Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    this may be the case for high end warlocks like you, but for your everyday lock out there demon is harder than destro, delivers less, and causes drama on most guilds, unless they really respect you.

as for legendary, the legendary gem is not as important for destro as it is for affliction and demon, so with lower lvl gear it just gets worse.

my opinion is even tho i loved demon back on 5.0 and it had a good dps/effort ratio, I can't possible play it on progression knowing that destro or affliction can pull more with less effort, of course after we are on farm, no one cares either way.

I don't see how recommending demon to low ilvl characters is a good idea.
    I disagree with this as have played all 3 specs with lower ilvls than most in my group but still managed to pull top 3 numbers with any spec. Play what you enjoy and are good at. If you are still progressing then you should be good enough to pull of numbers with any spec.

It is easy to get ranked as Demo atm too, not many people seem to be recording their raids with demo players (embarassing maybe? )

It definately can extend an e-peen by about 3 inches

I'd go destro if I was you. Demo and aff need gear to scale with and will be way behind destro at that Ilvl (aside from multidot fights as aff). At higher gear levels aff will come out on top in nearly every situation besides fights like garrosh, paragons, siege will depend on your strat. To see what spec is better on each fight look at rankings and keep in mind destro and demo has much better aoe so there'll be more cheesing. You can play demo if you want, but people might get pissed off watching you play a sub optimal spec
    Streaming high end lock, mage and warrior play in 1080p.http://www.twitch.tv/yoloswagins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping View Post
    It is easy to get ranked as Demo atm too, not many people seem to be recording their raids with demo players (embarassing maybe? )

It definately can extend an e-peen by about 3 inches
    You can get a top 100 rank as Demo and still be massively out dpsed by a Destro lock that doesn't make top 500. It doesn't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanattos View Post
    I disagree with this as have played all 3 specs with lower ilvls than most in my group but still managed to pull top 3 numbers with any spec. Play what you enjoy and are good at. If you are still progressing then you should be good enough to pull of numbers with any spec.
    The only explanation to you having top 3 dps with affliction and demo with low item levels is that your group has terrible terrible dps overall. Demo and aff are both not even remotely close to being top 3 speccs on most fights without a high item level + Legendary meta gem + Black blood point blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaky View Post
    The only explanation to you having top 3 dps with affliction and demo with low item levels is that your group has terrible terrible dps overall. Demo and aff are both not even remotely close to being top 3 speccs on most fights without a high item level + Legendary meta gem + Black blood point blank.
    At the time when I did this. Cloak + meta + 568ish for ilvl (with bboy for demo/aff). Now my aff set is 576 and destro set is 574. And I love how your logic says *scratch head hmmm me not understand must mean his group is bad, yes bad group***

At the time when I did this. Cloak + meta + 568ish for ilvl (with bboy for demo/aff). Now my aff set is 576 and destro set is 574. And I love how your logic says *scratch head hmmm me not understand must mean his group is bad, yes bad group***
    So wait, OP has 505 item level, which probably means he doesn't have the cloak nor the gem Yet you come out here and call 568 "lower item levels".. way to be helpful.
    And yes, if you pulled top 3 dps with demo with 568 item level, then your raid dps IS shit, either that, or you're getting incredibly high uptimes on your set bonus+trinkets.
    Last edited by Valq; 2014-03-28 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizii View Post
    So wait, OP has 505 item level, which probably means he doesn't have the cloak nor the gem Yet you come out here and call 568 "lower item levels".. way to be helpful.
    And yes, if you pulled top 3 dps with demo with 568 item level, then your raid dps IS shit, either that, or you're getting incredibly high uptimes on your set bonus+trinkets.
    Yep. You're right. Stay in your world of specialness. You being unable to perform does not dictate the performance of others but again thank you for your narrowminded views.

Back to the OP. Any spec is viable and more importantly the differences are not significant enough to warrant you being bottle necked at this point.

Yep. You're right. Stay in your world of specialness. You being unable to perform does not dictate the performance of others but again thank you for your narrowminded views.

Back to the OP. Any spec is viable and more importantly the differences are not significant enough to warrant you being bottle necked at this point.
    The fact you come back with that, discredits you really, you have no idea how I perform at all, so I don't see where that came from. Could you explain why destro and affliction warlocks generally have much higher parses than demo on most fights? Oh, I suppose they just got lucky or something.

