Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Boosted my Lock, Green fire in boosted/TI gear?

Hey guys! I've wanted to play a warlock since I first started playing back in vanilla, but was never able to stick through the leveling process, so I felt that the WoD boost was the perfect time to play one!

Lucky for everyone else, I realized within the first 5 minutes how shitty of a warlock I am that I decided not to hop right into LFR like every other booster. Instead, I sent over some Timeless Isle gear and decided to use the Green Fire quest boss to hone my skills--and it's going about as well as any of you might expect (meaning not very well at all).

I am able to kill off the first set of imps about 3/4ths of the time now, but I can never manage to down the fel doggies. Funnily enough, they usually kill me before they even remove the enslave on the pit lord.

Has anyone else here managed to finish the questline in boosted/timeless gear alone? I realize that gear isn't really the problem, but I was wondering if there were any specific tactics for this patch that helps in Kan-killing at lower ilvls.

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arastro/simple

Deleted
    It is perfectly doable at your ilvl.

How do you try to kill them ? They usually last a maximum of 10 seconds. Havoc on one and chaos bolt on another one (with trinkets, engineer gloves, ...). They should be close to dying. If you have ambers, use it for shadowburn to finish them.

It is the only hard part of the encounter.

You should also check Sparkuggz youtube channel because he did a video with the 483 ilvl gear.
    You should try the proving grounds too.

Good luck
    Last edited by mmocceca20d1fe; 2014-03-20 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiveNzin0 View Post
    It is perfectly doable at your ilvl.

How do you try to kill them ? They usually last a maximum of 10 seconds. Havoc on one and chaos bolt on another one (with trinkets, ing gloves, ...). They should be close to dying. If you have ambers, use it for shadowburn to finish them.

It is the only hard part of the encounter.

You should also check Sparkuggz youtube channel because he did a video with the 483 ilvl gear.
    You should try the proving grounds too.

Good luck
    I've been doing the Havoc, CB the second, then burn method. But I guess I always botch it, somehow. After watching Sparkuggz video, and another one I'm pretty sure that I'm missing the chaos bolt he casts right after he spawns the hunters--so I'm going to get weak auras going ot make it more obvious when that happens.

I'll definitely look into the proving grounds; it's something I've never even done on my main since I took a huge break during this expac.

Thanks for the advice!

Sparkuggz made a guide for this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIq2umtapA. Maybe this will help you.

Proving grounds and challenge modes can help a lot ( without worrying about having to get gold, merely silver, bronze or just finishing will teach you valuable gameplay for your lock)

You can hide the pitlord los from the dogs in a small corner right side of the portal before the dogs come out, they wont touch it. Make sure you make use of pitlord abilities all the time like the breath and the heal, make macros. I did mine around 470ish ilvl, 463 blues with LFR weapon. I remember i also used a purification pot back then just to extend berserk lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt you understand your class enough at this point to be able to do it with 483 greens

Deleted
    I see that you haven't picked up the 100% drop chance burden of eternity for a 535 ilvl gear piece yet.

http://www.wowhead.com/object=221673

Deleted
    As said, while it is technicly possible, you might find it easier to gear up a bit first and then do it, trinkets + weapons are huge upgrades to be gotten and could realy make the fight a ton easier.

If your set on doing it with this gear tho, expect to learn the fight by heart and not make a single mistake before making it.

Deleted
    Isn't the itemlevel from Levelboost gear 486?

When looking at the op's armory it seems this gear has itemlevel 450...

At least get 20k timeless coin weapon first...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Drop rate for gear in LFR is pretty decent now, I would get a full clear of LFR ToT, SoO before really attempting the last boss. Maybe even see if you have friends that will carry you through some of flex.

The higher ilvl you have the more forgiving the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    Isn't the itemlevel from Levelboost gear 486?

When looking at the op's armory it seems this gear has itemlevel 450...
    This is a known bug people are having. Same thing happens with those that have the 550 ilvl pvp gear where it shows up on the armory as 540.

@OP

I would just play around at work at bit by bit. Get some gear going get comfortable with the class and then try it out, note where you need to improve and work on that.

And to be fair there are people with 500+ ilvl that struggle to complete it so this fight is less about gear and more about managing the different parts of the fight.

My ilvl was ~489 when I did it. It's totally doable, but it will be difficult. Trinkets or weapons will make the biggest impact for you.

My friend did it at 462 ilvl he made a vid and everything. He has don't the quest for people who couldn't with 522 Gear as well.

Thanks for all the great input! I definitely want to try it with some better gear, I feel like there's no margin of error with how I'm geared now and I just don't have the warlocky experience to do it perfectly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if you just boosted; while it's technically doable in that gear, there is just no way you'll have the experience with the class to manage the fight properly. You might as well spend your time more productively getting used to the class and getting some gear in the process.

15+ Year Old Account
    This was the first expansion I ever played destro. I played a lock for oh 5-6 years before the swap and it is/was the most difficult spec for me to get used to. Why? I had never played it.

Then to get tossed into green fire as your first quest/event is just brutal.

I don't know if I could do it now at 557, something tells me I'd wreck it but after having done it at 490-ish the memories are so painful I'd rather even not go back. Some of the methods I used then aren't usable now like the portal "can't target me" debfuff/buff.
    Last edited by Misuteri; 2014-03-21 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaan View Post
    Drop rate for gear in LFR is pretty decent now, I would get a full clear of LFR ToT, SoO before really attempting the last boss. Maybe even see if you have friends that will carry you through some of flex.

The higher ilvl you have the more forgiving the encounter.

QFT. Srsly. Since deciding to gear up some more, I ran through some of the LFR wings in ToT and SoO. I've gotten a ton of gear in week. I really think I've gotten more drops from LFR this one week on my booster lock than I have in months on my main.

LFR has had the added bonus of being a huge confidence booster...I was really worried I wouldn't be able to keep up with the groups, but there is so much fail that I have been consistently in the top 5 on every wing I've done >.>

Your gear is more than sufficient to take the boss down, I did it back at release with full pvp malevolent gear and pvp trinket as well (lolz), it was hard though I had to regem myself to full hit gems... And just don't forget elixir to remove doom spell, I was wiping like an idiot without realising what was killing me instantly...