WW Monk pvp, should I be worried?

Recently returned to wow and rolled a monk to play something fresh. I have noticed that while doing pvp during my leveling that I am getting totally dominated in all bgs. I am in full boas, but get 1 shot by most classes. I can't survive long if I'm focused. Are monks just gear dependant? Will this get easier at level 90? (Currently lol 63).

First off don't use <90 pvp as a guide for how things are at 90. Blizzard have admitted it is an unbalanced environment and that it unlikely to change to any significant degree.

Secondly monks are quite strong end game pvp. Particularly as a 1v1 class.

WW Monks are quite squishy. In fact I'd probably put them near the top of on a list of easiest to kill classes.

That being said, you don't have your whole tool kit yet. They can live fairly well in BGs where people don't focus target. But if you're hit by 2-3 people at once you'll probably die really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    WW Monks are quite squishy.
    No they aren't. In fact, they are probably the least squishy melee in the game at the moment.

WW monks are in a very good place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    No they aren't. In fact, they are probably the least squishy melee in the game at the moment.

This. WW late game is very difficult to beat 1v1

Cool so no need to panic. I figured there were some balancing issues. As long as I can expect to have a fighting chance at 90 then that's good lol.

WW Monks are quite squishy. In fact I'd probably put them near the top of on a list of easiest to kill classes.
    This blew my mind.

I have no idea how WW is while leveling, but at 90 WW is one of the best 1vs1 specs in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehwall View Post
    Cool so no need to panic. I figured there were some balancing issues. As long as I can expect to have a fighting chance at 90 then that's good lol.
    While WW is one of the strongest specs at 90, don't expect to suddenly become a god once you level up and get gear. If you pvp at lower levels, what you seem to do, you should try to learn the spec and get good at it, because the skill cap is quite high. There are a lot of things you can try and perfect at lower levels:
    -learn the priority for using your attacks in pvp
    -practice the paralysis->hand spear strike->stun combo for catching a mage
    -sending a clone to an enemy and then using transcendence:transfer to swap positions with the clone
    -flag spinning with a clone
    -using chi wave on cooldown to help teammates even if you are at 100% health
    -kiting melees while at the same time self-healing when low (usually by rolling over orbs you create in front of you)
    -become good at targeting your skills, such as: spinning fire blossom/roll/charging ox wave so that you hit your target/move the the desired position
    -learn to jump roll for rolling a shorter distance
    -learn to roll sidewards, even backwards if you haven't unbound the key (90% of the monk population still seem to think roll can only be used to roll in front only)
    -etc....

In short, WW is a lot of fun and very strong for PVP, but in order to become good, you need to invest in it and try hard. The skill cap for the class is comparable to rogue/mage so start getting good at it while you level

Yes, they are very squishy. And no, DKs, Warriors, etc. are all far less squishy. WW Monks have Karma and Fort Brew, Fort Brew is pretty easy to just kill through, and Karma can be BoPd/Ice Blocked/Bubbled off. They get completely destroyed in stuns, and any coordinated group will decimate them.

There are 21 WW Monks in the top 1000. So no, they are not in a very good place at all. Don't talk if you don't know what it is you're discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    This blew my mind.

I have no idea how WW is while leveling, but at 90 WW is one of the best 1vs1 specs in the game.
    At no point did anybody ever mention 1v1 at any point in time. In BGs assuming it's a 1v1 situation is retarded. In any group setting outside of 2s WW Monks are the weakest melee, simple as that.

It will not get better at 90. If u wanna go Melee in PvP go Warrior instead like everyone else

Yes, they are very squishy. And no, DKs, Warriors, etc. are all far less squishy. WW Monks have Karma and Fort Brew, Fort Brew is pretty easy to just kill through, and Karma can be BoPd/Ice Blocked/Bubbled off. They get completely destroyed in stuns, and any coordinated group will decimate them.

There are 21 WW Monks in the top 1000. So no, they are not in a very good place at all. Don't talk if you don't know what it is you're discussing.

