Why cant people have a choice in gear for PvP?

One of the things I like about PvP in Guild Wars 2 is the fact that you can tailor your gear to your playstyle. If you want to be more tanky you stack vitality (health) or toughness(armor) If you want to you can go full glass cannon and use berserker's gear (crit damage and crit chance). Or you can find a happy medium and have a mix of both damage and tank gear. So why cant that work in WoW? Wouldnt it create a lot more comps and play styles if you can mix and match your gear. Right now everyone uses exactly the same gear. Theres no difference at all between classes other than str/dex/int and I think that removes a lot of creative play. I mean why cant someone use full PvE gear? Sure they would blow people up but also they would lack the defense of using PvP gear so its a fair trade off. Why shouldnt teams be allowed to tailor their gear to the way they want to play?

You mean like gems and enchants?

So stack stam. Stack crit or mastery or haste. Very different feels if you stack haste or mastery as a warlock. Go demo and stack stam and DA, and you're a tank.

We did have that before to some degree when resilience wasn't baseline. People used to stack resilience gems/enchants or go raw stats depending on what they wanted to do. I think the overall idea of the system was good, it made differences in how people geared noticeable without being overwhelming. But as the game progressed, stats etc. increased exponentially damage got out of control and one consequence of that was to add base resilience to help out pve geared ppl that wanted to pvp or new players.

Now that with WoD scaling back on stats and having larger base health and less gems (but more powerful), i think we could stand to explore the idea of removing or only having partial base resilience, making PvP gear superior for all forms of PvP. Perhaps with this new model your desire of 'customizing' your gearing would work.

while i agree that GW2 has a pretty good set up for that kind of play i believe WoW is trying to make it about player skill rather then gear, that not to say gw2 is skilless, that game is about the combination of your build and gear, whereas WoW is trying i believe to move to a more "we all have the same gear and i beat you because i used my class ability's better then you did this time" . . . . now if there doing a good job of that is another matter entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    I mean why cant someone use full PvE gear? Sure they would blow people up but also they would lack the defense of using PvP gear so its a fair trade off.
    I assume you didn't play during season 4, 8, 10 or 11? It wasn't exactly fun to meet PvE gear (Legendary weapons + trinkets/tiersets) in arena. During season 10 and 11, having access to legendaries and heroic trinkets easily gave you an extra 200 rating, per player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    I assume you didn't play during season 4, 8, 10 or 11? It wasn't exactly fun to meet PvE gear (Legendary weapons + trinkets/tiersets) in arena. During season 10 and 11, having access to legendaries and heroic trinkets easily gave you an extra 200 rating, per player.
    I remember wotlk... shadowmourne was pretty op.
    I faced a team of dk and paladin and the dk had shadowmourne twice.... i was with a double warrior team. We lost first fight because well... dk and frostmourne.
    The second fight we won somehow, surprisingly we outplayed them... and our gear wasnt even that good, i had a pve weapon from the ICC first wing and my friend had 1.7k rated weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by quitefrankly View Post
    You mean like gems and enchants?
    not to mention the various offset peices, however when people have done the math as to what is best people just follow. nobody likes different if they've heard the math says something else is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    i'll always remember the beginning of S3 when warriors in high end guilds had Cats Edge and totally 3 shotted people lol
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2014-03-23 at 02:15 PM.

Personally I think making pve gear useless in instanced pvp is just a silly move. I'm hoping next expansion they make both types of gear equally viable and let the game be decided by who the better player is.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Personally I think making pve gear useless in instanced pvp is just a silly move. I'm hoping next expansion they make both types of gear equally viable and let the game be decided by who the better player is.
    You mean letting the player who has more time to do PvE content that has nothing to do with PvP win because of blatantly OP PvE gear compared to PvP gear? Yeah... no.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    No thanks. Use your PvE gear for PvE, and PvP gear for PvP. They should be equally damning when not used in the appropriate setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they actually did allow this in the past. Before the PvE ilevel downscaling in arenas/bgs, people used PvE gear all the time. You could mix and match PvP and PvE gear to find the right mix between the damage/survivability you're looking for. On paper it looks good... you get freedom to gear your character the way you want, and have a unique advantage over others.

Remember the trinket Vicious talisman of the shado-pan assault? That is just an example of how unbalanced things can get. Gaining 8,800 agility on a proc was overpowered and people were globalling everyone. That is just one example... you can go back and find other instances where PvE gear was overpowered. Look at cataclysm, rogues running legendary daggers, pve trinkets, and pve set bonuses where they just one shot everyone.

If you ask me though, I am all for the PvE gear in arena with no downscaling. I like the ability to mix and match whatever you want and play however you want. Blizzard disagrees though, it look them years to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    No thanks. Use your PvE gear for PvE, and PvP gear for PvP. They should be equally damning when not used in the appropriate setting.
    This. No PvE gear in PvP is the only way to go. We don't need more Vial of Shadows and other retarded items ruining PvP when it finally looks like they might make it interesting by toning down burst and making outcomes determined on better play.