be so the best MMO ever made >preorder >crap > dead
    ESO OMFG this time for real, best MMO there will ever be >preorder >crap > dead
    Wildstar OFMG but THIS time for real best MMO ever! >preorder >crap > dead

Ppl who don't get this pattern should lose money as a punishment for their weak mind
    Feel the same way about WoD.

I preordered Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2... I never preordered another game.

I pre-order when there is incentive to do so. I don't why you'd bother otherwise. I remember years ago when FF12(?) came out the guy at Gamestop (which I don't even bother with anymore thanks to same-day delivery from Amazon) was trying hard to convince me to pre-order it or I might not get a copy. I scoffed at the idea. Sure enough, when I came into the store on release day they literally had an entire wall filled with copies of the game. I just rolled my eyes and walked out of the store.

Deleted
    I'm not able to feel sorry for people wasting their money on pre-orders for every new MMO. There are people like the OP who praise every upcoming MMO to heaven without ever realizing those games are trash.

Ppl who don't get this pattern should lose money as a punishment for their weak mind
    While I agree preordering is bad, you're kind of biased, aren't you?

Rift is still doing ok, it never had millions of players, but it's still doing reasonable.
    Tera, again, doing ok.
    SWToR, since they went free to play is actually doing much better.
    ESO and Wildstar haven't even been launched!

Did you mean this as a joke?

None of those games are dead. In fact, many of them are pumping out content at a decent rate.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Elder Scrolls Online easily has 30-40 hours of content available in its beta, with keys available to every single person who signed up. They also offer refunds if you bought from them direct. I don't know what more you want for a game than that. I've never been unhappy with a game I've pre-ordered because I always research fully before I pre-order it and don't have unrealistic expectations from games.
    But Shamanic, don't you know? A new MMO is supposed to be as huge and immersive as the decade+ long WoW that we all love, or else it blows and isn't worth anyone's time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just preorder games if I want to make sure my physical copy is going to be there on release day.

Some rampant overthinking entitlement going on in this thread.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

15+ Year Old Account

The people that want the MMO to die as soon as it's released hype it up more than the people that will actually play it. And since "best MMO ever" is all a matter of opinion, all of those very well could be the best MMO in someone's right mind. Just because it doesn't have over a million players, doesn't mean it's dead. In my opinion, The Secret World is the best MMO I've ever played, and for it's little player base, it's still going strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I preorded Guild Wars 2 and the War Z, told myself I never would again, then I bought fucking Day Z stand alone. Burnt 3 times :S

Though I don't doubt your point. It is quite acurate from history that most MMOs start off over hyped with a subscription and end up going F2P. F2P =/= dead. It either means they were not getting enough players or money from Subs so they need to switch (TERA, SWTOR) or F2P would be more profitable for them at this current age of time (Rift).

I do expect W* and ESO to go to B2P or F2P. I mean elder scrolls before never required a subscription so why would it now? (with worse graphics then its predecessor) and W* is just being over hyped.
    Last edited by zito; 2014-03-16 at 03:48 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I preorded Guild Wars 2 and the War Z, told myself I never would again, then I bought fucking Day Z stand alone. Burnt 3 times :S
    Eh, if what they're showing you is good there's no way to tell how the final product will be, especially since you'd be buying it just based off of those and haven't been in a beta. It's like seeing a movie while only having seen the teaser trailer and read basic outline, may sound good, cast may be great, but it can still be a terrible movie. And life goes on, games come and go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post

I do expect W* and ESO to go to B2P or F2P. I mean elder scrolls before never required a subscription so why would it now? and W* is just being over hyped.

I hope it just goes B2P with a base price of like 30 dollars after summer. (Even though I pre-ordered it).

I hope it just goes B2P with a base price of like 30 dollars after summer. (Even though I pre-ordered it).
    History dictates if you are not in Japan, it will go F2P.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.