Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The deathknight launch was so successful you can bet they will bring something dark and demonic back to the table such as illidanish dh... not some mix of 2 different things. We need badass dark demonic type characters... not pandas/monks
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Deleted
    I doubt we'll see a new class in WoW tbh. WoD could be the start of something new (feature-lite expansions), especially if it is a success, then Blizzard have no reason to go through the torment that is adding and balancing a new class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    Ok first of all I used a tool to search blue posts before the 2006 new forums, http://blue.cardplace.com/ and there was nothing about ranged tanks, then I used http://www.wowblues.com/ to search all the blue threads until the new forums and found one thread that uses the words ranged followed by tank http://www.wowblues.com/eu/lithanial...305842304.html and that is positive. So the time line is off as this question could of only existed in Cataclysm onward, now I haven't found any means to search through the recent forum blue posts but, as is there is no reason to believe that ranged tanks are off the table.
    Thank you.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Which can be retconned for any new class. What is the problem here?
    Undermining a key aspect of the class design space. As I said - if changing/retconning the design space for the DH was possible/desireable/wanted/viable then the overlap wouldn't be an issue. You also wouldn't end up with a Demon Hunter and that's the price you'd have to pay.

So - could be retconned? Yes. Would be? No. The entire point is to add the DH to the game using the current design space. You could get away with minor details such as ability names and some aspects of gameplay, but the aspects that define the very identity players want - such as the demonic theme - can't really be removed without changing or destroying the identity.

Retcons aren't a solution.

And I don't know why you're still hung up on Demon Hunters needing to summon demons.
    I said **Use** not summon. They don't need to summon, but there is no reason they couldn't or wouldn't.

In the case of Demon Hunter player class, they wouldn't need to summon demons at all, or cast spells with Demonic magic.
    If they don't use Demon magic, they aren't Demon Hunters. You keep trying to change the design space from what it is to what you want it to be. And what you want it to be isn't a Demon Hunter. Demon Hunters use magic. They cast spells. They make use of demon magic. It's part of who they are, part of what makes them fearsome, deadly warriors.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2014-03-23 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    So - could be retconned? Yes. Would be? No. The entire point is to add the DH to the game using the current design space. You could get away with minor details such as ability names and some aspects of gameplay, but the aspects that define the very identity players want - such as the demonic theme - can't really be removed without changing or destroying the identity.
    Yet to make a Warlock that is melee and incorporates the creation of Demon Hunters is a retcon for all Warlocks. You are absolutely fine with that. It's a hypocrisy that defeats your entire argument.

No Night Elf would be a Demo-summoning Warlock. You are willing to retcon this to allow Demon Hunters to be a part of Warlocks. Do you not see the entire fallacy behind this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, here's the basic rundown of the specs. I'll be adding it to the OP as well;

The Artificer

Theme

The Artificer is a hero that fuses magic and technology in order to protect allies and defeat enemies.

Armor: Leather to Mail
    Main Stat: Agility
    Weapons: Bows, Crossbows, Guns, 1h swords, 1h axes, Daggers

Core Gameplay

+Tinker: Allows the player to take weapons and reconstruct them into new more advanced forms of weaponry. The type of weapons capable of being tinkered with are dependent on spec. For example, the tank spec can create powerful hand cannons, while the DPS spec can create pistols or twin crossbows.

+Salvage: Salvage allows you to collect Scrap from your used up contraptions and devices. You will use Scraps in the Tinker process. The more powerful or complex the weapon, the more Scraps required. Scraps are also used for cooldowns and to increase the power of certain abilities.

+Artifacts: Each spec is governed by an artifact. These artifacts determine the type of energy each spec receives, and how it powers their weaponry. The Artifacts are as follows: Lightning, Fire, and Shadow. Artificers can combine scraps to form an artifact to empower themselves.

Lightning Artifact
    Fire Artifact
    Shadow Artifact

Artifacts act as cooldowns for their respective specs. Each spec benefits differently from their artifact. Artificers can construct artifacts from Scraps. You may only have 3 Artifacts at a time, and when you use one, there is a 5 minute cooldown before you can use them again. The Technician has a shorter cooldown time than the other specs, due to the nature of the artifact's effect on its spec.

Specs

Cannoneer:Tank Spec

2H: Can construct large hand cannons for tanking/protection purposes.

Ranged tank. Uses their Tinker and salvage ability to craft large cannons to use in battle. These cannons have a much shorter range than standard guns, but are more powerful, and cause a great deal of threat. Carrying these heavy weapons makes the Cannoneer stronger and tougher than the average Artificer, making them a literal tank on the battlefield. While seemingly a brute, the Cannoneer is perfectly capable of using their wide array of devices to aid them in battle. Their artifact is Fire, due to the explosive and destructive nature of their abilities.

Visual:

Technician: Healing/Utility/Minor DPS

2H or DW: Can tinker twin pistols or crossbows.

Ranged DPS and Healing spec. Uses a variety of grenades, turrets, and guns to support allies and occasionally deal damage. The Technician uses everything from robotic turrets, to gas grenades to healing sprays, however, their DPS is generally very low, and they are much better as a supporter or healer instead of as a DPS. Lacking the sheer power of Cannoneers, and the finesse of the Stalkers, the Technicians make up for their lack of physicality with their intellectual ingenuity. Their artifact is Lightning, which grants them the ability to convert their various weapon systems from destructive to restorative in a blink of an eye.