At no point did anybody ever mention 1v1 at any point in time. In BGs assuming it's a 1v1 situation is retarded. In any group setting outside of 2s WW Monks are the weakest melee, simple as that.
    This is why monk is continually being overlooked. Most people's perception is that they are still weak. This is incorrect. They literally bring everything to the table and are difficult to kill. A good monk is an absolute machine. Looking at rep at the top is never a good idea either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    This is why monk is continually being overlooked. Most people's perception is that they are still weak. This is incorrect. They literally bring everything to the table and are difficult to kill. A good monk is an absolute machine. Looking at rep at the top is never a good idea either.
    It shows relative strength, so yes it's a decent measurement. Monks are good at dealing burst damage, but not burst in the opener like every other DPS class, this forces Monks to play with RShamans because they're the only healer that can consistently heal through heavy damage, especially on a Monk.

What is everything exactly? They bring stuns, heavy burst, decent sustained damage, a short CC, and they're squishy. Compare that to any other melee, a DK brings stuns, heavy burst, strong sustained damage, they're good survivability, can break multiple CCs, and Death Grip to mess with positioning. Warriors bring stuns, heavy burst, strong sustained damage, fear CC with a long CD, and strong survivability, and can break fear (the most common CC) every 30 seconds so they have high up time. Rogues bring tons of stuns, high burst, pretty mediocre sustained, absurdly good peels, and although they're squishy when out of CDs they have a lot of CC skills and are very slippery.

Monks have to sit in tons of CC, they have two trinkets sure, but they'll easily die in a stun so they need to save a trinket for that against most burst teams. Their uptime is usually lower than other classes, and they completely rely on crits. A 170k Rising Sun Kick could easily win a game, but a DK doing constant pressure all game is going to be far more consistent.

They are still weak, there's no two ways around that, they work in 3 comps (SPriest/Rsham/Monk, Lock/Rsham/Monk, and Hunter/Rsham/Monk) and outside of that their CC either DRs everyone elses, or they die instantly because their team lacks peels.

It shows relative strength, so yes it's a decent measurement. Monks are good at dealing burst damage, but not burst in the opener like every other DPS class, this forces Monks to play with RShamans because they're the only healer that can consistently heal through heavy damage, especially on a Monk.

What is everything exactly? They bring stuns, heavy burst, decent sustained damage, a short CC, and they're squishy. Compare that to any other melee, a DK brings stuns, heavy burst, strong sustained damage, they're good survivability, can break multiple CCs, and Death Grip to mess with positioning. Warriors bring stuns, heavy burst, strong sustained damage, fear CC with a long CD, and strong survivability, and can break fear (the most common CC) every 30 seconds so they have high up time. Rogues bring tons of stuns, high burst, pretty mediocre sustained, absurdly good peels, and although they're squishy when out of CDs they have a lot of CC skills and are very slippery.

Monks have to sit in tons of CC, they have two trinkets sure, but they'll easily die in a stun so they need to save a trinket for that against most burst teams. Their uptime is usually lower than other classes, and they completely rely on crits. A 170k Rising Sun Kick could easily win a game, but a DK doing constant pressure all game is going to be far more consistent.

They are still weak, there's no two ways around that, they work in 3 comps (SPriest/Rsham/Monk, Lock/Rsham/Monk, and Hunter/Rsham/Monk) and outside of that their CC either DRs everyone elses, or they die instantly because their team lacks peels.
    You are underplaying monks so badly. They bring more cc than any other melee outside of rogues, high mobility, high burst, high sustained, decent survivability through mobility, cds and cc. (are you really saying dks have better? Jesus...). Karma is a 1.5min cd bubble, its fucking so stupid. Yea you can block or bubble it, but a decent monk wont throw it on someone who can and thats only 2 of 11 classes anyway. You keep saying "dies in a stun". Who doesn't? Thats not a good argument. Fears hurt monks, but fear hurts all melee outside of warriors so thats hardly an argument, dks only have a 2 min cd fearbreak.

Monks can fill for warriors in any comp, in fact I think they are much more dangerous than warriors. Warriors are fairly overrated anyway imo. Assume a healer for a third and you get: Monk/spriest, monk/mage, monk/lock, monk/enh, monk/war, monk/hunter, hell stick a monk with nearly anything. I got rickrolled by a monk/boomkin/rsham just the other day around 2k; it was more pressure than shadowcleave, stupid amounts of healing from the dps, and the monk locked down or avoided every burst attempt like it was nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

Windwalker are in a nice place for anything, you can crit 50-80k at lvl 77 (with cata greens (yes cata greens not mop greens)

WW Monks are quite squishy.
    not at all!
    i played a ret pala bevor boosted my monk. its increadible what a monk can survive if you know how to conter some classes.
    against a warrior/dk/ret meele fight? no problem
    against the others,... well if it doesnt work out just use the easy "get >100 yards away abilities"

That being said, you don't have your whole tool kit yet. They can live fairly well in BGs where people don't focus target. But if you're hit by 2-3 people at once you'll probably die really fast.