And assuming you're that almighty demo lock you claim to be, you have to be one of the top 30 ranked demo locks on every fight to actually be in the top 3 dps in a raid that contains other competent players. Otherwise, you're not making yourself look good at all

OP has 507 item level, with extremely low amount of haste, crit, and mastery, no meta gem, and no t16 set bonus, so you coming here and telling him that demo is just as good as destro with that type of gear, proves to me how much you know about warlocks, not much for sure.
    Last edited by Valq; 2014-03-28 at 03:32 PM.

Playing a spec you're more comfortable playing is better than trying to play a a spec that may get better output, but you don't really know how to play it.

At this stage in the expansion you should just be playing whatever spec you want, as someone already said, if you're wiping on a boss, there's WAY more than just your spec that's causing the problem.

Lightbulb

The fact you come back with that, discredits you really, you have no idea how I perform at all, so I don't see where that came from. Could you explain why destro and affliction warlocks generally have much higher parses than demo on most fights? Oh, I suppose they just got lucky or something.

And assuming you're that almighty demo lock you claim to be, you have to be one of the top 30 ranked demo locks on every fight to actually be in the top 3 dps in a raid that contains other competent players. Otherwise, you're not making yourself look good at all

OP has 507 item level, with extremely low amount of haste, crit, and mastery, no meta gem, and no t16 set bonus, so you coming here and telling him that demo is just as good as destro with that type of gear, proves to me how much you know about warlocks, not much for sure.
    This is like talking to my 12 year old. I never claimed anything about my expertise other than with a group killing bosses, similar geared you can compete. You took that as a time to try and whip out your peen and stroke it about. I truly do not care what you think about me and have had a pretty good laugh from you this morning. If you truly believe that in comparable gear he is bottle necked then that is your opinion. Posting in forums how much someone's group is "shit" without knowing anything else and then making more false claims then you can stay in your special place. Either way, it's over, we disagree. Congrats the interactions of people has presented itself with a familiar concept.

This is like talking to my 12 year old. I never claimed anything about my expertise other than with a group killing bosses, similar geared you can compete. You took that as a time to try and whip out your peen and stroke it about. I truly do not care what you think about me and have had a pretty good laugh from you this morning. If you truly believe that in comparable gear he is bottle necked then that is your opinion. Posting in forums how much someone's group is "shit" without knowing anything else and then making more false claims then you can stay in your special place. Either way, it's over, we disagree. Congrats the interactions of people has presented itself with a familiar concept.
    Yeah it is over, all my goal was to not to mislead the OP into playing a specc, that clearly is weaker at his gear level, as supported by multiple top warlocks, simcraft, and parses. You on the other hand, just went on to provide nothing but "they're all very close to the point it doesn't make a difference" and .. thats not true.

Yes you are correct, when you're in close to BiS gear with a LMG+BB then demo is a decent specc to play on farm bosses, but thats not were the OP stands at the moment, hence, its misleading.
    Last edited by Valq; 2014-03-28 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You can get a top 100 rank as Demo and still be massively out dpsed by a Destro lock that doesn't make top 500. It doesn't mean anything.
    On some fights I out DPS myself as Demo than when I am destro. It probably has something to do with me being very average as destro, but Demo can be competative

10+ Year Old Account
    On some fights I out DPS myself as Demo than when I am destro. It probably has something to do with me being very average as destro, but Demo can be competative
    I do that all the time, it's not really meaningful. It's just inexperience of handling the spec. I've been doing exactly as I stated in the quote you made, I can't really expect to get much more out of the spec with the gear I have, and yet I'd still be something like 7th, 8th on the meter in raid, meanwhile Destruction and Affliction Warlocks would be significantly ahead fighting over the top 3 spots and not scorring ranks - suggesting that maybe they could get even more from those specs.

Yeah it is over, all my goal was to not to mislead the OP into playing a specc, that clearly is weaker at his gear level, as supported by multiple top warlocks, simcraft, and parses. You on the other hand, just went on to provide nothing but "they're all very close to the point it doesn't make a difference" and .. thats not true.