Visual:

Stalker: Ranged/Melee DPS hybrid

2H or DW: Can tinker twin pistols, or crossbows. Could potentially use melee weapons.

A hybrid melee/Ranged spec, the Stalker is a master of elusive combat. Capable of moving in and out of the shadows and quickly dispatching their target. Their affinity towards the Shadow artifact grants them a myriad of abilities like shadow porting, more quick movements, and other dark abilities. Their shadow abilities culminate into the Vengeance ability, which transforms them into an avatar of death and destruction.

Visual:
    Last edited by Teriz; 2014-03-23 at 12:49 AM.

Deleted
    Artificer, your idea is quite brilliant imo, fanboys wanting to play illidan class for so long.. never gonne happen get over it lal, there's never gonne be a demon hunter.. it's abilities would be to similar to warlock and hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by az2d View Post
    Artificer, your idea is quite brilliant imo, fanboys wanting to play illidan class for so long.. never gonne happen get over it lal, there's never gonne be a demon hunter.. it's abilities would be to similar to warlock and hunter.
    Something about that last word seems out of place.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty interesting I don't really like tinkering as a mechanic though, it feels odd and akin to soul shard farming on old warlocks..

- - - Updated - - -

I've said this before and I'll say it again Demon Hunters are by far the most popular potential class and have very easy lore tie ins (return of the legion and Illidan)
    and gameplay tie ins (subraces and hero classes), that alone would be enough to consider it a strong class archetype and that's not including the hints about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed the concept. I think it definitely has potential.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    It's pretty interesting I don't really like tinkering as a mechanic though, it feels odd and akin to soul shard farming on old warlocks..
    Its in there to give the class the freedom to craft its own weaponry, and be further distinct from existing classes. I don't think Blizzard's going to add Hand Cannons or Pistols into the game anytime soon, so the Tinker system allows us to have those weapons without worrying about disrupting the weapon loot table.

I feel it also gives the class a more general technology theme along with all the firepower and magic.

I do appreciate the feedback though.

At first, I was like "no." Then I sat there, read the post, and thought about it like a decent human being without jumping to conclusions and making assumptions. Now, all I can say is "yes."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Its in there to give the class the freedom to craft its own weaponry, and be further distinct from existing classes. I don't think Blizzard's going to add Hand Cannons or Pistols into the game anytime soon, so the Tinker system allows us to have those weapons without worrying about disrupting the weapon loot table.

I feel it also gives the class a more general technology theme along with all the firepower and magic.

I do appreciate the feedback though.
    Yeah it does add to the tech nature of the class, but I feel you could just as easily add them as tinker only transmog options, and it'd maintain the same visual flair without the need of making a whole new complicated system.

I would totally play a fuckin artificer (gunner) btw, but for heavens sake stop pretending this will appease anyone wanting WoW DH bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I would totally play a fuckin artificer (gunner) btw, but for heavens sake stop pretending this will appease anyone wanting WoW DH bro.
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the thing, too. No one who is a diehard demon hunter fan will accept this as a replacement to that class.

I do like the idea, and yea - maybe just going into a spec gives you a weapon that's the type that spec uses. Easier than a whole new loot system, though it would be lame to see every other Artificier with the same weapons.

Although not what most people would expect I do like it. I think this would be a sweet class. I just think Rogue specs aren't different enough, they should be Sluethly assassin, duelist/buccaneer/swashbuckler, and Dark magic wielding blademaster (A la Demon Hunter.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I certainly understand what you're saying. The problem is that that concept is too similar to existing classes to work. This concept provides the necessary fills in the game's current gaps, while also giving you a dark, shadowy warrior who dual wields.

We could even have a "Demon Hunter" spec. They would just use twin crossbows or pistols instead of twin glaives.
    Similarity has always existed and will always exist. There is no doubt for it. Paladins are similar to Priests . Demon Hunters to Warlocks. If Blizzard created a lot of Holy Abilities for Paladin/Priest it can create a lot of Shadow/Fire/Arcane/Fel Abilities for Demon Hunter/Warlock .
    Better adding both tinker and DH than Artificer. Please dont take the concept of DIII . This is WoW.
    My youtube Channel : Arberian021
    WoW isn't all about new concepts or themes, it's about classic archetypes that fit the Holy Trinity gameplay style of Warcraft.
    Demon Hunter Class Idea
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel good, iirc, don't quote me on it

This is probably the best idea I've heard for a new class idea. I don't really care about it's boh demon hunting and tinkering but I like it really has a different feel to all the existing classes.

I'd play it. Would hope the tech side was played up more than the "vengeance" side in the dps spec, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    its a cool idea but in my opinion we will never see a demon hunter or tinker in wow. There is not enough lore or expansion types to warrant the introduction of that sort of class. Monks made sense with MoP. DK's made sense with WoTLK. What sort of expansion would an artificer work in?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Monks made sense with MoP. DK's made sense with WoTLK. What sort of expansion would an artificer work in?
    In Startcraft or HotS expansion. Not a WoW expansion.