True is they aren't squishy and should rank on top of a list to hardest to kill classes.

I saw the evidence by observing a (red) ww monk on the timeless isle. He had only honour gear not a single strong one pve item and no buffs at all. The dude killed 5 people at once. He never really got low in hp or just kites away.

Later i saw this dude soloing a whole raid of at least 20-30 man. He died not instantly, but when he died he kitet the whole fucking raid for about 5 minutes. He was hard to catch for even multiple people and they probably lacked a lot of ranged classe too but some hunters, locks and mages were participating, too. And he killed the frost mage.

Need to see a class that can accomplish that i saw even rogues getting obliterated faster than this ww monk. Was he an exceptional player? maybe. But in addition i have to say this was all on a dedicated pvp server EU Aegwynn.

And talking about the TE, he just got a false impression by judging pvp in lower brackets. Everything is a 1-2 shot there, really anything. The ww monk does still well for a melee but you better play a hunter or frost mage or melee tank spec like prot warriors with their 1 hit shield slams - i mean the oh so op arms warrior, has no place in the lower brackets either and gets obliterated in a few seconds by range burst or his own tank spec.
    Depending on the scaling of a bracket another class will be op, but hunters seem to be the overall best choice as some other classes only become availible until much later usually at lvl 60+.

What is everything exactly? They bring stuns, heavy burst, decent sustained damage, a short CC, and they're squishy. Compare that to any other melee, a DK brings stuns, heavy burst, strong sustained damage, they're good survivability, can break multiple CCs, and Death Grip to mess with positioning.
    u mad bro? part of the ww monks survivablity is his insane speed, cc and ability to kite. I don't see that on the dk, he is often the nr1 tunnel focus actually, cause he has no bubble/block and no ability to get away. WW monks can at least get a away and also have more tricks. A dk is just better than a ret who is currently the worst melee spec. Be glad about your ww monk design, i wished i would have that many buttons to press on my unholy dk....but currently enjoy my rogue and monk much more, which all 3 of them got prideful weapons. Dks are just a easy to play class, cause lack of options. Its a half naked class, if you consider abilities and buttons to press and very slow in exchange for some ranged abilities - an unhappy design.

The other plate class, warrior, can at least jump off screen.

I am disgusted by the lack of speed of the dk class. Started to use more death advance lately instead of the stun and don't look back. Maybe the ww monk as another hero class(i mean common the 50% xp buff for leveling) gets some important abilities cut out, come next expansion, similar to the dk when cata hit. Dks lost quite some abilities in old talent trees, some of them did counter melees actually, like mark of blood.

I'd say have fun with your ww monk while it lasts!
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2014-03-26 at 03:13 PM.

Monks are a pretty hardcore pvp class @90, the skillcap is however pretty high which means you'll be more likely to fuck up, but I honestly don't see any other melee class get close to a monk who's playing at it's full potential.

And ignore the 'balance' when leveling up, warriors are not running around 1 shotting everyone with shield slam at lvl 90.

They're fun but some areas where they may be tricky to pick up on are:

- Touch of Karma timing with: Spell Reflect, Grounding Totem, any immunity or before a class with an immunity has used it. Essentially anything that could be used to render one of your most potent defensive abilities worthless.
    - Not blowing your load on your breaks (Nimble Brew, Roll, Flying Serpent, etc). Decide when to use them offensively or defensively, depending on the situation.
    - Keeping Tiger Power up. It's so easy to forget but is a huge part of your damage.
    - Using Incap intelligently - sometimes you need it to get off a Leg Sweep or Disable.

It's all worth it when you finally get to take a giant shit on a Rogue or Hunter, though.

As a Warrior my worst nightmare is fucking Monk. Any sort of Monk. It's just retarded how OP they are. I could imagine that casters might have an easier time, but I don't know.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I hope nobody listens to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    I swear, if vanilla was released right now with updated graphics, it would be the laughing stock of the decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This whole thread explains in a pretty nice manner how can Beliebers exist.