Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Old Player Looking to Return.

Hey,

I'm an old player, quit just before mists came out, but after a while of not playing i'm thinking about returning to the game when the next expansion comes out.

If i were to join again how has the game progressed since late Cataclysm, I was a high end raider before I left with 6/8 Heroic Deathwing on my warlock (which i loved) When joining again i wish to be more casual with raiding and PvP.

So my questions How have the changes effected my class (not sure if the general is the correct forum for this question)? and how is the casual side of game play these days? Has LFR been improved anymore? What about the causal part of the game that isnt LFR dungeons and PvP, is the current state allowing alot of random fun things to do?

Thanks for your input!

Deleted
    People here will tell you that everything is shit and that the LFR is a cesspit. Truth to be told, it's not too bad. For someone who wants a casual experience, Flex is a pretty good raiding option. I would advice looking up addons such as oQueue or sites such as Openraid to aid with getting Flex groups.

The casual raiding side of things is great at the moment. LFR is sightseeing raiding and not something you should aspire towards. But Flex offers a pretty solid casual option, until you want to upgrade to normal/heroic raiding.

First and foremost find a nice guild with nice people that do things together. Try to avoid random group content, stick with your guild. LFR is still the same, boring easy and full of mouthbreathers. Can be very frustrating.

5 man dungeons are a joke. There is no challenge what so ever. Just corridors with target dummies you obliterate in 10 seconds for valor tokens.

Flex raiding is cool for casual play, it's around the difficulty of what normal modes were in wrath. A good place to start with raiding.

PvP is also frustrating. The balance I think is pretty good, but healers are ridiculous and invincible, and CC is out of control. They are fixing this for the next expansion though.

Locks are in a great place, especially if you prefer destro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by issryn View Post
    Hey,

I'm an old player, quit just before mists came out, but after a while of not playing i'm thinking about returning to the game when the next expansion comes out.

If i were to join again how has the game progressed since late Cataclysm, I was a high end raider before I left with 6/8 Heroic Deathwing on my warlock (which i loved) When joining again i wish to be more casual with raiding and PvP.

So my questions How have the changes effected my class (not sure if the general is the correct forum for this question)? and how is the casual side of game play these days? Has LFR been improved anymore? What about the causal part of the game that isnt LFR dungeons and PvP, is the current state allowing alot of random fun things to do?

Thanks for your input!
    Locks are in a great place, not sure if they will be in WoD or not but they 'should' still be in a good place.

Casual raiding now exists with Flex. Flex isn't as retarded as LFR (though if you get a bad enough raid leader, it can be) but not really close to any kind of serious raiding. WoD is going to bring a lot of pretty exciting changes, particularly cross-server normal raiding (will be called heroic, heroics will be called Mythic, all kind confusing). So I expect WoD to really be MUCH better for casual raider who don't want just fail groups than any expac has ever been.

In short, yeah, you'll have fun, come back in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by issryn View Post
    Hey,

Thanks for your input!
    MMOC will mostly tell you the game is shit in between alt tabbing back to enjoy the game they complain about, so all I can do is give you my experience.

I've played since Vanilla, started raiding in BC, started clearing heroic content once it was released in Wrath, continued through Cata, took a short break after clearing most of heroic firelands, came back to clear H DS.

I missed most of MOP due to rl issues, came back a few months ago. Just recently got back into raiding after gearing up and getting some other life stuff in order (i.e. finding a job that pays enough to work 40 hours instead of 80 hours a week), and I've only cleared normal Siege a couple times so far, and haven't gotten into heroic yet, although I'm certainly able to.

As a player who has played since the end of vanilla, although I hate pandaria (the environment, not the expansion), so far from MOP, the game is better than it's ever been. There's so many things to do and much of the tedium has been turned into actual fun (for those willing to partake, of course. MMOC, with it's own brand of nerdism will complain about everything without even doing it).

If you're planning on coming back in WoD anyway, may as well get the expansion now, get your free 90 and give it a shot. Nothing to lose, really. If you don't like it, unsub until the expansion (which looks SOOO amazing).

And if you do come back and are looking for a place to gear up (and avoid LFR, which I STRONGLY suggest) and raid pretty soon, message me. Recently started a guild that's preparing mainly to raid Mythic in WoD, but will be clearing SoO content shortly until the expansion releases.

Hope this helps, and hope you find what you're looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post

And if you do come back and are looking for a place to gear up (and avoid LFR, which I STRONGLY suggest) and raid pretty soon, message me. Recently started a guild that's preparing mainly to raid Mythic in WoD, but will be clearing SoO content shortly until the expansion releases.

Hope this helps, and hope you find what you're looking for
    Not the OP, but that's really kind of you. Are you Horde or Alliance?
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

The game is basicly only about the Casuals now a Days so ure gonna be all right. Warlocks are OP in both PvP and PvE atm. Your gonna have a hard time getting into end game stuff since u dont have any achievements, other than that should be fine(Unless u got a lot of gold or friends to boost you)

Quote Originally Posted by Peyj View Post
    Not the OP, but that's really kind of you. Are you Horde or Alliance?
    US Horde

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    US Horde
    Me too!

Probably totally different timezones, though, sadly.

I'd like to start trying my hand at Flex, but am pretty worried I'm going to hit the same old roadblocks "no you haven't done it before, you can't come" etc. I took a break shortly after Flex was announced so I kind of missed getting in on that first wave.

Might give it a try this weekend anyway.
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyj View Post
    Me too!

Probably totally different timezones, though, sadly.

I'd like to start trying my hand at Flex, but am pretty worried I'm going to hit the same old roadblocks "no you haven't done it before, you can't come" etc. I took a break shortly after Flex was announced so I kind of missed getting in on that first wave.

Might give it a try this weekend anyway.
    I'm EST, I work all my 40 hours in 2.5 days, so i have 4.5 days off each week. I get off at 7am tomorrow, I'll sleep a bit, and then I'll be on pretty much the rest of the week. Message me for my RealID and I'll add you. We can get you in some Flex's easy

The game is basicly only about the Casuals now a Days so ure gonna be all right.