Yes you are correct, when you're in close to BiS gear with a LMG+BB then demo is a decent specc to play on farm bosses, but thats not were the OP stands at the moment, hence, its misleading.
    Yes. At lower ilvl I assumed the OP was referring to questing or LFR. Both shouldn't matter for spec choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I do that all the time, it's not really meaningful. It's just inexperience of handling the spec. I've been doing exactly as I stated in the quote you made, I can't really expect to get much more out of the spec with the gear I have, and yet I'd still be something like 7th, 8th on the meter in raid, meanwhile Destruction and Affliction Warlocks would be significantly ahead fighting over the top 3 spots and not scorring ranks - suggesting that maybe they could get even more from those specs.
    But unless a player is hardcore raiding where everything counts, I would say it is best to play the personal best spec. I am just a casual raider while I am at uni and I could learn to play Destro flawlessly but I dont see the point. We wipe because of mechanics atm, not missing enrage timers. Plus I would be more likely to quit raiding if I was told I could only play Destro and affli.

I would guess only around 5-10% NEED to playy the best spec for their raids, and they are probably all farming the content by now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by yoloswagginz View Post
    I'd go destro if I was you. Demo and aff need gear to scale with and will be way behind destro at that Ilvl (aside from multidot fights as aff). At higher gear levels aff will come out on top in nearly every situation besides fights like garrosh, paragons, siege will depend on your strat. To see what spec is better on each fight look at rankings and keep in mind destro and demo has much better aoe so there'll be more cheesing. You can play demo if you want, but people might get pissed off watching you play a sub optimal spec
    HEY BUDDY! (It's Raz)

OT: I have not played in a few months, but unless anything has changed, do not play demo unless you really want to work for numbers that afflic can get while not looking. I love demo, and have always loved demo since the end of Wrath, but for Siege it was respec or under perform, and well that's an easy choice in my opinion. I was miserable playing destro/afflic (especially destro since it's my least favorite spec) but killing bosses is why I subbed to the game in the first place.

Now if you are not going to be really progression oriented, do what you want. But, as other have stated, be very prepared to answer people asking you why you are playing sub optimal spec on a pure DPS class.

10+ Year Old Account
    But unless a player is hardcore raiding where everything counts, I would say it is best to play the personal best spec. I am just a casual raider while I am at uni and I could learn to play Destro flawlessly but I dont see the point. We wipe because of mechanics atm, not missing enrage timers. Plus I would be more likely to quit raiding if I was told I could only play Destro and affli.

I would guess only around 5-10% NEED to playy the best spec for their raids, and they are probably all farming the content by now anyway.
    Of course, and so long as things are dying it's all fine. It's when things stop dying, that questions get asked, because more damage simply isn't going to hurt the raid... 1% wipes and all that.

Exactly.

When I used to raid heroic progression most of our wipes were mechanics. That's what we progressed on; getting the nuances of the fight down. Occasionally more burst was required for an add or something. 1% wipes were not nearly as common as they are now in LFR lol.

As I've said, I'll never understand why the WoW community is so hive-mined when it comes to specs and theoretical damage. This is why blizzard ignores us so much on this topic. Between the unbacked claims, the doomsaying, the peening, and the delusions of pro-raiding grandeur we, collectively, have no idea wtf we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    Exactly.

When I used to raid heroic progression most of our wipes were mechanics. That's what we progressed on; getting the nuances of the fight down. Occasionally more burst was required for an add or something. 1% wipes were not nearly as common as they are now in LFR lol.

As I've said, I'll never understand why the WoW community is so hive-mined when it comes to specs and theoretical damage. This is why blizzard ignores us so much on this topic. Between the unbacked claims, the doomsaying, the peening, and the delusions of pro-raiding grandeur we, collectively, have no idea wtf we're talking about.
    You do make valid points, but the thing is, as Jessicka has mentioned several times, if low %'age wipes happen, and you're playing demonology, you're probably the first person in the raid to be blamed for not playing destro/affliction and questions start getting asked.

Otherwise, at ~570-ish item levels it should not really matter that much what specc is played, and shouldn't matter much at this point anyway. But at around 500 item level, if you want any sort of respectable dps, then destro is the way to go until you can actually get the gear for demonology to be able to push out competitive/satisfactory numbers. I guess it depends on the player first and foremost, if someone is playing a warlock for the heck of it, then whatever specc is alright, but if someone is playing a lock to push out the maximum numbers, then demonology is not the way to go!